Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Competition: Healthy?

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

Competition: Healthy?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby RedRaine on Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:02 pm

I'm mostly asking this cause lately I've been watching a lot of America's Best Dance Crew and week after week I see people work their butts off only to get fried in the end. This led to thoughts of other competitive shows such as Hell's Kitchen, So You Think You Can Dance and Project Runway. Are these shows healthy to participate in? Is competition healthy to participate in?

That last question was also cause, like many others, I'm a pretty intense gamer. I work to refine my skills daily in all kinds of games: shooters, card games, strategy and Pokemon(it deserves its own category). I win hard, I lose hard. And I'm positive many gamers are the same. The rush you get when you win is sometimes so addictive you just work to get even better to continue that. However, statistics state that you're bound to lose at some point and that depressing era when you do just feels so... well... depressing.

Can competition be healthy or is it forever doomed to be an unhealthy part of our human nature?
~Still trying to fit all of my dreams in a pokeball.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

RedRaine
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Contributor Lifegiver Visual Appeal Greeter Concierge

Re: Competition: Healthy?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jag on Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:00 am

I think that competition, like most things, is healthy so long as it doesn't rise to the level of obsession. I know that my competitive nature stems from growing up competing in athletics all the way through high school and college, something that helped shaped me in the person that I am today.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Jag
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Greeter Party Starter Contributor Concierge Tipworthy Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sciamancer on Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:59 pm

Competition is good until people start making others significantly and purposely worse off in the process.
1. Join ASCO
2. Fight the monster.
3. Protect the people.
4. ???
5. Profit.

Sciamancer
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lukisod on Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:47 pm

Depends on what your goal is.

If your goal is to do something better/faster/more efficiently then competition is the best thing you can do. No one improves unless there is something to improve on. If you are constantly trying to improve compared to another skill, then your own skill grows, and they in turn must get better to stay competitive. Overall, things get better for performing that task.

If you're talking about everyone having fun then only in a specific instance where both levels of skill are very evenly matched. If it's constantly one person or team owning the other, than there is no more challenge for the winners and and it disheartens the losers.
"Perhaps we should perform a study on the effectiveness of studies?"

Lukisod
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nyxeth on Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:25 pm

Competition breeds improvement, however as stated prior the competition is only healthy assuming no undue strain is placed upon the competitors where it can be avoided, which is why the majority of reality TV competitions (such as Hells Kitchen) are unhealthy, as the show, judges and producers force the contestants into situations that are not required and purely exist to improve the viewer enjoyment/ratings.

Nyxeth
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby jajganker on Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:33 am

I think some competition is healthy, but not all. I mean, those shows may be fun to watch, but I don't think it's healthy competition. I think the only really healthy competition is the kind that helps you grow in your knowledge of something and yourself. Overall, if you only gain a prize from it, it's not healthy.
"Meet me once again down off Lake Michigan where we can feel the storm blowing down with the wind. And don't apologize for all the tears you've cried. You've been way too strong now for all your life."-Closer to Love by Mat Kearney

jajganker
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dealing with it on Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:00 am

Competition is unhealthy beyond the logical extremes of competitive action. These include competing after one has already achieved the goal, and after one is soundly defeated. As well, when there is an0ther, non-competitive way of achieving the goal, that should be used instead. When one is disinterested in obtaining the prize of the competition, competing is insane. And lastly, when one has only oneself to compete with, maintaining the spirit of competition is just pointless: just take what you want, clean and efficiently.

Otherwise, those shows are the modern equivalent of gladiatorial games. Very plebeian.

dealing with it
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 13 years
Contributor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Greeter Beta Tester Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dionkar336 on Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:18 pm

Competition can help make you better at something. Me and my friend, KumoriRyuu, do weightlifting at least twice a week, often 3 times. We compete, but not directly with each other. We compete with ourselves, and we occasionally set challenges for each other (usually its something like "try this exercise, or do this many reps).

I feel competition is good when you compete with yourself, and when a friendly atmosphere is maintained. When I compete directly against others, I never make the loser feel bad about losing. I acknowledge they tried their hardest, I compliment what they did well, and I offer advice for improvement, if they wish it.
I see myself as an intelligent, sensitive human, with the soul of a clown which forces me to blow it at the most important moments.

dionkar336
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!