Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

As Above, So Below (Interest Check)

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

As Above, So Below (Interest Check)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Omega_Pancake on Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:17 pm

Likely a complete bastardization of the original use of that phrase, but look on anyway!

I'm looking to do an RP that might have been thought about previously, has probably had a stick shaken at it, but as far as I can tell, has not yet been done (much to my surprise). Well, I mean, it's been done, and it's been done a lot, but it's never been done in the sense that I want to do it. Perhaps the subject matter is a bit fuzzy. I know you're all dying to know. "What is it, Pancake?" you're asking. I can hear you. "What's the topic?"

Angels.

I know, I know--I can hear you laughing, and I assure you it causes pain within the depths of my soul, but bear with me, because I'm looking to do this Biblical style! Sort of. If the Bible and Good Omens (wonderful book by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, read it if you haven't yet) had a little RP baby, it would be this one. I am a horrible blasphemer, I know.

I'd want open-minded (for obvious reasons) and talented RPers, of course, and I'm not sure if I plan to do this before the Fall of Lucifer (therefore playing through the war) or after the Fall (so there would be Fallen angels and Armageddon and existential angst) or starting before and running for as long as possible before the ending I definitely have planned rolls around. I'd want opinions on that.

Anyone interested? I'll start to work on an OOC and an IC as soon as I get a few responses.

See a word in my writing that you don't understand? Can't find the definition anywhere? I'm probably sponsoring it. Did you know that much of the communication we use today consists of only about seven thousand words? These poor dears have been removed from the dictionary--but you can help bring them back!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Omega_Pancake
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: As Above, So Below (Interest Check)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby withoutfail on Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:33 pm

I don't know if I could pull off playing any type of angel, but your mention of Good Omens compels me to respond. :'D

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

withoutfail
Member for 16 years
Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Omega_Pancake on Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:39 pm

Oh, but it would be ever so wonderful if you could. I'd let you play an angel with intent to Fall, if that was the timeline we ended up going with. Something along those lines. I suppose I dunno what you'd take over angel or demon, though, do I? Eek, there are words coming out of my mouth and I don't even know what they're saying!

:P Good Omens is an absolutely wonderful book, I have to say. I probably would never have wanted to venture into an RP of this sort if I hadn't read it, and I like doing new things. So it's good for me. ^.^

Omega_Pancake
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Chris Nemo on Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:53 am

I'm not very well-versed in the actual story contained within the Bible, but that's what Wikipedia's for! I'd be interested, for sure.

Chris Nemo
Member for 15 years
Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Omega_Pancake on Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:53 pm

Ah, I suppose by Biblical I really meant it's drawn from the Bible/oral tradition/Paradise Lost/various and sundry other classical sources. Biblically, I don't think there's much written about the Fall of Lucifer to begin with.

Don't worry, the OOC will have everything you need to know all laid out for you, from backstory (which there probably won't be much of, as I'm strongly leaning towards starting at Creation or just after it) to abilities and those sorts of things. I might even have linkage for those interested, if I can find any of the above in an interwebs sort of format.

I see my idea does not appeal to the masses. This greatly saddens me.

Omega_Pancake
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby BlueJay on Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:34 pm

Your ideas appeal to me quite a bit ^_^

The whole idea you're putting out there seems fascinating.

I dont know if i could pull off a very good angel though.

And im new to roleplaygateway

however, not new to roleplay as a whole. I just did things a bit differently before, so am adapting here.

Still, if you ever do it, im interested if you will accept me ^_^

BlueJay
Member for 15 years
Author Conversationalist Donated! Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Omega_Pancake on Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:50 pm

Oh, you did things differently? What sort of differently? (And if you ever need help adapting, btw, feel free to drop me a line as I'm online quite regularly).

You don't have to be able to pull off a good angel. More likely than not, if someone can't do angel very well, they're going to end up Falling, which gives us plot, which I'm not used to but I've heard is a good thing. Also, angels in the sense that I'm looking to make them are a little--

Well, they're interesting. And pompous, arrogant pricks, most of them. They also have projects!

Omega_Pancake
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby chaostempest on Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:02 am

I'll join. I am extremely open minded and am a Christian.

chaostempest
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Juso on Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:13 am

I would love to join I know alot about all this and would love it!

Juso
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mavus on Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:35 am

I'm don't know much about the source material but I have a good concept of general biblical knowledge. I would certainly be interested in this. I'll keep an eye here because it sounds promising but can you post some more info about how you want things to pan out (or just play it by ear, that fine)

Mavus
Member for 15 years
Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby withoutfail on Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:56 pm

What I mean about not knowing if I could pull of playing any type of angel is that I'm never done it before.
But of course I'll do it. ;]
We all know angels are such 'goody two shoes'.
The point here is to add depth and flavor to them. ^^

Biblical lore?
My little book of bible stories gave me the fundamentals when I was eight.
I'm probably covered. :3

withoutfail
Member for 16 years
Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Omega_Pancake on Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:14 pm

My only plan at this point is to begin before the Fall (going so far as to say around Creation, at least that's what I'm looking at) and play through that on to some more interesting things. I've got several classifications of angels and of the denizens of Hell that will eventually be available for play. As for plot, I know the beginning will lead up to the war which will end in the Fall, and then all of human history leading up to Armageddon, and then I have the ending planned out.

I don't think it will be a long epic action packed thing so much as a humorous epic character-interaction packed thing. Which will be amusing, because the plot line is really more of a serious thing but I don't so much plan for the RP to be. Not entirely serious, anyway.

EDIT: @withoutfail : Yeah, I'm sure you are. :P I am not exactly well acquainted with it either, having been born agnostic and all of that. I do, however, like to think about Lucifer's Fall for some twisted reason or another. It doesn't really amuse me so much as it intrigues me, I suppose.

Omega_Pancake
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby chaostempest on Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:26 am

ok then, let's see what we can do to get this started.

chaostempest
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Target on Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:59 pm

Good Omens-esque role play starting around creation? That story is Win in book form. Please put me down for this. I don't have a lot of biblical lore (well, not specifics. I know the gist of it and have little factoids floating around) but I like to think of myself as literate and somewhat creative. I can play angel stuffed-shirt-tight-ass or Evil Demon-willing-to-rip-the-wings-off-of-cherubim-for-a-laugh or Angel-who-didn't-so-much-fall-as-saunter-down-briskly. So... If you'll have me, I'm in.
If you mess with me, you WILL be hippyfied. You are officially warned.

You lived what anybody gets, Bernie. You got a lifetime.
~Death

How's the general public today?
Off it's meds.
~Ian and Matt Machall

Target
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Omega_Pancake on Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:04 pm

I will most absolutely have you, of course, if you want to join. ^.^ I'm actually hopping onto the OOC wagon right now and getting that all typed up and figured out. Aside from beginning around Creation, anyone want an initial event to set the plot rolling? And by want, I mean do you have any ideas, as the public education system has sucked me dry of them.

A suggestion/word of warning (whichever you choose to see it as): Since it's sort of a Good-Omensy idea (particularly in the style of events and the styling of Heaven/Hell), I'm thinking that at Creation, none of the angels were divided into their respective choirs yet. Right now, they're all running around, aiding in Creation, assigned either individually or in small groups (partnerships, most often, but groups up to three or four aren't unheard of) to projects of their own choosing. These projects will probably be referred to in a very blatant and somewhat silly manner (for example, capitalized and italicized whenever they're mentioned, like Ducks), an idea I may have unwittingly gacked from a fanfic writer somewhere. So have ideas for projects and partners, or at least be looking once the OOC gets started.

I think that's all the news I have for the moment, at least until the OOC gets posted. ^.^ I'm excited.

EDIT: OOC

post787925.html

Omega_Pancake
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby BlueJay on Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:15 am

Excited ^.^

I look forward to RPing this.

And by "differently" i meant like, Ive never done much forum RP, only RP like the RPGchat on this site ^_^

But yeah! excited!

BlueJay
Member for 15 years
Author Conversationalist Donated! Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!