Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

Interest check: RP involving strange powers

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

Interest check: RP involving strange powers

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby parallelzero on Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:58 pm

Whoo awful title!

Since this is my first attempt at an RP here, I thought I'd do an interest check first. The idea was heavily inspired by the setting of the anime "To Aru Majutsu no Index ", but it requires no knowledge of the source material since the only thing I borrowed was the idea of the city. I don't really have any rules in mind yet, but I'm looking for people who have no issues pumping out several well constructed paragraphs per post. I'll also be using anime images for my character appearances, so it would be encouraged that those involved do the same (while sticking to original art, I don't like seeing characters I know playing characters in RPs)!

Here's what I've more or less got for the plot:

---

I can't stress enough the social dilemmas presented by evolution. Sadly, it isn't something that happens for everyone at the same time, but rather, it begins with a select few. As history has demonstrated with almost all great discoveries, the truth is often shunned at first, dismissed as false because it doesn't mesh with current understanding or religion. So, with the discovery of human evolution, how would those firsts be treated? As events over the past five years have showed us, not very well. Through extraordinary means, society has begun to slowly incorporate young people that have developed powers of sorts. Where these powers originated, nobody seems to be able to identify. These super-humans were shunned by the society that was aware of them, and deemed to be myths and legends by the majority of the scientific community.

These gifted individuals were thrown away, shunned from most. And in turn, the family and friends of these individuals were harmed as well. As a result, many of those with the gift were removed from the everyday society, whether by choice or by force, and placed in a more contained environment where they could live a life free of problems. At least, that was what it was made to look like on paper, and that was what the residents of the newly created city were made to think. It was never made one hundred percent clear who was funding the creation of the location, though many suspected the UN, and the exact location of the city was unknown to those other than the outsiders employed to keep it under control and the many regulars that chose to live their in hopes of one day obtaining powers of their own. Even to the residents of the city, it's location was a complete mystery. Temperatures ranged from absurdly hot to absurdly cold, which was extremely odd for a stationary location.

Mysteries aside, the city did seem rather normal. Those under the age of eighteen were forced to attend classes at night, while those over the age were required to work jobs. The classes were designed in order to not only give those denied a regular education just that, but to also help with improving their abilities. A little bit odd for a city that was supposed to be their utopia, where they could live normally, but nobody asked questions, and those who did were usually deemed crazy.

While those over eighteen could stay out as late as they want, those underneath the age limit have a curfew of 10pm so that they won't be too tired for classes. In order to enforce this curfew, there is a disciplinary committee composed of reliable, young adult, power users that patrol the city to make sure all minors are in their places. The committee also exists to prevent strife between city residents, but they fail in this regard, often completely ignoring the problems at hand, usually because they aren't enough to stop it.

The city is divided up into 6 districts which have different living conditions proportionate to the overall wealth of the residents. District 6 usually has the poorest living conditions, while 1 has the best, with large homes and well kept streets. Where each person is place depends on their income, which can be a result of working in the city, a source of money outside the city like family, or in rare cases, companies will give support to a resident that they see potential in, thus funding everything they do.

The special residents themselves are ranked based on performance and usefulness, designated with a number between 1 and 567 (the exact number of students in the city at the time of writing). The closer you are to 1, the stronger you're supposed to be. The higher closer you are to 1, the more you're feared. With some of the more... ill-mannered residents, this ranking system has created a survival-of-the-fittest scenario, where members will pray on each other in order to get their rank up, since every defeat drops your rank substantially. Those with higher ranks are usually sponsored too, so there are many reasons to lead people down this path.

The fact that those in control keep such a comprehensive list implies that they are constantly keeping tabs on everyone, maybe through cameras, maybe not. The fact remains that there are just too many mysteries surrounding the city, to both thus that live within and those that live outside.

---

Thoughts? Concerns? Questions? Feel free.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

parallelzero
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: Interest check: RP involving strange powers

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:42 pm

Hmm ..

.. this seems a bit more in-depth than the usual 'superpower' RPs. This one doesn't reek so much of the X-Men.

I also took a look at the roleplay tab itself when it was posted, and I'll have to see if I can work this RP in. If not, I'll be happy to offer an official Review (@ the Review tab on your roleplay) when it does get up and off the ground.

Cheers!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Lifegiver Visual Appeal Concierge

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!