Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

Victorian Fantasy Interest Check

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

Victorian Fantasy Interest Check

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby River-Koi on Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:41 am

So I'm thinking about conjuring up a not-too-complicated, more laid-back RP. It will be literate, though.

The first thing that came to mind was a Victorian ball with a sort of fantasy twist. You know - each character mingles with a crowd of aristocrats, and through the gossip going around they find out some freaky/supernatural stuff is going on. They can choose to get involved or simply blend in with the background.

A little vague, I know, but the idea's out there.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

River-Koi
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Lifegiver

Re: Victorian Fantasy Interest Check

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Wakboth on Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:26 am

I like it, sorry if I am pinning your idea to something you want no association to, but it reminds me of Call of Cthulu the roleplaying game. Not so much the time period, as Cthulu is generally set in the early twentieth century, but a Victorian Cthulu would work well and reminds me of this a little.

Not that I'm suggesting you run Cthulu. I think it should be allowed to develop it's own originality and storyline, separate of other game basis. Obviously other things must influence it, but that's a matter of course.

I'd like to play this, when it gets up and going. For the mean time, I'll supply any ideas you need?
When the end seem to justify the means, you've tried too hard to find an excuse. When 'by any means necessary' means 'violence may become necessary' you've lost sight of your goal. When people lay down and die rather than endure any more suffering, worry for the state of humanity. When people do not comment on how wrong this is, become angry at the world, because feeling that upset is too hard to bare. When people say 'you care too much' don't answer, because there is no such thing.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Wakboth
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby River-Koi on Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:18 pm

That's interesting, but I don't really know much about the Call of Cthulu. Maybe you could fill me in on the basic conflict going on in that RP?

And I was still debating over whether the oddities going on in the RP will be tracked down to multiple people, or one person. Really, I'm open to ideas at the moment.

River-Koi
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Animality Opera on Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:22 am

This idea appeals to me too~

I don't know much about Call of Cthulu either, but I don't know how you could incorporate Cthulu into this lol. From what I know, he's not something subtle that could slip into a masquerade ball. o_o'

My main suggestion is, for goodness sake do not do vampires. >_> Victorian era & masquerades and vampires go together too often.
Maybe something more along the lines of shapeshifters or demons? I'm not sure if you're going for an overall supernatural feel or more of a horror element, but demons could certainly make things scarier.
And I'm pretty sure that I'm only human;;
Then again I could be [W R O N G]

Animality Opera
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby River-Koi on Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:15 pm

Hey, sorry for the late reply - computer crashed. -.-'

And don't worry, I'm personally sick of the whole vampire scene. But the demon idea does seem to fit really well. I was thinking the person throwing the party was a demon that feeds off of the souls of those around them, and they would leave their victims' empty bodies walking around in the ballroom like human marionettes. I'm trying to play up he creepy supernatural factor - not really too gory, but more of that "something isn't right" atmosphere.

Thanks for the interest, by the way.

River-Koi
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby [Soma] on Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:18 pm

I could bring my jester in here, he is more fit for the Victorian Era.
A great war leaves the country with three armies - an army of cripples, an army of mourners, and an army of thieves.

[Soma]
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby River-Koi on Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:24 pm

Sure, that sounds fine. Though in this setting he wouldn't be a court jester - the party is being thrown by an aristocrat in a small province.

River-Koi
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby [Soma] on Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:27 pm

Jester is a enigmatic demon who travels time and space creating chaos.
But he does dress like a court jester or wears a tuxedo.

[Soma]
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby River-Koi on Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:44 pm

Oh, well then...

I suppose that'll work.

River-Koi
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lavender on Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:19 pm

This would be cool to play. I'm sort of interested.
"Birthdays are good for you. Statistics show that the people who have the most live the longest." Larry Lorenzoni

my photography blog

Lavender
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Animality Opera on Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:32 pm

Ohh. I was hoping to be the demon. :c My character is quite charming and would blend in perfectly at a fancy masquerade~

Animality Opera
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby River-Koi on Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:51 am

Don't worry. There can be demons other than the puppeteer (that's what I'll call the head one for now). Though I'm hoping not everyone interested in this is wanting to play as a demon. That would sort of ruin the whole mysterious aspect of all of this.

River-Koi
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby [Soma] on Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:25 pm

So you have a sign up sheet yet?

[Soma]
Member for 15 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!