Forum rules
Are you looking to get some roleplaying guidance delivered directly to your email? Subscribe to The RolePlayAcademy Roleplaying Tips feed to get exactly that.

Tales, From Space, I need help.

Topic Tags:

Having trouble understanding how roleplay works? Jump in here and ask for some help, you'll have a personal guide to help you out in various places as you play around the site.

Moderator: Scholars

Tales, From Space, I need help.

Postby coldheartzero on Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:11 pm

I'm currently working on a gaming system that I've been working on for, well, in one form or another since I was in the 7th grade. I'm 38 now, so yeah it's been a long time coming.

Attached in a .rar are my game files. I've put nearly everything in html format so you can easily navigate the different info. A couple of items are in .rtf or .doc format. Sorry but for those files, or at least one of them I needed to use that format. I can't remember if in this release how many of those extra items were in it. I think just one doc file. Anyway, sorry, open office or Jarte should be able to open them if you hate microsoft as much as I do. I try to put everything into html format.

READ THE README. It will answer a lot of questions, especially how I've been working on a game system for so long yet seem to not be very far into it. Also, I don't want sympathy.

I work full time as a professional Butler and my online time is limited to what I have at the library. My employer refuses to have intenet in her home. I will answer all questions if I think you've read the info provided.

I KNOW it's a lot of info, so if I don't answer a question, it's probably because it's already in the file provided or it's something I'm needing help with.

What I need most though is what my wife used to call herself. I need a "stylist". Someone to help my ideas look coherent. I can type all day, believe me I'm full of it.... :D

But the wires are a little loose and by the time the ideas get to my fingers they're a little convuluted.

I don't ever expect my game to sell, and although I intended it to eventually become an MMORPG like my family wanted, I doubt it will ever get beyond a bunch of html files stored in a .rar archive. But if it ever did sell, anyone that contributes meaningfully will get a fair share of the profits.

Thanks in advance, and I hope to hear some constructive criticism.

Now where's the spell check button?!
Attachments
11-13-2012.rar
A rar of my game files
(141.65 KiB) Downloaded 162 times
coldheartzero
Member for 2 years

Re: Tales, From Space, I need help.

Postby ViceVersus on Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:28 pm

Hey there, coldheartzero! Welcome to RolePlayGateway. Nice to see you jumping right in and asking for some assistance!

Anyways, what inspired you to create this game system? And I admire your dedication to stick with it thus far. Is there anything more you can tell us about the system?

Our forums have been hit by a host of spambots in the last few days, so I'm a little wary to download those files right away.

If you have any further questions about the website as you get settled in, please let me know.

-VV
ViceVersus
Scholar and Designer
Member for 7 years

Postby coldheartzero on Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:32 pm

Sorry in advance for the slow replies, but my internet time is limited and I can't always get away from work. I live at my job, and although I do tend to have plenty of downtime, it's a trade off for being woke up in the middle of the night, or asked for something at any random time regardless of what my plans are.

It's completely understandable Vice, about downloading the file that is. But you can scan it with any virus scanner and it will come up clean. Or just open the file without extracting it (with winrar or 7-zip) and see the contents without ever exposing your computer to anything funky. I do however understand where you're coming from.

The source of my inspiration is contained within the readme, but I don't mind answering anyway.

Back in the 7th grade the big thing was D&D, but I never liked it, mainly because I was always chosen the be the DM. So I sat about trying to make a "choose your own adventure" version where using die rolls and character skills could be used instead of a DM. I had pages and pages and pages of what I called "modules" at the time. Your die roll/character skill would determine each module used. You start off in a cave, roll a 3 and choose that module for the next section of the cave etc etc.

It kind of sucked, but really the game kept evolving as time moved on. I was improving ideas, adding and removing stuff, if something caught my attention, like the "Age of Sail" when pirates were big I'd refocus my ideas on that.

The current incarnation is the version I've put the most work on. However due to some issues 10 years ago which is in the readme (I don't want sympathy, just assistance).

This incarnation actually started out as stories I used to tell my son. But then my twin daughters got into the stories, then my wife, then once I got my wife into gaming it was just a natural step to move into high-science in space. I think if not for getting my wife into Earth and Beyond and her going ape shit about that game I probably would've left the my game as a modern day alternate reality genre,,, thing.

For any folks reading this. I KNOW you have no reason to believe me, but the .rar file is safe. If you're worried, you can safe open a .rar file without extracting any files and view it's contents.

A number of common questions that I've gotten on other forums are all answered in the readme. Generally most folks are intimidated by the amount of info contained but if you think this is alot, it's nothing compared to the design docs professional game developers have. I worked 2 years for Origin (97-99 as QA/Debugger) and you ain't seen nothing compared to that, or even an already released PnP game.

Thanks in advance
coldheartzero
Member for 2 years

Postby coldheartzero on Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:02 pm

Here is my latest update. I focussed mostly on just fleshing out the individual races eccentricities, minor history, art preferences, what they like to eat etc etc. Just check the update.txt for specifics.

Thanks in advance for any help, but as usual I think I'm beating a dead horse trying to garner some interest.

Contact info is available in the update and readme files. Or just reply here.

CRG
Attachments
11-26-12.rar
(175.14 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
coldheartzero
Member for 2 years

Postby coldheartzero on Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:57 pm

Another very very minor update, mainly just 3 doodles I did to test out my new scanner.
Attachments
tfs pictures.rar
some cheap doodles
(664.21 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
coldheartzero
Member for 2 years

Postby coldheartzero on Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:19 pm

All future game updates can be found at http://talesfromspace.tripod.com .

I'd like to apologize in advance as tripod sucks, but there's a story behind why I use tripod. Tripod screws up my formatting and the banner/popup adds suck. Anwyay, no more downloading.
coldheartzero
Member for 2 years

Post a reply

RolePlayGateway is a site built by a couple roleplayers who wanted to give a little something back to the roleplay community. The site has no intention of earning any profit, and is paid for out of their own pockets.

If you appreciate what they do, feel free to donate your spare change to help feed them on the weekends. After selecting the amount you want to donate from the menu, you can continue by clicking on PayPal logo.