Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat โ€” the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

Trigger warnings in roleplay

a topic in Game Design Workshop, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: Ambassadors, Scholars

A forum for discussions about the general design of RPG systems and techniques for building good roleplaying games.

Trigger warnings in roleplay

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ylanne on Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:29 pm

Before this turns into a massive flame war over whether trigger warnings are a form of censorship or infantilization (when used for their intended purpose, they're not), I'm going to link briefly to an article by the fantastic queer and disabled activist/writer s.e. smith that really takes apart those misconceptions of trigger warnings. The article is entitled "On the Difference Between Trigger Warnings and Content Notes, and How Harm Reduction is Getting Lost in the Confusion." Ou writes very eloquently about the purpose of trigger warnings and content notes, which is basically to give a heads-up about content that could trigger a panic attack/anxiety attack/PTSD attack/phobia/etc. that might otherwise have come as a surprise after clicking through to something.

To the point, however -- I've recently started using trigger warnings for certain content in my thread-based roleplays when the nature of a scene wouldn't necessarily be obvious to an outside reader (or new member of the roleplay) wandering in. Typically, I'll flag posts that contain somewhat to very detailed descriptions of activities or topics that could reasonably be expected to cause flashbacks/anxiety attacks/PTSD attacks/etc. in certain groups of people. For example, a post containing detailed descriptions of sexual violence (notwithstanding my understanding that on this site, our rules on permissible content might preclude certain types of descriptions in posts) should be flagged at the front for that content in order to give advanced notice to readers who may not feel ready or comfortable or safe reading that at the moment a chance to step back and return another time (or never) -- or to brace themselves before going in.

As a roleplayer and a frequent former GM, I have to balance a basic principle of needing to respect my co-roleplayers (including their access needs) and the ideal of not breaking character unnecessarily. For those who also wonder whether content notes on at least some content in roleplay should be included, how would you propose minimally disrupting the roleplay while also preventing unnecessary harm?
โ€‹โ€œAnother world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing.โ€
โ€• Arundhati Roy

โ€œThe only way to survive is to take care of each other.โ€
โ€• Grace Lee Boggs

โ€œevery day is another chance to practice living out the values that matter most to us. to be our best selves. to be the legacy we want to leave.โ€
โ€• Mia Mingus

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Ylanne
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Storyteller Beta Tester Builder Cult Leader Concierge Tipworthy Donated! Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Re: Trigger warnings in roleplay

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Solo Wing Pixy on Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:08 am

I had to read and re-read the article several times because I couldn't figure out what about it was supposed to be eloquent about it. In the end I gave up and am now trying to formulate a coherent response.

The article was unnecessarily long for the number of points it made, those being A, There's a vast difference between trigger warnings and content notes, and lots of people are confusing the two and failing to see the purpose behind them; B, neither are censorship, content creators need to, "ask themselves why it's so important for them to maintain the 'purity' of their art over their potential audiences."

Quoting the article, here's the difference between trigger warnings and content notes:

"Trigger warnings were originally implemented with a very specific and very clear function: to tag content that contained traumatic material for the benefit of people who experience panic attacks, PTSD flashbacks, and other responses to such material ... Which would allow them to decide whether they wanted to consume a given piece of media, or would allow them to prepare for something that might be traumatic."

"Content notes ... were implemented as a ... way to provide information about the contents of something to allow people to decide if they wanted to engage with it."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only difference between the two is whether or not the content within has the potential to cause trauma, that all trigger warnings are content notes, but not all content notes are trigger warnings? Again, feel free to enlighten me, but I fail to see the importance of trigger warnings as defined when content notes as defined accomplish the same exact goal. It seems to me that content notes are the exact same thing but in a broader sense. I must be confusing the two then, because why bother to include a trigger warning when content notes would do?

If content notes don't provide a warning about the content equivalent to what one would get from a trigger warning, then why bother with content notes? Books, movies, and video games all have adequate descriptions about what they contain. There are rating systems in place to tell you what you can expect from them. If a back cover description or a movie rating can't adequately warn you about content within, then why even bother with content notes that, "provide information about the contents of something to allow people to decide if they wanted to engage with it." That's the entire purpose of ratings and synopses, to provide information about content within.

So trigger warnings do the same thing as content notes, albeit to a more specific degree, and content notes do the same thing as a rating or synopsis. If this is true, then why do we need trigger warnings on media that already has an adequate system for it? Why should a game rated M for blood, gore, intense violence, sexual content, strong language, and use of drugs need a trigger warning reading, "TW: This title depicts the use of illicit drugs"? With that sort of rating, must you really be warned away from it if you know you are sensitive to anything on that list?

Don't get me wrong, I'm aware that triggers are a real issue and that they vary wildly and unpredictably. However, the article specifically says, "Trigger warnings aren't designed to protect people from content they don't want to see because it would harm their delicate little snowflake sensibilities. They are designed to help people manage their interactions with the world so they can function." Triggers are too varied for it to be feasible to list all potential triggers before each movie or game. I've seen people complain that The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo movie needed a trigger warning before it, which is ludicrous, because it's MPAA rating is R for brutal violent content including rape and torture, strong sexuality, graphic nudity, and language. Those people either knew the rating and continued anyway, in which case they have no right to complain, or they didn't see the rating, in which case they are at fault for not fully understanding what they were getting into. Ratings and synopses exist to give people an idea of what they're getting into, everything else is up to them. No other warnings are necessary.

Now, I said necessary because I think that ratings and synopses are necessary. I never watch a movie without knowing it's rating first. I never read a book without first figuring out what it's about. If you do, you're setting yourself up for a traumatic or uncomfortable situation eventually, especially if you read or watch or play anything intended for people older than 13. That said, I think it's perfectly fine if a content creator wants to preface their work with an additional warning. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 contains a mission in which you are part of a massacre of civilians in an airport. The game was rated M for Blood, Drug Reference, Intense Violence, Language, and I think that is enough. However, the developers included an in game warning about the above mission and an option to skip it, should you wish, which I also think is okay. What is not okay, and this brings about my second point, is if they were forced to include that choice.

The second point of the article is that neither trigger warnings nor content notes are forms of censorship, and then goes on to say that content creators should, "ask themselves why it's so important for them to maintain the 'purity' of their art over their potential audiences." Purity of art is the entire purpose of art! Freedom of creativity is the whole reason why we create! As a content creator, it's not my job to control the experiences of my audience. I'm under no responsibility to warn anyone what my content may or may not contain, and I shouldn't be. Trigger warnings are not censorship, but only if they are used willingly and without coercion by the content creator. The minute it becomes mandatory is the minute it becomes censorship.

I'm not saying the article is advocating mandatory trigger warnings; it's actually very careful to avoid doing just that. It's making a moral argument for them by using phrases like, "So you want to make people uncomfortable with your work -- but do you want to actively harm people with it?" However, that's where the argument falls apart. No, I don't want to actively harm somebody with my work, therefor I'll put a trigger warning in front of it. Thus, a trigger warning is a way to prevent or mitigate harm. Not only does this conflict with what the author said earlier, "Trigger warnings aren't designed to protect people from content they don't want to see," but it's also both harmful in itself and also incredibly condescending. If you go around putting a warning in front of all your work, you reinforce a victim mentality. If you treat everyone like their a delicate flower that will break at the slightest wind, they will start to think the same way. I don't even need to mention how harmful this can to women when it reinforces the unjust message that they receive all their lives, that they are inherently fragile and require protection. Trigger warnings intended to protect women or minorities or those with mental illnesses contributes to the perception that members of those groups are weak, or somehow "other". Traumas that impact women, minorities, LGBT people, and the mentally ill are set apart as different, as particularly traumatizing, and trigger warnings for such traumas imply that their experiences are so strange that works dealing with attacks against them have to be viewed with an inordinate amount of caution.

Secondly, if a trigger warning is a way to prevent or mitigate harm by enabling someone to avoid a triggering thought or image, it's actively undermining that person's ability to recover effectively from whatever traumatic event they experienced. Confronting triggers, not avoiding them, is the best way to recover from a traumatic experience. This study by the Institute of Medicine details how, in patients suffering from PTSD, especially resulting from traumas such as sexual assault, exposure therapy is the most efficacious treatment. Clients who practice confronting progressively more challenging trigger situations come to realize that their fear subsides, and find their PTSD alleviated. In addition, having trauma become central to one's sense of identity is harmful to your mental health. This study published in the Journal of Traumatic Stress indicates that, "among 102 women who reported histories of childhood sexual abuse, the more central their abuse was to their identity, the worse their PTSD symptoms.

Regarding the topic of this thread, I do not think trigger warnings on roleplays are necessary. I feel that the tag system, and the role play description tab are adequate enough, and if they are not, it is the players responsibility to ask the GM for further information. That said, any GM is and should be free to use them at their own discretion in their own roleplay, and any player is and should be free to put them on their own posts. In fact, I even see the appeal for them in roleplays because there is no standardized system of ratings beyond the "adult" tag. Still, I fail to see the need to put a big warning in front of it if you've adequately described the roleplay in it's description tab. And if the roleplay is of the sort that accommodates potentially triggering posts without being potentially triggering itself, such that you'd need to tag individual posts as potentially triggering, then you haven't described the roleplay limits well enough. Before any posting even begins, the content limits set by the gm should be established. If someone is reading or participating in a roleplay that describes itself as "PG-13", there shouldn't be any posts depicting graphic violence or intense swearing. On the other hand, in a roleplay that describes itself as mature, and carries the "adult" tag, one should expect those things, and no per post warning is necessary. Like with books and movies, the GM of a roleplay has the responsibility to accurately describe his creation, but beyond that, warnings aren't needed. Each player has the responsibility to only join roleplays that they are comfortable with, as well as all the responsibilities of determining if a roleplay is or isn't okay with them.

Like I said, If you want to issue trigger warnings in roleplays, that's your prerogative. Just don't expect me to do it in mine, and don't get mad at me when I don't.

Whew, monster post. Sorry, I have a strong opinion on this subject.
We drink to him as comrade must
But it's still the same old story
A coward goes from dust to dust
A hero from dust to glory.

Modesty wrote:Where originality comes in is finding new ways to explore the things that already exist to us. Suddenly red becomes crimson, ruby, scarlet, cherry, carnelian, vermilion, cardinal, sienna, maroon, sorrel, rojo, sanguine. Suddenly red can become a metaphor, a picture, a symbol.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Solo Wing Pixy
Member for 15 years
Contributor Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MartianJusticiar on Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:55 am

Solo Wing Pixy -- a survivor/victim/person with PTSD is in the best place to decide where they are in their healing process, whether they can handle confronting (things associated with) their trauma, and in what form. They have no obligation, to themselves or to anyone else, to recover at a certain pace or in a given way, or even at all. Furthermore, trigger warnings are not condescending as they do not say "Oh, no no no, you CAN'T read this, you poor delicate little thing, or you might break... here, we'll make sure you don't, for your own good" -- they are respectful in that they allow an individual person to make an informed decision based on their own circumstances as to whether to head into something that may cause an anxiety and/or trauma-based response, and at what time. Someone may, for instance, decide to read or watch something triggering because either the specific subject matter is important for them to grapple with or because they like the overall content enough to try to soldier through, but not want to do so on their commute on public transportation, so as not to deal with the added stress of trying to suppress a panic attack, self-injurious impulses, or crying in public.

Also, unfortunately us disabled, queer, and other marginalized people have already been "othered," which is often the thing that has caused trauma and the need for trigger warnings in the first place. Pretending that there's no impact of that, that we're all the same and that recognizing that there are differences based on social divisions that have existed all our lives is only making things worse, cannot successfully will those differences away. And it's really no skin off the back of a particular member of a marginalized group that doesn't have a particular trigger to have a warning there for other members of that group. For instance, most ableist language is not particularly triggering for me, but I know enough other disabled people who ARE triggered by it based on how that language has been used to dehumanize them in particular to understand that it is important regardless of its (lack of) impact on me.

--

As far as the question in the OP goes... the vast majority of my roleplaying has been in one-on-one or very small group settings. Partially because we weren't aware of them as a thing, and partially because it was usually a group of us who knew each other pretty well already, most of the roleplays I've been in haven't involved explicit trigger warnings. In those settings, I've felt it has been more important, to the extent possible, to pay attention to "in character" cues of the other players. If their style of writing changes dramatically in a stressful scene, or if a character that you know a player strongly identifies with is being particularly vehement in objecting to something in a way beyond what that character normally would, you might want to check in with that roleplayer out of character (and, if it's a group roleplay, possibly out of the general group setting) to see if they're okay.

I would also imagine that small group or one-on-one settings allow for more flexibility with the firmness of continuity than do larger group roleplays... I've had at least one roleplaying partner ask me if we could redo a scene or backtrack because (the implications of) what had just happened really disturbed her but she hadn't been able to say so in the moment. Additionally, while I've never seen it done, I've also heard of roleplayers (and not just in the context of sex or kink roleplays) having a "safe word" to signal that a roleplay or a scene needs to end or be temporarily suspended.

Formal/explicit trigger warnings can be incorporated in 1x1 or small group roleplaying and I've seen it done -- especially with newer partners when you don't necessarily know their limits or their style of responding to stress. Still, especially because not every trigger is a common one, or because sometimes it's not so much the content as how it's addressed, they may be more or less useful depending on the circumstance and the people involved, and they're almost necessarily only a part of running or participating in a roleplay that people feel comfortable participating in.
"Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you." -Tyrion Lannister, A Song of Ice and Fire

"We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." -Elie Wiesel

MartianJusticiar
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Solo Wing Pixy on Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:02 pm

MartianJusticiar wrote:Solo Wing Pixy -- a survivor/victim/person with PTSD is in the best place to decide where they are in their healing process, whether they can handle confronting (things associated with) their trauma, and in what form. They have no obligation, to themselves or to anyone else, to recover at a certain pace or in a given way, or even at all.

As someone who has overcome clinically diagnosed depression, and as someone who has been diagnosed with ASPD, I can tell you that I am not and was not in the position to be making judgement calls when it comes to my own treatment. I'm not a medical professional, so I sought medical professionals to provide evidence based medical treatment. Anyone who thinks that they can just "soldier through" any sort of mental issue is setting themselves up for failure. Don't complain about when people trigger your issues if you're not actively seeking real help for them. It's unfair to expect others to accommodate you if you're unwilling to take the steps yourself. As for obligation to recover, I think everyone has that obligation. We owe it to ourselves and to society to be the best we can be, and it's incredibly selfish to expect society to bend to your sensitivities for the rest of your life while you decide that you'll just never recover.

Additionally, it's not merely my opinion we're talking about here. As I've linked in my previous post, taking active steps toward recovery is good for your health, and maintaining a "victim" or even "survivor" attitude, in which your trauma takes center stage for your identity, actually worsens your condition(Not to mention identifying as a "victim" gives power to the oppressor. By identifying as such, the oppressor has already succeeded). You can't expect people to give you special warning while refusing to get better.

MartianJusticiar wrote:Furthermore, trigger warnings are not condescending as they do not say "Oh, no no no, you CAN'T read this, you poor delicate little thing, or you might break... here, we'll make sure you don't, for your own good"
They are condescending, maybe not to you, and maybe not to many, but to me, which is why I don't like them. I once had someone, who knew of my depression, say to me, "I know you've suffered from depression and I just want to let you know that what I'm about to talk about deals with that and I don't want you to feel uncomfortable." I know that what he said came from a place of honest care, but all I hear is, "I'm about to talk about depression and I think that you're not mentally prepared to hear it, so I'm giving you a heads up to cover your ears." The last time someone told me to cover my ears because I wasn't prepared to hear what they had to say, I was seven. That is how you speak to a child. I'm not a child and I don't deserve to be talked to like one. If you don't find it condescending, that's fine, but I do. I see it as my responsibility to make sure other people don't feel the same way.

MartianJusticiar wrote:They are respectful in that they allow an individual person to make an informed decision based on their own circumstances as to whether to head into something that may cause an anxiety and/or trauma-based response, and at what time. Someone may, for instance, decide to read or watch something triggering because either the specific subject matter is important for them to grapple with or because they like the overall content enough to try to soldier through, but not want to do so on their commute on public transportation, so as not to deal with the added stress of trying to suppress a panic attack, self-injurious impulses, or crying in public.

That's what ratings and synopses are for. If you get triggered by the rape scene in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo movie, it's either your fault for watching despite knowing the rating, or your fault for not properly knowing the rating. Sure, there is content that doesn't have a rating or a synopsis, like the internet or a magazine, but what unrated media are you consuming in public that has the potential to trigger you? Triggers are varied and unpredictable, which is precisely why you can't label them. The world will never stop being triggering, and I get that that is not the purpose of trigger warnings, but there are too many to label them all. You're bound to be triggered anyway. It's simply not feasible to put a warning on everything that could be triggering, and it's definitely not okay to try. Putting trigger warnings on things is an attempt at policing external situations instead of your internal reactions. The minute you do that, you're fighting an uphill battle. The problem is an internal one, not an external one, and it can only be solved by internal solutions, not external ones. Trigger warnings don't fix the problem, and they're not intended to. They sweep the problem under the rug, leaving you to have to deal with it later. That constant avoidance actually compounds the problem. Like I've said above and has been scientifically studied, the only way to fix the problem is to confront it. That's true with any problem. If you put off your homework day after day, it compounds and only gets harder to finish.

The reason why trigger warnings and avoiding your problems simply compound the problem has to do with a part of your brain called the amygdala. The amygdala is the "fear" portion of your brain. It sends out unpleasant signals like pain that cause you to change your behavior. When you avoid confrontation, your amygdala doesn't need to do as much work, and becomes atrophied, to the point that it becomes easier and easier to trigger a traumatic reaction. The opposite is true as well. Like any muscle, the more you use the amygdala, the easier it is to face frightful situations. The less unpleasantness you face, the less it takes to traumatize you, and vice versa. Again, this is not my opinion. That is simply how the brain works.

MartianJusticiar wrote:Also, unfortunately us disabled, queer, and other marginalized people have already been "othered," which is often the thing that has caused trauma and the need for trigger warnings in the first place. Pretending that there's no impact of that, that we're all the same and that recognizing that there are differences based on social divisions that have existed all our lives is only making things worse, cannot successfully will those differences away. And it's really no skin off the back of a particular member of a marginalized group that doesn't have a particular trigger to have a warning there for other members of that group. For instance, most ableist language is not particularly triggering for me, but I know enough other disabled people who ARE triggered by it based on how that language has been used to dehumanize them in particular to understand that it is important regardless of its (lack of) impact on me.

Of course minorities and marginalized groups have been "othered", but trigger warnings reinforce that idea. They say that you're "special" and thus need a "special warning" on certain topics they don't think you can handle. For example, a disabled person says she can do my job the same as I can. Fine, in fact, I'm inclined to agree. I think she can do it. But then she says she needs extra assistance with something. Okay now she's not doing the job the same as I can. If you want to stop being "othered" than you have to stop asking to be treated like an "other". If you say to someone, "I need you to put a warning in front of that so that me or people like me aren't inadvertently triggered." Then you are automatically placing yourself as negatively different from someone who doesn't need that warning. Not only does this make it harder for you to find a job or participate in certain activities because you require special accommodation, but it actively contributes to a negative self image, which in turn contributes to all sorts of nasty things. Weakness is a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you view yourself as weak, then you are. Like I said before, you have no right to complain if you aren't working on fixing the problem.

Of course there are real differences between people, but those are things that should be overcome, not mitigated and swept under the rug. You can't make the problem go away just by hiding it with a trigger warning. It's still there, and it will stay there until you turn around and face it.

While doing my research I came across a comment along the lines of, "By not posting trigger warnings, you've taken away my choice to say no to reading something...you're controlling whether or not someone reads your article."

Must I even explain how wrong this is? I understand that this is an extreme example, but come on! No one forced you to read anything. It was 100% your choice and no one but you is responsible for that choice. Ughh, That sort of willful ignorance and blame passing irks me to no end.

Another point on roleplaying: I totally agree that everyone should feel safe and comfortable in that setting, but it's not my responsibility as GM to ensure that. If someone is harassing you, then it becomes my responsibility, but if you are uncomfortable with content in a roleplay that(hopefully has been adequately described) you willing joined or read, then that is your responsibility. As much as I hate to sound Randian, your feelings are not my responsibility. I'm responsible for my own thoughts and actions, end of story.

Solo Wing Pixy
Member for 15 years
Contributor Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MartianJusticiar on Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:34 pm

Having baggage, support and accommodation needs, or things that you just can't do isn't an indication of any kind of weakness or failure of character. In fact, to have all those things and try to make it work, knowing that not only might you fail, but by other people's observation you may be seen to not even have tried at all because of what you were dealing with requires immense strength. And if you can keep your compassion for other people after coming through hell, and at least be willing to not let them be harmed if not actually make things better than them, and not allow yourself the filters that tell you that it's not your concern or even that other people don't deserve support... that seems a lot stronger to me than bootstrapping it and expecting others to follow suit. If you don't want people to trigger warn things for you, that's fine. But to, if not use trigger warnings per se, then at least watch out for and be supportive of people around you costs almost nothing, and can make a big deal for the person on the other end of the interaction. So why not do it?

MartianJusticiar
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Solo Wing Pixy on Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:21 am

They though, is trying to make it work, trying to get better. It's easy to accept something and ask others to conform to you. It's hard to face your problems and overcome them.

I agree that people should be compassionate and supporting of others, but for reasons I've layed out above, I don't think that entails trigger warnings. By default, someone else's feelings are not my responsibility. However, their well being is. It always is, even if I don't know you. From the studies I've read and the research I've done into the topic, I've come to the conclusion that the most compassionate thing to do would be to encourage someone to seek the actual help they need, not encourage them to suppress their problem. So, even if someone gets angry at me for that, I'm okay with that because I know I'm doing what I know to be right.

Someone's feelings are less important than their well being.

Solo Wing Pixy
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kestrel on Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:47 am

When we are talking trigger warnings, I do want to make clear we're talking sincere and serious trauma. Not THIS MAKES ME ANGRY trigger warnings you see on tumblr and shit.

Art is a reflection of reality and reality can be a pretty dark place. Art moreso. Now, to call roleplaying art would hugely depend on how you would define it further, but I'd like to compare this to movies or TV-shows (where art is also kinda iffy a term but stay with me.) Usually when you describe a show's premise, you have to spoil a little of it to get someone interested, meaning you don't go into it with a completely open mind anymore. Rather than a moment of surprise when Jason comes around with a chainsaw, because you knew it was horror you have been waiting for a moment like that. By creating expectations about the media, it will lose some of it's power, or maybe even valuable tools.

Now, you don't join an RP knowing absolutely nothing about it, like you could rent a movie purely based on a recommendation of a friend's. However, if you have a friendly neighbour who is a little awkward socially, but otherwise seemingly calm and decent, you can really connect a bunch of strange events and conversations by driving the point home that he's actually obsessive and crazy all along with a scene of sexual violence. Try doing the same thing with a trigger warning (or hell, ratings do that for us nowadays in a more generalised way.) People will make the connection far, far earlier, making it that much more difficult to bring out the full power of the scene.

You can't put up a trigger warning without spoiling the story. Now this spoiler may be relevant or irrelevant. I mean, if you have an RP about WW2, it won't taint the open mind by saying "trigger warning: war scenes." However, if any of your themes require build-up or Chekov's gun to expose their full effect...

So, it's a choice. Do you want a more intense experience for your main audience, or do you want to prevent a minority from re-experiencing trauma? Personally, my main goal as a writer would be engagement, which should explain my position. I try to avoid content flags where I can, unless they don't spoil anything about the experience.
Do you come from a land down under?
Where women glow and men plunder?
Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder?
You better run, you better take cover.

Kestrel
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Patcharoo on Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:30 am

I find trigger warnings as a concept to be difficult for roleplay.
How do you know what's gonna happen in it before it happens?

Of course some things are a given; you might be dealing with a gritty realistic modern war RP. But as a general rule, how can you know?

On the broader topic of trigger warnings in general I have a problem of;
Who and where do we draw the line at what is and isn't traumatic for a person? How far should we go to accommodate people? When I enter topics like this, which I try to avoid for generally blunt views, I come from a place of concern for artistic freedom. I suppose trigger warnings are fine, but I feel like no one should be pushed away from a topic out of fear they have to put a trigger warning on their RP.

Just my two cents.
Circ wrote:When I first joined RolePlayGateway, it was a place where positive conflict fostered creativity and friendships were formed rather than cliques. Honesty and transparency were valued, new people were incorporated into the community rather than judged based on what style of writing they preferred, and despite the youthfulness and zeal of the population there prevailed a reasonable degree of common sense.

Patcharoo
Legend
Legend
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Donated! Millionaire Arc Warden Beta Tester Contributor Group Theory Person of Interest Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dawn โœฉ Quixotic on Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:30 pm

In a roleplay, since it's more less closed to the people involved, it should be a simple matter of the person saying "hey, I have a problem with such and such" and it shouldn't be too much of a problem for people to be chill with that.
Much simpler than how to handle content warnings for media in general.

Some stuff, like sexual abuse, shouldn't be just tossed into a roleplay, and that's the sort of thing you should say ahead of time "hey, this roleplay might involve that sort of content".

Dawn โœฉ Quixotic
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ร‰ran on Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:35 pm

In my opinion as a GM, it's better to find out about your players before hand. Find out what will work for them and what will present serious problems for them.

Having obtained this basic set of information it's normally possible to adjust the game to the players.
H

Please excuse speeling and language errors, I'm dyslexic and have trouble with worms.

ร‰ran
Member for 9 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Qฯ…ฮตฮตฮทAะผoroฯ…s on Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:15 am

Honestly, I always ASK my fellow roleplayers before I implement something questionable.. I've never GM'd before, but it's just a general rule of thumb isn't it? When in doubt, shouldn't we just discuss it? I realize that some people do not have limits and find it hard to grasp what kind of conduct is 'questionable'...

I myself have been sexually assaulted (Note: NOT to be confused with raped), and while I do not feel the need for there to be a 'trigger warning' just because I myself have suffered, I do cringe occasionally (Think of the Game of Thrones rape scene).

In Television, I do think it should be necessary for a trigger warning to be played before a episode containing graphic rape or controversial violence (Example; killing a baby) is played. I for one like to turn away whenever a child is harmed on a series.

Roleplay? It's a little more questionable. Pirates, Vikings, roleplays with these aspects are pretty much expected to be violent or sexually abusive... Walking in one should expect dark and adult themes that could trigger someone.

Honestly I think that the GM should mention the possibility, but it should also be the recovering person's responsibility to ASK their GM's... Limits should be discussed by everyone involved, expecting the GM to take all of that responsibility is a bit much...

Though saying that, adding a trigger warning that says; "Possible sexual abuse/dark themes" does nothing to ruin a story, and if it does, I think you're story is not really a story and is more than likely just dark smut.

Qฯ…ฮตฮตฮทAะผoroฯ…s
Member for 9 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SoullessRobin on Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:33 am

If someone wants to warn others about certain content then it should be said in the rules or talked about before starting. You could put [18+] in the title/tag to warn people of adult content. You also have to realize not all victims do act the same, effected the same ect... Everyone deals with dramatic events differently. It's not really someone responsibility/obligation to warn others about possible sexual violence/abuse, it's just the decent thing to do to put somewhat of a warning down or discussed about.

If someone is sensitive to certain subjects then it's up to them to talk about it, decide whether the rp going to harm them or not. How to avoid those type of things.

For me, I like to discuss things with anyone who going to rp with me what they dislike, there limits, and such or I would put no sexual content ect..in the rules.

SoullessRobin
Member for 9 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby cl.love on Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:59 pm

I was discussing this in another thread, but a lot of roleplayers who put a rules section into their front page will include what kinds of content the roleplay would possibly include that might be triggering for certain readers. Whenever I do group roleplays I try to think of where I want the plot to go, and then figure out what kinds of scenes/content might be included in said plot, and go from there. As others have said, its also a good idea to discuss with your roleplaying partner(s) what kinds of content they're comfortable with and what kinds of content they aren't. That way, you'll have a pretty good idea of what kinds of scenes to avoid before you even start, which can prevent stress and arguments later on in the roleplaying process.
โ•ญโ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ•ฎ

Partner Search | Tumblr | ArchiveOfOurOwn
Discord

แ••( แ› )แ•—

My theme song is Iris by Goo Goo Dolls.

โ•ฐโ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ•ฏ

cl.love
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Streamwatcher Tipworthy Visual Appeal Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!