Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

The Land of Nod (Interest check)

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

The Land of Nod (Interest check)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tess on Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:35 pm

From Breakfast on through all the day
At home among my friends I stay,
But every night I go abroad
Afar into the land of Nod.

All by myself I have to go,
With none to tell me what to do--
All alone beside the streams
And up the mountain-sides of dreams.

The strangest things are there for me,
Both things to eat and things to see,
And many frightening sights abroad
Till morning in the land of Nod.

Try as I like to find the way,
I never can get back by day,
Nor can remember plain and clear
The curious music that I hear.

-Robert Louis Stevenson

In the Hebrew version of Genesis, there speaks of a Land of Nod. Cain, the first murderer, was sentenced to wander forever, immortal, cursed, in this Land. Nod, in Hebrew, means "To wander". And millennia later, this place, shrouded in secrecy and uncertainty, has been lost to the shrouds of myth.

All that remains is a single poem, whispered lullabies, and the screams of the sleeping. What became of the First Murderer, and whose dreams does he walk still?

A force is gathering, at the edges of our consciousness. In worlds beyond our imagination, nightmares brew. Cain has grown tired of his immaterial prison. He seeks to walk the Earth again.

It is time to dream deeper than you have ever dreamed. Time to take control of the world that lies in our minds. Time to track the demonic Cain to the heart of his domain. Before it is too late.

Close your eyes, pretty child, and I will show you... the Land of Nod.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This roleplay takes place in modern day times. Various people are suffering more and more nightmares, and some people are seeing strange doorways in their dreams that lead to a strange, quiet and foggy world beyond. Various groups around the world begin to meet in order to discuss the strange events, religious sects, scientists, "magic" practitioners, excitable school children, psychologists, the lot.

Then the comas start happening. People go to sleep, but they don't wake up. As the world's population begins to fall into this state, it is clear something must be done. Old religious books are dragged up from basements of museums. And the quest is given to a rag tag bunch of people from various ages, backgrounds, whatever.

Armed with a few special spells, you and your companions must give yourself to the lure of sleep, only to wake up in a world beyond your imagining...

Who is Cain? What does he seek to achieve? How can he be stopped? And why is his eternal prison so fiercely embedded in the Human Mind?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Anyone interested?

I am a member of DOL (Death to One Liners). If you are a DOLly, please add this to your signature.

So... Your character is amazing and attractive and powerful and interesting? Nice to hear. Prove it.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Tess
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Re: The Land of Nod (Interest check)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SilentRedemption on Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:05 pm

Seems very interesting. would someone be playing cain or would it be the "idea" of him?
I want all of you forever, That would be the greatest love story of them all.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

SilentRedemption
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ponats on Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:46 pm

Doesn't sound too bad actually. Are you doing the NPCs or our we doing them as well?
Meh.

Ponats
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tess on Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:56 am

Well I was going to do Cain until they actually get into the Land of Nod, e.g. if someone sees him in a dream for a few seconds, I would describe that, but I plan to have someone else play him once we get into the thick of it.

I'll be playing Roo the pebble-sifter (the little creature in the picture), a mortal character (Tessandra) , and a Mara called Charcoal.

Mara are the demons that Nightmare's come from. The 'mare' comes from old Norse and Germanic roots, from maron to mara. The demon was said to be like an incubus or succubus, and would sit on one's chest as they slept, to give them nightmares. In this RP, Mara are the dominant, evil creatures in the Land of Nod, and pick up glowing stones, cracking them in their iron grip, twisting the fantasies of the dreaming.

Pebble-sifters are intelligent yet only just coherent beings that flit around the Land of the Nod mending cracked stones or giving nice dreams. There are many creatures that will prey on the pebble-sifters, and unsuspecting trespassers.

Through the course of the RP, we will be entering many "dreamscapes", so there will be lots of chance to describe surreal scenery and terrifying creatures. There's also the Lilith NPC, as she was Cain's Aunt (a connection not often made) that looked after him when he was also banished to the Land of Nod. Cain is the first murderer, Lilith is the first vampire. Lilith persuaded Cain to drink the blood of Abel, turning Cain into a vampire too.

So yeah, Lilith and Cain will be made available as parts later on, but until then, just make a mortal character, and we'll see where it goes. ^_^ I'll put up an OOC.

Tess
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!