Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

Okay, seriously.

a topic in Main Lobby, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Ambassadors

The general community forum — the Main Lobby is where announcements can be made, games can be played, and stories you can trade!

Okay, seriously.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kouketsu on Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:30 pm

Okay, I'll only say this once and make it relatively quick because I've been gone for a little while and will continue to be gone for a lot longer. It's kinda rantish, but I'd at least enjoy it if people read it and gave actual coherent thought to it. If anybody wants to, sticky it, announce it, whatever. Just as long as people will actually pay some damn attention or something.

But to put it relatively simple, for the majority of people in this community and those wanting to see it grow and succeed..

We need to pick up the pace.

And by 'pick up the pace', I don't mean work more on aesthetics, I don't mean add more cool gadgets, I don't mean tell all your friends, but what I mean is actually work and PARTICIPATE so that we can keep around those that are already here. It doesn't even have to be a lot, it really doesn't. Even just being consistently active in one or two subforums is good enough, but please, I implore you guys, DO SOMETHING.

Less than a dozen people posting consistently does not reflect well on the community, especially when the chat (Well, from when I last saw it) sees upwards of two or three times that number every single day, and there are a hell of a lot more people here. The summer's arrived and already I can see the new user influx. It's ridiculous. Two weeks not here and I come back and see a whole bunch of new threads in the welcome area and only two people, or at most three, replying to any of them. If I was a new member and came in to that kind of reception, I'd slide on out of here too. It's absolutely necessary that people feel welcomed and wanted and can actually, you know, visibly see the forum being active in more than just a couple of places. And that's just the beginning of things.

Beyond rolling out the welcome mat, a successful community requires actual participation from droves of its numbers. A few members cannot carry a community, especially one of such size, on their back alone. It's a group effort. And contrary to popular belief, starting a half-assed unplanned RP that dies in three days does NOT constitute participation, for the record. Participation is engagement beyond just roleplaying and characters.

Everybody that goes in chat, do you know why chat can thrive so well? Because communication transcends a bunch of people playing characters. Between those hours of roleplaying nightly, there's actual interaction, there are people making friends (Or sometimes enemies) and actually learning about those around them. This same idea needs to be taken and applied here on the forums for the sake of a better community as a whole.

Small communities are alright, but only when they're actual communities and not just a number of completely separate and isolated roleplays taking place between separated and isolated members that otherwise do not and will not say a word to one another, all bound together simply by being on the same forums. I only say this because I love roleplaying, I love RPGateway and the friends I've made here, and I'd really like this place to succeed.

But if during the most open time of the year, during the rush, during the time when new members will come pouring in looking for some acceptance, some hospitality, some activity, and some fun and they receive only one or the above or sometimes none of the above, there is a problem. Quit slacking, seriously. I'm not even saying to go all out and post a hundred times per day, but just a few posts here or there in a couple of forums every day or so from everybody adds up damn quick and at least makes it seem like we're trying.

What I go through and see right now though doesn't look like that at all. Sure, some people might need help in learning how to RP, but more often than not they just need help in actually knowing where to start, and it's damn hard to pick a place to do that when there's barely a flicker of life anywhere, and most places where there is are dying quick.

I only wrote this because it might be the only chance I have for a while to really get my thoughts out there on what's going on here currently, being away from chat for good and heavily involved in school and other outside programs for this summer and coming fall.

But honestly, just at least pretend to skim this or something. Eric has poured himself into this place, I've been trying and willing to do the same for as long as I've been here, and there are more out there trying to do the same, but at this rate it seems like most could really care less.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Kouketsu
Member for 18 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Person of Interest

Re: Okay, seriously.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zee All Knowing Peacock on Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:14 pm

Actually, I was just thinking that the other day. We may have a large number posted in our "total members" section, but of those who actually RP and stay active on these boards... it's pathetic. These forums are dying, but I try not to just say this. I have tried to join as many RPs and greet as many people as possible, but there is only so much 1 person can do. I thank you Kouketsu for pointing this out in my stead, for I didn't feel it was my place to point such a thing out. So please people, try and make a more conscious effort to contribute to this community which I hold so dear to myself.
"Some things are important. Others are not. Yet all would claim a mortal's attention. It falls to each of us to remain ever mindful, and thus purchase wisdom in the threading of possibilities. It is our common failing that we are guided by our indifference to eventualities. The moment pleases, the future can await consideration." - Steven Erikson's Midnight Tides

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Zee All Knowing Peacock
Member for 17 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:01 am

Without diving into too much, here's a list of things I'd like to see:

1. Moderators on Ventrilo, Teamspeak, Skype, or give the administration your phone number. We promise we won't harass you!

2. A member retention team that goes through all the welcome posts, PMs people, and asks them if they've been taken care of, offer to answer any questions, and guide them on a one-on-one tour through the site. In order to take advantage of the massive influx of members, we absolutely must be hospitable, proactive, and outgoing when trying to capture these visitors. Our SEO work should not go in vain.

3. Moderators taking leadership roles in the community. Post resource topics. Edit existing topics. Improve upon them. Append to them.

4. Active referrals. While many of us aren't the most sociable people, we still have friends. I would assume that many of our friends are roleplayers. Invite them. Show them around. Be passionate about RPGateway. We can all make new friends here, but some of the most gratifying experiences are ones that are shared with your existing friends.

5. Postage. Post often. Give your thoughts on everything. Make the attempt. Tonia has done an excellent job of this lately, creating threads that spurn activity. Keep them up, don't let them die. If you have something you'd like everyone to know, see, or participate in, take the initiative and POST IT.

Okay, so I lied... and I'll stop now. Thank you, Kou.

Edit: Some extra thoughts: More people who take initiative, like the Shotgun RP Team. More users of the RSS feed, which allows you to read all new posts as they happen, using any number of RSS readers, like Firefox, Google Reader, and shittons of others.
Alvin Toffler wrote:The illiterates of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.

Take a moment and consider joining my Patreon group, where I share personal development updates and plans for the future...

Remæus
Architect
Member for 19 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge Cult Leader Lifegiver Storyteller Donated! Anomaly Hunter Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby PunkRockinHobbit on Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:08 am

If you need someone for the member retention team, I'm in. I don't want to see this place go down. I haven't been here long, but I love it.
ImageImageImage

PunkRockinHobbit
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby miyumi on Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:32 am

Okay, when someone comes in here and says "I'm new here but not to roleplaying", I think it should be the duty of the people who welcome them to suggest at least one rp each that they can join. What do you guys think?

Also, our threads such as "Rp rules" and "profile builder"... those need to be VERY accessible. I have a hard time finding them when I'm trying to point new people in the right direction. Maybe in multiple forums? can we do that?

miyumi
Member for 19 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:05 pm

Yeah, absolutely - if we can put together, or rather revise the existing User Manual, this will at the very least give our users, and in particular our moderators, a starting place for showing other people around the site and answering questions people might have.

We need to have a "Beginner's Guide" thread, with links to that topic, as well as other resources, like Miyumi just mentioned, such as the Profile threads.

Additionally, I've slimmed down the number of topics shown per page. This should cut down on the information overload to new users.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 19 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge Cult Leader Lifegiver Storyteller Donated! Anomaly Hunter Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zee All Knowing Peacock on Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:52 pm

PunkRockinHobbit wrote:If you need someone for the member retention team, I'm in. I don't want to see this place go down. I haven't been here long, but I love it.

Ditto. I like to think I already try to do all that as much as possible, but obviously I could already do more. So, I'm in.

Zee All Knowing Peacock
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Azamiko on Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:25 am

^^; I'm sorry...(I grew up Irish Catholic-no matter how pagan I am now-so yes, I do feel personal guilt for this.) Um...The only reason I don't post more is because I'm not used to being, well, a n00b. I've been posting on the same forum for over three years, and it feels really weird to become active in a new one. (I've joined and dropped one or two in the past few years, but I really think this seems like fun, so I don't want to start off sounding n00bish.) *bows* I will try to post more...It will probably make me more comfortable, anyway.
'By any means necessary. Heh, that's when your ideals outweigh your conscience. The question is: are you willing to give up yourself--your idea of who you are, of what is right--to help other people?"

Azamiko
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aelita on Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:40 pm

I will try to participate more. Especially in the Welcomes section. I love to welcome newcomers.

Aelita
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Edge on Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:45 pm

I'm still working on having Gwing Comics- however I'll transition to make them RPGateway comics soon.
(I want to do a massive upload on the comics. So taking time to do that.)

Things have been hectic on this side, Shima is working full time- I'm working two jobs and
we're packing to move to Boston.

But! I'll try to be more visible... Oh look! -greets new member, scaring them to death-

... Well... I try... I shall not lose!

Edge
GWC Veteran
Member for 19 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kill_goregous on Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:59 pm

Yea, I've been on this site for a few days, and have started a couple of rp's and posted in some. However, there have been no responses to them. Which is sad, because other than the unactive part of the site, I really enjoy it. So far I haven't seen anything posted like "Inuyasha runs into the room, and cuts all the bad guys down, and saves Kagome, who kissess him and says Inuyasha you're so cool". We have intellegent enough posts, that i've seen we just need people to be active. Which I will be :)
"Some are lovers, some are fighters. I'm a different breed. I'm both"

Kill_goregous
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby miyumi on Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:53 am

Kill_Gorgeous,

Have you advertised in the RP Advertisements?

miyumi
Member for 19 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Azamiko on Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:48 am

*pouts* Drat, I want to finish the Academy soon...;-;

Azamiko
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kill_goregous on Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:05 pm

Yea I have, actually I'll just wait until it gets to the next page and probably advertise again, or something like that.

Kill_goregous
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Melloni on Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:31 am

I'm a complete newbie here, so I reserve the right to be a little n00bish for the first day or so... -evil grin-

I'm really grateful to the people who did greet me. <33 to them. But looking around the forums- they're totally dead. You can almost hear the sound of the whistling wind and the tumbleweed rolling past. Perhaps there are people who update on them, but when there's so many members- precisely 921, according to the list- and four members or less online at 3pm GMT (at which point a lot of the world should be awake) I call it just a little lifeless.

It's not that there's no interesting threads. There are. But there's no people on the interesting threads. I'm not saying that it should be a rule that every single one of those almost-one thousand members should be online EVERY MOMENT OF EVERY DAY YO, FORGET YOUR COURSEWORK, I just think that something's a bit... lacking? Maybe if there was something a little extra? I'm not saying 'go copy the other online communities', but the ones that offer something more interesting than a load of long paragraphs tend to have more players.

For the record, I think that comics are a great idea. All the good sites have comics, and I and probably loads of other people love reading them. Also, maybe somewhere more specific for art, poetry and prose? Or some sort of gallery where the best can be shown? It's very likely not a must for every single roleplayer, but lots of them tend to like creative and artistic activities. I mean, anyone who's addicted to roleplaying (to any level beyond 'omg teh pwnz i cn save teh world then tak the heroine in2 teh bedroom') probably likes that sort of thing.
That really shoulda gone in some sort of suggestions thread, but I felt it might be relevant here.

Anyway... enough ranting for me. :3
If you wish, I will become a rose.

Melloni
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby miyumi on Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:34 am

wait, did we lose our gallery? ::goes to look::

ERIC! Bring the gallery back! No wonder Edge hasn't updated the comic in like, forever. What happened to it!?!

miyumi
Member for 19 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Edge on Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:58 am

*Speaking in 3rd person*

That, and Edge-kun is currently dying at his new job. However he'll make a new topic and begin to repost the old comics at least.

Edge
GWC Veteran
Member for 19 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Azamiko on Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:04 am

Eh? Comics? O.O Ooh...Dokko desuka?

Azamiko
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rin on Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:48 pm

Yes. Usually I'd be long gone by now, since the forums are very inactive, but I am staying here, reading posts, and seeing how I can improve by myself before searching for a more active rp site. I like this because people are very good at what they write.

A friend and I were joking, "Maybe they post when they're taking breaks from writing their novels." That's what it seems like.

Anywho, I'm going to keep giving this place a chance. I really hope things do pick up around here.
This is the challenge of writing. You have to be very emotionally engaged in what you’re doing, or it comes out flat. You can’t fake your way through this.
-Real Life Preacher

Rin
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Grimbold Theoman on Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:51 pm

To answer Rin's implied criticism, and speaking purely personally, many of my post take a long time sometimes hours to craft. Okay I know it doesn't look like it when you read them, but they do take time, and I my time is limited. So what am I to do, post more worse posts, contribute to games that do not inspire me just because we need contributions even though they will not inspire others? Everything that isn't posting in games is wasted effort, from a certain point of view. And lets look at how many people actually post in games, rather than the other areas of the forum, including some of the admin and mod staff.

Basically tell me what I am doing wrong.

Grimbold Theoman
GWC Veteran
Member for 18 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Contributor

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!