Forum rules
This forum is for OOC discussion about existing roleplays.

Please post all "Players Wanted" threads in the Roleplayers Wanted forum!

Long Live The King OOC

Topic Tags:

Forum for completely Out of Character (OOC) discussion, based around whatever is happening In Character (IC). Discuss plans, storylines, and events; Recruit for your roleplaying game, or find a GM for your playergroup.

Long Live The King OOC

Postby Irish Wolf on Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:44 pm

The lands of Numinor, a once peaceful kingdom of happy peasants and noble lords has been ravaged by decades of war. Twenty-three years ago, Konungr Agnarr, the bloody, lord of the north, brought his loyal Jarls down on the warpath, burning villages and laying waste to the countryside. Raiders poured over the borders, attacking merchants, the commoners fleeing south and hovels too small to be of notice to the great northern king. They came like nightmares, unstoppable and deadly.

King Gregor, of Numinor, was only in his second year of his rein when the attacks came but had the fiery heart of the warrior-kings of old. He raised an army from his own vassals and set out to match Konungr Agnarr in field. The battle was unlike any seen before. The blood flowed like water over a waterfall and filled the depression of the dell, where the army’s clashed, until the warriors were forced to wade in thigh high pond to cross blades.

However, the loss of life brought no victory for either side. Konungr Agnarr escaped with his life, as did King Gregor (although crippled) and most of their high-ranking nobles. It was the common soldiers who suffered, to be truthful. With both armies depleted, the war went cold for five years or so, as the manpower of both nations was restored. The need for warriors was so great, that noble ladies began to lead household troops into battle for the king and women would be granted knighthood. From there, the war has continued on, nearly constant raids across the border by both nations, Feudal lords clashed, leading small armies.

In one such pitched battle, the King’s young son was struck down, leaving the kingdom without an heir and joining his mother in the afterlife. Like every king of the royal line, going back over ten generations, Gregor was cursed to have but one child with each wife and his morning period was not yet over for the deceased Queen Cecilia. Without a new bride, there would be no new heir for some time.

The war has come full circle now, as Konungr Agnarr as raised his mighty host once again. Down from the north comes a dragon of seasoned if young warriors, armed to the teeth and calling for blood. From his throne in the Numinor capital of Hrothsgard, the one legged King Gregor sent Duke Roger of Strompeak, in his place as Marshal of the army, to repulse the threat. As fate would have it, the two armies would meet each other at Blood Dell, where they had all those years ago.

However, behind the Numinoriarns, a messenger rides, baring ill news indeed. The King is dead.

Alright folks, Irish Wolf here and I’ve been cookin this up for a few days now. The Role Play will kick off with a pitched battle between the Numinorians, who are of a culture much like the Normans when they conquered England and the Men of the North, who are cultured like the Nose. The best armor of the day is a hauberk, a long chain-mail tunic that reached down to the knees and covered the arms to the elbows. Slits were cut in the front and back to facilitate riding on a horse. In some cases, the hauberk may have included a mail hood (called a coif). On top of this, every knight or Jarl would have a conical helmet that covered the top of the head. Most were also equipped with a nose-guard or a bronze face piece. There is no such thing as plate armor at this point in time.

From there, we will be going about the political (and often physical) process of choosing a new king.

Oh I wanted to do a little bit about the nobility right now. I will list various ranks of nobles, from least to greatest.

Aristocratic
Knight
Baronet
Noble
Baron
Viscount
Count or Earl
Marquess
Duke
Royal
Prince
King

Rules
1.No ninjas. NONE. Don't bother explaining your martial arts skills to me, or how they fit into the story, or how it will enhance the story or whatever. The answer is a simple, clean cut NO. This is a knight game, so you will either be playing a knight or a soldier of some sort. No ninjas.
2.Obey the basic rules of RPing. No Godmodding (controlling another player's character without permission from them), respect your fellow players, have fun and whatnot.
3.You MUST read the posts before yours. Don't skim or you could miss something important.
4. This is a pet peeve of mine, if you put Long Sword or Broad Sword, I will ask you what you mean. A Long Sword is a two handed weapon who's name is mistakenly used to describe the Arming/Knightly Sword. A Broad Sword is a Basket-hilted sword (not time period) but is also mistakenly used to name an Arming/Knightly Sword or Dao.
5.Request permission to join either by PMing me or by posting here, in the OOC thread. Don't do it on the IC thread.
6.Absolutely no OOC in the IC thread. If you slip up, you will be requested to alter your post. Slip up a lot, and I might begin to think that you just didn't read the rules. So you'll probably be kicked
7.If you go 7 days without posting (without first giving a reasonable excuse, such as vacation, super busy schedule at school, death), you will be kicked from the game.
8.Keep a reasonable amount of realism in your posts. There is a fantasy element here, but it still takes place in a time period near the 1000s. So no time traveling machine gun wielding Amazons running around in bikinis and whatnot.
9.Don't try to force the plot forward. What makes a game work well is if we all work together to push forward the storyline...but don't go from sitting in a tavern to you being brutalized by an Australian king's pet naga that has decided to sweep you away to be his bride. Or anything odd like that.

Character Profiles

Name:

Appearance:

Weapon(s):

Bio:

Mine

Name: Crispian the Third

Appearance: a solid man, of lean muscled gained from training for war nearly every year of life. He stands near six feet tall with neatly trimmed black hair on the back and sides of his head. The crown of his skull is covered with angry red burn scars, with a few patches of long hair daring to creep towards the back. Steely gray eyes glint around a thin roman nose, with a heavy jaw. He dresses in white braies, black chauses, black leather ankle boots and blue linen shirt. When going into battle he covers his clothing with a mail hauberk, conical helmet with nasal bar and a dark blue sleeveless surcoat with a red, rearing horse on his chest. That design also is painted on his kit shield.

Weapon(s): arming sword, lance, dagger

Bio: When Crispian was a boy of five, his father (Crispian the Younger) rode off with the great army of King Gregor and was slain charging the shield wall of Konungr Agnarr's Housecarls. When the news reached the family castle in the duchy of Essyer, both his grandfather and mother were decimated. Duchess Keara was left to rule, as Crispian the Elder slipped between ill heath and bouts of depression or madness. She hired riding teachers and sword masters to teach her young son in the ways of war and spent the nights whispering pledges of revenge for him to repeat.

When he reached the age of sixteen, Crispain took a contingent of his grandfather troops north to help raid the holdings of Konungr Agnarr, though Essyer was far from the northern boarder. Things went smoothly when they reached an unplundered village. The local peasants scattered and fled, with no help racing from the nearby fortifications of the their Jarl. As his men split up to clean out any valuables they could find, the young duke-to-be rode alone through a series of barns.

As he passed one of them, a farmer popped out of nowhere and smashed him in the chest with a rake. The blow knocked him back but not off the house and sent his helm flying. A second farmer clubbed him over the head with a torch, setting his hair on fire. The only reason Crispain survived was the arrival of a trio of his archers, who shot both farmers and smothered the flames. They were too late to prevent the permanent loss of his hair or the scarring however.

For the next eleven years, he has waited for the call to battle to sound and raiding deeper and deeper into enemy territory.
Its easy to be brave behind a castle wall
Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion
A king's son is no nobler then the food he eats
Irish Wolf
Contributor
Member for 6 years

Re: Long Live The King OOC

Postby Drako11 on Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:52 pm

Dammit Irish!!! I just joined another RP and you go and start this......grrrrrrr.....huhhh well I know I won't be able to resist so ya I'm gonna have to join. -_- Hopefully it doesn't die like "Founding a New Frontier" I really liked that one. Anywho I'll put up a character bio tomorrow! CHEERIO!

P.S. I love how every RP you, Jade, or Skall starts now has the NO NINJAS rule ahhh good memories. XD
Image Image Image Image
Drako11
Member for 7 years

Postby Iceheart on Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:35 am

Name: Silas of Armenor; Silas the White; Silas Silver

Appearance: Silas stands tall at six-foot-two, and is long-limbed and graceful. He is good-looking, though not exceptionally so, with a long, thin nose and high cheek bones, sandy hair and fair skin. He wears a white, unadorned surcoat over a white mail hauberk, white chausses, and thigh-high brown riding boots.

Weapon(s): A fine arming sword, bearded axe, lance.

Bio: Born into minor aristocracy in the north, Silas was afforded a good military education as a youth, which was necessary to live in the war-torn north. His family owned enough lands to support themselves, but they were not profitable lands and the family was far from wealthy, and never sought to become so. They saw themselves as marchwardens, defenders of the realm, and pure warriors, without the pretentions of some of the southern knights. His father was slain by the northmen when he was nine years old; when he was thirteen, he began leading raids across the border. He soon developed a reputation for dash and daring, as well as pragmatism; he has never been afraid to burn villages or slaughter prisoners if the situation warrants it. Eighteen years of such war, along with skillful investment decisions, has seen his lands double in the north, and he also owns considerable lands in the south. Fifty knights will ride under his banner, should he call them. More than anything, he hopes for a title; knight is simply not enough any more.
Iceheart
Member for 6 years

Postby Saint Michel on Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:45 am

Name: Anton Placev

Appearance: A fit and handsome man of early middle years, Placev keeps his graying brown hair cropped close to his scalp. His features are strong and angular, and his brown eyes are framed by a nose and brows battered by years of combat. A natural when on horseback and when in combat, Placev nonetheless suffers from a great deal of pain due to arthritis brought on by long years in the saddle. Normally he can be found in tailor-fitted doublet and hose, while when dressed for war he wears expensively made and well-polished mail, helmet, and a white surcoat with the single red heart of Candive emblazoned upon it.

Weapon(s): a lance, as well as an arming sword and dagger.

Bio: Born in Lionsbridge in County Candive, Anton had not yet reached his seniority when his father and elder brother rode off to serve the king at Blood Dell and never returned. Suddenly lord of all Candive, the young count was schooled in the arts of war and statecraft, and was found to excel in both. Anton quickly became known as both a master tactician and a devoted student of grand strategy, and rose to prominence as one of the kingdom's most aggressive and successful commanders.

However, the victories on the battlefield rarely brought acclaim or reward to Anton Placev. His battlefield successes created envy and suspicion among certain members within the royal court, and his cocky attitude and bullheadedness won him few friends and many enemies. By middle age Anton has become an angry and embittered man who nows suffers in silence the final indignity of being commanded to march to war under his long-time rival Roger, Duke of Strompeak. Even in the event of victory Anton expects to receive little share of the glory or plunder of the campaign. The agents of Konungr Agnarr, however, have offered him much...
Her fingertips, outstretched, sketched a farewell,
Her eyes, downcast, asked when I would return.
And I replied, "What traveler went forth
Who knew the fate God had in store for him?"

-Unattributed, quoted in al-Abshihi (d. 1446), Al-mustatraf
Saint Michel
Member for 6 years

Postby Cloud_Homewood on Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:00 am

i have one question. the char i want to play this is a Theif, i ask if this class would be alright to play. i was thinking to have be a mercenary for the Numinoriarn army, would this be okay?
The perfect world is one where there is no one to wage war or to commit sin,and is ruled by no one, for it is human nature to wage war for power, to commit sin for pleasure, to rule for control
Guardian Angel(IC no RPers needed)Read and Rate!!!!!!!!
Cloud_Homewood
Member for 5 years

Postby Underworlder666 on Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:19 am

This seems pretty interesting :) Though I'd like to know more of the lands layout and the names of places, but its fine either way. I just like to know all I can about a story before I do something stupid... haha.

I hope this bio is alright.

Name: Laise Craig of Durenham (pronounced LASH-uh)

Appearance: Laise stands about 5’7” and has a lean body, shaped after countless training sessions and battles on the field. His skin is dark tan, as he stands out like a sore thumb with medium length matted red hair and green-blue eyes.

When he is not prepped for battle he is often seen in a velvety red tunic and black slacks, at his waist he wears a black belt with a silver buckle. He also wears thin black gloves, which he customized by cutting the fingers off for his index and middle finger to be bare, and short black leather boots.

During battle he wears a black tunic with a hauberk and a dark red surcoat, his same black belt ties it fast to him. Most times he disregards his helmet, unless close combat, and wears a brown leathered beret. He wears chausses under his and braise along with his black leather boots.

Weapon(s): English Longbow; dual daggers; is moderate with a lance

Bio: Since his time as a toddler all he has known was that the battlefield was life, and in life he shall find death, and in death he shall fine the greatest honor of serving his lord.

His family was a wealthy family that supports Numinor. It has been, since the start of the family, to enlist in the army and serve their time. Laise was trained well by many of tutors and war-hardened veterans to become the best that he could for his family.

When he turned sixteen he enlisted as but a page, fixated on the thought that he must work for his rank. Eight years later he has attained the rank of knight and is well respected by most of his peers for his incredible talent for archery.

His family, as well as others, always thought he was destined for great things.

He has a light Scottish accent~
Last edited by Underworlder666 on Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Join in the Daeva Rune Chronicles
Underworlder666
Member for 6 years

Postby daughterofdon on Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:38 pm

Name: Magenhyld

Appearance: She has dark-brown hair, thick and just long enough to be plaited. A fringe of straight, thick bangs reaches the middle of her forehead. Her skin, once fair, has been weathered with age and stress, heavily freckled. Two deep creases are found at the sides of her full lips.

She is unusually tall for a woman, a few inches short of six feet. In battle, she dresses very much like a man: chausses, hauberk with a coif and an extra mantle of mail. She wears a surcoat of purpure (purple) and argent (silver). Her blazon is a silver owl, in its dexter claw holding a spear.

Weapon(s): Arming sword (named Hermengart), dagger

Bio: Born the daughter of a viscount, Magenhyld was coming of age when Numinor’s peacefulness was challenged by the Jarls. She had an uncle who was an illustrious knight, and he saw that the young noble lady looked pining upon the sword and saddle. He had the foresight to start teaching her to ride and wield weapons. The baron wouldn’t have it, though, and married Magenhyld off once she turned thirteen.

Magen was married to the Count of Avenable. She bore him two sons while she was still in her teens. As they grew up, she took an active part in their training as knights (and learned herself). When her sons were squires, and she a woman in her twenties, Magen first had the opportunity to serve in war, when the county was under attack and her husband was ill.

The illness became chronic, and the Count depended more and more on his capable wife to lead the men in war and manage the county, along with still raising their sons and doing domestic duties. To handle all of these responsibilities, Magen has long depended on her most loyal of knights and servants.

Now a widow, after the Count passed a couple years back, Magenhyld has her two grown sons accompany her in battle, Blaive and Galeran. She has not yet been knighted, but it is more her ambition for her sons to have that honor.
daughterofdon
Member for 6 years

Postby Irish Wolf on Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:21 pm

Iceheart, Saint Michel and daughterofdon, all accepted.

Cloud_Homewood, I would accept a mercenary but not a thief.

Underworlder666, Numinor is roughly shaped and sized like France. As for places, I have left them open for creativity. Now about your character, Laise Craig of Durenham looks good save for your weapons. A halberd is little out of time period, about five hundred years. The Normans used very lightweight spears, even their cavalry lances could be used as a throwing weapon. The brishing hooks (I had a time finding out what those were), to used the proper medieval terms, belong in the hands of those filthy peasant dogs. No one really knows what they used for bows, so I won't nitpick that.
Irish Wolf
Contributor
Member for 6 years

Postby Cloud_Homewood on Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:08 pm

Name:Allianna Homewood

Rank: Mercenary, and Genaral of the mercenary divison for the Numinoriarn army

Appearance: She isnt a very tall women, she is just shy of 5 feet. She has long crimson-red hair, which she usally wears in a ponytail. Though she looks frail, she can hold her own in a fight. She has emerald green eyes. Though she is in the Numinoriarn army, she does not like to wear the heavy armour. On the battlefeild she wears Leather tunic, leather legging, leather gloves, and leather boots. She likes this better for it gives her more munuverbility. When she is in town she just a tunic and troushers. Sometimes she will wear a dress.

Weapon(s):she carrires two 3 feet long arming swords.

Bio: She was raised as a farmer. Her parents owned a farm on the ourskirts of Numinor. They lived happy lives, even though never had everything, just wnat they needed. It was when she was 17 that the war took her parents. It was at this time that she even thought about joining. When she went to the captiol to join, they told her she would have to be a squire first, but she wanted to be on the front lines. She left detrime to join, one way or another. It was at this time she picked out her two short arming sword. She found a teacher, and she learned the art of dual weilding. She went back 4 years later. They told her the same thing they did 4 years back. She then decided to become a Mercenary.

During those four years of trainging, she travled to Northmen. There she had led a small attack on the castle. their goal was to kill as many soldiers of Jarl they could. In the end, only few of her group remained to escape. Though during the fighting, she had managed to kill a few of the top commanders of the Northmen army. It wasnt soon after that, the Numinor was rebuilding their army, and they were hiring mercenaries. They had caught wind of what she had done, thus making her the General of the mercenary division.
Last edited by Cloud_Homewood on Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Cloud_Homewood
Member for 5 years

Postby Irish Wolf on Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:56 pm

Mercenary General, at age 22? Could you explain in more detail just how a young peasant girl became such a high ranking officer with just four years of training? And capitalize the beginnings of your sentences.

I need to nitpick profiles
Irish Wolf
Contributor
Member for 6 years

Postby Underworlder666 on Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:20 am

I kinda figured that might have had a problem, I'll change it. As for the halbred, I was sure they had something of the like back then. I did a bit of background searching. The age is about 13th-14th century, right?
Underworlder666
Member for 6 years

Postby Cloud_Homewood on Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:27 am

i have edited it.if it still does not make sense i will make a little bit older and fix the bio even more.
Cloud_Homewood
Member for 5 years

Postby Irish Wolf on Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:36 am

Like I said in the rules, this world is comparable to Earth around the year 1000, there Underworlder666.

Thats a better profile Cloud_Homewood, though Jarl is a title and not a place.
Irish Wolf
Contributor
Member for 6 years

Postby Cloud_Homewood on Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:52 am

im sorry then i read the first post wrong. what is the name of the kingdom that the Numinoriarns are fightning so i can put that instead if Jarl?
Cloud_Homewood
Member for 5 years

Postby Drako11 on Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:17 am

Murrr I'm not gonna be able to join as I thought I might Irish..... Life is just to hectic right now and I'm already in several RP's so I will have to catch the next RP you do! Good luck with this one!
Drako11
Member for 7 years

Postby Irish Wolf on Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:27 pm

Well thats a bummer Drako but I'll see you around.

As for the opposing kingdom, it really has no name to the Numinoriarns, other then Northland, where live the men of the north (or Northmen)

Edit: I should have the IC up bu tomorrow evening. Work has been draining of late.
Irish Wolf
Contributor
Member for 6 years

Postby daughterofdon on Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:11 am

Here's the IC thread, everybody:

long-live-the-king-t23970.html
daughterofdon
Member for 6 years

Postby Underworlder666 on Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:46 am

I'm sorry, posted on the wrong thread~
Underworlder666
Member for 6 years

Postby 7achary on Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:54 am

I am so sorry, I missed the OOC and I feel like an idiot for not putting it together in my head as i read everyone's post. Once again I apologize, I REALLY wanna do this. If you reject me I'll delete my post on the IC thread.

Name: Zachary of Milsteading

Appearance: A slim young man with pale blonde hair and a stylish goatee- he is exceptionally good looking, though a bit short. Always wears the most fashionable and expensive clothing, all in the family colors of teal and white. His banner is three white swans on a teal field. In battle he wears a hauberk under a teal surcoat bearing his banner. His helmet has three swans in flight etched into it and his sword has a swan on the pommel.

Weapon(s): He carries a slim broad sword (yes the one not in the time line with the basket hilt, if you'll ok, if not I'll go with arming sword.) and a dirk.

Bio: As a child and teenager Zachary was his father's mirror image, a respectful and devout boy who was charmingly shy. He gained his knighthood at the young age of 16 after a duel with a Baron over the honor of a Duke's daughter. Zachary's mother died shortly after he received his knighthood, while his father(Jacques) was on campaign. Zachary fell in with some of the socialites in his father's lands, and now... Zachary is the scoundrel of the Milsteading family. Using the family coffers as if they were his own, keeping around unsuitable acquaintances, a constant visitor to brothels in every major city, and, if rumors are to be believed, father to more than one other noble's heir. Zachary's father was the exact opposite of his son, a devout and loyal man who had fought for his king numerous times and always been there to provide his support. Where Zachary is charismatic and devious, his father was steely and honest. Zachary seemed fit to live a life of gambling and mischief until recently. His father has died of natural causes just as the king calls the Milsteading House to his banners. Other nobles look at Zachary with disdain, when he was a boy he showed much promise as a swordsman and a lord. Now he is looked at differently from all sides. Not many can best him in the political arena, but if one wanted to dispose of him they could easily do so on the battlefield as he is not the swordsman he once was. Zachary's one friend, Clifford, is son to a lord of a northern Barony that is always steeped in skirmishes with the Northmen.
7achary
Member for 6 years

Postby Irish Wolf on Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:51 am

Well it was a good IC post, even if it was with an unapproved character. With that said, Zachary of Milsteading is accepted to the game.
Irish Wolf
Contributor
Member for 6 years

Next

Post a reply

RolePlayGateway is a site built by a couple roleplayers who wanted to give a little something back to the roleplay community. The site has no intention of earning any profit, and is paid for out of their own pockets.

If you appreciate what they do, feel free to donate your spare change to help feed them on the weekends. After selecting the amount you want to donate from the menu, you can continue by clicking on PayPal logo.