Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

A creepy school RP that's literate? With a plot?!

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

Re: A creepy school RP that's literate? With a plot?!

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Marionette on Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:26 pm

I've still got some thinking to do, but here's a plot writeup for the beginning of the RP. This should be a good start:

At Blackwood Academy, a private boarding school for grades 7 through 12, something odd is going on – at least, something odder than normal. Blackwood exists in the Cryptic Realm, a dimension with no humans. What it does have is supernatural creatures, and it has them by the score. Things are always a little chaotic there, but recent events have been baffling.

It started Tuesday of the first week of school. First, a soccer ball went missing and then a volleyball. A basketball. A baseball. Another soccer ball. The next thing anyone knew, every remaining ball from every single gym had disappeared over the course of one day. The next day, they all rained down in the courtyard at exactly noon. At this point, nobody thought the situation anything more than a prank, though the teachers were as angry as could be expected about the incident. There were no signs of the perpetrator and no tips from the students. The faculty issued a warning: such dangerous, irresponsible, and dishonest behavior would not be tolerated. Nobody would be punished for this one, but it was to cease immediately.

It didn’t. There were a few days of quiet, but that Saturday, it was discovered that the black shuck statue in the center of the courtyard had been turned on its head. Just as before, it was a mystery, and no one would step forward. This was too much; it was a personal insult to the school for the statue to be defiled, and it was so soon in the school year, too. The faculty announced that, unless the prankster was honest enough to step forward, everyone would be subject to an hour of silent study and an hour of classroom cleanup each Saturday morning for an entire month. If things continued, the punishment would worsen from there.

Many creatures that go to Blackwood have a natural inclination toward small, harmless pranks. Anti-theft charms are applied to the rooms, but the low-level charms used aren’t terribly difficult to break or get around if someone knows how. As is to be expected, then, objects had been going missing from students’ rooms. It was a common occurrence, and no one thought too much about it, not as long as it was just pens, toothbrushes, and coffee cups. Besides, the objects usually turned back up in a prominent, if weird, place in the owners’ rooms a day or two later.

Then, on Monday of the second week, a few students lost important items. They might not have been obviously important, but they had significance to their owners. The items did not turn up. With no proof that the items even had been stolen (after all, it’s easy to enough lose things in a large school) and no leads on who the culprit might have been, the students couldn’t go to the faculty; nothing could be done. Instead, they decided to figure it out on their own. There was no other choice.

They weren’t the only ones trying to get to the bottom of things. Other students and even teachers were taken with the urge to sniff around, each with his or her own reasoning. As they look, things begin to get more and more bizarre. Will they band together or work separately? Will tensions get in the way of their goals? Will they ever get to the bottom of this mess?
RPs:
Spring Rain and Havoc | Witch's Diary | Winter Rose

Need RP advice? Feel free to PM me.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Marionette
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DreamingForever on Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:25 pm

Heck yes. That sounds really awesome. This is probably the RP I'm most excited for.

I plan on planning two characters if that's alright. Maybe a teacher(a young one. I don't do old XD) and a student.
The name seems rather ironic if I’m an insomniac, doesn’t it? :3

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

DreamingForever
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Animality Opera on Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:36 pm

I hope things are to escalate a little more than that? .3. Having stuff disappear, even perhaps important stuff, is kind of boring, especially considering it's such a bizarre school. '__'
And is there a cause? Or must we as the players genuinely figure it out? x3
And I'm pretty sure that I'm only human;;
Then again I could be [W R O N G]

Animality Opera
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Marionette on Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:50 pm

By the way, it occurred to me... with a school like this, there's probably going to be a mixture of nocturnal and diurnal students. How do we handle that? Night classes and day classes both available? If that's the case, then I'd think there'd need to be two sets of dorms, a night sleep set and a day sleep set, so that half the people aren't being disturbed by the other half at any given time.

I don't know if I want to do it that way, though. There are other ways. I'm thinking the majority of creatures here would still be diurnal, so maybe the nocturnal ones have switched their schedule with a spell or potion or have simply gotten themselves accustomed to being active in the day. I also think the sun in this world isn't harmful to any of the creatures. I mean, first of all, sun weakness isn't a necessary element of vamps. More importantly, the way I see it, it's sort of like... this the world they're meant to be in, so they have more options than they do on Earth, which is meant for humans.

Dreaming- I'm glad you're excited! I'm getting excited as well.

Yes, I do allow people to play multiple characters.

Animality- Oh yes, things will definitely escalate. These are just initial events. The stuff going missing and such is... well, what I can say so far is that it's a purposeful effort to get the teachers and students on edge, and it serves as a potential motivation for characters to start looking around and discover more (I tried to give people some options there as far as what's making their character start looking around). I should probably go back in and emphasize that.

In any case, I haven't got it all worked out myself, so that's part of the reason, but I was also thinking that it might be more fun to play a game in which the players, or the majority of players, don't know everything, so that there will be surprises. However, if you guys would rather know everything, that's fine too. I'm still not quite sure how I'll be doing it.

Marionette
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Animality Opera on Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:10 pm

Day and night classes would be confusing, and would separate diurnal and nocturnal students so they couldn't much interact with each other. D:
I think night and day, and sunlight, should be little different than how it is in our world. Nocturnal students could take medication/potion/whathaveyou for both being sleepy during the day and burning in sunlight. 'Cuz I don't know about other characters, but mine normally is in a hibernation-level of sleep during the day and burns terribly sunlight. xD

As far as the mystery goes, I think it'd be fun if we have to figure it out ourselves~ :B

Animality Opera
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Marionette on Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:20 pm

Yeah, I agree. I think it would be too messy to separate it out. We'll assume, then, that it's known that Blackwood is a "day school," and anyone whose character is normally nocturnal/sensitive to sunlight/etc. would have ways around it (which should not be terribly difficult).

Here's what I'm thinking. Once I figure out what's going on for sure, I'll give a vague description of the event, but nothing about who's doing it, how it's being done, or why. After that, anyone who's interested in being an antagonist should PM me, but not tell anyone that they are doing so. Anyone who spills will be disqualified. In that PM should be a description of their proposed antagonist character and information such as what motivates the character, what their scheme would be, etc. The best (one, or perhaps several, depending upon how many I get and what they are) will be chosen, but it must be kept a secret. When we start playing, antagonists will be leaving clues... but I highly encourage everyone, antagonist or no, to try to drop red herrings in an effort to try to throw each other off and make the mystery more fun.

Marionette
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Animality Opera on Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:27 pm

Sounds awesome. 8D
I am increasingly excited for this. >3<

Animality Opera
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby paradoxinsanity on Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:41 pm

You have no idea how excited I am for this! It sounds absolutely amazing. And as long as someone knows what's going on and the motivation for the character(s) causing trouble, I'm okay with not knowing everything. It makes it much more like a real mystery. I'm going to go start working on a character now. I have a basic idea for a character, but not much more than that. I hope you'll let me join. This sounds so awesome! :D

paradoxinsanity
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kestrel on Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:17 am

I might just be interested. Hence posting in this topic so I can find it when I have more time to put in something of significance in ;x

Also: fuck this avatar/signature is old. Can't believe how long I haven't posted here.

EDIT:

Name: They call me Saint... My mother called me something else... But I forgot...
Age: Age... That's one of those counting things, isn't it? Well, let's see... 1... 2... 3... -
Species: Tarrasque.
Role: Religion-teacher.
Physical Description: So what do you consider big? Maybe that creepy stilt-guy? The shared dining room of the facility? Perhaps the tower outside. Well let's just say that Saint does not fit in the dining room, leans on the tower and uses the stilt-guy as a tooth-pick.

Now not only is he that massive; he also has a raptor-like build but far broader; with longer arms and more muscular tissue. His head especially so is broad and has more teeth than a crocodile; but his (flat) maw is technically the only big feature here whereas the rest of his head is cropped up between the fangs, the muscles that hold them together and Saint's neck.

Saint has a scaly beige skin and a big, spiky, darker brown shell on his back; but also tail and forehead. Basically it spreads along his entire spine. It is combined and complimented by a set of thick black horns on his head and three of them on his upper arms. Saint also has fickle claws and - gasp - opposable thumbs.

Personality: Combine this; a spiked behemoth they call Saint that preaches in a boarding school. Does that sound out-of-place? Well that is what Saint is in a nutshell. He feels incredibly estranged from the world; possibly because he sometimes oversleeps a couple of eras. And what do you do when you're an old monster suffering from a light case of Alzheimer? You will try to hold on to as much as you can. In Saint's case; this is religion.

Not that he is neccesarily a living virtue himself, but Saint does try to hold true to the written word. He is generally helpful, a good listener (but talk slowly!) and very forgiving. On the ther hand he's also a preacher and will gladly tell you about how much of a terrible sinner you really are and how important it is you change your ways. But if you pledge redemption it's all cool.

Saint is rather forgetful and slow to realize things. He appears rather drowsy more often than not and is claimed to be an amnesiac. Which is probably true. Saint doesn't know - he can't remember.

Powers and Abilities: Nigh invulnerable. Saint can shrug off almost anything; ranging from vampire fangs to nuclear explosions - well, ok , maybe not the latter but he's still pretty damn resilient. For your own sake don't try to put a spell on him either cause he'll reflect it right back; consciously or not. Oh and he's capable of ripping trees out of the ground with his pinky finger.
Any Other Info: Now the problem with being very big and powerful is that there tend to be certain things to counter-balance strength. What did they call them again? Oh yes! Weaknesses! Saint requires more sleep than any other monster - for every hour he's awake he needs to sleep three minimum. Saint is also easily swayed by music; should he ever become aggressive; pray to your deity of choice that Saint likes your singing voice. If yes, Saint becomes docile. If not... Well, run.
Do you come from a land down under?
Where women glow and men plunder?
Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder?
You better run, you better take cover.

Kestrel
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Marionette on Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:07 pm

I apologize for the slow response, but I've really been trying to work out a satisfactory plot, and I'm still having trouble. The idea I have at the moment is that perhaps someone or something is draining students of their essence. This would not be a quick process. First the targets would feel run down. They'd get dopier and dopier to the point that it became really noticeable.

I'm still not sure. But does that sound interesting to you guys?

I also think I can finalize the character skeleton now. I don't think I'll need to add more than a field or two.

Kestrel- That is a very interesting character. I like it. My only concern is how much such a character could participate, given that most of the action will probably consist of moving around, looking for things, sneaking, etc. I'm afraid Saint would wind up more backdrop than anything else. As long as you realize that, though, fine by me.

Marionette
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby shinigamivixen on Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:42 pm

Wow....In all words consider me interested as well. Ghoul schools kinda have a strong captivating power on me XD. Unfortunate side effect on being addicted to horror movies. ^^' But heck love the setting and if the OOC is up id definitely join in.

shinigamivixen
Member for 15 years
Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DreamingForever on Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:35 pm

I like it, Mari (I'm too lazy to type out your name, my apologies.) It still holds the idea of bad things happening but makes students more motivated to join. Once you get a set CS, I shall add mine.

DreamingForever
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Marionette on Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:09 am

Haha, no worries, Dreaming. I refer to myself as Mari some of the time too. xD I also answer to Pixie (and a lot of other things), but Mari's still shortest.

As for a finished char sheet, this should be it. If I realize I've forgotten something, which is a possibility, I'll make sure to let people know, but (barring my forgetfulness) this is the final one.

Most of the explanation is not necessary, I know. Don't think I'm insulting anyone's intelligence here; I just like being consistent. >3>

Code: Select all
[b]Name:[/b] (The character's name.)
[b]Age:[/b] (The character's age. Remember, regardless of chronological or physical age, a student's functional age should be similar to that of the grade they're in.)
[b]Species:[/b] (The character's species. You can be as brief or detailed in your explanation as you like, but if the species is very different from the usual idea of it, it'd be best to explain. Just remember, no humans.)
[b]Role:[/b] (Student or teacher. If student, specify grade from 7-12, going by the character's functional age. If teacher, specify subject(s). In keeping with the tone of the RP, magic and creepy sorts of classes are possible, but so are regular ones.)
[b]Physical Description:[/b] (What the character looks like.)
[b]Personality:[/b] (What the character acts like.)
[b]Powers and Abilities:[/b] (Any special skills or powers the character possesses.)
[b]Roommate(s):[/b] (One or two characters of the same gender which your character is rooming with, if any. You'll need to work this out with the characters' player(s) first. Having a roommate is optional, but it is encouraged for those playing students. Teachers may have a roommate, but it's less likely.)
[b]Any Other Info: (Anything else you'd like to include. Optional.)[/b]

Also remember that if you wish to fill out the Equipment and Bio fields, you are free to, but I'm not requiring it.

I think I will go with the plot being to drain students and teachers of powers/essence/etc., so anyone who would like to be involved with the villainous side of things, PM me your ideas/character proposals. Again, I apologize for being so slow with this answer, but I've really been trying to think of something more concrete.

Edit: Gaaah, forgot something. I've edited it in. For those of you who have already filled it out, just insert a "Roommate(s)" field beneath Powers and Abilities and above "Any Other Info". As noted in the code now, a roommate is optional but encouraged, must be the same gender as your character, and it should be worked out with the roommate character's player first.
Last edited by Marionette on Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Marionette
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Script on Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:22 pm

Consider me highly interested in this roleplay, it all sounds wonderfully worked out and directed - I'll get to work on a character this week, probably either today or tomorrow. :)
Image Image

(03:04:15) Lialore says: I wanted to be the poo.

Script
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Donated! Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Lifegiver Cult Leader Tipworthy Person of Interest

Previous

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!