Forum rules
Please post all requests for assistance in the RolePlayAcademy! This forum is for discussion about designing RPGs in general, not for help with your single character, plot, or roleplay.

Real vs Animated Pics

Topic Tags:

A forum for discussions about the general design of RPG systems and techniques for building good roleplaying games.

Do you prefer to use Real or Animated pictures in roleplays?

Real
25%
Animated
46%
Don't have a preference
29%

Total votes : 76

Real vs Animated Pics

Postby sethwy91 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:59 am

When I first started roleplaying online, I only used animated pictures because I preferred them and it was much easier to find animated pictures of very specific things. For instance: it's much easier to find an animated elven archer than a real one that isn't Legolas. However, as I continued I became involved with a group of roleplayers that all used real pictures, and eventually I started using them too. Now it's mostly all I use, but I'm thinking I will probably switch back.

But anyway, my question is, which type of picture do you prefer? and Why?
sethwy91
Member for 1 years

Re: Real vs Animated Pics

Postby TornZero on Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:22 am

I prefer using anime-style pictures over real people. You don't have to go digging as long as you have a solid resource (mine is Pixiv), and you don't use a real person's face (and especially not a celebrity's face that you already see everywhere).

I also don't like using pictures that depict characters in existing series. As such, the "original" tag is the first thing I use most of the time. It's not difficult to find an appropriate face.
Remember: If you use an A in "definitely", you're definitely an A-hole.
TornZero
Member for 3 years

Postby sethwy91 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:07 pm

That's what I've thought too. Plus, I also can find good pics like, don't know if you've heard of them, but heise on deviantart.com. He's amazing. I use his pics a lot, as characters lol. Looks like someone else agrees too, someone other than us voted.
sethwy91
Member for 1 years

Postby Makenna Young on Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:00 pm

I mostly use real.
The reason for my real-life preference over anime is unbased, honestly, but I have many sources in which I use to find unseen photos across the internet.

I do not, however, like using celebrities as my charries. I only do so when I must, and go out of my way to find unique photos that fit my charrie's personality.

I will occasionally use anime, as for certain RPs they are more suitable, but I generally stick to real.
Makenna Young
Member for 1 years

Postby Kamal on Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:34 pm

It's kind of so-so for me.

I mean, I'd prefer a good real picture any day, but it's hard to find pictures that match what you desire. Therefore, I mostly prefer to stick to anime pictures, as they're easier to find. By a lot.
Kamal
Member for 1 years

Postby Script on Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:24 pm

For me, it varies by character. Often I'll use a photograph to represent a character in a 'realistic' world, where things are supposed to be as they are in reality to some extent. For a fantasy, futuristic or historical roleplay I'm far more likely to use a piece of digital art (animated isn't the right word, that would mean a moving picture such as the notorious gif-faceclaims) so as to properly represent aspects of my character such as style of dress, equipment, magic and etcetera.

I will never knowingly use an image of a famous celebrity, or a character from a show. I know that if I saw one like that, I would constantly associate the character with that picture with the celebrity/character in question and it would detract from immersion.
Image Image Image

(03:04:15) Lialore says: I wanted to be the poo.
Script
Global Moderator and Scholar
Member for 5 years

Postby Shanatos on Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:07 am

I don't necessarily prefer artwork, and don't prefer anime, but it's almost all of what I use because of my resources for character pictures. Reason is because, like others said, it's easier to find what you want. Especially because the image sites I use let you search by tags, meaning even if it's simple as hair + eye color I can find something I like. (and again, these sites are primarily anime)

And I suppose I just don't like creeping someone else's photos for my pics.
Shanatos
Member for 4 years

Postby GiggledustJedi on Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:06 pm

I actually prefer written descriptions over images in general because I can be as detailed as I want, and the fact that the image I usually have of my characters usually have facial features that are considered conventionally ugly. The only time I ever use images is for small stuff like clothes or something that's hard for me to describe.

I also feel that it's a bit rude to use pictures of real people to represent characters. Reason being is that they likely don't have permission to use that image, and the fact that if it's a celebrity of famous character I will mentally refer to them as who they are out of the RP's context. I especially dislike it when someone uses an animated image of popular characters. Seriously, that just bugs me to no end whenever I see someone using a picture of Raven or a badly recolored Sailor Moon to represent their OC. That, to me anyway, tells me that they're just plain lazy and uncreative.

Sorry for the mini-rant there. >.>"
GiggledustJedi
Member for 1 years

Postby Klein on Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:14 pm

I'm going to be somewhat honest with this one, I general prefer neither though seeing people have a tendency to NOT read any information you post on your characters profile if its too long and my own growing laziness I'm stuck with using images, however when it comes down to it I'd rather use Digital over Real and the reason is simple.

The 'Real' Photo is generally of a celebrity whom is more then likely being used by MULTIPLE other people just in the form of a different Photo, while a character albeit be it from a Movie or Animation on the Digit|Art Side can be altered depending on the Artist drawing style so it could look like an entirely different character all together, anyhow I also find it weird using photos of people in real life :L I always found it fun to look for an image drawn as realistically as possible, or one in an abstract style.. mostly images in an art style I personally prefer..

Blah, made no sense.. shouldn't post shit when I just get up from a nap but I was bored as fuck.
Klein
Member for 1 years

Postby woolenlace on Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:12 pm

I prefer drawn images, because of the abailability and often because they are more beautiful. But I tend towards realistic art rather than anime, like this picture I used for a recent character.

roleplay/isles-of-the-black-sand/characters/kathleen-hare/image

Anime always strikes me as out of place, especially in stories set in America or Europe, or anywhere that is on Earth but not Japan. And it always strikes me as overhyped. An anime character is often elaborately adorned, decked out in gear, and flawless physically. It sets the tone for and overpowered character before you even read their description.
woolenlace
Member for 1 years

Postby Silver Blood on Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:20 am

I prefer anime it brings out the life in picture then most real pictures have anime make you feel like you can be what ever you want or fall in love with the person you like. It brings out the belief in you that you couldn't bring out before.
Silver<3
Silver Blood
Member for 1 years

Postby VindicatedPurpose on Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:00 pm

Script wrote:Often I'll use a photograph to represent a character in a 'realistic' world, where things are supposed to be as they are in reality to some extent. For a fantasy, futuristic or historical roleplay I'm far more likely to use a piece of digital art (animated isn't the right word, that would mean a moving picture such as the notorious gif-faceclaims) so as to properly represent aspects of my character such as style of dress, equipment, magic and etcetera.

I agree with Script on this one. For me it depends on various factors, such as the genre, the setting, and to an extent, how I see the story in my head. To simplify things, it's usually divided into fantastic or realistic.

If the setting is gritty, dark, grim, or aiming for realism, then I would probably use a real picture. The picture used could be anybody, though most of the time it is usually a celebrity. However, most of the celebrities I use aren't really well-known, they aren't like Brad-gelinas, or Robert Downey Jrs. Plus the realism focuses on lack of perfection, therefore no matter how good looking the celebrity is, they're still human.

If the genre is say like a fantasy, or science fiction, I would be inclined to use digital art because that kind of art usually contains a bit or a lot of surrealism that is present within these genres. These genres are on a different plane of reality, I would say.

Plus there are various styles of pictures, some are colorful, others are pure gray-scale, but most of the time I try to aim for the more realistic characteristics, instead of the outlandish.

As I said earlier, about how I see it in my head, well to me the story can become like a movie reel. And so I see the characters being played out by the actors on screen. Most of the time I pick celebrities/actors that have been typecasted for certain roles, and I drop them into something that wouldn't normally be them.

To give an example, Sean Bean is normally known as the gritty medieval dude who highly values his personal honor, he's very sober, and often dies tragically. I could make a modern day playboy, who doesn't give a single damn about honor if his life was on the line. Other times, certain actors just fit the appearance that I want for my character as I see in my head.

Klein wrote:a character albeit from a Movie or Animation on the Digit|Art Side can be altered depending on the Artist drawing style so it could look like an entirely different character all together,

This is true, but it is also applicable to an actor's photo. Actors have a variety of photos, ones from when they are in a movie scene, others when they are on the carpet, and others when they are posing for photo shoots or as models. Each in itself could be considered different characters, after all, that's what actors portray. In addition you may modify them in ways similar to digital art to turn them almost into digital art.

Sometimes I might use musicians who have never been seen on the big screen, or who are vaguely remembered by their facial appearance by their fans. This is applicable to older musicians, but not for today's main-streamers like Lady Gagas or Justin Timberlakes. However, maybe the guys from Swedish House Mafia or Fort Minor could pull it off.

I never use anime though, mainly because there is a problem that I personally call "Distinctive Clarity Eyes Syndrome." For some reason, I can never get past how sharply defined the eyes are. It seems beyond normal how round they are, or how ocean blue they are.

Klein wrote:I general prefer neither though seeing people have a tendency to NOT read any information you post on your characters profile if its too long and my own growing laziness I'm stuck with using images, however when it comes down to it I'd rather use Digital over Real and the reason is simple.

For me, I read a character's description first, and see if the picture matches what they wrote so that there is actually a solid connection between the two.

Other times I like to check out art galleries on the internet and when I see a picture of a character out there that looks fantastically awesome, I feel like he/she needs to be given a story, so I model a character around that picture. And from there, it's a continuous exchange of inspiration.
A Desert Fantasy/Steampunk/Sci-Fi Roleplay

“I’m bored’ is a useless thing to say. I mean, you live in a great, big, vast world that you’ve seen none percent of. Even the inside of your own mind is endless; it goes on forever, inwardly, do you understand? The fact that you’re alive is amazing, so you don’t get to say ‘I’m bored.”
- Louis C.K.
VindicatedPurpose
Scholar
Member for 3 years

Postby NethanielShade on Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:13 pm

For me, it all comes down to the roleplay. In most fantasy roleplays I'd prefer an anime picture for my character. But if I played a futuristic one that isn't completely cyberpunk, or if I played a zombie apocalypse roleplay, I would most likely use a real picture. However, there's always exceptions.
Edit: I didn't realise I had basically re-worded what Script said. So yes, I am completely on Script's side, word for word.
ImageImage
NethanielShade
Member for 2 years

Postby FWO on Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:16 am

It really does depend on the role play as other people have already said but I tend to stay away from anime pictures unless that is the style the role play is going for. I like anime but I can't say that I ever imagine an anime face when reading a book or creating a character. Yet I'm also not always comfortable with using a real life photo of another person.

Really I just prefer to find some vague artwork that I feel represents my character or nothing at all. I've recently strayed away from not using any picture for aesthetic reasons. It is always nice to have a visual aid but I also usually change a few features within my profile and then keep a careful eye on the people who I'm role playing with to see if they acknowledge this or if they just take the easy way out and take the picture at face value.
Check out my blog, FANTASY WRITER ONLINE. Whether you write as a hobby or to pursue a career, there is something here for everyone.
FWO
Member for 0 years

Postby Captain Awesome on Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:03 pm

If you can find someone CLOSE to how you pictured the character, I'd say real.
I, however, typically draw out my characters to make sure they fit exactly how I saw them soooo~ I guess I don't really count. All in all though, I don't care. As long as the picture represents your character well.
RP basing also plays a huge part in it. If the RP is based off of an anime, I'd say it's much better to find an anime picture. If it's based off of a live action movie or book, real person is better. Original RP? Then my first statement stands.
Captain Awesome
Member for 0 years

Postby Marchie on Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:56 pm

I spend much too long on deciding on a character's image. I usually go with real, because I'm not a huge fan of anime. A lot of times I look for interesting pictures are base a character around them.
Marchie
Member for 0 years

Postby OutlawTorn on Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:41 am

Vote casted for No Preference, simply because it depends entirely on the nature of the RP(/The GM's desire for that given project).

Because when you're doing a very realistic, organic project based in 2014, with very realistic characters and a realistic plot, granting no room for fantasy, sci-fi, or anything fringe/fictional, and 6 writers post their characters using real pictures, and you post a 5'7" 89lbs anime chick holding a 120lbs claymore, riding a baby dragon into battle (or any anime styled character pic) .... (Let me be direct) You look like a complete fucking idiot, let alone a rookie.

I don't have anything against anime, or even character art of any kind, but it depends on the nature of the project as a whole, not your self-centred needs and preferences.

It's about maturity and responsibility (by that I do not mean it's immature to use anime pics, I mean it's immature to insist on using an anime pic in a clearly realistic story, full of realistically presented characters.)
"Love is long-suffering and kind. Love is not jealous, it does not brag, does not get puffed up, does not behave indecently, does not look for it's own interests, does not become provoked. It does not keep account of the injury. It does not rejoice over unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things."
—I Corinthians 13:1-7
OutlawTorn
Member for 1 years

Post a reply

RolePlayGateway is a site built by a couple roleplayers who wanted to give a little something back to the roleplay community. The site has no intention of earning any profit, and is paid for out of their own pockets.

If you appreciate what they do, feel free to donate your spare change to help feed them on the weekends. After selecting the amount you want to donate from the menu, you can continue by clicking on PayPal logo.