Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

Tutor request (Pretty please? ^-^)

a topic in The Academy, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Scholars

Wanting to improve your writing? The Scholars are here to help! Find guides, tutorials, and even 1-on-1 mentoring threads here!

Tutor request (Pretty please? ^-^)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Safisan on Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:20 pm

If the title/(inconveniently alphabetized)tags don't tell you anything, I'd really like to get some tutoring from a more experienced user around here. Currently my posts are around 2 fleshed out paragraphs for a casual reply - I feel I'm lacking in the description department, though it may be something else. I'm also trying to avoid pronoun repetition when in character, I think I'm okay with that so far, can't be sure though. If you'd like to laugh at me/see an example post, do tell.
Last edited by Safisan on Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Safisan
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: Tutor request (Pretty please? ^-^)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Arietraekos on Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:23 pm

Well.... what Roleplays do you do most? The kind of roleplays you do specify what you should work on.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Arietraekos
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Safisan on Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:30 pm

Fantasy, I've fallen in love with a particular mutant rp, upper one on my signature if you're wondering. Although now that I think about it, I've yet to do a futuristic rp in my life. Do genres really tell you that much?

Safisan
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Monroe on Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:53 pm

The best way to improve your writing skills is just to read, read, read. Reading as much fiction as you can get your hands on will help you come up with interesting ways to string sentences together and describe things in ways which you wouldn't have thought of before. Having a large repertoire of material from which to draw also allows you (or anyone) more creativity. You'll have more ideas for developing characters and storylines, will know when to introduce a plot twist, and how to keep others interested.

I've also found it very helpful to read what others are writing, particularly those whose writing style I admire. From some I may learn a new way to describe something, or an interesting syntax, others might inspire me to make a grittier character, or have a particularly clever bit of dialogue.

But, more than anything, just writing and pushing yourself is going to improve your roleplaying skills the most. Showing the initiative to become a better writer and roleplayer means you’ve obviously got the drive and desire. I’ve no doubt your skills will steadily improve for as long as you push yourself.

Monroe
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Arietraekos on Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:58 pm

Well send me the link to that rp's Ic, i'll take a look at some of your posts and i'll see what u can improve on... I'm glad you like fantasy rp's more than anything.... just because that's my specialty to ;)

And yes, the type of RP ur in can determine alot about what you want to improve on.
If your in a fantasy rp, nobody knows about the Environment or possibly anything else except for you, so Explain everything you can in as much detail as possible, without going over board.

a bad Example in a fantasy rp would be,

"The great crystals shone brightly under the waterfall. With the sun beaming down on it and the surrounding meadow."

And good example would be,

"As the Azure crystals shone radiantly under the Sun that was tingling all the skin it touched. The nearbye waterfall cascaded Brilliantly refelcting all the suns light into many shapes , making a Brilliant raibow of every color shine in the sky, Complementing the Green meadow nearbye that was full of Orchids, lilies, tulips, and buttercups.

see the difference in detail? Which one sounded more appealing to the reader 1? or 2?

-Edit-

yes Monroe also does prove a good point, the more you know about what a good fantasy can and should be the better, and knowing what others are doing in the rp IS CRUCIAL. Plot twists are also things that give the rp some excitement, and can provide a ood change in pace. But you must know when to time it. or people could get confused and the rp might die.

But probly one of the most important part of ANY AND ALL rp's is a BIG vocabulary of descriptive words... Knowing words that can describe any and all situations can help prevent writers block. and it can make the Rp more interesting to read.

Hope this helps, but i'm not done helping ;)

Arietraekos
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Safisan on Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:36 pm

I am reading! ^-^ Actually my style took a radical change from something I read. (Nothing too noticeable, but it's big to me when writing.) Thanks Monroe, I'll keep it all in mind when I'm reading (and writing, and taking a shower, I have to go do the latter just now.)

Thank-you too, Riikano, I thought I'd have to elaborate the same on another kind of roleplay. I think I'm paying a good attention to everyone in the rps I'm in, especially this one I'm linking to - I'm a GM there, kinda have to, haha. As for the big vocabulary, I'm afraid school's not in my favor there, English class is well... Basic here in Mexico. I do have a dictionary handy, and google loves everyone, hopefully other writers I'll stalk in the future will have a big vocabulary.

Here's the linky: http://www.roleplaygateway.com/family-the-middle-summary-updated-3rd-page-t17605.html

Everything you guys are posting is really coming in handy, would a hug be too disturbing?

Safisan
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Monroe on Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:52 pm

Do you happen to have microsoft word, or a program like that with a thesarus feature? And I commend you for your efforts, especially if you live in a non-english speaking country. Is english or spanish your first language?

¡Que tenga suerte!

Monroe
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Safisan on Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:21 pm

Spanish, but they're almost even. I've had people correct me on a rare ocassion because I translate an English word wrong and the result is an odd sentence, or I can only recall the English spelling. I do have a word processor, Word 2000 and OpenOffice (because .docx extensions are a pain in the neck.) ¡Gracias ^-^! Curious bit of info: I learned English off the t.v., quite frankly, I can't see how anyone would learn from just staring at a whiteboard and writing.

Safisan
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Arietraekos on Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:19 pm

erm, i thought this was a tutoring link, not spanish 101 lol...

ok after reading what you posted i've noticed a flaw, You described the area you are in not very well, you only described that one little alley instead of the whole surrounding area. People need to know EVERY LITTLE speck of info in a fantasy rp, and you described it with a more vague sense. Try to add some detail or even a small background story inside the IC. Let people know what there reading and exactly what is going on. Also try to make Settings as vivid as possible without boring the reader...

Sorry if i hurt your feelings, just tryin to help! ;)

Arietraekos
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Safisan on Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:28 pm

It didn't hurt (I think), I find it really useful of you. I guess there should be more detail, it's a bit tough taking control over two characters (currently three, covering for someone >.<), as I did in that thread, but as for the vivid part... You don't actually mean to brighten *everything* up right? By vivid, you'd like me to add to the feeling the place should give - I somehow don't see myself making someone's funeral vivid or something like that.

Safisan
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Arietraekos on Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:38 pm

yes when i say vivid i mean full of detail, not happiness or joy. and I never realized, you were playing two people..... but on the other hand that should make posting even easier, considering that you wouldn't have to wait for somebody else to post... or if your a loner it also makes it easier to make long posts if you don't have somebody traveling with you.

Read all of my posts in this Rp, here, i'm on my own for now in there but look at the story detail and Story plotting i put into it. I make every word count.

aida-pluribus-unum-t17646.html

Arietraekos
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Safisan on Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:50 pm

I like them, it gives a good feel for the rp with just those posts. They had their own quirks... Hehe. But I can see where you're going with what you say, and I'll start to apply a little more detail, I was mostly afraid to because of the general literacy my fellow rpers have in that thread. (I believe they skimmed through a few of the bigger posts... Along with using those dreaded short posts filled with talk.) Thanks again, I'm really looking forward to growing up some.

Safisan
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Arietraekos on Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:11 pm

have fun :D

Arietraekos
Member for 16 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!