Need a little photoshop help...

Topic Tags:

Drawing, painting, playing, and writing! All your creative instincts can be satiated here - feedback, commissions, contests, and even requests!

Moderators: Scholars, Designers

Need a little photoshop help...

Postby Entity of Sin on Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:13 pm

Alright, I've been trying to duplicate the appearance of this printed out map for a game (Baldur's Gate) and can't quiet get the paper background design that the Baldur's Gate city map was put on. It's very tattered up and worn in appearance, which exposes some parts of the wooden table underneath it.

I need some help in trying to make a really realistic looking paper background that's worn, tattered a little bit, etc. for the purposes of map making in photoshop.

So anyone that's knowledgeable in photoshop want to give me a hand at this? I'm trying to improve the quality of my map making techniques so I can make a few custom maps for people when I'm satisfied with the quality of the end result.
Entity of Sin
Member for 4 years

Re: Need a little photoshop help...

Postby Cer on Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:25 pm

I'm terrible at photoshop, personally, but I am able to create parchment paper (in real life). If that could help you, I wouldn't mind scanning them and forwarding them to you. If not, I can actually send instruction on how to make said paper. It really only takes a few hours and some coffee, construction/Bristol paper and salt. Otherwise, I'm afraid I'm out of luck on helping you. =) I hope you succeed with it, though, and if you find a way to with Photoshop, let me know! I'm still learning the ropes of mine, but I love old-style maps/backgrounds as well.

Good luck!
[Thank you, Master!]
I am to love, honour, cherish, obey
Until my death and beyond my decay.
Cer
Member for 4 years

Postby Entity of Sin on Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:08 pm

Scanned images don't help me at all when I'm going for a particular look for the final result. Without an actual visual example of what I'm trying to do, I don't think I'm going to get a lot of help. :/

Thanks for the reply. I guess I have to continue my research on this and then document it when I discover the techniques involved in photoshop.
Entity of Sin
Member for 4 years

Postby Cer on Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:56 pm

I will ask some of my friends as well who are skilled with photoshop. Hopefully, they can be of assistance to us both that way. If I am able to come across anything, you will be the first to know. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help thus far, though.
Cer
Member for 4 years

Postby MrMurdoch on Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:04 pm

Hey there, I'm no expert with Photoshop...but I'm good with GIMP. Could this be what you're looking for? If not, I'd say you should try downloading GIMP, which has a nifty little tutorial here for stuff like this. :) I used GIMP for my projects with something to this effect, and it actually turned out nicely... as seen here. :) Hope I managed to help a little. :) Just put wood on the background when you're done. ;)
MrMurdoch
Member for 4 years

Postby Entity of Sin on Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:28 am

I don't feel like learning a new piece of software. I rather use photoshop because that's what employers look for and that's what I'm trained in. I also spent good money on CS3, might as well figure out how to do the things I want to do in it.

I'll check that tutorial and see if I can figure out how to do that in photoshop. About to go to work right now.
Entity of Sin
Member for 4 years

Postby Kai on Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:41 pm

Hey Entity :) Here are a couple of tutorials that might be able to help you get the results that you are looking for:

http://www.alt-web-design.com/effects-t ... paper.html
http://www.lunacore.com/photoshop/tutorials/tut024.htm

The first one is rather simple but the second one goes much further in depth and has a much better result. You can always pick and pull whatever techniques you want from them to achieve the look that you are going for. Hope this helps!
Kai
Member for 6 years

Postby Entity of Sin on Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:10 pm

The first one looks good. For the second one, my Google Chrome is being stubborn and won't load the fifth page. I liked the material that I glanced at so far with it. I'm not sure if it's exactly what I'm looking for but I can always play around with everything and slap something together.

Thanks for the links Kai, I'll try implementing some of that information.
Entity of Sin
Member for 4 years

Postby Kai on Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:26 am

No problem. With things like these, you can pick and pull what techniques work best for you and then implement them in your own way to get the desired result that you're looking for. If you need any more help, just give a shout :)
Kai
Member for 6 years

Postby Entity of Sin on Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:41 am

I still haven't forgot all the links you guys gave me. I bookmarked them and everything. Due to an external hard drive crash and my new job, I still haven't even started using the resources given to me in the thread. Hopefully I'll get earlier hours at work or a better job with earlier hours. I miss having the time to work in photoshop and play my video games.

Hopefully I like the results of those tutorials linked to me. At first glance they seem to be what I was looking for.
Entity of Sin
Member for 4 years

Post a reply

RolePlayGateway is a site built by a couple roleplayers who wanted to give a little something back to the roleplay community. The site has no intention of earning any profit, and is paid for out of their own pockets.

If you appreciate what they do, feel free to donate your spare change to help feed them on the weekends. After selecting the amount you want to donate from the menu, you can continue by clicking on PayPal logo.