Forum rules
On topic discussion only! Be sure to post forum games in Forum Games, not here.

UGG Boots. Amazing or Cruel?

Topic Tags:

Have a subject that you'd like to debate that isn't about roleplay? This is the place.

UGG Boots. Amazing or Cruel?

Postby LALAshesang on Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:34 pm

I was having this conversation today with my friends and actually had a really good time with it, so I thought I'd bring it here because there are always such fun discussions.

UGG Boots.

Personally, I love them. I think they are the most comfortable things ever. I own two pairs. (Classic Tall, Sand and Black.) Apparently, though, there are some people who are offended by the amount of sheep killing it takes to make them. (Yes, the skins of the sheep are used, which means they have to be dead.) So I was wondering what your thoughts are?

We can be as passionate as we want. They're just shoes, insult them all you like, but let's be mature and refrain from actually insulting people. Or we can ignore, I know this isn't the type of thing normally discussed here, but I'm bored and have no homework to do.
We'd be so less fragile
If we're made from metal
And our hearts from iron
And our minds from steel.
But if we built an armor
For our tender bodies
Could we love each other?
Would we start to feel?
LALAshesang
Member for 6 years

Re: UGG Boots. Amazing or Cruel?

Postby iamsheena on Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:59 pm

They only make me think of cavemen. I have a pair of knock-off type things, which are Emus and they're aight, I guess. I wouldn't have had any boots like them because I'm not a fan of what they look like, but I got them for Christmas last year and didn't have any boots. I'm looking for new boots now, hopefully not Ugg-like. I'm not really educated in the sheep-slaughtering thing so I don't know what to say. What are the numbers like?
iamsheena
Member for 6 years

Postby LALAshesang on Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:04 pm

Well, one of my friends (he's one of those animal rights people) says it takes eight sheep to make one pair of UGGs, but I really don't buy that. My guess is it takes one sheep per pair, or maybe even one sheep for two pairs. I've been trying to find that out and haven't found anything.

But, I believe that the reason why they are so expensive is because the popularity of them has gone up so high that there aren't enough sheep to continue making them at the rate they are selling. There is more demand than supply.
LALAshesang
Member for 6 years

Postby Xersist on Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:24 pm

Well before someone start sflying of the handle that they are not animal rights safe, did she think that the sheep wear sheared off, and I know they were not killed. Which makes no since in why they would kill them, if you know what it takes to take care of sheep. The fur has to be taken care of, and if the sheep is under poor condition then the fur is gonna match the result. Also in killing you mean they are wanting leather, but i have to ask, do UUG boots have leather?

UUG boots were made in Australian, because they were cheap to make( Because sheeps are one of the big live stocks in Australian) , comfortable, and warm in the winter. Personally most Aussie's think that they are one of the worst fashion statements ideas ever, and they wore them for the comfort not the look.

Now in America it has become a phonemnome (cant spell) in which it has been stereotype as shoes for the fashion blind, and Paris Hilton and Cheap (shallow) girls. This is what I've read, and i kinda agree.

Most fashion designers fine them god awful, especially if you wear them in anything but winter wear.

But the popularity has been found souly based on celebrity idol worship, and pop culture.

Now the reason of the price, why else. Supply and Demand. Its not because the materials are cheap, its because American girls ask for them, and Aussies know just how to play the American market, and rack up the numbers. Make less shoes, raise the prince. And really they find this to be the best poop mine ever. No body except for American teens like theses shoes.

This is coming from mostly Fashion designers, Marketers, and Aussie sheep wranglers. and I really do agree with everything the say.
Last edited by Xersist on Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From the Halls of Montezuma, to the shores of Tripoli
We will fight our country's battles in air, on land and sea

First to fight for right and freedom, and to keep our honor clean
We are proud to claim the title of United States Marine
Xersist
Member for 7 years

Postby Village Alchemist on Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:31 pm

I've never heard of them (though perhaps I've seen them and didn't know it?), but then I don't even know what brand my own shoes are. I suppose I could check, since they're right here and have a logo on them, but I don't care to.

Now, on the basis that I have no idea what I'm talking about, I will say: sheep are not subject to human rights.
Village Alchemist
Member for 7 years

Postby LALAshesang on Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:36 pm

Xersist wrote:Well before someone start sflying of the handle that they are not animal rights safe, did she think that the sheep wear sheared off, and I know they were know killed. Which makes no since why they would kill them, if you know what it takes to take care of sheep. The fur has to be taken care of, and if the sheep is under poor condition then the fur is gonna match the result.

UUG boots were made in Australian, because they were cheap to make( Because sheeps are one of the big live stocks in Australian) , comfortable, and warm in the winter. Personally most Aussie's think that they are one of the worst fashion statements ideas ever, and they wore them for the comfort not the look.

Now in America it has become a phonemnome (cant spell) in which it has been stereotype as shoes for the fashion blind, and Paris Hilton and Cheap (shallow) girls. This is what I've read, and i kinda agree.

Most fashion designers fine them god awful, especially if you wear them in anything but winter wear.

But the popularity has been found souly based on celebrity idol worship, and pop culture.

Now the reason of the price, why else. Supply and Demand. Its not because the materials are cheap, its because American girls ask for them, and Aussies know just how to play the American market, and rack up the numbers. Make less shoes, raise the prince. And really they find this to be the best poop mine ever. No body except for American teens like theses shoes.

This is coming from mostly Fashion designers, Marketers, and Aussie sheep wranglers. and I really do agree with everything the say.

I'm not exactly sure what you were trying to say in the first paragraph, but I'll just reiterate that the sheep are dead before they start getting made into boots.

And I do know that the Australians consider UGG boots to be ugly, but they also eat Marmite, so fair's fair. And you're definitely right about how fashion designers consider them ugly, but a lot of things they produce are godawful and can never be worn by normal people, as well. More often than not, I don't take anything fashion designers say seriously.

I think the majority of people think UGGs are, in a word, ugly, at least the classic boots. UGG does make plenty of boots that don't look a thing like the most popular style, but they are not as popular, probably because people don't see celebrities wearing them as much, and if they do, they are not linked back to UGG because they look just like any other designer boot.

-----

As for sheep not being subject to human rights, I totally agree. It is just the way of nature. Sheep were made to be worn on my feet.
LALAshesang
Member for 6 years

Postby Mr. Riin on Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:53 pm

I take a rather farmerly view on this kind of thing, I think, which is "We already killed the thing, we might as well use all of it!". My family has never actually been farmers, but, still, it makes perfect sense to me.

No comments on the boots themselves. Never heard of them.
I brought a spoon there, once. 'Twas a good spoon...
Mr. Riin
Member for 6 years

Postby sweet_requiem on Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:06 pm

I always thought those boots looked terribly hot. They would make my feet sweat like crazy. And that would be gross. Besides the fact that they really aren't very pretty. But they have their place in the world. They do look good on select people. Just not on everyone who wears them. >>

I personally have no convictions as far as killing sheep. I mean, if they're raising the sheep specifically for that purpose, why not use it for the purpose it was brought into the world for? If we didn't use the sheep to make Ugg boots, the world would be overrun with sheep and cows that people refused to kill and eat. I mean, seriously. That is their purpose. Let them fulfill it. Kill the sucker. XD
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
sweet_requiem
Member for 6 years

Postby LALAshesang on Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:06 pm

Mr. Riin wrote:I take a rather farmerly view on this kind of thing, I think, which is "We already killed the thing, we might as well use all of it!". My family has never actually been farmers, but, still, it makes perfect sense to me.

No comments on the boots themselves. Never heard of them.

You make another good point. One of the points a lot of animal activists fail to recognize is that the sheep have already been killed in order to be eaten.
LALAshesang
Member for 6 years

Postby sweet_requiem on Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:11 pm

LALAshesang wrote:One of the points a lot of animal activists fail to recognize is that the sheep have already been killed in order to be eaten.

I've noticed that most animal rights activists fail to recognize a lot of things. Many of their arguments have such huge holes in them that you can drive a tank through them, but they argue the rest of it so passionately that they don't take time to listen to your argument, and that to me is irritating. If you're going to argue, you need to listen to the other side's opinion also. That's just arrogant and annoying. It gives animal activists a bad name.
sweet_requiem
Member for 6 years

Postby LALAshesang on Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:37 pm

True that. And I am by no means an animal hater. I have a pet dog who I adopted from a shelter. However, I know very few people who actually eat domestic dogs. Sheep, though, well, that's another matter entirely. And they're double useful because they're good for wearing also.
LALAshesang
Member for 6 years

Top quality ugg brand boots

Postby musthaveugg3 on Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:01 am

We're manufacturers of UGG boots, our product lines are as follows

:UGG Short Paisley 5831,UGG 5812 Classic Tall,UGG 5815 Classic

Tall,Ugg 5819 Classic Cardy,Ugg 5825 Classic short,UGG 5225

Ultra Short,UGG 5245 Ultra Tall,UGG 5325 Classic Sundance,UGG

5359 Nightfall Tall,UGG 5854 Mini Boot etc.We offer wholesale and

drop shipping services. If you're interested in this, pls feel free

to contact us. We offer COMPETITIVE PRICES!!!

Links and contact information removed by staff.
musthaveugg3
Member for 5 years

Postby Kronos on Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:02 pm

I'm against the usage of animal materials in lue of cheaper synthetic materials. UGG boots are nothing more than an expensive fashion statement.
Kronos
Member for 6 years

Postby TowerCorp on Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:03 am

I don't think i ever paid attention to this kind of shoes, but that's because i don't usually pay attention to what people is wearing.
I think that it's not more cruel than the meat we eat every day. meat comes from animals, and animals are killed for it. People wears clothes made out of dead animals since forever. It's a part of the human nature, for how cruel it may be.
Not that i think that animals are all born to give us food and clothes, but as long as all the sheeps in the world aren't killed just to make boots, it's ok.
(my post is probably unuseful, but that's because i don't like taking parts.)
i was really, really hoping i didn't have to state this, but i see no one actually uses the brain here, so...
i'm a foreign. english is NOT my language.
i'm just 16 years old, and i learned it alone.
so please, before rating my posts with low grades, think about how difficult is for me to rp in a language that is not my language.
TowerCorp
Member for 6 years

Postby Paprika on Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:51 pm

I have a knockoff pair, I only wear them for warmth, and comfort. Sore feet = not fun.

Couldn't really comment on whether or not they're cruel, although I doubt they are - seems only sheep fleece is used. Does anyone know if they're suede? I've seen some of the real ones and I wonder if they're suede on the outside...
anything.can.happen
Paprika
Member for 6 years

Postby vioxae on Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:44 am

I think the things are horrible. I hate 'em with a passion.

No offense, but every time I see a cute or good-looking chick, with her jeans tucked into this clod-stomper looking ugly modified moccasins, I wanna vomit. I see so many girls who are soooo pretty. Then they got Ugg Boots, and their jeans or pants tucked into the boots, like they come from freakin' Alaska. If you got cold feet, double up on socks and don't buy sneakers or shoes with holes in 'em.

Please, pleaaaase refrain from wearing Ugg Boots. These things are NOT attractive to guys. 'Least no males that I know of find these things tolerable. They're insanely stupid looking, irrational and trendy beyond all reasonable lengths. Things being trendy should have stopped at acid-washed jeans.

This is just my sincere, heartfelt opinion on the subject. I don't mean offense to anyone. But.. yeah.. these things? Blah. If you wanted to look like one of the cute Japanese girls in the little Lolita or wtf'ever modeling things.. ya should go meet God and have him make you Japanese. Do NOT wear Ugg Boots unless the ground is caked in snow and you look like a polar bear from head to toe. Otherwise, they don't look even relatively close to 'good'.

Sorry.
vioxae
Member for 5 years

Postby LittleSun1 on Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:55 pm

I have to agree(Though I'm not that against them), although I do a quite a few friends who wear them and I wouldn't tell them that. I just think it looks a little silly, like wearing snowboots for absolutely no reason. I'd much rather wear a nice pair of real boots(Though I don't have any.) than something like that.
As far as 'is it cruel', I'd have to say either no or that I don't really mind. The sheep that would supposedly be saved if there were no longer Uggs would probably be killed for something else anyway, so what's the big deal? So long as they're not being tortured or neglected while they're alive there's much bigger issues in the world than what's happening to dead sheep... Specifically ones that are born specifically to be killed. Not that I hate animals or something but, as far as I see it, that's the truth...
Because I'm Broken When I'm Lonesome
And I Don't Feel Right When You're Gone Away
~>xx<~
LITTLESUN1
LittleSun1
Member for 6 years

Postby graphicromantics on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:10 pm

Hm. Like the two people above me, I'm not too crazy about Uggs. I have several pairs of boots, but I've never worn Uggs. They look very comfortable, but they're not my thing. I mean, Uggs are fine (unless they're sequined Uggs. Those are an assault to my eyes), and they look great on some people! But they don't always work on everyone. I don't find the design of the classic Uggs very appealing, but I do understand that there are other designs. Some of those designs are actually very cute, but others I don't quite like as much. A couple of my friends wear them, and honestly, nothing's really wrong with them. As for the animal killing part- people eat mutton, and no one says anything about it. If the animals are treated ethically before they're killed, I don't see a problem with it.
Silence is the virtue of fools.

~Sir Francis Bacon
graphicromantics
Member for 2 years

Postby Modesty on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:32 pm

I own a pair, they're the best shoes I've ever had. I think they're ugly, but I don't care.

They're expensive, but well worth it. I live in Canada. Canada is cold! I've been at the point where I've been crying because my feet are so cold, but never with Uggs. I've owned the same pair for almost 3 years and they're still in great condition. Also, I have no idea if they're naturally antibacterial or what, but I don't wear socks in the warmer months (because yes, I wear them all year!) and they haven't gotten all gross or anything.

In regards to the killing of animals to create them... I personally wouldn't want to slaughter an animal, so maybe it's a double standard, but I'm fine they're made out of animal. As long as, like graphicromantics has said, they're treated ethically before they're killed then I'm fine with it. Additionally, I really hope they use as much of the animals as possible. IE; Meat for eating, organs / bones for dog food, skin for boots, fur for wool. It's be the most profitable route for the ranchers anyways.

vioxae - Heaven forbid we don't meet your standards on fashion and beauty! Serious question: would you rather women walk around in high heels daily? Not so serious: I tell you what, if you can last one month wearing high heels so you look "sexy" and men can ogle your well rounded calves and plump behind, I'll seriously consider not wearing my winter boots outside of winter. And let me tell you, I wear heels serving for 8-10 hours 7 days a week, and all I can dream about at the end of my shift is putting on my absolutely, unparalleled in comfort Uggs! ;)
Modesty
Member for 2 years

Postby Destroyer & Creator on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:43 pm

I have no particular thought on Uggs aside from one: Why Uggs? Could they not think of a better name? The name itself makes me want to think cruel...
I am the Destroyer and Creator of worlds, you can call me DC...
Destroyer & Creator
Member for 1 years

Next

Post a reply

RolePlayGateway is a site built by a couple roleplayers who wanted to give a little something back to the roleplay community. The site has no intention of earning any profit, and is paid for out of their own pockets.

If you appreciate what they do, feel free to donate your spare change to help feed them on the weekends. After selecting the amount you want to donate from the menu, you can continue by clicking on PayPal logo.