Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

A creepy school RP that's literate? With a plot?!

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

A creepy school RP that's literate? With a plot?!

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Marionette on Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:37 pm

I know the "school" vein of roleplays is not an illustrious one. They're a dime a dozen, supernatural or no, and not exactly famed for quality. I actually enjoy the setting sometimes, though. I was wondering if I could get some people on board for a roleplay that, while admittedly far from original, would have a higher standard of quality, plus a plot. Rather than saying, "Here's a school, go... do school stuff in it?" there would be an actual driving force.

As for the setting, I want something saturated in creepy goodness and rule of cool. Setting-wise, at least, I don't want us to take ourselves too seriously. Logic is not to be thrown out the window, and RP etiquette will still apply, of course. It's just that I do so much serious, realism-minded setting work, once in a while it's nice to unwind and play a game where things work just because they do. If you're familiar with the All Ghouls School trope, that's really what I'm looking for here.

I'd prefer to avoid the whole "Oh no, I'm a human in an all monster school!" path. Maybe, but eh. xD In fact, a totally humanless world or dimension would be fun, though it wouldn't necessarily have to be that way. If humans did exist in this world, the school would be far from their reach or at least unknown and inaccessible to them. Or maybe, just maybe, a few humans would be there, but not by accident, and there'd be a good reason for it. Really, if you know the trope, you know the drill.

As mentioned above, I want a lot of creepy flavor. This means it wouldn't be rare to see someone pulling out a thermos of blood, making a chimera in biology class, looking like a perpetual funeral guest, etc., though there is definitely room for characters who are a more normal and down to earth. The student body would be made up of creatures of all sort, from the quintessential vampires, therianthropes, and demons to fair folk, merpeople, and centaurs - and far beyond. Just about anything from any mythos would be game as long as it fit the bill. I'd especially like to recommend obakemono if you're looking for something different. Additionally, I do not expect people to stick to their original mythos like glue (as if anyone ever does in these things). Pop culture interpretations and original spins on things are welcome. Finally, it would be a modern school, probably a boarding school.

Onto the matter of plot: it's still developing. I'm thinking the backbone will be that something strange (or rather, stranger than normal) is afoot at the school, and a group of students (and teachers) will investigate it. *gasp* How shockingly original! As I said, it's just a backbone. xD Maybe things are going missing. Maybe someone turned the statue of the dolphins out in the courtyard upside down. Maybe someone's seen sneaking around out in the schoolyard past curfew. It all might seem like mere pranks at first, and let's face it, in a school full of supernatural beings, sniffing down a prankster would be tough. Still, maybe even at that point there's a driving force. Maybe the characters had something important stolen, or perhaps the principal threatens schoolwide detention if the madness doesn't stop. Maybe it's even been pinned on one or more of them. In fact, perhaps they've been framed or else people are biased against them. It could be that someone's just bored enough to try to figure it out. Their motivations may be wildly different. Whatever the case, they're on the trail. They discover something that suggests that the situation is more than it seems...

And that's what I've got for now. I know it's all very basic, but i'm thinkin', I'm thinkin'. Suggestions and brainstorming are very welcome.
Last edited by Marionette on Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
RPs:
Spring Rain and Havoc | Witch's Diary | Winter Rose

Need RP advice? Feel free to PM me.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Marionette
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy Visual Appeal

Re: A creepy school RP that's literate? With a plot?!

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DreamingForever on Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:54 pm

I'd really like to join this. It sounds like it will actually go somewhere and not just be a mindless RP full of idiots. If you get a clear plot, drop me a PM or something. Also once you get a Character Sheet up and running. ^_^
The name seems rather ironic if I’m an insomniac, doesn’t it? :3

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

DreamingForever
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ShatteredMind on Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:14 pm

Ah rp different from the usual "All ghouls" type would be nice, specially for the no human part, ah the opportunity to go out the border using a real different monster, I would definitly join this one.
|| Now I know that I´m the bane of my existence...||
True Story

ShatteredMind
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jescalee_soro on Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:30 pm

I would have to agree. This seems like a role play that will go somewhere and I like that you are not including humans. Haha. But a character sheet and final plot would be a nice guideline. =]
All that needed doing was to Lock, Shift, and Ctrl your Tabs.

Jescalee_soro
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Marionette on Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:17 pm

Glad you're interested, all of you.

I certainly hope it'll go somewhere. xD My goal is definitely to come up with a more solid plot so it can avoid the stagnation that's colored most of the school RPs I've run or participated in. Another goal would be to run one with standards that are a cut above the norm. I'm not trying to sound snobby, I just want some decent grammar and creativity. xD

I'm wracking my brains for a more solid plot. There will definitely be one before things start. As for a character sheet, I would need to have a more complete picture of the setting and plot before I could provide you with a final one, but I can tell you what it definitely will include:

Name
Role (Student or teacher. If student, specify grade. I'm not sure whether this will be a high school or whether it will include middle and high, but high is definitely in. If teacher, specify subject(s), and in keeping with the tone of the RP, magic and creepy sorts of classes are possible, but so are regular ones.)
Physical Description
Personality
Powers and Abilities
Any Other Info

Again, that's not a final sheet. A couple of other fields will likely be added depending upon how the plot and setting wind up. However, that will be the core, so if you fill that out, you can't go wrong. Since I'll be using the RP tab, you can also write up Equipment and Bio if you like; I don't require them, but including them is perfectly fine. In any case, you might want to wait a little longer to fill it out until I have more setting info, but you're welcome to if you'd like.

Let me get started on fleshing out the setting now. Perhaps there's an entire world of creatures. It's possible for them to go to the human realm once they're adults, and some are at the school to prepare themselves for this journey, but they don't have to go, and many choose simply to live their lives in the creature realm. The school is a large one and pretty good in terms of academics, but it's not the best. It's co-ed, but the dorms will, of course, be separate. I'm not sure whether there will be one dorm per gender or multiple. Most students will have a roommate, perhaps two, but there might be the occasional case of room with only one occupant (this will be useful if we wind up with an uneven number of male students or female students; for that matter, I'm not limiting either, nor am I looking for a specific number of either). Teachers will not have room mates.

And the school will be named... hmm... Ainsworth Academy? Blackwood? Lockwood? Irving? I'm not really sure. xD

Marionette
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DreamingForever on Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:23 pm

Sounds good. Just tell me when you have a set CS in mind :D

DreamingForever
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ShatteredMind on Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:47 pm

I will have a lock-on on this rp, since equipment doesn´t necesarilly means weapons or armors I am already thinking on some creatures that can use that tab.

ShatteredMind
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Animality Opera on Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:52 pm

This idea appeals to me too~ c:

If you want it to be literate, you might have to turn some applications down. I know, admittedly from experience too, that a lot of GMs are very reluctant to turn players away even if their literacy is not to favored standard. So if you're very set on maintaining a standard of literacy, you can't be afraid to turn people down. .3. Especially considering a supernatural school roleplay is going to attract a LOT of players of all skill levels.

As far as something strange to investigate goes, perhaps some individual of some species could be intentionally spreading a disease? Like, not just a "oh I'm calling in sick today" disease, but one that makes all species go feral and want to tear apart any organism they encounter. xD Something kind of like, when it's considered a disease, vampirism; something contagious via biting/spit, blood, etc. Something not incredibly easy to spread, but definitely spread-able lol.
I have a character for this, too, btw. -coff- >_> But it's up to you if you even like this idea, let alone want to give me the role. .3.

That's my input. n_n
At any rate, I will probably join this when it's up and running, so long as it doesn't get too crowded. x3
And I'm pretty sure that I'm only human;;
Then again I could be [W R O N G]

Animality Opera
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Marionette on Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:11 am

Here's a little thing I just did. It's a partial description of the physical setting in the form of an acceptance letter. =D It was fun, but I had to do it thrice before I got an acceptable one. xD

Animality- Hooray. :3

Yes, I realize that I will likely be turning some applications down. I hate doing it, but sometimes it's necessary (especially, as you noted, with a supernatural RP). I can't promise I won't be a little bit wibbly about it (I have a spine of jello), but I am capable of it.

Hmm, I'm not sure how I feel about the disease idea. It wasn't the type of thing I was envisioning. I will think about it, though, and I definitely appreciate the input.

Marionette
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DreamingForever on Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:24 am

*arm flail* that letter was top notch, dear. Anywho, I'm really excited for this to start. So you will be screening this? That's good. I've dropped a few RPs because the posts were not... Up to par.

DreamingForever
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Marionette on Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:19 am

Thank you! It was pretty fun to write. I got kind of into it. xD I don't think I've ever done anything quite like that before, but I was going to go type out the info provided in it, and I thought, "Hey... wouldn't this be cooler?" There's a little more info I would have liked to have been able to fit, but maybe I'll think of some other media-type thing for it. If not, I'll just type it normally.

Yes, I generally do. I'd love to accept everyone to everything, but I'm used to playing a certain way, and it's tough for me to do otherwise. Obviously, I tolerate a whole lot more if I'm mentoring someone. I'm always ready to help people if they're willing. Outside of that, though, I have my standards.

I'm getting excited, too. Argh, I wish plots came easier to me. They always take me a little while. My forte is really designing settings, but settings are only one half of the matter. xD I'm also naturally more of a freewheeling player. I like to set up a setting and then jump into things. However, that formula is a very, very delicate one, and a decent plot will make something like this work so much better. It's just a matter of coaxing it out.

I guess the first step is to decide on the initial event, figure out what the scenario is. Given the way I wrote the acceptance letter, it seems prudent to start out with a new school year. Then we get the opportunity for a decent mixture of new students and returning ones. I'm not sure whether we should start out with students getting settled in (then there's opportunity for new roommate conflicts) or not, because that could really drag on unnecessarily; we'd need to get past it soon enough. I'm leaning towards starting out a little later, maybe a week or so into classes, perhaps up to a month in. Anyway, the timing of it doesn't matter too much. What matters is that school has recently started, new students have arrived, old ones have returned, and life is going on as normally as it possibly can for a campus full of creeps. People are trying to make friends (or not), keep up with their studies (or not), and make the best of their time at Blackwood (or not). Sure, there the occasional... incidents characteristic of a student body of teenagers who just so happen to be monsters, but nothing out of the ordinary's going on. Our group should either coalesce during this time or because of the strange (but as yet undecided) events that take place.

Marionette
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DreamingForever on Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:45 pm

Well, if you start out a few weeks in/a month or so in, someone could show the problems they were having with roommates. Example: Jacey ran out of the quickly as to avoid her new roommate's wrath. They really hadn't hit it off and problems had arose.

Or something of the sort. Its all in the way the writer wants to have it be. ^_^ And as for you're plot problems, don't look at me XD I suck majorly at making solid plots. Once I get into an RP, however, I do pretty good. Its just that beginning stuff that screws me up. If you get a semi-plot idea and need help developing it, I can help. Just drop me a PM!

DreamingForever
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Marionette on Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:26 pm

Very true, very true. I think starting the RP a couple of weeks in will do nicely, sooo... second week of September, maybe.

More of a plot will come to me eventually. *pokes her brains*

I made a "brochure" type thing to explain the other stuff about the campus I wanted to:

This is getting to be too much fun. Next thing you know I'll be designing the uniforms and crest... argh, I must resist. I need to be concentrating on the plot here. xD

Marionette
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ShatteredMind on Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:35 pm

Sound nice, if there wasn´t a "magical labs" thing in the second one nobody would suspect the real nature of the school, obviously talking from a human point... wait I forgot there are no humans here XD. Either way nice. I wonder... How many monsters will accept a shuck as mascot?

ShatteredMind
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DreamingForever on Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:37 pm

Again, I be loving the work you're doing! Go ahead and do that stuff if you want. If you work on different parts of the school, you might get an idea! Yay! *arm flails*

DreamingForever
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Animality Opera on Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:48 pm

I HEART BLACK SHUCK. <3 My character is sort of one, in fact. c:

Animality Opera
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Marionette on Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:51 pm

Shattered- Haha, yeah. xD

I really don't think there'd be too much of a problem. I mean, you have real world schools with mascots of patriots, cowboys, Romans, Indians (as controversial as those are), etc., and this is a world in which most regular animals could have an intelligent counterpart, so yeah. xD I wasn't sure what else to make it besides some sort of beast, nothing else seemed fitting.

Also, perhaps black shucks in this world are only animals (albeit supernatural ones). There are plenty of other black dog legends (barghest, church grim/grim, gurt dog, padfoot, etc.), so I don't think appropriating one of them to be an animal is going to hurt anyone's character prospects. But doing that is only necessary if you guys think there actually would be a lot of objection to a black shuck mascot if they were an intelligent species.

Dreaming- Glad you like it. Heh, at least I'm getting some work done, right?

Animality- Nice! Black dogs are awesome.

Marionette
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DreamingForever on Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:54 pm

Exactly! As long as you keep up some type of work, we're all good.

DreamingForever
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby paradoxinsanity on Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:45 pm

I love your idea! I am very interested in joining this roleplay when it's up and running. As for a plot, perhaps it could start with little pranks, but gradually the pranks become more serious (i.e. it starts with objects going missing and eventually escalates to someone switching the labels on all the chemicals in one of the science labs). It doesn't have to be exactly that, but the idea of escalation is a good way of giving characters motivation for investigating in addition to their personal motives. Just an idea. I love coming up with plots, so if you would like my input, feel free to pm me. Either way, this idea sounds great!

paradoxinsanity
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Deja Vu on Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:02 pm

I already have a character in mind. All the plot proposals sound great as well.

Consider me interested.

Deja Vu
Member for 16 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!