Gates of Requiem: The Board Game

Topic Tags:

Drawing, painting, playing, and writing! All your creative instincts can be satiated here - feedback, commissions, contests, and even requests!

Moderators: Scholars, Designers

Gates of Requiem: The Board Game

Postby Entity of Sin on Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:05 pm

Website Link
Gates of Requiem

In the beginning. . .
Gates of Requiem is a tabletop fantasy roleplaying game meant to have free flowing combat, easy to understand and functional game mechanics, a wide range of character class specific abilities, and detailed world building materials to construct the perfect fantasy world from the ground up and how to run, manage, and maintain the game, your players, and how to adapt to situations either created by the players or by something in the game that wasn't foreseen.

I have currently put almost two years of work into this project and am finding myself more and more at odds with the demand this game requires of my time. So I thought that it would reflect well of myself to propose the idea to Roleplay Gateway the opportunity to influence the development of this game on either a small or large scale. Credit will be awarded to those that distinguish themselves from others but I'm no where capable of providing material or monetary valued goods at this point but that might change at a later day while this game is still in development.

The challenges I've been faced with while working on Gates of Requiem is how difficult it is to have my character classes distinguish themselves from one another and from similar classes in other board/video games. The purpose of my classes are to make them as unique and refreshing to a player as possible who is playing as a Fighter or Mage with it having huge differences than another game's Fighter or Mage class.

I do plan on having additional classes introduced at some point but for now I'm just working out the classes. I have provided a link in this post to the mock-up site that provides all the necessary information regarding a person's character, except for items.

Want to help?
If you're interested in helping, that's great. There are a few things that I must first say though. Having a passion for gaming is a huge. I don't really want to see a bunch of posts from people that just causally play games or from people that hardly/never play games. Gaming, to me, is defined by someone who plays card, board, or video games. Roleplaying on this site doesn't fall under that definition of mine, sorry.

There isn't one specific thing I can say that needs more help than something else. I've been working a lot on the Monk, Witch Doctor, Barbarian, and Shaman classes. I really would like to get them hammered out and move onto other classes.

Want to make Gates of Requiem art?
This is something I'm a little hesitant to ask for from others when I can't actually afford to pay money for the work. As a graphic artist myself, I don't believe someone's hard work should go unpaid, however, I can't afford to spend money on artwork that I'll probably replace with my own at a later date. Creating concept art for me to look at for free is cool though. So if making concept art that I won't use as the final piece for something is what interests some of you then go ahead. It's good practice after all. You'll get credit for it of course, I just can't afford to pay for this kind of stuff. @_@

FYI to everyone that's interested in helping...
When I have the resources to, I will be producing official Gates of Requiem mouse pads. Now these mouse pads aren't going to be your typical mouse pad size. They will be 24" by 14" and probably something around 1/16" thick (I plan on making thicker ones as the final product). I really want to be able to make these and provide the first few prototypes to people to have as thanks for all their hard work in helping me develop the game for free. But if I can give a little back to those that do help, it will be with stuff like this and it will only be for those that stick it out for the long haul. Game design isn't easy nor is it a fast process.

Also, due to Roleplay Gateway having a time restriction on how much time you have to edit a post, all major updates will probably be put up on the website and I'll make a post in the thread with a direct link to it on the website. That way you don't have to go digging through the site just to find what I changed or am looking at changing.

Discussion and questions. . .
When discussing stuff about my game, please keep it constructive and mature. If you have a question about something regarding only the material I've placed on the mock-up site, then by all means, ask in this thread. Right now I want to keep all discussion and questions specifically centered around the game's classes, character development, and any and all game mechanics regarding the information I have placed on the site. I do know that it's a lot of information but if I have missed something, I'll probably put it on the site and let everyone know.
Entity of Sin
Member for 4 years

Re: Gates of Requiem: The Board Game

Postby Entity of Sin on Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:24 pm

I'm surprised no one has even asked any questions about the game. Seems like it's too overwhelming of a task to help with. I totally understand that. I wouldn't be asking for help if I didn't want to speed things along so I can get on with alpha testing the game to develop new mechanics, revise existing ones, and rebalance everything.
Entity of Sin
Member for 4 years

Postby Entity of Sin on Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:02 am

If anyone has actually been looking at this, just giving an update of what I've been working on if you haven't read announcements on the site (which I'm not trying to directly advertise anyways since it isn't a community site of any kind).

Right now I'm focusing on rebuilding the Mage class to incorporate the new talent system I plan on implementing. I've got a few basic ideas as to what I plan on doing but the main challenge I'm facing is the fact I didn't make enough spells the Mage learns outside of the talent trees to really make it easy for me. I don't want to just copy ideas from other games for the talent trees, but they do give a decent idea as to where to start and then adjust accordingly to make them more unique. Though why try to fix an idea that isn't broken? I just need more Mage abilities (around 25-30 should work) and I'll be able to make all the talents fairly quickly.

Still looking for help, feedback, etc. with the game. It's a huge task to undertake on my own and I'm serious about giving a little back to those that do seriously devote some time towards helping me.
Entity of Sin
Member for 4 years

Postby Entity of Sin on Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:56 pm

Just so all of you guys know that have been looking at this thread I'm making this announcement now.

I'm officially looking for character class and race designers for this game project. Once all the classes and races are completed I'll be able to bring in more additional information, such as items, to get those looked at. Looking forward to seeing any amount of help I do get from this. It's a chance to actually be a part of creating something that has potential of being popular. I placed an announcement on the website. Refer to the opening post for that website link.
Entity of Sin
Member for 4 years

Postby Bleakwise on Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:22 am

I checked over your website, and I can't help but feel a little overwhelmed. This tabletop game is essentially World of Warcraft converted into a tabletop role-playing experience. As much as I like that idea, I can't help but feel that it's a little too complicated even by tabletop standards. I'd be more than willing to help out where I can though if you're interested. I'm interested in game design and create home-brewed card and board games, and rules for tabletop games fairly often. If you're interested at all let me know what I can do.
A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords at dawn.
Bleakwise
Member for 3 years

Postby Entity of Sin on Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:26 pm

There already is a WoWarcraft board game. So this clearly isn't anything like it. It might look like it, however, this game will ultimately be more like D&D than Warcraft. I will admit that my game is heavily influenced by both D&D and WoWarcraft.

You're welcome to take a crack at making the Barbarian class. Think of how viking warriors fight and you should be pretty close to how that class is suppose to feel like when playing. I'm pretty busy for the most part cause of my job. I'm lucky that I got today off. I do plan on renaming some of the classes to stuff that better suits the classes, such as Paladin to Templar and Fighter to Knight, this way it looks more unique and no such a cookie cutter from D&D and WoWarcraft.

If you want to talk more about this, you can contact me on YIM. My YIM name is under my profile.
Entity of Sin
Member for 4 years

Postby Entity of Sin on Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:25 pm

Changing the paladin class into something else. The new class will basically be the same thing, just a different name and will probably be easier to manage than what I currently have implemented. It will be called a templar at this point. Going to make it more of a tank and damage dealer than what it is right now. Need more tanks in the game.

@Bleakwise, are you working on the Barbarian class? It's been a number of days since you've posted and I was wondering if you're still working on stuff or not. Just trying to keep tabs on everything.
Entity of Sin
Member for 4 years

Postby Bleakwise on Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:24 am

I'm actually spending some time becoming a little more familiar with all of the stats, and information that is on the website. There's quite a bit to take in. Once I look through everything and get a feel for the kind of balance you're looking for I'll begin work on the Barbarian class. I've been coming up with some rough draft type stuff. Skills, and taking a look at a few things that might become unbalanced later on in the game. I'll get that info back to you. :)
Bleakwise
Member for 3 years

Postby Entity of Sin on Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:17 pm

Well if you have a question about something, then ask. I'll try to answer all your questions the best I can.

Also, for damaging attacks with the Barbarian, I do want you to consider that each point into Constitution gives a character 10 HP (regardless of class). I plan on implementing this change across all classes in terms of Constitution to HP ratio.

Just focus on the Barbarian abilities. I understand there is a lot of information but that's why this thread is there: for you to ask them.

Right now I'm redesigning the paladin class into the templar. It should prove to be a much more fitting change for how I want the class to play out as.
Entity of Sin
Member for 4 years

Postby Entity of Sin on Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:46 pm

Bleak, any progress?

I've been revamping other classes.. such as taking the Paladin class and transforming it into a Templar. Something more bulky and tankish but can still deal damage. I understand a lot of the information is very outdated still, but if you can still manage to make stuff for the Barbarian based on that information then it makes it easier to modify and work in as stuff gets more finalized.
Entity of Sin
Member for 4 years

Post a reply

RolePlayGateway is a site built by a couple roleplayers who wanted to give a little something back to the roleplay community. The site has no intention of earning any profit, and is paid for out of their own pockets.

If you appreciate what they do, feel free to donate your spare change to help feed them on the weekends. After selecting the amount you want to donate from the menu, you can continue by clicking on PayPal logo.