Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

RSS Awareness Day, or How To Keep Up With The Admins

a topic in Main Lobby, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Ambassadors

The general community forum — the Main Lobby is where announcements can be made, games can be played, and stories you can trade!

RSS Awareness Day, or How To Keep Up With The Admins

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:52 am

You've heard that I read every single post on RolePlayGateway - and it's true. We get hundreds of forum posts per day, and I read every last one of them.

How do I do it? By using a technology called RSS. Coming up on May 1st is RSS Awareness Day, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to highlight this great opportunity for you to better improve your web experience.

What is RSS?

RSS (Really Simple Syndication) is a format used to deliver information from websites and pages that get updated regularly. An RSS document (which is called feed) contains either a summary or the full content from a website.

The main benefit of RSS is that it enables people to stay connected with their favorite websites without having to visit them. Once you subscribe to a particular RSS feed, you will automatically receive updates from the website that publishes the feed, whenever they release new content. The video below illustrates the process.

As you saw on the video, before you start subscribing to the RSS feeds of your favorite sites you will need to have an RSS reader. Below you will find a list of web-based and free RSS readers that you can use:

Google Reader <- RECOMMENDED!
Bloglines
Newsgator

Once you have your RSS reader working you can just head to your favorite website and subscribe by clicking on the RSS icon. Notice that most recent web browsers already identify RSS feeds, so you will be able to see the RSS icon both on the Navigation Bar of your browser and on the page itself, as the screenshot below illustrates.
roleplay_rss.png
The RSS Feed icon on RolePlayGateway!

Now you are ready to start using RSS feeds from all over the Internet! If you want to know more about it just check the Wikipedia entry for RSS.

And here's the link for RolePlayGateway's Forum Feed, just in case you're too lazy to go all the way up to your address bar to click the RSS feed icon:

Alvin Toffler wrote:The illiterates of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.

Take a moment and consider joining my Patreon group, where I share personal development updates and plans for the future...

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 19 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge Cult Leader Lifegiver Storyteller Donated! Anomaly Hunter Giver

Re: RSS Awareness Day, or How To Keep Up With The Admins

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vexar on Thu May 01, 2008 9:42 am

Ah yes <3 this feature.. EXTREMELY useful for the Moderators and Admins of this site..

A quick glance through, check out the latest things you've missed, and poof, decide whether you need to visit or not.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Vexar
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Person of Interest Beta Tester Tipworthy Streamwatcher Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby iggMaN on Wed May 14, 2008 6:31 am

Well, I see how good this is for admins and mods, but is it really useful for a common user?
Since I don't want to see a whole bunch of other posts and thread, just the threads I have written in, and those I want to be updated in.
Is there any way to do that? (I am really new to this RSS thing.)
// Insert an interesting signature here please! //

iggMaN
Member for 17 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Wed May 14, 2008 7:00 am

If that's what you want, go down to the bottom of each thread, and click the "Subscribe topic" link. This will enabled you to receive updates over instant messenger (if you're configured Jabber in your profile) and/or email, whenever someone responds to those topics.

In the future, we do plan to implements a more diverse RSS system, but right now it only aggregates all posts in the forum.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 19 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge Cult Leader Lifegiver Storyteller Donated! Anomaly Hunter Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby iggMaN on Wed May 14, 2008 7:07 am

I see.
Thanks.

iggMaN
Member for 17 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ashkenaz on Wed May 14, 2008 12:50 pm

Thank you Remaeus,

This was very helpful and solves a lot of my problems.

Ashkenaz
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!