Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

1349: The Road to War

a part of “1349: The Road to War”, a fictional universe by XavierDantius32.

For over a decade, England and France have been locked in embittered and bloody conflict, both sides reaping a heavy toll over the verdant fields of Western Europe.

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “1349: The Road to War”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby XavierDantius32 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:41 pm

This is the auto-generated OOC topic for the roleplay "1349: The Road to War"

You may edit this first post as you see fit.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

XavierDantius32
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Arc Warden Party Starter Tipworthy Lifegiver

Re: 1349: The Road to War

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Redred33mer on Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:00 pm

I am incredibly interested in your roleplay good sir, well done. However, one question. Does it matter if we are French or British? And to be clear, the war between them is over, correct? Those are the only two main points I wasn't clear on. Now, I mus begin... crafting... a character.

-Redred33mer
"The Redeemer has risen!"
Image"It is not living that matters, but Living rightly."

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Redred33mer
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby XavierDantius32 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:19 pm

You might want to research and familiarize yourself with the period a little more before you consider joining. I appreciate the enthusiasm but this RP is designed for people who are very familiar with the setting and the period.

At the point where the RP begins, a truce has been established between England and France after the massacre at Crecy, and due to the ravages of the Black Death that still grip both nations. Towards the end of 1349, Edward and his vassal in Gascony along with their counterparts in France are massing again.

Edward wants more of France, as is his birthright, and the French want to retake the territory they lost in Picardy.

I don't mind where your character hails from, so long as you put forward a convincing way of them to get to Gascony.

XavierDantius32
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Arc Warden Party Starter Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Redred33mer on Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:41 pm

I am familiar with things such as the technology, the methods, and I know of the hundred years war and Bubonic/Black Plague, but there are many obscure facts such as the different massacres, dates, and all the individual battles you don't learn in school. The names of Kings and lords, like Edward, I recognize but couldn't remember off the top of my head. So let me put forth what I know so far as to the setting.

-The Plague effected people's religious beliefs, and people characterized as flagellants emerged

-Catholicism is at large, along with their inquisitions/killing of heathens

-This is around the time of Joan of Arc (not sure of her exact lifespan)

-The Ottoman Empire recently lost control of the Iberian Peninsula

-This is also the time when the Longbow is to be or has been invented and the French will begin overpowering the British (as far as recorded history goes)

-Xbox 360 was totally invented during this time

I'm not clueless about the setting, but you know more of the times for sure, and how you worded some things in your intro it made me a little skeptical in my own understanding of the setting. This is just some of the things I learn in history class at school, if I need to look up anything further as to the setting, I can.

-Redred33mer

Redred33mer
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby XavierDantius32 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:54 am

It's refreshing to find an inexperienced person who's willing to learn! Your profile is really impressive, and I think you'll do fine if you can keep up with some more experienced people.

I have one slight issue with your profile, and that is the notion that your character could have written/produced a book, whilst hailing from a small village on the Scottish border. Writing, and reading (to some degree) was the preserve of the church and the nobility.

The nobility could afford to school themselves, and their children with the help of the priesthood, who were the only class that could realistically tackle the task of producing a legible text.

If you want to retain the aspect of the book, might I suggest you make him the bastard son of some Scottish lord, and he's been keeping a journal of his travels. This way, you can still incorporate the heritage of Wallace, and perhaps add another dimension to your character's history.

Another slight issue is that of his service in the English army. During this period, Scotland and England are still at war, and the Scottish have thrown their lot in with the French. This means that if Kieron showed up on the English side of the border, and was implicated in a murder they'd just execute him, or cut him down where he stood.

Don't feel as if you have to use any of this, I merely offer advice on how I personally would change things, so feel free to come up with your own solutions to address these issues.

XavierDantius32
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Redred33mer on Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:17 pm

Of course I would take your suggestions into consideration, and perhaps fill in gaps of his history or change some minor things of what I've already written. I do want my character approved. As you can see, as for my keeping up with learning, I'm not afraid to ask questions and it's rather easy to understand. It's just fact, and I try to revise my view/take on things as best I can to accommodate the truth. That would include the character profile (which I will soon edit), and any posts I would make.

To the profile!

-Redred33mer

Redred33mer
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Redred33mer on Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:49 pm

I have successfully edited Keiron's profile, adding a bit of Catholic influence to his childhood. His heavier involvement and interest in the priest's knowledge there I think would explain how Keiron came to be able to read. As for his existence within English boarders, I changed the reasons as to how he came into the police's custody, and I rewrote the reasons of why they kept him there. I did not change any of the excerpts, and I did not change the middle paragraph, which remains to be italicized for no God-forsaken reason kind of like this, and went on to reconcile his passing from the police's custody to a soldier. And I filled in a little of what happened in his travels in the English boarders. But nothing more than this.

-Redred33mer

Redred33mer
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby XavierDantius32 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:55 pm

Thanks for editing! Very happy with how your profile is looking right now. Just change policemen to "watchmen" as the police as a concept didn't crop up till the 18th/19th century.

XavierDantius32
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Oscarion on Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:16 pm

I wonder if it would be allowed to create a monk character with limited combat experience?

Oscarion
Member for 12 years
Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby XavierDantius32 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:24 pm

Sorry, I've got people in the process of creating characters, and when they submit we'll be at capacity. I'll drop you a private message if anyone drops out though.

XavierDantius32
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Redred33mer on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:47 pm

Yet another question for you.

Are people, not game-masters, allowed to make NPC's in this? If so, I had a few ideas for some related Keiron and the British army. And as they are NPC's and people I could care less about, I'd let others incorporate them into their story/history and make up some things about them too.

-Redred33mer

Redred33mer
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby XavierDantius32 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:26 am

Drop me a private message with the ideas you have, and I'll take a look. I may edit a few, but I'll try my best to slot them in somewhere.

On another note, the use of "Britain" did not arise till the 18th century, when Scotland was incorporated into the United Kingdom of Great Britain. Before this, it was England. Therefore, English. Sorry to be so nit-picky.

XavierDantius32
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby XavierDantius32 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:58 am

As we're approaching the start of the RP, I thought it appropriate to lay out my inspirations for this great adventure, and to set the tone for things to come.

The films that I'll be attempting to channel throughout the RP are Ironclad, and the Black Death. Both are gritty, brutal and unforgiving portrayals of medieval life. The former recounts a semi-fictionalized attempt to hold Rochester Castle against King John by a small band of misfits and ex-soldiers, led by a stoic Knight Templar.

The latter takes place in almost the same year as our roleplay, and follows the quest of an English lord to a village surrounded by marsh, kept free of plague by some unknown force. Superstition and belief play a large role in this film.

I recommend watching both of these, as they are both excellent films, and they give a feel of the environment I want to create in this roleplay.

My go-to book for our endeavour will be Azincourt by Bernard Cornwell. His command of the large battle, whilst allowing the reader to empathise with a small set of excellent characters. Azincourt follows an archer from the English fields, to the battlefield of Azincourt in 1415.

-Xav

XavierDantius32
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Redred33mer on Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:50 pm

Am I right to assume that posting is open?

Redred33mer
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby XavierDantius32 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:21 pm

Waiting on two other characters. Deadline is Saturday at 9pm GMT.

XavierDantius32
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ottoman on Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:00 pm

Hey y'all, Xav's had a bit of technical difficulty with his comp and the RP's beginning has been pushed back to Monday.

Salaam!

Ottoman
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Contributor Visual Appeal Lifegiver Tipworthy Greeter Concierge

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!