Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

That's not poetry, it's art!

a topic in The Artist's Cafe, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Ambassadors

Have some artwork to share? Share it here — and feel free to ask for commissions!

That's not poetry, it's art!

Tips: 0.25 INK Postby ThatsNotPoetry on Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:40 am

:3
Some concept art for characters:

Aath (Octo-man; mottled black and grey with purple undertones)
*edit* Another Aath sketch has been posted on page 2!

Leif (tribal cat-man; white hair and fur)

Viktor ("Beast"; dark grey skin)

Reinke (depending on the story: mechanic/rat-man/pirate/nazi)

(yes I am aware that the uniform is incorrect)

Michael (commission for a friend)

Avery (commission for a friend)

And I'm gonna stop there. x3
I am available as an RP mentor should you seek to improve.
I draw things that you may like.
I like Ronald Jenkees and you might, too.

I require a certain level of writing skill in my stories. Don't be insulted, I just prefer to RP novel-level material. (I, I, I, me, me, me. I sound like such a jerk.)

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.25 INK in return for their work.

ThatsNotPoetry
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy

Re: That's not poetry, it's art!

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lamentations on Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:50 am

Hey could you make me a pic? That would be awesome.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Lamentations
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby iamsheena on Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:21 pm

Well those are just some lovely pictures. What fun :]

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

iamsheena
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Angel_Melfina on Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:32 pm

Holy CRAP those are AWESOME. I love the Octo Man, and the Rat Man and the Angel Man and the lady...ZOMG AWESOMMMMME
Today, Friday, October 10, 2009, is my last day on RolePlayGateway.com.
Everyone give me lots of love, because I shall be handing lots out. <3

Angel_Melfina
GWC Veteran
Member for 18 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Faerywitch on Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:36 pm

The octoman is amazing!
Yes! now open for commissions!
http://faerywitch.deviantart.com/

Faerywitch
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ThatsNotPoetry on Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:58 pm

Exo-Genisis, I am sorry to say that I am not accepting commissions are the moment :\

Well thank you very much, iamsheena. I'm glad you like them.

Lol, Angel_Melfina and Faerywitch. Aath is a popular one, I find; even though he's not even a complete sketch.

Alright, a couple more doodles I can dredge up on the ol' drive. These two were originally the same guy. Drew them both within the same hour. I decided to make two different dudes:

Devdas wears half a mask that warps to match the expressions of the other side. He's a sorcerer/shaman/priest.

Philatanus: biblical name of a demon who was involved with pedophilia. Very loose basis.

ThatsNotPoetry
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ThatsNotPoetry on Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:52 pm

I am finding several old projects spread across a number of computers in my possession/general vicinity. My very first painting class was also my very first attempt at painting. These are two of the products. Needless to say, I never painted again.

One of the most boring compositions I've ever wasted my time on. Why do I fail so hard at that?

Everything in this sucks but the beer bottle. I love that beer bottle.

ThatsNotPoetry
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ThatsNotPoetry on Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:27 pm

Heeere we go. The next few upcoming posts will contain my specialty: charcoal!

This was the very first self portrait I ever attempted, charcoal or otherwise:

ThatsNotPoetry
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ThatsNotPoetry on Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:12 pm

Another charcoal from my second-to-last semester as a fine arts student. I wasn't entirely pleased with this one. The legs didn't polish out and her body lacks any real depth. Also her shoulders. wtf happened. I'm only really happy with the hair and the hand holding it in place.

ThatsNotPoetry
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ThatsNotPoetry on Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:40 pm

Alright, I requested mod permission to post this one. So I have been instructed to warn viewers:

The following piece contains artistic nudity and horribly proportioned heads!

Life Drawing : Final Project

It was the largest surface on which I've ever worked (I think it was 29 x 41 inches, or something along those lines.) I don't have any tables in my home large enough for that, so I had to roll the sheet under the table on which I worked, then work on their heads upside down at the other end of the table. It was miserable and everything at the top end wound up oversized and somewhat warped. Oh well. It landed me in an art show and won cash so I can't complain!

Edit: lol, lamest "typo" ever.
Last edited by ThatsNotPoetry on Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ThatsNotPoetry
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Angel_Melfina on Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:25 am

You are amazing. Theses are so beautiful!

Angel_Melfina
GWC Veteran
Member for 18 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ThatsNotPoetry on Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:05 pm

:D! Thank you! I'm glad someone thinks so xD Generally posting my stuff online is a huge failure because it's not in a style that's popular. AKA, it's not anime.

Speaking of not being anime! here's a boring study of hands and feet!

ThatsNotPoetry
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Drako11 on Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:46 pm

Man why do you diss yourself so much!! These are utterly amazing! If I had an ounce of your talent I would be one happy camper!! Alas I couldn't draw if my life depended on it, although I want to draw....lol Anyways keep up the great work I like it all can't wait to see more!! : D
Image Image Image Image

Drako11
Member for 17 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ThatsNotPoetry on Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:05 am

:D Thank you Drako. But just as with anyone, the creator sees all of his/her own flaws before anything else. I can see stuff wrong with my drawings that you cant. x3

Regardless! Charcoal still-life.

ThatsNotPoetry
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby NightyKnight on Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:27 pm

Sheesh, you're very good with charcoal. I'd tried it after seeing your work.

I attempted to do a self portrait, but it ended up looking very similar to Alex Trebek... :?
'When you're finally in my arms, look up and see..
Love Has A Face'

NightyKnight
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ThatsNotPoetry on Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:38 am

Lol, Trebek.

Here's a few pointers when working with charcoal for things like that:

1. Don't lay it on too heavy at first.
2. Be prepared to do a lot of erasing. Some of the best marks you'll get won't necessarily be brushes of charcoal, but will be strokes of your eraser.
3. Use a kneaded eraser. You can get amazing detail with the little points and individual shapes that can be sculpted in a kneaded eraser.
4. Try using vine charcoal for value sculpting, and try using compressed charcoal for your deep darks. Careful though, compressed charcoal goes on dark and generally stays dark. It's easy to ruin a good picture with one false placement of compressed charcoal.
5. For really crisp highlights, consider a white conte crayon.
6. For portraits, consider the face a collection of polygonal planes. Begin by making broad shapes with the length of the charcoal piece, sculpting out the face in simply blocks. Work your way into blending and details.
7. Generally avoid solid lines.

ThatsNotPoetry
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby iamsheena on Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:51 pm

Even more wonderful art!

You do have real talent and every picture I have seen of yours has been fantabulous. You're absolutely fantastic!

And it is true about the artist being the hardest in anything done (it's always easier to put yourself down than put yourself out there on a pedestal of sorts), but as long as there are people around to praise you like we all are, I don't see much of a problem (provided you continue to achieve greateness).

Keep up the marvelous work!

iamsheena
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ThatsNotPoetry on Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:27 pm

Sheena, who's the baby in your icon? It's the most memorable icon on the board, I swear xD

And thank you for the boost. Of course, the purpose of showing art publicly is not for praise, but for critique! Don't assume you must oooonly make adoring comments!

Anywace, the last project I worked in in my last class of the major was a narrative self portrait. My theme centered around my thinning hair; a result of my below-par blood. I exaggerated thinning areas of my hairline and stressed my face in reaction. The page-size crops the right side a bit, but not by much at all. (Note the scratch lines on the paper from using cheap vine charcoal.) I didn't include my nose ring, as the dark ring detracted from the picture as a whole and was difficult to identify.

ThatsNotPoetry
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Syren Song on Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:23 pm

Your humans are amazing!! I am quite jealous of your anatomy skills. ;] I am quite fond of the perspective on the Octo-Man one. It's hard to look away! My all time favorite of yours though is Michael. I can't get enough of his wings or the figure! It's SO well done. *applauds you* It's just too perfect. Did you have to look at anything for reference? I could never just draw things like that off the top of my head. Really outstanding!!

Oh, and your self portrait is absolutely beautiful! It's so realistic, hehe aww and that's funny about your hair! xD
♥Willow Waters♥
    7th year Ravenclaw, Half-Blood

Syren Song
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tæfarós on Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:25 pm

Daaaaaaamn, I can't work with charcoal to save my life. You rock so hard. I love it when an artist can give me an urge to draw, and draw a lot. Many artists I know can develop concepts in their sleep but won't even touch the life drawings, and yet here you are, doing both extremely well. Post more or I'll have to do something naughty.

Tæfarós
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Contributor Lifegiver

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!