Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

(SUSPENDED) RPG's WEEKLY Song-fic Contest!

a topic in The Artist's Cafe, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Ambassadors

Have some artwork to share? Share it here — and feel free to ask for commissions!

(SUSPENDED) RPG's WEEKLY Song-fic Contest!

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:25 pm

Scroll down to the last post to read THIS WEEK'S song, in BIG BLUE LETTERS!

Or just CLICK HERE.

"Each song has its own secret that's different from another song, and each has its own life. Sometimes it has to be teased out, whereas other times it might come fast." -Mark Knopfler

Howdy-hey, guys & gals. Sato here.

A few years ago, the staff ran a "Song-Fic" contest during the summer months. We're dusting it off, and hoping to drum up the same fantastic response we got, then!

This is a *weekly(ish) contest that will feature songs by varying artists across varying genres. You will have *seven(ish) days and 1300 words (max) to turn that week's song into a one-shot.

Here's a general idea of how your entry will be judged.

1. Basic command of language. This includes grammar, spelling, diction, syntax, etc. The things you know already.
    2. Does your story compliment the song? How so, and to what degree?
    3. Was there visible effort put into your entry? Does it feel like a well-rounded work of art?
    4. Would your entry be Rem-Approved, according to the usual RoleplayGateway RULES?

You can quote lyrics in your entry, but you don't have to.

Prizes? (I can see your heads perking already .. )

1. Recognition from your peers!
    2. Bragging rights to your friends and family!!
    3.$500,000 USD of non-taxable cash!!!
    4. You get to help pick the winner for the next week!
    5. Your post featured on the contest thread, preserved for all time in its stunning cinematic glory.

(Click HERE to see the past winners!)

What other parameters are there? Not many, but remember you have no more than 1300 words at your disposal. Spin any yarn you please -- any scene that jumps out at you when you listen to the song. Let your inspiration come from the song itself!

Post your entry as a topic in the appropriate subforum. Give it a title. Be sure to include "Song-Fic Entry" and indicate either what week, or what song you're writing for before you begin your story.

On another note, if you don't wish to submit an entry, but have an idea for a fantastic song that should be featured, please send me a link!

Any further questions or comments, leave them below!

Happy writing!
Last edited by ViceVersus on Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:41 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Lifegiver Visual Appeal Concierge

Re: (JUN 15-23) RPG's WEEKLY Song-fic Contest!

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:27 pm

Week #1: FRI, JUNE 15 -- SAT, JUNE 23

The song you will be working with is "Blinding" by Florence + the Machine."

Florence and the Machine are an English indie rock band, consisting of lead singer Florence Welch and a collaboration of other artists who provide backing music. The band's music received praise across the music media, especially from the BBC, before they gained mainstream success. Specifically, the BBC played a large part in their rise to prominence by promoting Florence and the Machine as part of BBC Introducing. Quoted from Wikipedia.

"Blinding" is a track from their 2009 album, Lungs, which held the #2 position for five weeks on the UK Albums chart, and remained on the charts entirely for twenty-eight weeks! "Blinding" is a beat-driven, hauntingly operatic ode to a world long lost to childhood's twisted ivy. There's a lot of story and atmosphere to gleam from this one, and I hope you have fun with it!

Link to the song is HERE.

The deadline is, remember, June 23 at 12:00 PM EST.

Happy writing!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Lifegiver Visual Appeal Concierge

Re: RPG's WEEKLY Song-fic Contest!

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby AugmentationAudit on Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:13 pm

This sounds like fun. Once I've finished my post for The First Signs of Madness, count me in. =D
Custom character art on my profiles is work by the wonderful Hax. She does commissions and is happy to discuss drawing RP characters. Take a look and drop her a line.

AugmentationAudit
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:07 pm

Oh, AA. You make VV very proud. (:

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Saken on Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:41 am

Posted my fic in the writing subform, and Pm'd you some more music! Just lettin you know I'm promoting the best I can, and participating. Whoot!
Join in on my Mentoring Rp!
It's a chance to everyone to improve their skills.
Targeted at Newbies, but for everyone!
roleplay/mentoring-classification-zombies#introduction

I see you...

Saken
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Party Starter Friendly Beginnings Greeter Concierge Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Auroria on Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:55 pm

Sounds fun. I'll start up on this after I finish editing some stuff. If that's ok?
"Sometimes, all it takes to calm the beast, is a little patience."

Auroria
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Moonbow on Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:23 pm

This sounds very fun, can't wait to give it a shot!
"His frost performed its art
And it has stained my tainted heart
"

Moonbow
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby God_of_Darkness on Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:32 am

I'm busy this week, but I'll do it next week.
I love the idea of this but I'm tired and would probably need more time
I'll see what I can do in the next couple days but I have doubts
If I win one, can I get my avatar for rps enabled?
TAPPED:
DOUBLE TAPPED:

God_of_Darkness
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:05 am

God_of_Darkness, if you're having trouble getting your avatar for an RP to show up, that sounds more like a problem with cacheing. :P

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby God_of_Darkness on Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:22 am

ViceVersus wrote:God_of_Darkness, if you're having trouble getting your avatar for an RP to show up, that sounds more like a problem with cacheing. :P

It could be the fact that I'm on an iPad... I had read that you had to get your avatar enabled or something by a board administrator, so I thought that could be the problem, but no it has to be the iPad. Well at least that's one question answered :D

God_of_Darkness
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby throne on Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:37 pm

This was fun, both the writing and the reading. It's really interesting to see people's various interpretations of a given song. Will definitely be trying my hand at it again :D

throne
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:06 pm

Congratulations to throne, last week's winner!

Week #2: SAT, JUNE 23 -- SAT, JUNE 30

The song you will be working with is "Ships in the Night" by Mat Kearney

Mat Kearney (yes, one t) is an American singer/songwriter who deftly combines rock, folk, and hip-hop culture in his music. Born in Eugene, Oregon, and currently residing in Nashville, Tennessee, he exploded onto the scene with Nothing Left to Lose, an album putting him, his guitar, a piano, and some rap lyrics in the hearts and homes of the masses, thanks to a number of the infamous tracks being used in such shows as NCIS, Gray's Anatomy, Scrubs, and more!

"Ships in the Night", the second song on Mat's most recent album Young Love is a melodic, rhythmic offering featuring the best of Mat's soaring vocals, and his beat-driven rap. This is a song that speaks to you when you're driving at night. This is a song whose opening riff will stay stuck in your head for days. The lyrics paint a picture of a relationship gone bittersweet, because of distance and doubt. Let the tone take you away.

Link to the [awesome] music video is HERE.

The deadline is, remember, June 30 at 12:00 PM EST. Winners for this song, and a new song for the following week will be posted sometime that day, as well.

Happy writing!

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby AugmentationAudit on Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:16 am

Count me in again as well; it's a harder song for my characters this week, but I can do for a loose interpretation piece, I'm sure. =D

AugmentationAudit
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TheFinalOne on Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:25 am

This song isn't fun to hear when compared to last week's. But, I'm insane and will try corrupting this song's meaning too. Hopefully, nobody thinks the way I do. I'm not going to read anyone's posts till I have posted mine. If our ideas are similar, you are insane. And, I did not steal your idea. :)

Also, for a moment, I thought Jay-Z was singing the rap parts.
ImageRespect ma authoritah!
Are you irritated at coming last in every single thing? Don't worry. For just a cookie, I'll be TheFinalOne.

TheFinalOne
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Saken on Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:34 pm

I should be doing a contest this week, hopefully! I've not looked into the writing forum ( I was going to offer feedback to others on their song-fic from last week), until I'm done with mine. So! Prepare! For the epicness!... Later.

Saken
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Party Starter Friendly Beginnings Greeter Concierge Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:25 pm

Hello, all!

Before I post the new song this week, I just wanted to make a note on the future of this contest.

After the release of this week's winner (TheFinalOne), there was immediate concern over the listed criteria of the contest, and a request for more rigid requirements for "winning" this contest.

I would like to stray away from giving everyone a to-do list that they can check off, as the goal of this competition is to create occasion and environment where users may interpret the week's song in whatever way feels best to them. However, I understand that this needs to be offset with users knowing to what point and purpose they are writing to, and I will take that into due consideration moving forward.

As a result, the week's post-contest critiques will be more detailed, and will explain why the entry was not featured. This is less about "what you did wrong" and more about "what else was done in a different way" so that there's no bad blood. I will also attempt to remain as clinically precise and full of tact as possible. After all, I am immensely pleased and proud of everyone who takes the time to write up 1300 words.

In addition, the winner of the previous week will have the option of helping to judge the next week's competition. Another judge will likely be added as well, because it's not feasible to expect me to be be around every single Saturday, for the rest of time. When the contest was ran two years ago, the plan was to alternate between myself and a fellow Designer. I will update further on this.

To close, I am beyond delighted to see so much interest and activity coming to, and from this contest! The system is due for some tweaks, as all systems are. The fact that the contest is receiving enough attention that there are people voicing concerns is making me very glad, and I am excited to do what I can to ensure that everyone involved not only has the chance to put forth an epic songfic, but feels that the environment is fair and clearly defined to all.

As always, please spread the word of this contest! Also, if you have any songs you'd like to suggest, please send them my way! Every fourth week, the song is user-picked, and in two weeks I will be pleased to reveal what you guys are listening to, and what we will be writing for!

If you have any further questions or suggestions, please send them to me in a PM! New song for June 30-July 7 will be posted soon!

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:17 pm

Congratulations to TheFinalOne, last week's winner! The themes of separation and dissonance in everyone's entries were scary to see, when lined up together. Thank you to everyone who submitted!

With the last two weeks' songs being rather dark and moody, let's try for something a bit lighter.

Week #3: SAT, JUNE 30 -- SAT, JULY 7

The song you will be working with is "Charlie Brown" by Coldplay

Coldplay are a British alternative rock band known almost worldwide for their music. Frontman Chris Martin's vocals are a welcome and familiar sound. The group's music has been cited as "limestone rock" rather than hard rock, blending meditative lyrics with a fresh yet soothing presence. The band was started in 1996 and have put out five major studio releases to date - their most recent offering being 2011's Mylo Xyloto.

"Charlie Brown", released as the third single from the album, from the band's debut in 1996, to their most recent album (2011), Mylo Xyloto. The song crackles with energy, and urges the listener to punch on the gas, go for a ride, go for a walk, anything. The song has a feel of sunlight-breaking-through-the-clouds and make one's heart swell with its melody.

Link to the music video is HERE.

The deadline is, remember, July 7 at 12:00 PM EST. Winners for this song, and a new song for the following week will be posted sometime that day, as well.

Happy writing!

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Moonbow on Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:16 pm

Sounds cool! I'll be on time this time...I hope...

Moonbow
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Unconditional on Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:24 am

I will be looking forward to next week's song as I could not seem to connect with "Charlie Brown" by Coldplay and although I am slightly perturbed at the 1,300 word limit, the idea is interesting enough that I would like to give it at least one shot once a satisfactory song is presented. I look forward to the challenge.
"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The function of man is to live, not exist. I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them. I shall use my time."
-Jack London

Unconditional
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TheFinalOne on Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:23 am

dfshgh wrote:Oh, AA. You make VV very proud.

Sonnenbrille Armani online

As random as random gets.

EDIT: Oh goody, now my post seems random. Thank you, Greenies.

TheFinalOne
Member for 12 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!