The League of Origins

The League of Origins

In a nuclear wasteland we struggle to survive. Our League Of Origins replaces the inevitable war over resources, but what will the outcome of this “sport” be for us?

Owner:
Game Masters:
Tags: (Add Tags »)
This topic is an Out Of Character part of the roleplay, “The League of Origins”. Anything posted here will also show up there.

OOC » The League of Origins

Topic Tags:

Forum for completely Out of Character (OOC) discussion, based around whatever is happening In Character (IC). Discuss plans, storylines, and events; Recruit for your roleplaying game, or find a GM for your playergroup.

[OOC] The League of Origins

Postby blackwolt on Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:10 pm

Last edited by blackwolt on Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

The useless and weak elements of society should be purged from the world, leaving only the powerful and strong. Power is acknowledged as being the only thing of true worth, and only the strongest of the strongest have the right to rule.
blackwolt
Member for 4 years

Re: [OOC] The League of Origins

Postby wolf1992 on Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:12 pm

Aaaannd it's up! Beautiful!

This is our first roleplay, so please excuse us if anything seems out of place, excessive or just plain weird.
As stated in the roleplay, we have given ourselves a limit of 10 persons. We might expand that, but we thought two teams of 5 each would increase the character interaction as well as progression more than 5 teams of 10 each.

Our thought is for the characters (and you players) to familiarize yourself before we set out for the first match :) Our ultimate goal in this "League of Origins" (of course the best harvest town!) will be made clear soon! May the path before us take the battle to the most exotic places.

If you are wondering how a dome is built up, it's just like a turtle shell with a city in. The city is surrounded by a chosen environment (the Aequitas with it's M3 dome has a seaside environment - think beaches, palm trees etc.).

Please do not be restricted with the classes we have mentioned in the play. Medic, tactician and scout were only meant as guidelines! Please create a unique class as long as we can approve of it!

Oh and if you want your character's history to include another dome, please write here in the OOC or PM one of us GM's! Most likely we will want to put that dome on our list of domes :)

I guess that was it after a hectic night of proofreading and BBcoding :)
wolf1992
Member for 3 years

Postby Mr. Crow on Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:36 pm

I tagged this 'original' to get it on the front, so it should receive greater attention. And of course it is indeed original. lol I'm sure you are already aware, but you guys did a fantastic job!

If my presently hectic schedule allows it, hopefully I'll be able to join this stunning RP.
Mr. Crow
Member for 4 years

Postby HasbeenKOed on Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:57 pm

Damn this looks good. Almost too good. Seriously, I'm pretty literate, but you've presented it so well, I'm not sure I can overcome the challenge! I guess I'll write up a character and let you make that decision, but the main reason I posted was to say great concept, great presentation and, hopefully, great to be writing with you soon.

*Goes off to write character, knowing all to well he has minor writer's block and it'll take longer than it should.*

...but is too dang inspired!
HasbeenKOed
Member for 4 years

Postby Zombicide93 on Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:01 pm

This looks amazing, great work on your first created rp! question about melee classes...traditional steel swords/chainmail and plate? or is it more high tech like power armor power swords ETC
Zombicide93
Member for 3 years

Postby Varyar on Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:04 pm

This is very well-thought. The world you made up is rich and creative, and it is interesting to imagine that mankind has evolved so much and, at the same time, is completely based in tournaments and "entertainment".
Your character skeleton is great too. But before I submit anything, I was wondering: I'm already participating another rp, so is it okay if I join this one, or will you need a greater commitment to it? Thanks in advance, I loved your rp, you guys did a very nice work!
Battle not with monsters, lest you become a monster; And if you gaze into the abyss, the abiss gazes also into you.
Friedrich Nietzsche
Varyar
Member for 3 years

Postby Leli on Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:25 pm

For a first roleplay I have to say this is atop being well written and thought out, also surprisingly unique. Just gotta say, Canada is a damn big state, y'know, it being even larger than the whole states of the USA currently.

About the contests I do have some questions though:

1. Are we using energy and heat weapons such as those in, sorry for the reference, the gundam wing series? Also is the armour things such as kevlar, or something akin to power armour?
  2. Will the contests differ from situation to situation? In your intro I see what looks like two people racing and my whole idea of the contests so far is that it's essentially races.
  3. Who will be controlling the NPC's (if there are any)?
Leli
Member for 3 years

Postby JokerofSpades on Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:18 pm

Varyar wrote:This is very well-thought. The world you made up is rich and creative, and it is interesting to imagine that mankind has evolved so much and, at the same time, is completely based in tournaments and "entertainment".
Your character skeleton is great too. But before I submit anything, I was wondering: I'm already participating another rp, so is it okay if I join this one, or will you need a greater commitment to it? Thanks in advance, I loved your rp, you guys did a very nice work!

I'm in 6 at the moment, and am still going strong :D

And i do also love what you guys have done here, very impressed. May make a character after work tomorrow if that is okay.
And i also have to question the armor and/or abilities. What are the limit on them?

And to Leli, thanks for thinking of the Canadians :D we appreciate it.
Try Trumping this.
JokerofSpades
Member for 3 years

Postby wolf1992 on Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:17 am

Mr. Crow wrote:I tagged this 'original' to get it on the front, so it should receive greater attention. And of course it is indeed original. lol I'm sure you are already aware, but you guys did a fantastic job!

If my presently hectic schedule allows it, hopefully I'll be able to join this stunning RP.

Hehe, thank you. While we have drawn inspiration from several sources (the domes - Chrome Shelled Regios), we have indeed tried to keep it as original as possible. And I hope you liked our "economic crisis plotline" inspired by what's happening at the moment. ^^

HasbeenKOed wrote:Damn this looks good. Almost too good. Seriously, I'm pretty literate, but you've presented it so well, I'm not sure I can overcome the challenge! I guess I'll write up a character and let you make that decision, but the main reason I posted was to say great concept, great presentation and, hopefully, great to be writing with you soon.

*Goes off to write character, knowing all to well he has minor writer's block and it'll take longer than it should.*

...but is too dang inspired!

You have no idea how nice a comment that is! Please take your time creating your character (mine's not ready either). On another note I hope the rules and the character skeleton are decent. We put quite a bit of consideration into them, but lacked a bit of experience (always easier to be the one to just follow it ^^). Please ask if in doubt about ANYTHING!

Zombicide93 wrote:This looks amazing, great work on your first created rp! question about melee classes...traditional steel swords/chainmail and plate? or is it more high tech like power armor power swords ETC

While we agreed that the melee school would be honoring the legacy of medieval times, I have really thought of them as wearing some kind of futuristic plate armor (think heavy armor from Mass Effect, I guess), some sort of flexible but plated armor. But a melee school doesn't necessarily need to wear a heavy, plated armor.
As for weapons, I'd like to keep it at non-energy based weapons unless you can incorporate the energy part into a "hard" blade. Please see my answer later on. As for shields, however, I believe small force fields would be okay to use.

A quick note: Aequitas (the city we will be fighting for) does not have any army regulation. It's sort of like a mercenary band (with weapons and armor from everywhere). I'll try to have some kind of regulation notice up tonight (color schemes, tabard logos, or whatever^^)

Varyar wrote:This is very well-thought. The world you made up is rich and creative, and it is interesting to imagine that mankind has evolved so much and, at the same time, is completely based in tournaments and "entertainment".

Thank you! Well, as long as you can keep up with a storyline I see no problem in being in more than one RP. Just be sure you can keep up a decent posting speed so your character can progress along with us all. And thank you again!

Leli wrote:For a first roleplay I have to say this is atop being well written and thought out, also surprisingly unique. Just gotta say, Canada is a damn big state, y'know, it being even larger than the whole states of the USA currently.

About the contests I do have some questions though:

1. Are we using energy and heat weapons such as those in, sorry for the reference, the gundam wing series? Also is the armour things such as kevlar, or something akin to power armour?
  2. Will the contests differ from situation to situation? In your intro I see what looks like two people racing and my whole idea of the contests so far is that it's essentially races.
  3. Who will be controlling the NPC's (if there are any)?

0) Thank you very much. Yeah, Canada is a kinda unique and big 51st state :) I just said "what the heck" when writing that part of the storyline :)
1) I am not quite sure I understand what you mean by "Power Armor", but as for energy weapons I'd say no. Humanity has already had itself almost destroyed by nuclear weapons... I'd imagine they'd be rather disturbed by the prospects of people carrying around small "mini nukes" as swords ^^

Of course, if you want to implement the energy as being some sort of effect on a blade (like a stunning effect) rather than the blade itself (I'd like that the blades were forged of one of our known materials like steel etc.) it would be okay. So you COULD have a blade of steel with energy surges running down over, as long as it's not so overpowered that you can fry your enemy through his sword. ^^

2) Yes, we will try to make it differ from city to city. As you can see we have only created two cities as of know because we wanted to get the roleplay going while creating the last ones. The idea is that you either fight on bridges lowered between the two domes (and of course in the cities), or that you fight in areas. As every dome has a different environment, we hoped to make different situations. Also, we might be battling some cities as a team deathmatch instead (Maybe without mercy O.O).

3) I will have to let blackwolt answer that question, sorry.

JokerofSpades wrote:I'm in 6 at the moment, and am still going strong :D

And i do also love what you guys have done here, very impressed. May make a character after work tomorrow if that is okay.
And i also have to question the armor and/or abilities. What are the limit on them?

And to Leli, thanks for thinking of the Canadians :D we appreciate it.

The keyword is realism. The armor must fall within realistic boundaries: Your character must be able to carry it, and it should not be too bulky if you want to move fast. When it comes to abilities, I'd still like you to be realistic. While "Sprinting fast" would be a realistic ability, the telekinetic movement of other characters would be unrealistic. So be realistic.

Edit: As so many people ask about it, I will try to add an "equipment" section to our roleplay describing weapons and such. I just need to speak with blackwolt before posting anything.
wolf1992
Member for 3 years

Postby Mr. Crow on Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:26 am

Hehe, thank you. While we have drawn inspiration from several sources (the domes - Chrome Shelled Regios), we have indeed tried to keep it as original as possible. And I hope you liked our "economic crisis plotline" inspired by what's happening at the moment. ^^

Lol You know, I was thinking how it seemed similar to that show. And yes, I do like that added touch. Insertion of current events in the plotline, do make it more believable.
Mr. Crow
Member for 4 years

Postby Crooked Thoughts on Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:59 am

I don't mean to come off as an asshole or arrogant, but I did want to point out a mistake in the front page of your RP. You wrote rooster instead of roster. If it wasn't in large writing, I would ignored it, but since it is large letters, I thought you might like to know.

But, great RP. It looks very good and has a great story.

I've been wanting to create a combat roleplay with a story for a while now, so I am very interested in joining yours. However, I am busy with a few of my own games. But, I may still have time.

Either way, I will be following this RP. I am very interested in seeing what type of characters get submitted and accepted, as well as where the story goes.
Self Proclaimed, Master Realm Weaver: need help creating a RP? PM me!

Vivid-Minds; a society of sophisticated RPers and Roleplays. Join us?

...LIVE in your world, ROLEPLAY in mine...
Crooked Thoughts
Member for 5 years

Postby wolf1992 on Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:31 am

ÆSIR Society wrote:I don't mean to come off as an asshole or arrogant, but I did want to point out a mistake in the front page of your RP. You wrote rooster instead of roster. If it wasn't in large writing, I would ignored it, but since it is large letters, I thought you might like to know.

But, great RP. It looks very good and has a great story.

I've been wanting to create a combat roleplay with a story for a while now, so I am very interested in joining yours. However, I am busy with a few of my own games. But, I may still have time.

Either way, I will be following this RP. I am very interested in seeing what type of characters get submitted and accepted, as well as where the story goes.

Thank you for pointing out that mistake! :) I'll make sure it is corrected as soon as possible!

Quick update: I am currently writing the "Weapons and Armor" section for the roleplay to clarify the current situation regarding weapon materials etc. I will include a standard armor that is issued to all soldiers. Whether or not your character wears this armor is up to you! :)
wolf1992
Member for 3 years

Postby TemplarWarden on Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:24 am

This looks awesome, and I cannot help myself but join. I must say many parts of your whole setting are not particularly original. Global wipeout by nuclear war, that has been around since Cuba. Small sanctuaries, also common. The development of superpowers, uncommon but I've seen that before. Yet when you bring it all together you get a masterpiece, I congratulate you both.

I was listening to this as I read through your introduction and the like I a sort of spazzed at the combined awesomeness.
The Spice Melange occurs on only one planet in the entire universe.
The Planet Arrakis, also known as Dune.
He who controls Arrakis, controls the Spice. He who controls the Spice, controls the universe.

Omnomnomnom
TemplarWarden
Member for 6 years

Postby Crooked Thoughts on Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:06 am

@wolf1992: No problem, I mainly create my own roleplays and I know mistakes can sometimes make you feel embarrassed a bit, so I figured I would help.

Anyway, I would like to submit a character and reserve the Commander of the Red Lances if possible.

1. Which reminds me, will be accepting on a first come first serve or who is better qualified, type thing?

2. Also a question on weapons, would it be safe to say weapon technology is on par with Mass Effect? Their weapons aren't really energy based, they just have hi-tech ways of dispensing the bullets.

3. Would be possible to dual wield a sword and gun?

4. How will combat go?

5. Will the actual roleplay be a good mixture of combat and story, or mainly more of the other?

6. You say you must be able to post at a decent rate, what does this mean? Because I consider myself a slow roleplay and think that each and every post should cater to moving the story further. I typically don't think I reply should be required until a day or two after your post, depending on how fast others reply and if the roleplay hasn't just begun.

I ask this because fast moving roleplays are a deal breaker for me. I just refuse to try and keep up, especially when the IC is being bombed with conversation post. While that is needed, I think it will be more fluent and flow better when it is pre-scripted and the whole conversation is added in one post or even a separate thread.

...I have a few other questions, but for now I will just work on my character and wait for the reply to these few.
Crooked Thoughts
Member for 5 years

Postby wolf1992 on Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:25 am

ÆSIR Society wrote:@wolf1992: No problem, I mainly create my own roleplays and I know mistakes can sometimes make you feel embarrassed a bit, so I figured I would help.

Anyway, I would like to submit a character and reserve the Commander of the Red Lances if possible.

1. Which reminds me, will be accepting on a first come first serve or who is better qualified, type thing?

2. Also a question on weapons, would it be safe to say weapon technology is on par with Mass Effect? Their weapons aren't really energy based, they just have hi-tech ways of dispensing the bullets.

3. Would be possible to dual wield a sword and gun?

4. How will combat go?

5. Will the actual roleplay be a good mixture of combat and story, or mainly more of the other?

6. You say you must be able to post at a decent rate, what does this mean? Because I consider myself a slow roleplay and think that each and every post should cater to moving the story further. I typically don't think I reply should be required until a day or two after your post, depending on how fast others reply and if the roleplay hasn't just begun.

I ask this because fast moving roleplays are a deal breaker for me. I just refuse to try and keep up, especially when the IC is being bombed with conversation post. While that is needed, I think it will be more fluent and flow better when it is pre-scripted and the whole conversation is added in one post or even a separate thread.

...I have a few other questions, but for now I will just work on my character and wait for the reply to these few.

1) I guess it will be a first come first served thing. I'm not quite sure how we should handle a "qualification system" for it. However, we'd like to see those taking on officer roles to commit them to these roles.

2) Ehm, I'd say no to that question. While the weapons would be much alike (still firing bullets) Mass Effect uses mass accelerators as well as almost light speed velocities to propel the bullets. Given our "realistic" setting I'd say that weapons are much more alike the weapons of modern day Earth. I have already finished up a chapter about this for the roleplay (because people asked about it), but blackwolt is the only one who can edit the roleplay. Therefore, I will have to wait until he is able to put it up.

3) I see no problem in dual wielding a sword and gun as long as your character belongs to either of the two schools. (Focuses on one part of the setup). Just remember that while the setup is fairly interesting, it could also turn out quite over powered unless you restrict it in some way (usually, dual wield of guns decreases accuracy quite a bit, so that might be interesting).

4) I am not quite sure how I should answer this question. Are you referring to the style of combat (how it is written in the posts) or rather how the battles will be held?

5) My experience is that these types of roleplay often end up with quite a lot of focus on character interaction and story instead of combat, simply because the combat is quite hard to "simulate" through text. I'd like to see a healthy combination of them both. The participants of the roleplay play a great part in either making the story or the combat prominent.

6) I'll let blackwolt respond to this question when he has the time :) I am only familiar with roleplaying through posts and have no experience with using the chat.

Until the "lore" has been updated with weapons and armor, I will post them here:
The technological progression of mankind allowed the soldiers of the 21st century to be equipped better and better. Rifles and pistols were improved with new materials, but as the economies of the world markets threatened to collapse, further research into a new kind of warfare was abandoned in favor of keeping the soldiers of the 21st century. As the nuclear war was unleashed, the soldiers of the 24th century were not that different from the soldiers of the 21st century.

The melee and ranged soldiers of the 30th century uphold the traditions of the medieval times as well as the 2nd millennia by using equipment alike the soldiers of those periods. Melee soldiers are often clad in heavy armor, taking on the image of knights and medieval soldiers, while ranged soldiers tend to choose a medium armor suited for movement, aiming as well as concealment.

During the three last centuries as a united Earth, mankind managed to invent several carbon-reinforced metals and alloys. Carbon-reinforced titanium, often called “adamant” as a reference to the medieval term form a hard substance, is the core substance of weapons and armor, tolerating a lot of pressure and wear before breaking or bending. This makes the material very suited for the melee oriented warfare that is fought with conventional swords and armors.

Although energy weapons have seen some action in the 30th century, these weapons are not very widespread. The fear of a new nuclear war as well as straying away from the conventional society has hindered the advancement of energy weapons severely. Only ranged weapons tend to employ energy-based rounds with the purpose of stunning the enemy instead of the standard uranium-tipped ammunition.

The rifles and handguns fire bullets by sending them through a particle accelerator. The muzzle velocity of a standard 5mm bullet can with this technology reach around 2,500 meters per second. The bullets are stored in magazines as was the standard during the 21st and 22nd century, enabling the user to switch between several types of ammunition.

The force field technology of the domes has found another use in the shields of the soldiers. Simply superior to blocking metal with metal, the ‘force shields’ are capable of absorbing much of the impact force, the absorbed force strengthening their own shield and lowering the strain on the wielder. The shields nature also allows the wielder to deflect bullets, giving the defensive melee soldiers an import role on the field of battle.

Aequitas Standard Medium Armor

The illustration above shows the standard issued medium armor of the Aequitas Combat Teams. While the armor is not obligatory to wear, it offers decent protection due to its low-grade adamant shells. The individual soldier is free to fight in his or her own armor instead.
The Aequitas Combat Teams rely on their own weapons instead of an issued weapon. This allows the personalizing of one’s battle equipment.

wolf1992
Member for 3 years

Postby Artik on Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:58 am

Got hit by the storm yesterday and lost power not long after stumbling upon this amazing roleplay so I killed some time by working on my character as best I could without the recently added weapons and equipment info. I was planning on having him be a long ranged class with a few different ammunition options, not necessarily bullets more like darts with different effects. For example, sort of like a grenade launcher he could fire smoke bombs, and concussion grenades but also with more precise shots and a more sniper-ish gun I suppose, I thought it would be cool to have him be able to fire rounds that if they pierce skin can cause dizziness, or minor poisonous effects, ect - if that makes sense? xP Just want to make sure before I submit my character! If I need to clarify anything in depth just say so. :)
Artik
Member for 4 years

Postby blackwolt on Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:03 pm

As most of you surely have noticed I have updated the Introduction with a new section; Weapons and Armor. This should help those who want to know a bit more about the technology used in The League of Origins.

Leli wrote:3. Who will be controlling the NPC's (if there are any)?

Everyone can control NPC's, but there isn't any special NPC's for the time being. I love when people get creative, so do make your own NPC's through posts if you feel like it. Through battles there will be NPC's but I'd rather want people to control their battle with the NPC they are fighting, instead of another person controlling the NPC. Just keep up the realism.

ÆSIR Society wrote:Anyway, I would like to submit a character and reserve the Commander of the Red Lances if possible.

Sure reservation accepted.

ÆSIR Society wrote:6. You say you must be able to post at a decent rate, what does this mean? Because I consider myself a slow roleplay and think that each and every post should cater to moving the story further. I typically don't think I reply should be required until a day or two after your post, depending on how fast others reply and if the roleplay hasn't just begun.

I think most of your question is answered through rule 5. I will do everything I can to stop this roleplay from turning into a fast moving roleplay (Like 30 posts a day) I feel the same way as you, and I simply don't have the time to be in a fast moving roleplay.

Have you ever been in a RP where the conversation was pre-scripted? If so please show me an example, since I am not quite sure what you mean.
blackwolt
Member for 4 years

Postby TemplarWarden on Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:06 pm

Character application is completed, at least mostly. I have left the equipment section untouched because A. I shall completed it after I some sleep and B. I am awaiting the GMs' characters to provide some sort of reference other then the Weapons and Equipment sction.

I believe what Society is speaking of when he says pre-scripted conversation is having the writers of the characters involved collaborate to complete the conversation in a single post and therefore not clutter the roleplay with a large number of smaller posts as part of a conversation.
TemplarWarden
Member for 6 years

Postby Leli on Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:55 pm

Blackwolt a pre scripted roleplay post is, from my experience, when two people PM each other back and forth with what are essentially post so they can see what the other persons reactions would be to their characters words or actions. These numerous posts are then combined into one for each person and is then posted IC as a 3000 character post instead of 30 100 character posts.

Can I use a forcefield as a weapon? Also, dibs being Soc's bitch~ It's my favourite place to be (even though I was here first).
Leli
Member for 3 years

Postby blackwolt on Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:04 pm

I will let the decision whether or not we are going to use pre-scripting roleplay posts, for everyone to decide. I myself thinks it's a good idea.

For your question about using a forcefield as a weapon Leli. I will have you to go into more detail about your idea, before I can decide on it. A forcefield can mean many things in a science fiction RP.

Sorry Artik I must have overseen your post. I like your idea, but remember that the bullet precision needs to be realistic.
blackwolt
Member for 4 years

Next

Post a reply

RolePlayGateway is a site built by a couple roleplayers who wanted to give a little something back to the roleplay community. The site has no intention of earning any profit, and is paid for out of their own pockets.

If you appreciate what they do, feel free to donate your spare change to help feed them on the weekends. After selecting the amount you want to donate from the menu, you can continue by clicking on PayPal logo.