Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

(IC) Fight or Flight

a topic in Futuristic Roleplay, a part of the RPG forum.

If you would like to make your own roleplay based in the future of any sort, use this forum. You will be in charge of all things related to your roleplay, so you're on your own here.

Re: (IC) Fight or Flight

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby prophetic_fury on Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:14 am

Looking up at the road sign Dan found that he was on Michigan Avenue. He had stumbled onto the street while looking for someplace with food. With shaky hands he drew his pistol as he continued down the street. It had been nearly thirty minutes since the cannibals yet the adrenaline withdraw was still having an effect on his nerves. Jumpy is good, Dan told himself, Jumpy is alert and alert is alive. It was the type of thinking he'd picked up flying over Afghanistan. It's what he used to tell himself when the LZ wasn't scouted, secure, and known hostiles were in the area.

Down the road where strip malls and larger commercial sales outlets. Too big and too dangerous to scrounge for supplies. They might make for a good hide and some of the buildings were large enough to scout the area from the roof. Instead he decided to start his salvaging in a convenience store. The broken windows and spray paint proved that he wasn't the first here.

Daniel didn't bother with the door. Squeaky hinges and the broken glass and debris would make too much noise if a stim was within. Instead he just stepped through the missing window. Dan brought his pistol up to a high ready. Keeping the sights at eye level but he kept his head back from the gun and both eyes open. In the main store the light from outside was plenty to illuminate the room. He quickly scanned down the rows of shelves. Most of the items had been knocked to the floor. Almost all that remained was rotted or useless.

Dan progressed to the cashier's counter. Signs of a struggle and violence was evident. Blood was spattered on the liquor and tobacco stock on the back wall. Dried blood had stained the floor seeping around the counter. With pistol ready Dan leaned over the counter to see a highly decomposed corpse laying on the tile floor. A beaten and bloody baseball bat sat next to the body. Must of happened during the first outbreaks, the shop boasted 24hr service on the door. Sneaking by the dead body Dan made for the back store room.

The door was slightly open. Peeking inside all Dan could see was darkness. His eyes couldn't adjust to the dark room with all the ambient light from the sun. Reaching to his belt Dan withdrew his mini-maglight from it's holster, another hold habit from his army days. Holding the pistol in his right arm and the light in his left, Dan slowly opened the door. When it was fully opened he flashed his light repeatedly. It was enough for him to see but anyone on the other side would be temporarily blinded by the flashes. The store room was empty and ransacked.

Confident that the building was uninhabited Dan turned back to the merchandise on the shelves. Most of the items on the floor he just kicked over with his foot. He gave a slight chuckle at the twenty or so packs of untouched condoms. Continuing through the debris he finally found some items of worth. Four cans of cat food, a bottle of aspirin and a single bottle of unopened water. Dan removed his backpack and knelt down placing the items within. Although his stomach growled for nourishment he had the willpower not to start feasting. This store was too exposed. Stepping onto the street he looked further down the road. Ahead was a Macy's that seemed almost untouched. The windows weren't even broken. He was certain he could find a stairwell or backroom to sit and have a meal.

Shouldering his pack again Dan used the back alley to approach and found a workers/fire exit. The door was locked but all it took was a swift and heavy kick to dislodge the door jam. Slipping inside Dan was forced to draw his flashlight again. He used the same flicker and flash technique to clear the door way. He was fortunate that the door lead straight into a stairwell. It was exactly what he was looking for. A swift exit if someone came from inside. If they followed him in he could just slip onto any of the three floors and lose his pursuers in the store and find an alternate exit.

Climbing to the landing on the second floor Dan moved to the corner and dropped his pack. He actually felt like he could relax, well as much as one could when in a city full of stims. From his pack he drew the water and a single can of cat food. With no can opened he cut the top off with a well used knife, that he also attached to his belt. Using just his bare hand he ate the food slowly and washed it down with the lukewarm water. It tasted like a kings feast.
"I'm gonna kick some ass with my own pipe wrench" http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/e062d7b4d5

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

prophetic_fury
Member for 16 years
Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Send Me An Angel on Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:49 am

Zenaida had her children barricade in a elementary school restroom, while she went to search for some gasoline. Pulling around a large gas can with wheels, a Colt 45 tucked into her pants, and a baseball bat; she had learned over the past year to shoot a gun and beat Stims heads in. Not really something that a RN wants to do but she didn't have a choice she had to protect her children. She hated to have to leave them by themselves but she had to find some gas to put in their small compact car. It was this car that had saved them on many occasions it's what kept her and her children a step ahead of the monsters that roamed the once great city of Chicago. She found an abandoned SUV, she pried open the gas door she could smell the fume as soon as she got it open. She glanced around the area to see if the coast was clear, so far so good. She set down the baseball bat but made sure it was still in reach, now the gas can conveniently had a siphoning system in it and she never had to suck from a hose. She had found it in a hard ware store not long after the shit hit the fan and was happy she didn't have accidentally drink gas. She soon had the gas filling into the bright red gas can, surprisingly there was quite a bit in this tank, the can could hold up to 14 gallons of gas which was plenty for their small car. Soon the can was full and Zenaida almost felt like crying, she kissed the cross on the rosary around her neck, closed the lid on the can, picked up her baseball bat, and then started to make her way quickly back to her children.

As she was walking she knew she wasn't alone and knew she was being watched. The wheels of the can echoing around the empty streets and building giving off and eerie sound. She soon saw what her instincts had been telling her, a woman or what had been a woman at some time was stumbling through the street, moaning and growling. Zenaida felt for these people they had been human once perhaps had a family, children. But that is what she had to think about she pulled the gun she had tucked in her waist band, cocked the hammer back, and as soon as she got close enough pulled the trigger sending a bullet in between the Stims eyes and into its brain pan. Bits of bone and mater shot out the back of the zombie woman's head and she soon hit the ground. She was glad her children where not with her this time she hated having to explain to them why their mother had become a coldblooded killer. They were still to young to understand, everything that was going on Ramon was just now starting to understand and had also learned how to use a gun. Before the sound of the gun shot attracted more zombies, Zenaida ran to their little home on wheels. The little blue Geo Metro, that held their life, she quickly went over to the tank stuck the nozzle of the can in the filler tube and began to fill her tank. She never let the car get under a half a tank so she knew that she would still have gas left over in the gas can. She as soon as half the gas can was int cars fuel tanks she took out the nozzle and put it in the hatch of the car along with all of their other belongs.

She quickly made her way into the school and came to the restroom door. Zenaida knocked first then she heard her little son come to the crack at the bottom of the door. “¿Cuál es la contraseña?”( Whats the password?) she had taught him this to try to keep them safe when she had to leave them. “Dulces besos de la madre” (Sweet kisses from mother.), she answered. “Mommy!”, she heard cheering from both children in the room and then various objects being moved from behind the door. As the door unlocked and the door opened Zenaida could feel her heart skip a beat, she was soon tackled by her two children, “Mommy we missed you” said Lupe as she kissed her mother on the cheek, Ramon threw his arms around her neck, “Did I do a good job while you were gone Mommy?”, he asked. Zenaida smiled with tears starting to form in her eyes, “Yes mi hijo you did wonderful my big strong boy. But we have to go now quickly before the monsters come okay”. Both children gather what they had and made their way to the car. With all of them piled in the car, Zenaida said a quick prayer, thanking God for everything they had and that they would travel safely, “Are we all buckled in?”, asked Zenaida “Yes”, the two children said in unison. With that she started the engine and started out of the area they were in not really knowing where to go. She had heard of a place in Montana that supposedly was like a refugee camp for people still living. She didn't know if it was true but she figured it might be worth it, but still it seemed so far a way and it was easier to stay in the area maybe she could someone that actually knew for sure. So she went in search of someone that could help her and her children.
Sophocles, c. 496-406 BC
One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life; that word is love.

My theme song!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Send Me An Angel
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mephisto on Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:40 pm

Agreeing with the newcomer's thoughts on the welding, Bishop got to work. Roland assisted him some when he asked for it, making sure not to look directly at the light. He guarded with a hand when he could. He looked to the new arrival, who seemed to be trying to relax since she was finally as safe as she had probably ever been in a long time. It was only about an hour ago or less that he himself and Bishop arrived here themselves, and were able to take a breather and a much needed break from the perpetual paranoia that was everyday life now days. It became the unspoken law-of-the-land. If you weren't ready at all times- well, those people are probably long gone.

Roland listened to the newcomer, making eye-contact as often as he could. He couldn't help it. She was the first attractive face he'd seen in so long. The only women he'd seen lately were either the degraded humans trying eat him or the one that were pacified and lounging about or moving sluggishly due to the need to recover. Other than them, there was the very, very rare, occasional survivor. The ones Roland had encountered were all too bent on survival and were as hazardous to his survival as the other monsters that roamed the streets. Sanity was, sadly, even more rare than it had been when civilization still existed.

"You got it all wrong," Roland said to the woman gently. "Miss Hawthorn was it? I am Roland Svensson." he offered his hand in a typical handshake. "It's really nice to meet you."

Sure it was pretty odd to use the pleasantries that were now quite out of practice. However, old habits died hard. He was a respectful individual and he wasn't going to be discourteous to another normal person. Not now days. Especially a woman. Unfortunately, they were somewhat of a rarity these days for some reason. So much for more females than males born to maintain the fertility of the species... Roland's thoughts then went to the feel of the woman's hand. It was pretty rugged than what he was used to women's hands being like, but he understood why. The brief moment of his touching her soft skin refreshed Roland's spirits a bit. Something that happened so often since things went south that he could count the instances on one hand. In any case, he was grateful to have a new companion.

"Anyway, I'm not the marine here," Roland continued. "Bishop is that man you're looking for." Roland grinned at the strange but welcome guest. She was clearly tied to the military one way or another.

The door wasn't too beat up from being pried off. With the combined efforts of the two men, the door was properly welded to the frame in only a few minutes. This was good. Once the torch was silenced, the sounds from the other side got clearer. Bishop went prone against the door, his hand cupped to his ear that was pressed to it.

"They're at the barricade," he finally said. "It doesn't sound like they're having any success though. I think they've been there for at least a minute or two... nice work you two," he said as he turned to face his fellow survivors. "In the event they somehow manage to get in that room, there is no way in hell or on earth they can make it though this." The marine slapped the door twice as he finished his spiel. "I am Master Sargent Bishop. You are Neveah Hawthorn, correct?" Bishop returned the salute he received. ((Sorry. Making an assumption off what I've read of Veah so far, can change if need be. :D)) "At ease," he said calmly. "There's really no chain of command anymore, though I truly appreciate your retained respect." He paused, and looked up to the foreman's roost. He then nodded up to it. "Let's relocate back to our base of operations. That's where Roland and I stashed our stuff. He and I desperately need to regain our strength. Food and many hours of sleep priority one, now that we're certain the perimeter is secure. The only way in and out now, other than the windows up top, or any other way out up there, is though that room there."

With his back still to the door, he turned to point to the right, behind Roland. They all looked and saw a door. There was a dark room beyond. "In there, in the back corner, is the only way in and out of this ground floor. It's a secure, locked door. I figured that we should have it available just in case... anyway, let's head up. We can talk more once I have something in my belly." Bishop cracked a slight smile. Another rarity. Roland noted how fortunate they seemed to be today. It's about goddamn time, he thought as he sighed, finally completely at ease.

Suddenly, a commotion on the far side the warehouse. It sounded outside, around where Roland and Bishop had entered the warehouse. Gunshots and calls, as well as the unpleasant sounds of the degraded. The group froze and listened, trained on the eastern front. It all died down pretty quick, and whoever was outside was gone and had taken the horse with them. After exchanging confused looks, Roland suggested they just continue on up. The three made their way up the ramp to the foreman's office.

Roland allowed himself to be last in. Of course he wanted the lady to be first, no matter how hardcore she was. Besides, he needed to be rearguard. Bishop's rifle was in the office after all. After locking the door behind him just in case, he offered Neveah the foreman's plush chair beside his awkward Mac/radio contraption upon the desk. Bishop, sat on a desk opposite the room next to the water cooler. It wasn't cold water, but it would do. Roland sat in a more rigid chair on the other side of the cooler. After a moment he stood up again and dragged a table form the back of the office to the center. He then retrieved his pack of supplies and laid on there. "Shall we eat," Roland asked. He was counting on the new arrival to make good on her offer of pooling supplies. Not waiting, however, Roland dug in and pulled out four power bars. He tossed two to Bishop, who caught them with no effort whatsoever. The pair then ripped off the plastic, kicked back, and began to thoroughly enjoy their feast.

Mephisto
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Blue Bonnets on Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:41 pm

"You got it all wrong," Roland said to the woman gently. "Miss Hawthorn was it? I am Roland Svensson." he offered his hand in a typical handshake. "It's really nice to meet you."

Neveah was somewhat shocked by Rolands manners, not that Neveah didn't have any but her father didn't use them often so she really wasn't used to it. She smiled slightly when he shook her hand, “Likewise”, she said “I'm sorry about just dropping in on you guys like this but, I've been by myself for a couple of weeks and well its just allot easier when you have someone to cover your back”, she felt the sadness she felt for the loss of her father begin to creep up on her again but she quickly, pushed the feeling deep with in her again.

"Anyway, I'm not the marine here," Roland continued. "Bishop is that man you're looking for." Roland grinned at the strange but welcome guest.

Neveah smiled and shook her head, “Well technically neither am I but, my father was in the Army and he trained me as a soldier, he wasn't always sane, but we wouldn't have survived if he hadn't raised me like he did. I guess he was right about one thing America was gonna go to hell in a hand basket and if this isn't hell then what is.”When Bishop turned around, Neveah could see fatigue beginning to catch up to and Roland.

"I am Master Sargent Bishop. You are Neveah Hawthorn, correct?" Bishop returned the salute he received. "At ease," he said calmly. "There's really no chain of command anymore, though I truly appreciate your retained respect." He paused, and looked up to the foreman's roost. He then nodded up to it. "Let's relocate back to our base of operations. That's where Roland and I stashed our stuff.”

Neveah nodded, to Bishop, flowing him into the office, she smiled at Roland again when he offered her the only seat in the room for the most part. “I'm sorry it's just habit I guess, my father and I always interacted with each other that way, I think it was the only way he could really communicate.”She grabbed her pack and began to unpack her small camp stove and the meager supplies, she looked at them eating their power bars, “I've got some Ramen and can of Spam I've been saving for a special occasion I think this is special enough. How about I cook you guys something warm for once?”, she was enjoying herself it was nice to have actual people to talk to. Neveah had to admit even under the sweat and grime, both men were easy on the eyes. She began set the fuel going on her stove, then she pulled out her stainless still bowl, “It's been a few weeks since I've cooked this big of a meal”, she began to hum to herself as she milled around her make shift kitchen. Using her knife to cut up the Spam and tossing it with the Ramen. “It may not be the best combination in the world but it's the best damn thing I've seen to eat in a while”, she said as turned the fire off on the stove.

Soon she had the little meal prepared, “Soups on”, she said to the men, setting out her two bowls and two forks. Dividing the odd meal equally between the three of them, Neveah took the metal bowl to eat out of leaving the nicer bowls for the men. “Eat up guys, it's not much but you guys helped me out so it's the least I could do”, she said as she began to eat her portion of the meal. The saltiness of the Spam and the oriental flavor of the Ramen was actually quite palatable. To Neveah it tasted almost as good any gourmet meal.
Awws you know its cute

Blue Bonnets
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TheRavenandThePawn on Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:06 pm

What… was beauty? To many it may be peace, flowers, family, or art… but to one man it was not so petty. Well these other forms were petty to him at least. No his beauty was here… mangled corpses beneath his feet… the still thrashing creature which he had impaled on his machete which he held into the air contemplating what to do with it. He idly lowered it before kicking it off of his blade. When it came stumbling back towards him he drove his heel into its solar plexus and watched it crumple up. He looked around with a bored expression exhaling a cloud of smoke from one side of his mouth. “Maybe… this would be fun if I taught them how to use guns… and then killed them. This hardly sporting after all bum rushing me head first. Its like butchering a calf… hardly worth the effort I say.”

He crouched beneath a lunge watching as it hit the floor and scrambled up on its limbs. As it ran towards him he side stepped and cloths-lined it before brutally hacking into its flesh with his machete. “Die Die! God Damn it stop your twitching. Your squirming is getting blood on my shirt… and it was very difficult to find a generator and a working dry cleaner to get the stains out of it the first time.” He gave it one last punch to relieve some more of his aggression on the creature. “Aw dead already… super my ass…” He stood up brushing off his shirt which was luckily spared due to the vest of explosives he wore over it. He checked to see if his good old baby was still there in his belt mounted holster before doing a rough count of his butcher knives. He sneezed briefly before flicking out his old cigarette and took out a new one in which he promptly walked over to a still burning building to light it. He leaned against a wall which still managed to stand even though the rest of it had burned down. He watched as something on the edge of his visibility caught his attention a car? Not a very nice one… why didn’t anyone drive sports cars… or even tanks. That would be fun, he mused to himself the possibilities of destruction he could cause with a single piece of heavy armor. He eyed the Geo Metro as it neared and thought of how ugly it looked… maybe some nails driven outwards from the hood… some bars on the side to decapitate shit then it might be something worthwhile… but it had nothing to increase his ‘productivity’.
And… Here… We… Go..!

If I kill you in a forest and there isn't a law against it... is it murder?

I got 99 Souls but a Witch ain't one.

Need more players for my newest role-play World War Five If interested please join.

TheRavenandThePawn
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby CherrySwirl on Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:41 pm

Once inside Nikko and Alex climbed from a stairwell and to the first floor of the Water Tower Mall. Looking up the place was enormous. It stretched so high it seemed like the top was unreachable.

"You think there's anyone here?" Nikko asked Alex scanning the surrounding area carefully.

"Well, maybe the security guards or the janitor. But I doubt it this place looks untouched. All the stores on this floor are locked up. If there were anyone here they probably abandoned it." Alex answered starting to seem unsure about their decision. "Along with the keys to open any of these shops. We might not be able to scavenge any supplies, but we should at least secure an area to rest at."

"You're right about that." Nikko began biting his nail when an idea hit him. "Surveillance room." Alex perked p at Nikko's sudden out burst. "This place has to have a surveillance room somewhere, right? If we can find it we'll be able to check out the entire interior of the building including the exterior. We'll be able to see if any one is still in the place and who knows there might be an extra set of master keys somewhere too."

"You might have a point" Alex admitted.

Nikko grinned. "I have no idea where it could be though. I suggest we split up. We'll be able to cover more ground that way."

"Right because splitting up is smart."

Nikko reached into his bag and pulled out a samsung touch phone and handed it to Alex. The phone belonged to his late brother and held a small amount of sentimental value. "Take this. my number is in the phone book. Call me or text me if you find anything or need my help. I'll do the same." WIth that Nikko departed charging up a nearby escalator to search the second floor.

CherrySwirl
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zombicide93 on Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:46 am

Crazy kid, Alex thought to himself.
"Kid? what the hell am I saying? I'm not even 30 yet", he mumbled.
Alex took the glock in a two handed grip with his left hand covering the right hand, and began to move forward slowly, checking the first floor as Nikko covered the second. He looked around as he moved, passing clothes stores, kiosks, and electronic stores, the mall was eerily empty, most of the lights were off and every store had its gate locked down. As Alex passed a corner, he looked outside and spotted a desicrated corpse propped up against the door, a bloody smear leading from the door handle to his hand on the ground. he made his way to the first set of glass doors, and opened them, but soon realized how the man died when he tried to open the second doors that led outside and they were locked, and further investigation of the body outside led Alex to discover a keyring clutched in the man's hand.
The poor bastard had died trying to unlock the door.
Alex took out the cell phone Niko had given him, looked through the cell's phone book and found Niko's number, and called him.

"Everything cool?" Niko said as soon as he answered the phone.
"Yeah, but I found what looks like a set of master keys on a dead body, but its on the other side of a thick glass door, I'm going to have to break the glass, so get ready for company if the noise attracts any unwanted guests that may already be in here", Alex said.
"Chances are slim we'll get attacked though, looks like just cleaning staff and night guards were here, unless some of these poor bastards were using stims, I don't see a good reason minor security and cleaning crew would use stims though", Niko responded.
"Lets hope. Oh and I can use this key set to lock the inner doors, so we won't have to worry about the broken glass in the outter set of doors".
"Right on" Niko said.
"Let me know if you find a store with any kind of fire arms or anything we can use as a weapon, and I'll head up there with the keys, then we can find the surveillance room", Alex said.
"Gotcha", Niko replied.
"Alright, be waiting for me at the escalator", Alex said before ending the call and placing the phone in his pocket.
He then aimed the glock at the thick glass door, turned his face to avoid any glass from flying into his eyes, and fired two shots into the glass.
The first shot went through, and left a bullet sized hole and a few cracks, the second went through fairly close to the first and broke a chunk from the glass and made the cracks larger, Alex then planted his boot into the broken glass and shattered what remained of the door. He stopped and listened carefully for any shrieks or footsteps, then stepped though and snatched the keys from the dead night guard, then turned to lock the inner door as a he stepped through and started at a brisk jog to the escalator.

Zombicide93
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mephisto on Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:53 am

Both Bishop and Roland looked to each other, sexist jokes aside, this was awesome. The new comer, Neveah, was going to make them a hot meal. As simple as it was, it sounded like a goddamned feast of kings. After their brief glance, they looked back to the woman. Neveah was already making the dinner. The men would normally start semi-lecturing the young woman on rationing, but they recalled the facts that Neveah had not only survived this long as well, but she had military training from her father. She would know everything they would say, and they didn't want to needlessly irritate or upset their new ally for no reason. Besides, finding her was a special occasion enough to splurge a bit. And it most defiantly was for her as well. And ultimately, it was her supplies. She could do what she wanted. And even more importantly then that, both Bishop and Roland desperately needed as much as they could get right now to refuel their thanks. They had used a lot of adrenaline today. Rest and food was so imperative to their survival right now, they most certainly need to just shut up and enjoy the food, and the safe haven they found, while they could. To day was a lucky day indeed, in at least three ways.

"Soup's on," Neveah said. Roland smiled at her slightly in an affirmative response. They sat in silence for a bit. All three recovering from a chaotic day. They all waited in anticipation as the soup cooked.“Eat up guys," Neveah finally said. "It's not much but you guys helped me out so it's the least I could do”

"You're very welcome. We're glad to have you," Roland said with another slight smile. "Thanks a lot for dinner." Bishop nodded at the young woman as well, already devouring the soup. He slurped a noodle silently as he did so. They were both very grateful. The soup was to kill for, and they had killed many things today to earn this. It was a nice break from the mostly sweet tasting stuff they'd been living off of. The saltiness was great. And the meat! This woman defiantly knew how to make a man happy. Her crazy old man did more than teach her to survive, whether she knew it or not.

Roland chuckled. "This idea of yours for the soup reminds me of what I used to do in my college days. I would make the ramen and add the seasoning as normal, and then tear up lunch meat and add teriyaki sauce. You let it cook for a minute or two. The meat and noodles soaks up the teriyaki. Man, that was simple, but good eatin', too." He hoped his subtle compliment at the end had gotten through. He then continued to devour the soup.

"So, Ms. Hawthorn," Roland began again. "Where are you from? I am from Michigan. Got a better job out here with Microsoft-"

"He hates Macs," Bishop said between bights of his power bar that was his desert. Roland sighed, glancing at the cannibalized laptop beside him, then lowered his head.

"Yeah... was the happiest day of my life to finally transfer." It was nice to talk about stuff that was so frivolous now days. Roland then began on his power bar while he listened to Neveah's story. When she was clearly done with her meal, he reached in his bag and rummaged a moment while he located a double chocolate power bar. With women, you can't go wrong with chocolate, right? Roland thought. He then made an underhand tossing motion without releasing the bar. "Here, have one of these," he said kindly before tossing it gently to her.

Mephisto
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby CherrySwirl on Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:08 am

"Sweet. Now we're getting somewhere." Niko said to himself hoping that Alex was able to retrieve the keys without any problems. He turned the corner leading to the escalators where he and Alex departed. When he arrived at the top of them he looked down, scanning the first floor for any signs of life. He saw nothing. "He's not here yet.," the anxious teen concluded. Niko began to make his way down to the first floor when he heard a sound. His head snapped around to be greeted with a smack to the head by something thick and hard. Niko fell back, tumbling halfway down the still escalator. He tried to pull himself up, but a pair of legs appeared over him and gave him another whack, leaving him unconscious.

When Niko opened his eyes his vision was swimming. He was slumped on a cold linoleum floor. As his vision steadied he found a round face with white vertical stripes staring back at him. He shook his head and blinked his eyes a couple of times before things cleared completely. The stripes weren't stripes at all. They were white bars and the round face was...well, it was still a round face. "Wait. Bars?" Niko mumbled pulling himself upright.

"Well, look here. Our little princess is awake. How you feelin, honey?" the man's voice made Niko cringe. He was wearing a navy blue outfit with a matching cap on that read 'security' in big white letters, all capital. His face was fat and greasy. Niko wondered how anyone could stay plump in times like this.

His hand jumped to the side of his head as the pain from the blow he suffered signaled it's presence. Ignoring the man's question Niko asked his own. "Where am I?"

"Oh about that." The fat security guard who was just squatting stood up straight. Although his clothes appeared big on him, Niko could still see alot rolling around under them. "Yeah, well we can't be havin trespassers rollin around our property takin whatever they want now can we? So, we had to lock ya up to make sure you weren''t gonna do anything...crazy! It's a shame too because you are the prettiest thing I've laid my eyes on in a long time." The man reached a finger through the bars, flicking one of Niko's frizzy curls.

For a second Niko was glad he was behind bars. "Okay, well now you see I'm not crazy. So, let me out of here."

"Can't do that."

"Why the hell not!?" Niko growled. He was so furious that he subconsciously started grinding his teeth. The security guard made a faux sympathetic face.

"You see I wanted you to myself, but Jim haven't had none in a long time and I promised him he'd get the next piece meat we came across."

Niko didn't like the sound of what he was hearing. He stood up and then flew backwards, slamming against the bars. In the corner of the cell was a Stim head slumbering like an infant in a fetal position. It wore a tattered and ragged navy blue outfit much like the fat man's, but revealed more of the pale monster than Niko cared to see.

"Yep, that's Jim. He may have gone a little coo-coo, but he's still a comrade and we mall staff stand by our comrades no matter what." The fat man spoke with pride. "He haven't had anything to eat in a long time though. He only eats raw meat, but all of that around here is spoiled." Niko looked at him like he was insane.

"You're out of your fuckin mind! You fat son of a bitch!"

"And you're dinner, you gorgeous slice of jail bait." The security guard laughed obnoxiously then began knocking his night stick against the steel bars. The creature stirred, flipping over on all fours. Niko frantically searched the cell with his eyes for his bat or the remington, but the cell was only littered with trash. Niko's eyes flashed outside the cell and he saw the bat and his bag leaning against the wall.

Great.

"The both of you have a good time. I have to go handle some business." The plump security guard smirked and wobbled over to a door. When he opened it. Niko got a glimpse inside. He saw another man sitting in a chair and a wall full of monitors. Possibly he wasn't sure, but it looked like Alex was on one of the screens. The stim head made a gargling noise. Niko turned his attention back to it. Grimacing at the the overflowing saliva oozing from it's mouth. Niko reached into his shoe and yanked out an army knife he had tucked in there since he left his brother's apartment.

He pointed his knife towards the creature that was crouching as if it were about to spring forward like a leopard on a gazelle. "This isn't the first time I've been cornered by one of you." Niko told it. "So, don't think you'll be the first to kill me." He hoped.

CherrySwirl
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby prophetic_fury on Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:47 pm

Dan heard the gun fire from within the building and immediately perked up. He choked down the rest of the cat food and grabbed his pistol. Moving quickly to the interior door on the second floor he slowly cracked it open. To his surprise the building still had some power. He walked past the stores keeping out of sight as much as possible and did his best not to kick the detritus littering the floor.

It was only a minute till he saw a portly man in a blue uniform waddle by with more speed than his physique allowed. Out of sight Dan followed the security guard. Naturally suspicious of strangers Dan didn't make his presence known. He had his pistol drawn and held low with his arms extended ready to bring it up and fire. Peeking around a soda machine he watched as the guard drew his night stick and began an attempt at sneaking. The guard peered around and Dan jerked back behind his cover. While hiding Dan heard a loud thwack. The noise of the impact was followed by a tumble and another loud smack.

Dan took cover as he heard the guard returning. As the fat man passed Dan noticed the man was carrying another person over his shoulder. Puzzled Dan followed back the way they had came. Sneaking along the hallways Dan followed the man to a security control room. He watched as he carried the man through another door to what looked like cells. Dan peeked around the control room. It wasn't till he looked into the bag-less trash can that the whole situation dawned on him. Inside he found bones that looked to have come from a hand.

Dan quickly took cover behind a server bank and waited for the fat man to return. The guard re-entered the room licking his lips and took a seat at infront of the security monitors. Drawing his weapon up Dan got a bead on the back of the guard's head. He approached silently and the guard was busy watching the camera feed from the cell room. Over the guard's shoulder Dan could see the young man backed up to the bars with a knife drawn against the other man in the cell. Even without audio or color it was clear to see the other cell mate was a stim head. That was all he could take, Dan made his presence known by placing his glock on the back of the man's head. "Give me the key's you sick fuck."

The guard was shocked and frightened to move. Dan thought he needed to command him again, "keys asshole." The guard's right arm shook with fear as he grabbed his keys from his waist. With his other hand the guard was reaching for his nightstick. He thought that Dan didn't notice but the fat bastard wasn't very stealthy. Without hesitation Daniel pulled the trigger. The round exited the man's right eye and tore a massive hole through his flesh before embedding itself into the security console. The monitors died instantly and Dan reached for the keys.

Leaving the guard leaking blood across the floor Dan moved to the cell room and immediately placed four rounds into the stim through the bars. Two bullets hit the stim in the chest staggering it. The third round punctured the monster's neck and the last shot hit it's mark in the head of the beast. "You ok kid? I'm gonna get you out."

Flipping through the keys Dan started trying them all and got halfway through before he found the right one. The cell door opened and Dan looked to the prisoner. "I'm Daniel, what's your name?"

prophetic_fury
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby CherrySwirl on Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:22 pm

"Niko," he replied with an awkward grin. He wasn't sure what to make of this new character, Daniel, but it seemed like they were on the same side and that was good enough for Niko, for the time being anyway. "Thanks for saving my life." Niko exited the cell too excitedly. He basically jumped out the door, closing it himself and stared grudgingly at the twitching corpse of the Stim named Jim. He slid back on his book bag and grabbed his bat then entered the surveillance room. Niko shook his head at the corpses slumped on the floor. He was happy that they weren't a threat,, but at his core it pained him to see more people die. The monitors were all dark and smoke was rising from the console. Niko knelt down beside the fat guard patting his pockets. He felt something flat and rectangular. He reached into it pulling out his iPhone. "Win."

Niko stood up turning to speak to Daniel. "I have a friend around here somewhere. I'm going to call him over here, so uhhh don't shoot him." he joked. "Alex, I err found the surveillance room. It's a long story." he exited the room and entered a long hallway that connected to the open mall. "Okay, come up to the fourth floor. Make a right from the escalators and enter the long hall by the Claire's store. Alright, I'll leave the door open." The call ended and Niko went back to the surveillance room. "Okay, let's get these bad boys out of here before they start to smell..." Niko said squatting down to hook the fat security guard's legs. After making a few unsuccessful tugs he dropped them. "How about you get this one and I'll take care of that dude?"

CherrySwirl
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zombicide93 on Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:46 pm

After Niko hung up the phone, Alex started up three different escalators, quickly and quietly maneuvering over each floor, his gun out and ready.
A couple of minutes later, he reached the Claire's store and turned down a long hallway with an open door at the end. As Alex entered, he noticed the dead stim-head in the cell, blood spattering the wall and floor, then he smelled smoke and followed it to the broken security console with Niko and another man standing beside the dead guard slumped over the controls, the back half of his head was a mess.

"What the hell happened here Niko?'', Alex asked in a monotone voice.
"Like I said, long story, but this guy saved me from a stim-head and a crazy mall guard", Niko said nodding at the stranger.
"I take it that this is your handy-work", Alex said, looking at the dead guard and the stim-head in the cell, then at the stranger who just nodded a confirmation. "So since your not dead, I take it your okay Niko? anything need stitching or pain killers?".
"Nah, I'm good", Niko replied.
"Good to hear', Alex said as he turned to the other man.
"My names Alex" he said, offering a handshake to the stranger.

Zombicide93
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mephisto on Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:54 am

Neveah graciously accepted the treat as Roland had the soup. The three scarfed down the last of their meager meal and all took advantage of the water cooler. It wasn't the best water he'd had in his life, but it was drinkable. Roland didn't even consider complaining because clean water wasn't as accessible in recent years as it had been. It's amazing how much indoor plumbing is taken advantage of, he thought as he chugged another refill of the Styrofoam cup. He then resumed his spot at the desk in his rigid chair, allowing Neveah to plop back down on the comfy, boss=man's chair. (Like a boss!)

Bishop, however, did not resume sitting. He continued to stand for a moment. Then, he went for the door. He looked to Roland before departing, and saw his confusion marked by a single raised eyebrow. "I'm going to check something out I found on my sweep, I'll be back in a little while. There's not need to worry about me. I'm not leaving you guys or doing anything stupid." With that, and a smile, the marine Staff Sargent was gone. A brief, awkward silence followed.

"Well, I guess he'll BRB," Roland said with a smirk. It was nice to not have to worry for a change. They were secure in the make-shift fortress. It was nice to have Bishop be able to leave and not be left alone, wondering if he'd truly be coming right. It was nice to be able to not be alone, period, when Bishop went to check something out like this. Looking to Neveah when he thought this, he realized that he hadn't been alone with a woman in so very long. And it felt even longer, in this lonely, savage world they now lived in. "It's so nice to have different company for a change." He grinned, hoping the humor would be appreciated. "Well, I guess I'll get back to scanning the airwaves again. You can roll your self over here and join me if you wish." Roland then turned back to the desk with the mutilated Macintosh and started going through the channels again, listening and repeating his message, though updated after recent events.

"This is Roland Svensson. If there is anyone out there, please respond. I am with two others: one Marine Staff Sargent Bishop and a Miss Neveah Hawthorn. We are locked down in a warehouse and have some food and plenty of shelter. I repeat, anyone hearing this, please respond. You're not alone." Things continued like this, with the occasional conversation between the two up in the foreman's loft.

As bishop wandered into the place he was interested in, he began checking all the corners after turning on the light. I love generators, he thought as the room lit up. The locker room was empty, and so were the showers. Of course, he already suspected this, but Bishop had become fairly paranoid like anyone else who was still alive. However, he'd left his gun behind, to Roland's obvious surprise. Anyway, he got right to it. He let one of the shower heads run as he stripped. It was getting nice and warm as he tested it with a hand. OH how many things we all used to take for granted... He stepped into flowing torrent of hot water. He had missed this so much. He even found some shower gel and shampoo in the locker room and was able to scrub away the unholy amount of sweat and grime he'd accumulated over the great span of time since things went to hell.

Later, he strolled in in just his boxer shorts. and a white towel around his neck. He was confronted with bewilderment. "What," he asked, struggling to stifle a grin. "I found a locker room with showers, so I went to clean up. I'm only dressed like this because my fatigues are drying. I hand-washed them." Roland shook his head slowly with a smirk as he returned to his scans.

"I think I'll let the lady go first,"Roland said plainly. He then turned to Neveah with a gentle smile. "No, really. Go for it. Daylights fading so I'll bet anyone out and about is settling in now. I'll probably have better luck the later it gets. After I finish this run through and another full one, I'll take one myself. That gives you plenty of time to take one, and allow the hot water to recover."

"How do you know there is hot water," Bishop asked.

"How could I miss it, with your steamy bod waltzing in," Roland said, grinning, as he turned to face his friend.

"That's gay, dude," Bishop instantly shot back in a plain tone. Roland cracked up for a moment.

"You know what I meant, you bastard," Roland replied, still smirking as he returned to work. Bishop began maintenance on their weapons. He did this a lot. Whenever there was down time. Roland supposed it was to help with sanity. Gave him something routine to do. However, it was also very useful for their survival. Not once had they been forced to result to improvise due to malfunctioning firearms. This was one of the many things Roland was grateful to Bishop for. He was a reliable man, and he could make this trait rub off on his equipment.

Mephisto
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby CherrySwirl on Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:02 pm

Nikko grimaced at the bullet hole sitting in the control panel. He ran his fingers through his dark locks trying to figure out how to begin to even repair it. Then he felt something sticky touch his scalp, remembered there was blood on his fingers from carrying out the dead security guard and quickly removed them from his head. After being taken prisoner by the security guards, he wanted to make sure that there weren't anymore predators lurking in the shadows of the mall and the quickest way to do that would be to get all the monitors up and running. He gazed into the dark hole which lit up ever time a tiny sparkle jumped to life. he could see where the wired were torn apart. He squatted down and noticed a wide rectangular door etched into it. It was screwed closed.

"Hey, Any of you have a screw driver?" he asked turning to Alex and Daniel. They stared back at him. "I'll take that as a no." He fell back onto his butt and sighed. "Can one of you find me one, thanks." he stood back up and gazed at the bullet hole. He searched the surveillance room for a tool box or something and only came up with a tough half eaten donut and some candy wrappers. He walked out of the surveillance room and out into the mall in hopes he;d come across a tool store or something.

CherrySwirl
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TheRavenandThePawn on Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:25 am

Skulls’ watched as the car drove past before continuing onwards. Every step brought him closer to something… and away from nothing… their was only the ground before him… what lay behind him now was nothing but soiled earth… he continued forward until he eventually came in sight of a mall. He took several minutes to think of what to do next before he walked towards it machete raised for the monsters that came to greet him for but a moment before falling into a bloody pile. “Sad… how unsporting… mindless beasts for mindless pleasure.” He came to a side door finding it locked he produced his own… key. He leveled his hand cannon at an angel with the lock before firing and blowing the deadbolt’s front shell off before kicking the door in with the splintering of the door jam. He stepped in closing the door before tipping over a heavy set industrial shelving unit to and jamming it at angle to prevent it from being simple pushed inwards it would jam on the corner that an opening door would make with the wall.

He walked through the mall to the food court so he could decide to take what was easy and quick to make before deciding to enjoy a meal from a pizza joint. Followed the tips that were on the wall after defrosting premade dough from the day they were last open. He covered it in what was listed for a large supreme pizza from their frozen stock before warming up the ovens and sent them through. “Now to sit back and relax… says in the manual twenty minutes in the oven should do.”

TheRavenandThePawn
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zombicide93 on Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:37 am

Alex and Daniel followed Niko out of the security room and down the hall. Alex caught up to Niko and handed him the keys he had gotten off of the dead security guard outside.
"This key ring has an assload of keys on it, one of them should be a master key for the shops, maybe we can find a hardware store and get the gear we need to fix that monitor", Alex said.
"Good idea", Niko replied as he went through the keys on the ring. "While we're at it, we could look for a gun store or a sports store and get some weapons and ammo".
"Sounds like a plan". Alex said "Once we get the security monitors working again, we can check the mall for anymore stim-heads or survivors, and I think I saw a CB radio on a desk near holding cell. I say when we get back, you work on the monitors and I'll start scanning the radio, see if I can pick up anything".
Niko nodded at Alex as they set off in search of the nearest hardware store.

Zombicide93
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby CherrySwirl on Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:31 pm

Niko and Alex were back in the surveillance room with Daniel about an hour and a half later. Alex scanning the CB radio channels and Niko wrist deep in all kinds of multi-colored wires and cords. He'd already dug the bullet out of the system and was now working to reconnect the wires that were connected to thousands of camera's scattered throughout the wall.

"Hey, hand me those pliers over there." Niko asked Danny who'd located a tool box and tasers from apparently a staff locker room. He'd also loaded up on shit load of deer hunting rifles and camp gear from another store that apparently sold hunting and camp gear. At Tower City mall back in Cleveland you'd only find clothes, electronic stores, a theatre, food court and some 'corner stores', but never a deer hunting store. Water Tower mall had that and more. Maybe after they cleared the place they could hook a projector up and watch cliche movie while sitting back, munching on nachos. The cheese has probably gone bad by now though.

Niko rubbed his head across his sleeve to wipe the sweat from his brow. His fingers trembled slightly at he twisted a couple of wires together and then carefully placed a strip of black electrical tape around them. He did something similar back in high school when a rat chewed through the stereo cords that were under the stage moments before the play was supposed to begin. His stage manager instructed him on what to do because she didn't want to get down on her knees. She knew Niko had a bad habit of wandering eyes. She couldn't blame him for it though.

He removed his hands from inside the panel and stood up, knees aching as they stretched they gone numb from being in the same position for so long. He swallowed hard staring at the switch that would, hopefully turn the monitor on. "Come on, baby. Work for daddy." he whispered flipping the switch.

Nothing happened.

"SON OF A BITCH!!" he screamed kicking the thing. The monitors lit up, coming back to life.
Last edited by CherrySwirl on Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

CherrySwirl
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zombicide93 on Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:23 am

Alex began scanning channels on the CB radio next to the security monitors. He heard Niko mutter something as he finished tinkering with the security monitors, then Alex jumped when suddenly Niko screamed. [/b] "SON OF A BITCH!!" , and kicked the monitor, which flared to life. Alex laughed and went back to concentrating on the radio.

About ten minutes later, Alex caught a garbled message, and began messing with the antenna, until finally it came through clear.

This is Roland Svensson. If there is anyone out there, please respond. I am with two others: one Marine Staff Sargent Bishop and a Miss Neveah Hawthorn. We are locked down in a warehouse and have some food and plenty of shelter. I repeat, anyone hearing this, please respond. You're not alone."[b]
Alex grabbed the mic and hit the responder switch on the base of it.
"This is Alex Hamer, I have two others with me named Niko and Daniel, we're in the security room in the Water Tower mall. It's Stim-head free, and we have the master key set to every store and door. Plenty of food, clothes and medicine to go around, over."

Zombicide93
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mephisto on Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:15 am

Roland paused as he had been after each time sending out the message. He had his hand on the dial, just about to turn it as he'd grown accustomed to. He'd fallen into a methodical rhythm. He felt like a machine. When he heard the voice he stayed his hand and froze up all together. He sat there, his gaze intensely staring at the radio. After a moment, her turned his head and looked to meet Neveah who had a similar expression. He then turned to Bishop behind him. The marine had ceased his routine cleaning, and was looking over with an expressionless face at Roland.

"Could be a trap," Bishop said calmly before returning to cleaning. Roland returned to look at the radio.

"You could be right," he replied with false normalcy. He was totally stoked that he'd actually found more people. "But there is only one way to find out."

"You copy, Roland? Over. *static*" Roland squeezed the almost dropped the transmitter in his hand as he fumbled to squeeze it.

"Yes, sorry. How about we head over tomorrow? Bishop and I are severely drained. How about tomorrow afternoon? We can contact you before we head out, so you know about when to expect us." Roland released the receiver, but after a moment added an "over."

Mephisto
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby CherrySwirl on Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:35 am

By the time Niko heard the incoming message muffled by static come through the CB radio, he was hanging over Alex's shoulder.

"Yeah, that's perfect!" Niko blurted, without thinking. Alex stared at him with a raised eyebrow. Niko looked away shrugging his shoulders. He was excited that they'd made contact, but he decided that he'd let Alex handle the talking part. He was interested in knowing what type of people were on the other end of that radio. "A marine and a girl," Niko thought to himself. Suddenly his body shuddered at a euphoric thought that made his nether regions tingle. He just remembered that he was still a virgin. Maybe he'd get a chance to change that before he died. He pushed the thoughts away deciding to return his attention back to the monitors. Some screens came in clear while others were fuzzy, but still somewhat visible. They all were working. Niko felt a rush of pride and accomplishment.

"This is a big mistake." Daniel said leaning against the doorway of the surveillance room, seemingly to no one specific.

"What is?" Niko asked.

"Joining up with them." he said matter-a-factly. When Niko's eyes didn't leave him, Daniel stared back, locking his eyes with Niko's to make sure that the seemingly naive teenager understood every word he was about to say. "People are different now. You experienced it yourself a few hours ago. I've been experiencing it ever since this shit started. To trust strangers is a mistake."

"You trust us." Niko responded.

"No, I don't. You'd be smart to think the same way."

CherrySwirl
Member for 13 years

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!