Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

Endurance

a topic in Fantasy Roleplay, a part of the RPG forum.

If you would like to make your own roleplay based in a fantasy realm (dragons, elves, magic), use this forum. You will be in charge of all things related to your roleplay, so you're on your own here.

Endurance

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby GoaGreena on Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:25 pm

In the land of Ki'rahn, there are only there are only two rules: Play the game, or die. The game is called "Endurance" and all those who have been imprisoned must play. Outsiders, who happen to come across the land of Ki'rahn are the players, they must each endure various forms of torture, the last one standing is the winner and therefor obtains the
Prise. What is the Prise? No one knows.

In Ki'rahn only the strong survive and the word of the King is the word of God.

"Got another one, sir." The guard grumbled, digging his nails into Theos' arm. "He looks strong, he may last."

"I'll be the judge of that." A voice sounded from the darkness, very formal, almost regal. The man stepped out from behind the prison bars. He wore a long purple robe, a long sword strapped to his side and a glinting gold crown atop his head. "It is my game, after all."

"Yes, your majesty." The guard murmured, letting go of Theos and forcing him to his knees. Theos examined the King's sword. It seemed to glow somehow.... "Bow to the King, you idiot!" The guard cried. "'Less you want that sword down your throat!"

Theos glared at the guard but bowed his head. "What do you want with me?" He asked, head down but eyes up.

The King laughed. "I want entertainment. Tell me, how old are you?"

Theos raised an eyebrow but answered despite himself. "Twenty-five, sir." He spat the word out like bad milk.

Laughter boomed from the King's wide mouth. "Feisty, aren't you? Very good. Twenty-five's a good age. You'll last long."

Theos stood up abruptly. "Last? What do you mean? Spit it out!"

"Enough!" The King shouted, raising his sword to Theos. Some sort of energy seemed to omit from it, making it hard for Theos to breath. He fell to his knees, clutching his neck. "You'll learn how to address your King and Game-master soon enough!"

Theos felt as though he had a noose around his neck, pulling tighter by the second until finally, he could take no more and blacked out.

The King nodded to the guard. "Take him to the prison room."

The guard nodded and dragged Theos off, letting his face scrape against the stone.

Darkness.... That was what greeted Theos upon his awakening. Darkness and shackles, strapping his right leg to the cold, barren floor.

A voice seemed to come from nowhere, echoing across the stone walls of the prison. "More will come, Theos. And when they do, the game can begin."

Theos felt the bloody scrapes on his face and spat. He had to get out of here.... But he didn't remember how he got in.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

GoaGreena
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Re: Endurance

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby GoaGreena on Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:25 pm

I'm bumping this because I really hope it takes off.
Please give it a chance.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

GoaGreena
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ohhhhhallibaba on Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:25 pm

((Is there an OOC or signup for it? I'm going to go ahead and post, but I'll sign up if there's a signup topic.))

Storm's feet hit the ground at a steady tempo as he raced through the city streets. Storm was a law-abiding citizen, so it wasn't the guards that made Storm knock over crates of bread and kick loose gravel behind him, but his own family. They had found him and were after revenge of the coldest kind: blood. His hood flew off of his head revealing his white hair and strange, purple eyes. A sharp turn around a corner took him through a mud puddle and down an alleway. Another turn took him out of the alley and onto the city streets again. At least here there would be witnesses.

"Storm. It sickens me to speak the name."

Storm felt a presence behind him, followed by an arm around his throat and the cold metal of a blade against his cheekbone as he was dragged back into the alley. The blade easily cut Storm's skin and he bled for the the first time since he left "home." It had been a long time since he had come across anybody with the same talents and "gifts" he posessed, and now that he had he was afraid. The blade continued to trace a curve from his cheekbone, across his temple, finally stopping at the base of the forehead, forming a deep wound around his left eye.

"How does it feel to bleed, Storm? It's probably been a long time, hasn't it?"

The word "bleed" was said with an errie kind of pleasure that the knife-holder had from seeing the dark, red liquid roll down Storm's face and onto his robe. The assassian flicked his blade and droplets of blood splattered the earth.

"The first wound is to injur. The second is to kill."

In a flash, Storm twisted his body backwards, placed his hand in between the assassian's shoulder blades, and twisted in the other direction, pushing the man forward onto the ground. As he fell to the ground, Storm placed his large black boot on the back of his head and applied preassure.

"I'm going to walk out of the alley. If anyone asks what happened to me, have my word I will lie. I'm not going to see you sent to the prison, but keep this in mind. I still know everything. I can take the guards to the training hall, I can take the guards where initiations are performed, and I can identify every member there was before I left. I won't do that to you though. I'm leaving now. Don't follow me. I miss you, dad."

Storm wiped the blood from his face and backed away slowly. As he made his way back to the city streets, he re-hooded and blended in. He hadn't taken but a few steps when he was stopped by shouts directed towards him.

"You! With the hood! The one that just came out of the alley! Stop where you are!"

Storm haulted, hoping he wouldn't have to fight. He turned on his heel, and was shackled.

"You're under arrest, by decree of the king, for brawling in the streets."
"What do you mean! I was defending myself!"
"Would you be so bold as to argue with the king's wisdom?"
"Wisdom you say! Bah! Why I have more wisdom in my left tes--"

Storm awoke in a cold, damp, dark chamber, and he was chained. Looking up, Storm could feel his injury pulsing. Whoever had taken him hostage, or prisoner, was at least kind enough to have his injury tended to. Across the room Storm could make out another figure, who seemed exhausted and hungry. Pulling on the chain, he saw it to be attached to another prisoner who seemed to be as confused and helpless as himself.

Storm, this is Theos. Get comfortable with him as he will be your teammate. Or, perhaps, your enemy? Time will surely tell.

To break the silence, as difficult as it may be to explain, Storm spoke first.

"Theos? Shame we have to meet in such circumstances."

"RolePlayGateway is proudly powered by obscene amounts of caffeine, duct tape,..." <--Ever notice this at the bottom of the page?

ohhhhhallibaba
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby GoaGreena on Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:05 pm

(No, I'm pretty lenient on that, just develop your character as you go)

Theos looked up at the man. She was beaten and there was a wound on his cheek. "Got you too, eh?" Theos sighed, staring at the chain around his ankle. "Those bastards out there want us to play their game. They call it "Endurance"."

Theos watched the moon rise outside the window bars. He found himself trying to remember how he'd gotten in again but found the effort pointless. He just couldn't pinpoint the exact point before he got in.

"So, they call you Storm, eh?" Theos asked, not expecting an answer. "Do you remember how you got in here, Storm? Or am I the only one facing the problem of long-term memory loss?"

GoaGreena
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ohhhhhallibaba on Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:06 pm

"Got you too, eh? Those bastards out there want us to play their game. They call it 'Endurance.'"

"So, they call you Storm, eh? Do you remember how you got in here, Storm? Or am I the only one facing the problem of long-term memory loss?"

Storm closed his eyes and rested his head against the cold, damp, stone wall. If he explained that he was running from his family, he would have to explain who his family was, and would then have to explain why he was running from them. That story was a long one, so he decided he was going to keep it short.

"I had a bad run in with a theif. They came up behind me and," Storm caressed his stitches, "they did this to me. I managed to fend him off, but the guards tried to arrest me for fighting. Idiots. Next thing I knew, I was waking up in here with no idea where I am or why I'm here. It's still a little fuzzy though."

Storm opened his eyes and tried to get to his feet. As he stood up, he made his way over to the gate. Columns of rusted iron bars were cold as the rest of the room. Looking through the bars, Storm could see no other cells, and realized his and Theos' was a rather large room. There was very minimal light, and absolute silence from outside the room. There weren't even crickets from outside the building itself. The silence was eerie as the only thing Storm could hear was the echoes of the day's events. Or had it been weeks since he was arrested? Months? His head started to pulsate and he rubbed at his temples.

"These bars are weak."

Storm picked up the chain that was attached to the wall and examined it. It was as old, if not older, than the iron bars of the room's gate.

"So are these chains. And even if they weren't, the stone they're attached to are weak enough we could rip them out if we needed to. Not to mention there doesn't seem to be anyone else around other than us. This is odd. Usually prisons have steel bars, or at least get new iron every year or so. What are they playing at?"

ohhhhhallibaba
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby GoaGreena on Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:40 pm

"It's a game." Theos replied simply. "Perhaps they want us to try and escape, see how long we'd last, how much we could endure before they put us back." He started thinking. "I haven't been fed since I got in here, you know. I'm thinking... what if we have to play their game to get fed?" Theos shook his head. "They can always get more "players", they wouldn't need to keep us alive."

While pondering that though, he decided that it would be better to just die rather than make his captors happy. He figured they were watching, probably taking bets on how long they'd last, how much torture and hunger they could endure....

Just as Theos decided to stay and not give into the King he heard something, like a low hum. "What the-" Then there was a zap and pulsating pain shot through him, causing him to cry out in agony, holding his temples, trying to make the pain stop! He couldn't figure out where it was coming from but he couldn't think straight at all.

Withering on the ground, the chain tore from the wall and all at once, the pain ceased. Theos lay curled on the floor a moment longer, breathing deep.

"I guess we don't have a choice." He rasped at last.

GoaGreena
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ohhhhhallibaba on Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:52 pm

Storm jumped as Theos wriggled and screamed in pain. Watching with helplessness, Storm tore his own chain from the wall and ran to his aid. Theos seemed fine after the pain ceased.

"I guess we don't have a choice."

Storm turned and looked at the weak bars. Making his way up, he through a swift side-step-kick motion, shattering the iron. Reaching through the hole that was too small to crawl though, he grabbed the handle on the other side and wrenched the gate open. Trying to make as much noise as possible while he broke though, Storm's thoughts were confirmed.

"There's nobody here, Theos."

Looking to his right, he saw a stairwell dimly lit with a single torch and a dark wodden door at the top. To his left was a stone wall and another empty cell across the hallway.

"Come one. I think I can hear the outside from this door. They just built a replica prison barracks, when really all it is is two cells and an exit. Let's go."

ohhhhhallibaba
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby GoaGreena on Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:14 pm

Theos nodded, getting back up. "I wonder what awaits us on the outside...." He sighed, striding over to the exit.

"Well, here goes nothing...." Theos swung the door open, bracing himself and-

There was no one there. The outside was eerily quiet, almost silent but for the wind whistling lowly, ruffling his messy black hair. He took a step forward, cautiously, quietly, observing the barren dusty landscape. The air was stale.

He blinked, confused. He had no idea where they were, no idea where he had come from or where he needed to be. He remembered someone else... a girl... Was she important? He thought, observing the silence.

Then it hit him. He had been engaged to his sweetheart. His Miri. He remembered watching helplessly, watching a man hold a knife to her throat and slit it slowly as her screams came out like gurgles through the blood...

He blinked again and there she was, right in front of him, screaming and crying, being tortured, and suddenly he was holding the knife, he was cutting her, he was killing her and he couldn't stop. She was pleading, crying his name, telling him she loved him, asking why, why was he doing this? Why?

Theos tried to clear his mind but the visions were vivid. He didn't know anymore if they were real or not, only that he was killing his beloved. He was torturing her. He was evil, a monster!

And then it was gone. The barren landscape returned to his vision and he gasped, shivering with horror. "Now I get it...." Theos rasped. "This isn't real. It can't be real!"

Then more visions flooded him. This time his fiancée held the knife, she was cutting him, she was torturing him, hate burned off her. Theos cried out in pain and betrayal. "This isn't real! It's not real!" He yelled, blood filling his throat. "It can't be real...."

GoaGreena
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ohhhhhallibaba on Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:52 pm

Storm ran up the steps behind Theos and made it a few steps ahead of him. Scanning the landscape, Storm's forming-scar burned as the wind blew past it. He quickly climbed to the top of a nearby tree. The land was an odd mixture of different terrains. They were in the middle of a forest and in the distance he could see every terrain touching, but not crossing over. To their left was a windy blizzard with what seemed to be large sleeping pillows, but were actually giant white bears. To the right was a desert that was equally windy and sand dunes as large as castles. In front of them was a rainforest, and he could see the different species of animals and hear their calls. To their rear...

"This isn't real! This isn't real! This isn't real!

Storm looked down and saw Theos wriggling on the ground again. Leaping to nearby branches and swinging to the ground, Storm stooped down to help.

"Theos! Theos!"

He continued to wriggle around and scream, so Storm reared his palm back, and it connected with Theos' face.

"Theos! Snap out of it! The last thing we need is for you to lose your sanity!"

ohhhhhallibaba
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby GoaGreena on Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:02 pm

The visions kept coming, killing and wars, people being maimed, he felt his arm being torn right off but he refused to believe it. "This isn't real!"

More killing... more slaughter... more pain... Oh God, the pain....

"Brace yourself, Storm!" Theos spat. "They're going to get you too!"

He didn't know how he knew it, but he did. They were bringing back his memories, all the bad ones, and warping them for further torture. He tried to focus, tried to snap out of it but the images... the pain... the torture!

It was too much! "Brace yourself..." He rasped, holding his temples, shivering but otherwise still. His eyes were shut tight, blocking the world around him and he just couldn't open them back up.

GoaGreena
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ohhhhhallibaba on Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:28 pm

Brace yourself Storm! They're going to ge--"

Storm blacked out and woke up in just that: blackness. Opening his eyes, Storm found himself to be a young man. He was 13 years old and was in the middle of a forest about two miles from The Church. Getting to his feet, he realized what was happening. Whoever was in control had brought him back to his rite of passage. He had to make his way back to The Church using only the resources, and he had to make it back first. Leaves moved behind him and he jumped up a tree. From behind the bushes came Thunder, another member of The Family. Thunder was already armed with a spear, a poorly fashioned one, but a spear nonetheless.

Thunder launched the spear at Storm and he simply let go of the tree and fell to his feet. The spear fell next to him and he grabbed it, launching the stick and stone at Thunder, following behind it at full sprint. While Thunder moved to evade the spear, Storm tackled him and brought him to the round. Hard.

"C'mon now Storm! We both know you won't do it! Lemme go back to The Church, tell them I killed ya, and you can walk off free."

Thunder had covered himself in mud from last night's rain, making him hard to see and hard to keep a grasp on, but Storm was more brain than brawns, and more agile than strong.

"Thunder, I may not be like the rest of you, but I still have dignity."

Storm squeezed his knees against Thunder's ribs, forcing breath out of his lungs. Of all the lessons Storm paid attention to, preassure points were his favorite things to learn, though he excelled at all. With two fingers, Storm jabbed at Thunder's temple at the most perfect angle, causing him to pass out.

Getting to his feet Storm felt a wooshing sound as he was tossed into the initiation hall. Sitting in his black robe and hood, Storm wore the ropes and awards of his achievements academically and physically. He looked up and could feel the evil radiating from The Family. He was now 18 years old.

"Storm, you have passed all of your courses with at least 105%, and mastered your tests with higher scores than some of the legends that we have initiated into The Hall, but you still need to graduate. Your assignment: a man by the name of Arthur. Have him eliminated in the most descreet way, and leave no trace of murder. We would hate for his wife to find his dead body afterall."

Storm was tossed into another room yet again and awoke to see Arthur's face sleeping peacefully. Behind him was his Mentor, there to make sure Storm did as told.

More wooshing and Storm was running from Arthur's house. He was unable to do the deed, and woke Arthur to warn him about what was getting ready to take place. He tried to fight them off, but the Mentor was a veteran of The Art, and knew how to handles this situation. Now Storm was running from his entire life. The Church. The Family. And, worst of all, His family.

Storm awoke on the forest floor, Theos loking at him from above. There were tears rolling down his face, and his heart, lungs, and legs hurt as if he was actually running. His throat was sore from, what made sense anyways, screaming wow he had flashbacks. It wasn't the brawl with Thunder that bothered him, or the scene in The Initiation Hall, but the running away from his first mission. He had abandonded his entire life, and know The Family was on the lookout for him. Storm sat up, though his abs hurt, and was back to normal. He stood to his feet and looked around.

"Now what?" Trying to ignore the scene that had more than likely caused Theos to become concerned and feel a little bit awkward.

ohhhhhallibaba
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby GoaGreena on Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:46 pm

"I don't know." Theos rasped, trying to put away the images of his dead fiancée. He couldn't remember what had killed her but now he was beginning to wonder if it was he himself.

"The desert." He said suddenly, standing up. "I keeps getting pictures... sand... heat... a desert." He glanced across the horizon, looking to the desert. "I doubt they'll let us go anywhere else. I think we've got chips in our brains. The forbidden technology that only the King can master."

He didn't mention that he had remembered mastering that technology for himself. Maybe that was why he was here. Pushing the thought away, he took a step over to the desert. "You ready?"

GoaGreena
Member for 13 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!