Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: With Chat currently offline... An alternative » Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? »

Players Wanted: Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted » DEAD! »

The Black Diamond Circle Discussion

a topic in Out of Character, a part of the RPG forum.

Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

The Black Diamond Circle Discussion

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Angel_Melfina on Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:20 am

Hey guys,

I don't want anyone to take any offense to this thread. I'm not posting this to insult any of the players, the creator of the RPG, or the people watching it. But I have a few things to address with you guys.

As some of you know, Jeweyll Lose has not been replying to people hardly at all. I have had a few of you come to me saying that you sent Jeweyll your character sheet and after a week, still had not received a reply back as to whether you were approved or not. Some of you have taken the liberty to go ahead and post a character and join, and that's perfectly fine. I don't blame you; I would have done the same thing.

I PMed Jeweyll yesterday morning explaining all of the things that I am listing to you now. I want to make sure we have permission for what I want to propose to you guys. If I don't hear back from Jeweyll by the end of the week, I think it will be necessary to implement further action.

I think all of us have the impression that Jeweyll was going to play the old man, but the old man has not shown up. After noticing this and the fact that after 6 pages, nothing has happened to further the plot of the story, quidhala came to me with a proposition. He suggested that we have a moderator.

I have never RPed with a moderator before, and I don't know how the rest of you feel about it, but I think it might help in our case unless we can find someone else to be the old man to push the story along. Quidhala asked if I would help him in moderating the topic. All we would do is come up with a more detailed storyline to go with the main plot, and interject every once in a while if the players begin to stray from the story. I don't think everything the characters have done thus far is a waste of time (I've had a blast so far) but I believe we need to do something that will get us going on the main plot.

Again, I have PMed Jeweyll asking for permission on this subject, but as I said, if I do not get a reply back by the end of the week, I think it's mostly up to the players.

Quidhala said he is working on a storyline to present to everyone.

I'm in class, so this post is kind of disorganized. I hope you all get the basic points of it.

Please post here and give us your opinions. I don't want to do anything if a majority of the involved members don't want to. I want to have an intelligent discussion about it. I really love this RPG and think it has great potential with the story that Jeweyll presented to us, but it just hasn't gone anywhere.
Today, Friday, October 10, 2009, is my last day on RolePlayGateway.com.
Everyone give me lots of love, because I shall be handing lots out. <3

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Angel_Melfina
GWC Veteran
Member for 18 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Contributor

Re: The Black Diamond Circle Discussion

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ryand-Smith on Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:33 am

Ok. Now I feel an intresting role here. I want to be the primary antonginst, as in, Eventually, I'm going to be the typcal villia, but without breaking the "Evil Villian Guide" so to say. So, I just want to say, in a few posts, expect that that broken glass may cost you, so to say. So, other comments, requests?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Ryand-Smith
Member for 18 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Shadeyrou on Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:09 pm

I agree. I'd love to move the story along. I really don't want to take it over from Jewyll or anything, but there are a lot of people in it, as said, it's reached 6 pages, and I'm having a lot of fun with it, I'd hate to see it die.

Shadeyrou
Member for 17 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Shock on Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:57 pm

Angel, to be honest I'm very pleased that Quid and yourself have taken the initiative to ensure the story moves on to the main plot one way or another. I certainly cannot see how anyone could take offence at your suggestions.

Well, so far the RP is 6 7 pages, almost 13,000 14,000 words, and I think very enjoyable reading. However we ARE only in the beginning and so I'm really looking forward to the main story, lots. I agree that a moderator or someone filling Jeweyll's role, or whatever is agreed upon, is necessary for that to happen satisfactorily, and so I agree with your suggestions.

Looking forward to what Quid has to put to us!

Ryand, I was under the impression that your character wasn't evil, but rather just hated mages for the reasons you gave. That was what I thought you meant in your initial post, is there anything you would like to add or clarify, here, or have I just got this wrong? :D Do you plan on him becoming a full-on villain? (Sounds cool). Additionally, your character sheet also lists his name as being Allan Cororolen, but he is referred to as 'Master Ryand' by Lord Regulus. What is his full name, if we are allowed to know?
Last edited by Shock on Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Shock
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby jakolentu on Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:11 pm

I too had submitted an application about two weeks ago. It was for a villain. If you don't mind a bothersome villain I'd like to volunteer for the position(s). And because I am not able to post as often as I would like, the villain character would be on a part-time basis; appears to harass the party, gets defeated, and escapes only to appear again another time - learning from mistakes but not getting any smarter - kind of character.

I know villains can be hard to play properly, especially when it comes to the element of surprise or simulating combat with NPC minions, but I'd like to give it a shot.

Let me know~! :twisted:

jakolentu
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Shock on Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:49 am

Sounds cool to me jako, that's the sort of villain our characters will all get to know over time and have some knowing banter with, methinks.

+ 1 vote FTW

Shock
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Angel_Melfina on Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:01 am

Oh wow, I'm glad I'm getting a good reaction on all of this. I'm so paranoid that if I say the wrong thing, or say something in the wrong way, people will freak out. Here, I guess I was worried that you guys would think I was trying to take over the RPG, or tell you what to do or something. >.<

Anywho, jako, I'd love for you to join as a troublesome villian. I wish I had known sooner that someone was waiting for 2 weeks for a reply from Jeweyll. I would have taken action sooner. Just go ahead and post all of your information in the thread like we did and get started. =) Just make sure you've read what's going on at the beginning, and at least scan the rest of the posts to have a general idea of what's going on.

I'm really excited to see what quidhala (Nix, as he says we can call him) has to offer us in the storyline area. He's such a great writer, and I only expect great things from him. No pressure, Nix! =D

Now one last question for you guys...How should we go about trying to find someone to be the old man? I mean, someone could double up on characters if we can't find someone. I think Nix should do it, personally. And if he didn't want to, I would do it as a last resort. As I mentioned, this is my first RPG in years, so I'm still getting used to things. I don't think I've caught up with my old skill quite yet, so I don't feel comfortable just volunteering myself, but I suppose I would do it if we couldn't find anyone. Any suggestions?

Angel_Melfina
GWC Veteran
Member for 18 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Angel_Melfina on Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:55 am

Blarg, I hate I double posted in both this thread and the RPG. I'm too paranoid that if I edit my last post, no one will notice the changes and will miss the message...

I want to implement a freeze on this RPG for 24 hours. Quidhala and I think it's the best thing to do right now since the plot of our RPG has not progressed at all. We discussed it in the chat this morning, and came to the conclusion that it would be a good idea. That way, quidhala will be able to come up with a few storyline choices more accurately and when we pick one, we'll be able to dive right into the story. It's been hard for him to do so the past couple days because we've been posting so darn much. =P

But there are a few things we need to do first:

First of all, bookmark or subscribe to this topic so you can see all the updates that will be posted today.

Second of all, we need to know who the dedicated players are. I've noticed only about 4 to 6 of us are posting on a regular basis. I don't know if the rest are just waiting on the plot to progress of what, but please let us know how dedicated you are to this RPG.

I think that's all for now...Quidhala just presented what I think is an AMAZING idea, but I will let him elaborate on that. Hopefully he'll post it here soon so that we have all day to ask questions about it.

I'M SO EXCITED!! This is coming together so well!!

Angel_Melfina
GWC Veteran
Member for 18 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby iggMaN on Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:17 am

I am active ^^

I think a outsider would be best for playing the old man. Or else they might favoriteise the mage that they are playing :P or something like that.
// Insert an interesting signature here please! //

iggMaN
Member for 17 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby quidhala on Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:28 am

What I want to propose here is a little plot injection and direction. I don’t want to pull your characters out from under you so I will PM you with my suggestions asking for your consent. I hope this transition is fast and painless. I think it would be best if everyone looked around and found some place for their characters to sleep for the night. ;)

First is the issue of who is dedicated to the thread. I know there are a few questions about players that have posted in the past as to whether they will return. If we don’t have all 8 when we resume, or if there are people waiting to introduce their characters, they will have a chance once the adventure is underway. I hope to PM you all to confirm your status and to give you vital information about your role in the story. Vital!

My characters will be joining the story. One is a wind mage and the other has no magical skills. The wizard will make him self known soon and send you all on a grand adventure. I will be narrating some sections as, hopefully, a neutral observer. I may control some group movement and may establish some scenes with as little metagaming as possible to keep the plot moving forward. Please forgive me and PM me with any comments or objections.

I ask for a little time to reread everything that has happened so I can tailor the story to what you all have done, which is remarkable so far.

Thank you,

quidhala

quidhala
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ryand-Smith on Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:29 am

Ah! On one point, that was the daemon of character inconstancy, which shall be retoconned, as soon as I can, and also, you are right, I'm not the typical EVVIILL, but more of a "These are bad people, from what I know, and for Justice, I must stop you" Lawful Neutral, sort of philosipy.

Ryand-Smith
Member for 18 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Shock on Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:24 pm

Seeing that we are taking a break from the story to implement this change of structure (which I wholeheartedly agree to) I thought I might provide links to the updated story in full. If anyone wants to recap without scrolling through sigs and having to change page, and without OOC chat, feel free. They're small files. The .pdf is especially pretty!

The Story So Far (.pdf, 267KB) http://files-upload.com/files/647113/Th ... %20Far.pdf
The Story So Far (.doc, 226KB) http://files-upload.com/files/647149/Th ... %20Far.doc

Nix, sounds great. I'm sure you'll handle the delicacy of controlling the plot and affecting our actions in a fine way. Can't wait for this to be revealed fully. Watching my inbox.

Angel, I know I haven't posted recently, but that is for several reasons:

:: There were alot of people introducing themselves etc, and I wanted to give that room to happen without adding too much. In fact, I purposefully left Bryce in a conspicuous place so that others could interact with him if they wanted to, but without pressure to do so. And so he's just relaxing in his carriage, passing the time, and will probably sleep there.

:: I thought that Jeweyll might make an appearance.

:: I have been reading the posts as they come in, and as for your section with Shade - which I think is excellent for your characters' relationship being built up - I've been more than happy to read and watch what you guys are up to, thinking that surely, Jeweyll will come soon! ( :? )

Heh. Anyway, I'm not AWOL. Also, I know Jade hasn't spoken up here yet, but she's always active. Adrenaline + steroids + caffeine level active. (No denials, Jade. It's a good thing :D )

Ryand, that clears things up for me, and sounds good man.

Shock
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby quidhala on Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:51 am

I just wanted to address a few things that happened before and give a little guidance to you all.

-Please, no OOC comments in the game thread anymore. If someone posts a comment there directed at you don’t respond, even if it pisses you off. We have a discussion thread for that stuff now. Along this line, please remember to separate what you know and what your character knows. This will be central to the natural progress of this story.

-Also if you accidentally double post, (which I do several times a day) please go back and edit them out. There is a box at the top you can check to delete the extra copy, then hit the submit button.

-Please be specific with your descriptions of where your character is and what they are doing. It can get confusing to the story.

-Be careful to read all the posts before yours. I noticed a few inconsistencies in the postings and I know some of you like to post together, back-and-forth. Just be sure to refresh the thread before you post to see if someone added to the story while you wrote. I recommend you compose your posts in a word processing program so you can browse the posts and not disturb your work. (Spell-check and Grammar-check are appreciated.)

-When you are around other player’s characters, please keep your actions/speech short to allow other characters to respond, especially in regards to action scenes. (defend/challenge/attack/answer) Please be patient and allow others to post unless you are directly engaged with another character in combat, discussion, or anything else.

-I work for the military so I understand as much as any of you that, things can happen and people have real obligations. If I had to disappear for a while I would hope Angel could continue moderating and that someone would be able to take over my characters or write them out in a way that fits into a story. I hope you all feel the same. I have my email posted. If you think I have disappeared please contact me there.

Changes in the game plan.

When Angel or I post as the moderator or the Wizard we will use a RED text color to show that it is not from our characters and that you should pay special attention. If anyone is going to play multiple characters they can choose a color to help ease of reading.

We will be writing; cut sequences, when a scene has come to a worthy conclusion; transition sequences, because you all have a long way to travel; and Key Features, when there is something your should notice, explore or interact with. Please don’t think of these as metagaming or godmodding. This is just meant to move the plot and trim the fat. We may uses game freezes and add directions we would like you to consider on the discussion board or in PM if it only pertains to your character.

If anyone has an issue with something Angel or I do please contact us in PM or on the discussion board. I want to stress that what your character chooses to do is in your control. You can run out and join the circus, kill an innocent child or anything. I really can’t stop you. If you have any plot points you want to discuss please contact us. (E.g., if your character decides to disappear into the desert to meditate and work with their powers talk to us.)

In this story not all of you may make it to the end. Characters may die, if it serves the story (but only with consent.) I’m not here to ruin your fun. I just want to make a compelling story.

Directions: When the “Freeze” is lifted please wind down the game in a natural way and put your characters to bed. Then Angel and I will go to work.

I’ll just ask if there is anything Angel would like to add.
Thank you.

quidhala
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jadeling Hawkins on Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:12 am

I think this all sounds wonderful :) I'm really glad that we'll be maintaining some order. Can't wait to see the new and improved rp as a result!

Jadeling Hawkins
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby quidhala on Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:49 am

Quality and Magic

I forgot a couple of things I wanted to mention.
I value quality over quantity and I hope this RP can become one of the greatest on the site. I think Jeweyll started with a solid concept. I hope you all think of this as a community work of fiction as well as a-hell-of-a-lot of fun. I want you to keep in mind character development and story advancement when ever you post. I know it’s been hard when you were supposed to have a leader and that got pulled out from under you all. So now that we will have a little more leadership, I hope you will all look at this as a chance to test your writing skills and I hope you will enjoy yourselves as well. This isn’t a posting contest, this is interaction between characters. It’s about relationships and growth.

I would like you all to think about how your magic will work through you. What aspects of your element will develop that will complement your character’s personalities? I think everyone should come up with a concept for a unique expression of power. Not every one saying; “I shoot fire bolts.”, “I shoot Ice bolts.”, “and I shoot earth bullets.” etc…
If your character is shy and cares for others, perhaps she will develop a more defensive or healing form of magic. (E.g., elemental shield)
If your character is afraid and weak, maybe his power will make him stronger or tougher so he can face his fears. (E.g., summoning an elemental beast to be a protector.)
I will tell you about my own concept to give you a better illustration. I just posted my character descriptions and you can take a look. Winston is old and has been hiding from his past life and his own power. He uses magic all the time but doesn’t realize it. The wind fills his body with energy and allows him and his nephew to travel without rest. He uses his power to help his nephew fight to protect them as he is a bit cowardly himself. His magic will never be very powerful because he is so old. His magic will be simple and practical and will enhance abilities that people already have.

Also make sure you have some form of cost that accumulates depending on how much power you use. It fatigues you physically/mentally. Summoning a small spark, doesn't feel like anything. Summoning a Thunderbird makes you fall into a coma. Something like that. The more practice you get, the more energy you will have to spend. Manage this yourselves, I'm only mentioning it.

These are things I hope you will consider as we move on to help enrich the story.
Thank you

quidhala
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Shock on Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:33 am

Absolutely wonderful. I for one shall attempt to do all this work and planning of yours justice. I now officially love this RP.
OOC in this thread is also a very welcome addition.

I also can't stop staring at your profile picture, quid. I have no idea why. Argh, get it away from me! He's staring back!

Shock
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ryand-Smith on Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:34 am

I personally will deal with magic through the way of my sword. Hope your magic is fast enough, so to say, because I think I'll go for the later middle ages aproach to armor. Not the classic suits, but lighter chain mail, with a focus on slicing through the fighter, before they can summon the firebird, so to say.

Ryand-Smith
Member for 18 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby quidhala on Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:48 am

I'm sorry. Maybe I was unclear in my directions. I don't want my directions to be taken as direct orders.

When I said start wrapping it up, I didn't mean everyone is magically ok with all the bad stuff that just went down and is in the same area again. I wanted you to RP your way to a satisfying conclusion that would allow your characters to settle down and go to bed. When ever I direct you, please keep role playing. If I need to use any GM magic I will try to explain clearly here in discussion, and Angel or I will try to write it out in the game thread to make it a smooth transition.

Thank you

quidhala
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Angel_Melfina on Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:30 pm

Oh my. There is so much stuff going on with this project, it's awesome! Yes, I see this is a project, not just as an RPG. This is going to be so awesome as long as we all stick to it and keep writing well until the end. I was just reading the RPG of the year topic in the staff forum, and realized that a lot of RPGs tend to start out strong and slowly fall apart towards the end, whether it is the story that is falling apart, or people just stop caring about how they are writing. (I don't want to keep this RPG alive just to win the RPG of the year or anything, I'm making a point! =P)

I don't want to push you guys to join the RPA or anything, but I want to make sure that we are all working to improve our RPing as much as possible, not just for this thread but any that you are involved in. I am constantly working to improve my writing every day. I know I could describe things better here, or use better dialogue there, or separate my paragraphs better somewhere else. RPing should always be a work in progress, and I hope you all see it that way as well.

I've actually worked with quidhala on my writing some, and one thing I realized talking to him is that when I post, I'm not usually thinking about what everyone else will understand from my post, I'm just writing it so that I like and understand it. Please make sure you reread your post before you post it, and make sure that the other people in the RPG are getting everything they need to understand what your character is doing. You might also catch some typos that way, too. =P (I just edited this post 3 times because I kept finding typos! BAD MELFINA). One last thing about others understanding your posts...make sure you format them so that it is easy for the other members to read it. I think we'll keep people's attention better that way. (I love reading Stephen King books, and half the reason why is because he separates his chapters into subchapters and stuff, and it makes it easier to read. =D)

-OCD-

I think those are just a few random thoughts I had. Nix, I think you've covered mostly everything we talked about, so I don't have anything to add as far as the story goes.

Just make sure you guys are winding down for the night in the RPG so that we can progress once everyone is asleep. You don't have to do it in one post. I know Saylee can't really go without Shade, and some of you may be the same way.

Just as quidhala said, if you guys have any questions or complaints about what we're doing, please feel free to PM us or something. We want this to be fun and productive for everyone.

Happy posting! =D

Angel_Melfina
GWC Veteran
Member for 18 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Keen on Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:03 pm

If you need another villain, or some other random character. Please let me know, I'd be more than happy to help out.

Keen
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!