Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

The ULTIMATE guide to Dragons and roleplaying as them...

a topic in The Library, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Scholars

An organized archive of roleplaying guides, including step-by-step, how-to, and general essays on theory.

The ULTIMATE guide to Dragons and roleplaying as them...

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Arietraekos on Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:24 pm

Hello Again; Riikano here, this is my first Help guide so if anybody has any suggestions i may choose to add them...

As most of you know (if you've been on this site ever since July of 08) I am riikano-alinaris, the (First) local dragon to RPG and i have given many tips and helpful guides to people who nicely ask for the origins of dragons. But for once i feel like being generous and I'm giving my Draconic guide out to the Gateway!

This guide isn't simply for my freinds... it is for people who have tried and just can't fully understand the abilities of such fantastic creatures... Many people try to utilize dragons in rp's and many of them either over exagerate them untill they are walking gods, or they basically make them animals, they are neither in full but they are rather in the middle...

Table Of contents:

Naming:
Size:
Elemental Properties:
Where they are located: (Based on Element)

Naming

Just because a dragon is an animalistic beast, they have the intelligence to understand the importance of names. In this sense, Most Dragons are named at Birth, but this is just a temporary name. After Dragons hit their juvenile life stage, most will have a vision showing them their importance in life, along with their acheivments and failures. In this Vision a dragon's true name is revealed.

For Example, if at Birth an Earth Sanction Dragon is named Teraz, or something similar to the genre of Earth this name would stay with the dragon untill it had it's vision. If the Dragon's life was one of a warriors, constantly training for battle with little to no interruption. His name would resemble that of a warrior, Brawny, bulky, and tough. Iksetkzerik would be be an example, large, bulky, and tough.... to pronounce. But yet something an enemy or ally would remember, either known to strike fear or to bring relief.

Another Example, if at birth water sanction dragon is named Aqulea, or something to resemble the word water, it would stay till it had it's vision. If the dragon's life was peaceful and quiet, or involved many years of studying and the practice of the arcane arts. His or her name would be smooth, not all that difficult to pronounce, and rolled right off the tongue. Sluzeraz is a decent example, easy to say, not hard to read, and easy to remember.

a final example would be that if a dragon from thew lightning sanction, was born with the name Spalax, and the dragon was a musician or bard, or just overall was talkative and maybe even a diplomat, His or her name would be witty and humorous, or if a diplomat, something that was extremely original and eveyone could remember. A good example would be Zarzlezex which is quite a tongue twister if forced to say it several times quickly.

Size

Tiny: Something that is something near the size of a young house cat, (only hatchlings are of this size.)

Medium: Around the height of a man

Large: 10 ft-15 ft

Huge: as big as a house (Must be an adult)

Colossal: size of a 2 story house (Must be Ancient)

Gargantuan: Size of a small mountain: (Must be a Great Wyrm)

Titanic: Larger than 1000 ft. tall and 3000 feet long. (only accesible to draconic Gods)

In terms of age, humans prime is inm there adult years, as it is as well with Dragons, but as dragons get older they become larger and more powerful, where we on the other hand wither out and falter. Even after becoming a great Wyrm a dragon can live much longer after the acheivement...

0-11... Hatchling, recently born

12-24.. Very Young, equivalent to a toddler in human terms

25-40.. Young, equivalent to an elementary school child

41-64.. Juvenile, equivalent to a jr/sr. High student

65-99.. Adult, self explanatory

100-400... Mature Adult, around 50 in our age

401-600 ...Old, around 60 in our age

601-800... Very Old, 70 in our age

801-1000... Ancient, 80 in our age

1001-1200... Wyrm, around 90 in our age

1201+... Great Wyrm, 100 or older

Magic

A field as vast as dragons themselves... if i were to explain every little detail of draconic magic, i would be about 7 years older... so i will give all the most necessary information.... any other questions can be asked by P.M...

While in the fantasy mindsd of humans, where magic is aquired by years of study and complete dovotion to arcane gods, dragons however are basically born with the ability. Most spells that humans are known to use are actually watered down versions that dragons themselves have created nearly a milennea ago. Dragons have a very special ability, that actually is known to put there others to shame. They are able to create spells, while humans can only utilize them. there language, which is known as draconic, seems to be a direct link to magic itself, when a dragon utters a newly made spell it is instantly given effect and a much more watered down version is available to humans. Humans who know draconic cannot create new spells however, only purebred dragons own the feat.

Several spells and magical abilities available to dragons that are commonly utilized include...

Under-Water Breathing: unless the dragon is a water or poison type, a dragon must utilize this spell if he or she wishesm to be able to stay under water for excessive periods of time without drowning.

Rock Shaping: a special spell utilized to allow a dragon to excate bare stone and rock with it's mind, it allows them to bury holes, to expand lairs and to trap prey.

Darkness: With a dragon's heightened senses, a dragon can see a little to no light compared to most creatures which require a hefty amount. often used to trap prey.

PolyMorph: A spell that allows a dragon to change it's physical appearnace for a limited amount of time.

Elemental Properties

The ability to breath fire, ice, lightning, and many others all comes from the dragons elemental core, it also allows dragons to live in harsh considtions in nature that correspond with it's element. and certain elements give dragons specific magical abilities...
A dragons color also is an easy way to reflect it's element. Although mistaking a dragons element can be a serious mistake in battle as well as a major insult to the dragon, considering that certain species completely detest one another

red=fire
(Don't confuse)
mahoghany=Magma

Ice=sky blue
(Don't confuse)
Blue= Water

Green=Earth
(Don't confuse)
Brown=Sand

Purple=Poison

Yellow=Lightning

Grey=Steel
(Don't confuse)
Wind=White

Locations

Just like elemental type is matched with color, elemental type is also matched with a dragons territory.

Volcanoes=Fire and Magma dragons

Beaches, lakes, oceans = Water dragons

Forest= Earth, and wind dragons

Deserts, wastelands, graveyards, mountains= Lightning, Desert and steel dragons

sewers= Poison dragons

Glaciers, ICE mountains= Ice dragons

I hope this guide will help people in terms of roleplaying with dragons. I also hope it will allow people to more understand the fantasy creatures. I also hope that it may help all those who need it. ENJOY!

~Riikano~Alinaris~
The original local RPG dragon

~Note~ I do understand that they are fantasy creatures, They are as free as the human mind, i'm just giving a helpful guide for those who need a place to start, if anybody would like me too add and or remove something just send me a P.M. And most of all do not criticize me for making this, this is to help people, not make me look like a Shut in with no life.
Last edited by Arietraekos on Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Arietraekos
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: The ULTIMATE guide to Dragons and roleplaying as them...

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Safisan on Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:36 pm

You don't look like a shut in at all! Or perhaps I too, am one. The point of this post however, is that this is a fascinating read - though I'll admit anybody could come up with the concept of elements and territory, or even aging guidelines, you've done a simple, yet sweet way of it. Which is of course, perfect for a guide aimed at rookies! I'll certainly hold this as a reference when looking into the now deeper creatures. May I suggest you run a spell check though? I found a few quirks in there. Bravo indeed, Riikano. I personally preferred what you typed on magic, didn't see it coming. *Moves banner reading 'Go Riikano' around*

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Safisan
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alias on Mon May 18, 2009 5:02 pm

A nice guide Riikano~Alinaris, as it certainly gives a good backbone to the use of dragons in roleplays!

You said to PM you to add things, but this might be more of a discussion concept: How does draconic logic differ from that of humans? In my limited experience, dragons are roleplayed either like human elementary school kids with pixie sticks, running around being raucous and playful; or as old and wizened, carrying one of the human emotions like a marker on their forehead (anger, wisdom, etc).

Should we continue to roleplay their words, actions, and thoughts as though they were humans inside of a scale shell, or are there key differences between the way that humans and dragons think? And, cultural biases may play a role in the decision making process for dragons just as they do for humans, but what exactly are those cultural biases for dragons? What is taboo for them, as compared to the sort of things that are taboo for humans?

Alias
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Arietraekos on Mon May 18, 2009 5:37 pm

Honestly that a fantastic question, and i will update this guide to fit them. And thank you for the compliment!

Arietraekos
Member for 16 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!