Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat โ€” the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

The Depth Online - a vrmmo roleplay

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

The Depth Online - a vrmmo roleplay

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kestrel on Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:04 pm

TL;DR SUMMARY:
The Depth Online is an RP about a group of players becoming trapped in an online virtual reality game, where they explore a science fantasy world where sword and sorcery co-exist with flying hovercrafts, guns and fancy long coats. Given no explanation about why they can't seem to log out, players must fend for their selves in this dangerous and ever-changing world. The RP boasts a system that helps players craft a variety of characters and assists with balancing combat; taking as little creative freedom as possible in the process and hopefully making for an awesome experience.

Got all that? Still here? Awesome. Let's get in-depth!

The long awaited virtual reality mmo The Depth Online is mere months away from it's world-wide release. For the past year, gamers all around the world have been hyped and anxiously waiting for the newest and most epic instalment in the vrmmo genre. No more. You, amongst your friends, are one of the 400 privileged gamers who has received a beta invitation. On July 31st, 2034, you put on your virtual reality gear and dive into the depths.

Welcome, to a new world.

A new home.

EXPLORE

The Depth Online isn't called so for nothing. The game sets on a distant planet in where explorers find an abandoned, but fantastical world. Filled to the brim with secrets of a mysterious and ancient civilisation, players must travel deep into the wilderness to uncover this old world from under the layers that have grown over it. Their journeys will be dangerous, on this planet you are either the hunter or the hunted. Then there are dungeons to conquer; hazardous mazes that are filled with the most dangerous of creatures, traps and ancient automatons, which guard both mystic treasures and wisdom of old. Here's but a taste of what you, exclusively as beta-tester, will encounter in TDO;

Besides the unexplored wild, small settlements have already began sprouting. The settlers may have come in spaceships, but their resources on this planet are rudimentary. Fortunately, ancient civilisations have left countless ghost towns for our explorers to settle in. Life has began within multiple cities and it's people engage in trade, politics and have an active routine. However, these are all NPC's... The players, all trapped in a mysterious new world, are left with a different task...

BETA-TEST

Where the marketing promised, the developers delivered. Your first experiences in this virtual reality are sharper than ever before. The graphics are every bit they advertised, your avatar moves like it is a (devilishly handsome) extension of your body and each and every one of your senses is tingled with the data mimicking nature itself. Within the first minutes of your log-in, however, the system has sent you a message;

Dear beta-tester,

Our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced with the lack of a log out option. We assure you we are working hard to fix this issue. Your safety is ensured and you will suffer no physical repercussions from your extended stay in TDO. Meanwhile, please enjoy our content and explore the world of TDO you signed on for. Don't forget to notify us if you find and beta-bugs!

Sincerely,

TDO development team

What you make of this is message is up to you, but not too far in the distance, an NPC with a floating exclamation mark is waving at you, surrounded by your fellow players who are eager to take on their first quest... The one where they pick their class.

MULTI-CLASSING

There are fifteen available classes in TDO, divided in three archetypes; warrior, rogue and mage. All classes are completely different and each have their own strengths and weaknesses. It is up to you to combine them into the most interesting package, as players get to mix and match by multi-classing, and our beta-testers can pick two classes to start out with as long as they're within the same archetype, (An ability normally unlocked in the game at level 10).

OOC, most these classes are still under construction, but you can expect a combination of both familiar ideas (Elementalists, Bards) and twists (anti-magic warriors, mage tanks). Which you will be able to customise even further when you create your character. Who knows, maybe you already have a fun idea right now. In which case you should totally post it. I might just make it canon!

YOURS TRULY

Now that I've introduced the game and RP's are as much about the people as the plot; I might as well introduce myself. Hi, I'm Kestrel and I might just become your GM. I've been roleplaying for about seven years or so now, and, having finished several games, got a good deal of GM'ing experience under my belt as well. I'm pretty easy-going generally, open for ideas from others and solution-orientated. I'm not so tolerant of people being jerks though, but as long as everyone respects each other and the RP, I won't need to vaporise anyone with eye-lasers.

Outside of RP'ing, I'm a vivid traveller and occasional gamer. I also enjoy cooking and pretending I'm ever going to pick up sports again. Other hobbies include drawing and reading up on new scientific discoveries and then wasting half a day researching the groundwork before I understand a single paragraph of what was written. I'm also pretty big on music (like everyone else on the planet) with tastes ranging from jazz to metal and classic to deep-house.

CHECKING INTEREST

So, this is the point where you post you're interested (or press the back button). But if you have any questions or even ideas, please post them! And while you're at it, why not tell me something about yourself? Looking forward to hear all your thoughts and replies!

Kestrel

Art by;
http://tryingtofly.deviantart.com/
http://jjcanvas.deviantart.com/
http://josheiten.deviantart.com/
Do you come from a land down under?
Where women glow and men plunder?
Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder?
You better run, you better take cover.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Kestrel
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Re: The Depth Online - a vrmmo roleplay

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lily Evans on Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:53 am

Ooooh I would be very interested in doing this - either with a bunch of people, or 1x1.
Lily Dawn Evans:
My Character Profiles: WIP
http://www.roleplaygateway.com/work-pro ... 23818.html

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Lily Evans
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Leli on Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:11 pm

I would feel let down if you don't make this. Sounds like some good grade fantasy /sci-fi finally rearing a head around here. Albeit I would question the intelligence of the programmers if they forgot a log out feature.

Leli
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby phoenixheart on Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:26 pm

This sounds amazing. It looks like a great deal of effort and planning went into this but you've still left players room to stamp their mark. Consider me interested.

phoenixheart
Member for 11 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver Visual Appeal Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kestrel on Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:18 pm

Oh my, I didn't expect responses anymore, but good to see there are people interested.

One tricky thing though, I also posted an interest check on another site. So it may or may not be hosted on gateway, but you'd all be welcome either way.

Lily Evans wrote:Ooooh I would be very interested in doing this - either with a bunch of people, or 1x1.

That's great. I'm aiming for this to be a group RP, though.

Leli wrote:I would feel let down if you don't make this. Sounds like some good grade fantasy /sci-fi finally rearing a head around here. Albeit I would question the intelligence of the programmers if they forgot a log out feature.

Hey now, UI design is very difficult!

phoenixheart wrote:This sounds amazing. It looks like a great deal of effort and planning went into this but you've still left players room to stamp their mark. Consider me interested.

That's the plan. Well, more than that actually. I might be setting up the beginning and a couple universe rules and systems so that everyone is on the same page regarding some game conventions, but I hope to be less and less of a GM as time goes on. It's a bit of an experiment, though I have high hopes for it :D

Anyway. Here's some of the systems I've been working on since. Excuse me if it's a bit messy, the code between sites is different (RPG y u no have spoiler-boxes!) and I've been a bit lazy. Still. Let me know what you guys think.

TERRITORY

In TDO, there is a political system. Rather than NPC's ruling the world; areas are controlled by guilds (or in rare cases, incredibly OP or rich solo players.) There are a lot of advantages to controlling an area, both in terms of finances as plain power. Players can fight for control of an area, or trade rights. A list of benefits is as following;

FINANCIAL

• Ruling players can put a tax all trades. Between players, this means the rulers will take away a certain percent of the gold paid, whereas NPC stores will raise or lower their prices depending on the set taxes. This also applies to inns.
  • When players or guilds use housing (build or purchase their own house) they need to buy the ground to do so from the ruling class.
  • Ruling players can force entry fees for their areas. Maybe it costs gold to go to the best hunting grounds, or setting up shop in the market place will cost you a couple credits.

ACCESS

• Ruling players can forbid certain players or even entire guilds to access the town; allowing them to control an area without outside influences.
  • They can also do this on a smaller scale, preventing rival guilds to spy on one another, or organising the market place by level, price and quality of items. Hell. Ruling players can set privileges, such as only allowing their friends to visit the spa's and inns that yield the best rested XP bonus.
  • For the right price, ruling classes can lure NPC's to their areas to set up shops. A medical tent far out in a training field? An extra weapon store in town? You name it.

PLAYER KILLING

• Ruling classes can either make their towns safe havens, or lawless PK-zones. This requires a full day to change, however, giving players a chance to get out or get in before such a change happens.
  • They can also set privileges to players that allow them to initiate duels; allowing for either police forces removing bad influences, or bullying anyone they like, depending on whether the ruling class in benevolent or malevolent.
  • Ruling classes can set bounties, allowing all players to initiate fights with those with a bounty on their heads. This requires a reward, though.

EVENTS

• Ruling classes can set up events, like fighting tournaments or cooking contests or a hide and seek game. This requires a reward like bounties, but the cost can be mitigated by asking for entry fees.
  • Ruling classes get to alter the area for these events and temporarily force NPC co-operation. Maybe you want to have a gladiator match in a bath house? A foot race through the market place? Hide and seek in the dojo? Go for it.

| POLITICS |

As you can imagine, having all these rights gives ruling classes a big advantage. However, they need to use their privileges wisely. If a big enough group of players (20% of the 'population') decides to band together; they can attempt a coup d'etat. They may siege the ruler's palace, guild hall, or whatever base they operate from, and if they kill the ruling class, they can form their own. This means that the ruling class either has to keep their population happy, or rule with iron fist (read: PK-galore).

The ruling class can also be initiated by outside parties. This is called a faction war. If you think another area would be a great location for your new trading center, you can declare war on the rulers of the area you want. Perhaps the ruling class treats it's players unfairly and they enlist your help. Or maybe you are just bored and out for a fight.

During a faction war or coup d'etat, regardless of normal rules, the warzone becomes an open PK-zone. Even unaffiliated players can (or are forced) to join the fight. This can be a blessing, if they like you enough they come to help, or a curse if they agree it's time for a new rule.

| RELATIONS |

Although not a system, forming relations is most important in the political realm. Forging strong bonds may allow allied factions to come to your aid, or give certain trading guilds more favourable tax rates (every area has exclusive materials). Or you can organise inter-faction tournaments to promote your friendship or train your best fighters. Or... Maybe you have a common enemy you want to attack together! Should the game venture into the political; relations will play a crucial part in your success...

CLASSES

There are twenty available classes in TDO, divided in four archetypes. Players get to mix and match by multi-classing, and our beta-testers can pick two classes to start out with as long as they're within the same archetype. All classes have their own strengths, and TDO recognises five roles;
  • Damage Dealer โ€“ These classes deal damage, and lots of it. They possess the strongest attacks and are needed to take down enemies fast
  • Tank โ€“ Tanks are those who stand between the onslaught of bosses and the health bars of their party members. They can force enemies to focus on them and absorb or avoid damage better than other classes.
  • Support โ€“ Support is varied in that there are two kinds. One is focused on making the party stronger, by either healing or increasing their abilities, the other on lowering the stats and abilities of enemies.
  • Crowd Control โ€“ Stuns, snares, silencing; anything that (temporarily) prevents an enemy from acting is considered crowd control.
  • Utility โ€“ Everything that is not directly combat-related falls under utility. This role rarely contributes to making fights easier, but have their own unique strengths to make up for it.
Each class has a primary and secondary role. The primary is always more powerful than the secondary, meaning that, for example, a Warlock is better at Crowd Control than a Berserker, but the Berserker deals more damage, even though both can fulfil both roles.

| WARRIOR |

The up close and personal bruiser. The warrior archetype excels at melee range and deals physical damage. Warriors can wear heavy armour.

| Class Name |
Berserker
| Class Equip |
Sword, Axe, Mace
| Class Role |
Damage Dealer, Crowd Control
| Class Special |
Dual wield (attack speed buff) or two-handed wielding (damage and range buff)
| Class Description |
The pinnacle of strength, berserkers are fell warriors that dual wield for a blinding flurry of attacks, or wield massive two-handed weapons that can knock any lesser being off their feet. Brute force is the name of their game and their skills focus on dealing damage and breaking through defences with interrupts and knockdowns. Their own defence however, is rather lacking...

| Class Name |
Knight
| Class Equip |
Sword, Polearm, Shield
| Class Role |
Tank, Support
| Class Special |
Provoke (automatically forces enemies to face the user when close)
| Class Description |
The defensive behemoth, taunting death itself with their high survivability. Knights provoke enemies into targeting them and keeping them busy. Knights can keep their allies safe with a multitude of skills and are the only class able to use the shield offensively, but give up damage potential in the process.

| Class Name |
Monk
| Class Equip |
Knuckle, Staff
| Class Role |
Crowd Control, Damage Dealer
| Class Special |
Qi (increases status resistance, critical hit resistance, critical hit chance)
| Class Description |
Monks are extremely close-range fighters, but masters of pressure points. Their skills deal damage while debuffing their enemies abilities, or even paralysing parts of their body. Their Qi enhances a monk's resistance to status effects and critical hits, while increasing their own critical chance.

| Class Name |
Templar
| Class Equip |
Sword, Dagger, Shield
| Class Role |
Crowd Control, Support
| Class Special |
Rune Blade (drains half damage as MP when an attack connects)
| Class Description |
Where traditional warriors are weak versus mages, the templar turns the table. Templars are capable of splitting spells in two, reflecting magic or using silencing debuffs. They are also an excellent sub-job for any class that fears running out of MP, thanks to their special ability. However, they lack both the offence and defence to go toe-to-toe with the other warrior classes.

| Class Name |
Soldier
| Class Equip |
Pole-arm, Shield
| Class Role |
Support, Tank
| Class Special |
Morale (increases effect of buffs when allies are close)
| Class Description |
The whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. The soldier finds his place on the front-line by increasing their own stats as well as those of their allies by giving orders and creating formations. They are also able to manage aggro this way, by quickly switching positions with their allies and taking the heat off of them, but soldiers are not as sturdy as knights...

| ROGUE |

Slippery and quick, that's the rogue's bread and butter. They are more opportunistic than other archetypes, but also most versatile. Rogues wear leather armour.

| Class Name |
Assassin
| Class Equip |
Dagger, Throwing Weapons, Short Bow
| Class Role |
Damage Dealer, Support
| Class Special |
Stealth (ability to temporarily turn nearly invisible at the cost of movement speed, up until using a skill or getting hit)
| Class Description |
Burst damage at it's finest; assassins deal powerful single hits before vanishing into the shadows. They are the go-to class when it comes to quickly killing or weakening single targets with deadly blows and poisons. Although assassins have high damage potential, an assassin is best played with great care as their skills cannot be thrown out carelessly.

| Class Name |
Thief
| Class Equip |
Sword, Dagger, Shield
| Class Role |
Tank, Utility
| Class Special |
Lockpick (able to open all chests and doors)
| Class Description |
Thieves might not be dealing much damage, but make up for it with crazy mobility skills and the ability to rob enemies blind. Their dodging ability is on par with a knight's ability to parry, giving them great survivability in the hands of a skilled player. Heck, the way thieves can dance around enemies is a taunt in and of itself. In the hands of a lesser one however... They're quite fragile, so watch your step!

| Class Name |
Ranger
| Class Equip |
Longbow, Gun
| Class Role |
Damage Dealer, Crowd Control
| Class Special |
Detect (can see through stealth and discover traps)
| Class Description |
Possessing pinpoint accuracy and powerful ranged attacks make the ranger a deadly adversary. However, their skills root them in place, trading mobility for sheer power. Besides arrow and bullet volleys, a prepared ranger can use traps to slow an opponent's advance and can train avian pets to fight besides them. A ranger's narrow range has them at a severe disadvantage against melee classes.

| Class Name |
Bard
| Class Equip |
Dagger, Lute
| Class Role |
Support, Utility
| Class Special |
Catchy Songs (buffs and debuffs inflicted by bards cannot be dispelled)
| Class Description |
Like the soldier, the bard boosts the morale of the party, but can also lower that of the enemy. They have unique buffs and debuffs and can even heal with their skills. To do so, they sing songs, but only one song can be active at a time. Additionally, bards can have out-of-the-box abilities, such as soothing enemies to prevent encounters.

| Class Name |
Scout
| Class Equip |
Dagger, Shortbow
| Class Role |
| Class Special |
Scan (Allows the user to see an enemy's stats)
| Class Description |
Meet your kiting class; scouts are able deliver rapid ranged attacks while mobile. Scouts augment their arrows and blades with poisons, and are well equipped to scout ahead and test the strength of enemies. Scouts can also hold their own with good damage dealing potential and access to pets like wolves and cats, but lack the range and power of a ranger.[/center]

| MAGE |

Masters of the arcane, mages tab into an otherworldly realm to deal magical damage or support their allies. Except for clerics, all mages wear robes for armour.

| Class Name |
Cleric
| Class Equip |
Mace, Staff, Shield
| Class Role |
Support, Tank
| Class Special |
Prayer (nearby allies have a chance to take less damage) and heavy armour equip.
| Class Description |
Your bread and butter healer with some nice defensive capabilities. They restore health, cure status and provide defensive buffs. Unlike other mages, clerics are not fragile; capable of equipping heavy armour and shields. They can absorb physical and magical damage alike, but have poor movement and little control over other monsters, so are better off as off-tanks.

| Class Name |
Elementalist
| Class Equip |
Tome, Staff
| Class Role |
Damage Dealer, Support
| Class Special |
Spellforge (spells can double as enhancements to weapons or armours of other classes)
| Class Description |
Sling fireballs, rain down thunderstorms, tear apart the ground itself and crush foolish foes under avalanches. Elementalists use magical attacks from mid-range to great effect, but can also use their magic to improve the elemental offences and defences of their allies. While Elementalists wield large and devastating AoE spells, they are slow to cast, flimsy and lack mobility, making them a poor solo-class. Also knowing enemy weaknesses is crucial to playing them well.

| Class Name |
Warlock
| Class Equip |
Axe, Throwing Weapons
| Class Role |
| Class Special |
Decay (Increases the effect of debuffs)
| Class Description |
Warlocks rely on the dark arts to keep them alive on the front lines. They are able to lay down devastating magic circles that drain or weaken enemies, or disable their escape. They can even summon undead minions. They are also able to deal magical damage with melee weapons, but more importantly; stack devastating damage over time effects. Unlike other mages though, they can't cast from afar...

| Class Name |
Weaver
| Class Equip |
Dagger, Tome
| Class Role |
Support, Utility
| Class Special |
Good touch (slowly regenerates health when linked with allies) or Bad touch (slows the movement of enemies)
| Class Description |
An unusual mage class that links threads of mana between allies or enemies, allowing them to temporarily exchange abilities, transfer buffs and debuffs, or even trade places. The weaver doesn't create anything new, but relocates existing traits, making them the most versatile of all classes.

| Class Name |
Sage
| Class Equip |
Throwing Weapons, Tome, Staff, Shield
| Class Role |
Tank, Crowd Control
| Class Special |
Knowledge (consumes a third less MP than other classes)
| Class Description |
Able to use pure forms of magic, the sage channels their power into physical manifestations. They can chain enemies to them or one another, defend their selves with barriers or blast them with shock-waves. They can keep opponents at a distance with high knockback skills, harass them from afar and are extremely resistant to magical damage. When caught into a scrap though, the sage's physical defence can prove somewhat disappointing...[/center]

| TECHNICIAN |

The science part of science-fantasy, the technicians rely on... Well, technology. Bringing with them a variety of tools, they can turn the tide of battle. Technicians wear heavy armour.

| Class Name |
Desperado
| Class Equip |
Gun, Dagger, Polearm
| Class Role |
Damage Dealer, Utility
| Class Special |
Motor Whistle (able to summon mounts outside of dungeons)
| Class Description |
The desperado is the closest thing you'll get to a space cowboy. On the offensive side, their skills focus on quick drawing and expert gunslinging, using rapid salvo's rather than nuking abilites to deal damage. They're also masters of mounted combat, able to use their skills while riding their hover-bikes. Desperado's are also the go-to class when your party needs to travel from A to B fast; hover bikes for everyone! However, as they rely on speed and distance or party members to keep them safe, a cornered desperado is a dead desperado.

| Class Name |
Engineer
| Class Equip |
Gun, Mace
| Class Role |
Jack of All Trades
| Class Special |
Frankenstein (Able to fuse creations with allied players)
| Class Description |
Although unable to perform as well in a particular role as other classes, the engineer is highly versatile in that it can play every role decently. Engineers build robot pets, turrets and medic drones to do their dirty work for them and can have up to three of them summoned at once. They can even sacrifice one of their creations to fuse it with an allied player! However, being a jack of all trades means being a master of none, and an engineer can't do anything without it's toys. Toys that are unaffected by heals except the engineer's repairs... Which are exclusively close-range and cannot heal players.

| Class Name |
Medic
| Class Equip |
Throwing Weapons, Knuckle, Shield
| Class Role |
Support, Crowd Control
| Class Special |
Anti-bodies (Curing a status effect will grant temporary immunity)
| Class Description |
The medic is your close-range healer. They're particularly quick, requiring no casting times, but need to be in the thick of combat to be effective. Fortunately, the same technology they use to heal can be used to inflict a high amount of status effects on their enemies...

| Class Name |
Cyborg
| Class Equip |
Knuckle
| Class Role |
Tank, Damage Dealer
| Class Special |
Weight-increase (twice as heavy as other classes) Wind Resistance -20.
| Class Description |
Combining advanced technology with the human body, the cyborg is the next step in evolution. With skills to withstand a lot of damage and repair it's cybernetic parts and hide weaponry like tazers and flamethrowers in it's body, the cyborg is kind of a super-soldier. Though often a lot stronger than their flesh and blood counter-part, the cyborg sports a weakness to electricity (wind-elemental) attacks.

| Class Name |
Agent
| Class Equip |
Mace, Gun, Shield
| Class Role |
Crowd Control, Tank
| Class Special |
Sharing is Caring (Allows allies limited use of the Agent's grenade-skills)
| Class Description |
Armed with tear gas grenades, flash-bangs and shields, Agents are at their best when they need to subdue crowds and can withstand and deflect decent amounts of damage, courtesy of their protective gear. However, Agents aren't too good at sealing the deal, as they're trained to discourage rather than to kill. [/center]

As you can see, I only got eighteen classes at the moment, so there's two more tech classes to come. Input is most welcome, as well as for other classes. Keep in mind though that they're rough outlines, and you can design your own skills to fit the classes. So for example, Johnny's Berserker might have an AoE spin attack that knocks people over, while Billy's berserker focuses on a bunch of self-buffing shouts.

LEVELING & EXPERIENCE

In this RP, your characters will become more powerful over time. You can do this simply by posting, or by defeating enemies or by earning achievements. These actions will award you experience points, often shortened to EXP or XP. Experience points determine your progression towards your next level. For every 10 XP you gain a level and with this level you gain 5 points to distribute amongst STR, VIT, INT and WIS. Alongside your stat bonus, you get a new skill for each job you have every 5 levels, so level 5, level 10, level 15, etc. The values of XP you're awarded differ.
  • Normal posts gain you 1 XP each.
  • Battle posts gain you 2 XP each.
  • Defeating an enemy gains the entire party XP at the end of the battle. The amount of XP is determined by the enemy in question.
  • Clearing a story arc awards everyone involved with a whopping 50 XP. That's right; 5 whole levels right there, I just guaranteed you a new skill.
  • Achievements may award you with anywhere from 2 up to 10 XP.

ENEMY RANKS

Enemies in TDO are conveniently ranked by power level. Starting at โ˜…โ˜†โ˜†โ˜†โ˜†, all the way up to โ˜…โ˜…โ˜…โ˜…โ˜… . Each have an amount of base XP, which will increase or decrease depending on the difference between enemy and player level. So for example; when base XP = 10 and there is no level difference, the full 10 XP will be awarded. However, 20% is added or subtracted, depending on the level difference, up to 5 times. So if you are 4 levels higher than this enemy, you'll only gain 2 XP. If the enemy is 2 levels higher, you are awarded with 14 XP for defeating them.

As for enemy ranks; here's what you can expect;
  • โ˜…โ˜†โ˜†โ˜†โ˜† A weak enemy with stats much lower than yours. It can be one or two-shot by most characters, but often comes in hordes. Their base XP is 0.1, meaning you'll have to defeat a lot of them to gain XP.
  • โ˜…โ˜…โ˜†โ˜†โ˜† This is an enemy that may be weaker than you, but can scratch off a good chunk of HP if you're not careful. Some of them possess special skills and most come in small groups. Their base XP is 0.5
  • โ˜…โ˜…โ˜…โ˜†โ˜† These are enemies are your equals in stats and often have special skills of their own, meaning that you can't simply mash attack and expect to win. Use your skills wisely. Their base XP is 1.
  • โ˜…โ˜…โ˜…โ˜…โ˜† This rank poses a threat, as they are stronger in stats than your characters, but also possesses various special skills. These take teamwork to take down efficiently, but can technically be solo'd be a skilled player. Their base XP is 3.
  • โ˜…โ˜…โ˜…โ˜…โ˜… The mightiest of the mightiest, reserved for only special and boss class enemies. Gear up, party up and strategise for these guys, because without it your chances of winning are extremely slim. Their base XP is 10.

ACHIEVEMENTS

I don't know if any of you own an xbox or playstation, but if you do you might be familiar with the system. Upon playing a game, you unlock certain achievements for doing certain actions. Likewise, achievements in this RP are rewards for good and varied play. Saved your friend from trouble? Have some XP. Died in battle for the first time? Have some XP. etc. Good, varied play will get rewarded, whereas bad or one-dimensional play will have you lag behind your co-players.

You can only earn one achievement per post, even if meet the qualifications for two different ones. I'll roll a dice or something to tell you which you earned. Achievements can also only be earned once, so keep track of them! The requirements for an achievement will initially be hidden, but they will be revealed to everyone if a player earns it.

Kestrel
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Leli on Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:25 pm

I did some sleuthing and found the board I assume you were referencing. I'm like the real CSI y'see. I've really only one question and that's primarily about the stats. I understand the distribution, and that INT may not be all too important for a Beserker compared to say a Knight or Templar, but will skills and abilities be stat restricted? As a side note, is there any thought of raids or similar extremely difficult missions to reward players with an extra skill or ability whether or not they advance the 5 levels?

Leli
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kestrel on Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:19 am

Well, if there's any confusion, the site is Iwaku ;p

As for your questions; INT determines critical rate for physical attack and STR vice versa for magical attacks. At some point it actually becomes more beneficial to raise both if you really wanted to min-max (and even then, optimal stats for boss- and mob-killing may vary.) Plus they get you a little extra HP or MP for investing in them.

Later on I might play with things like equipment skills, which proc depending on certain stats, but that's pretty low on my personal priority list atm. If a player has a good idea or really cares though, it'll probably shoot up.

Abilities are stat-restricted. But if you, for example, wanted to base a Cleric's healing formula on Wisdom (magic defence stat) rather than intelligence, that'd be fine. If it makes sense, we can work around it.

I'm still thinking about raid rewards, and was leaning towards equipment and mounts, but yeah, we could go with a raid-skill. Dungeon-themed or something, so you could get to show off beating the 40-man lava cave by casting an eruption spell for example. Nothing set in stone here, but definitely something we can work with.

Kestrel
Member for 16 years

I have to say that this is really cool and detailed. I would love to join you guys in this roleplay!

ใƒœใ‚ฏใ‚ปใƒซใกใ‚ƒใ‚“
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kestrel on Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:12 am

The more the merrier :D

I'll be working on the OOC today and/or tomorrow. I'll be PM'ing links all around when it's finished.

EDIT: PM's sent. Everyone else who is interested, please post here or PM me for an invite also.

Kestrel
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby El_Gringo on Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:27 pm

Possibly interested. I read the original post, not all the discussion posts after. My question is, with no logout, when we die is it just a respawn? This isn't something like Tron where if you die you are truly dead, or what?

Just curious. Good detail and nicely setup Kestrel.

Though I barely play MMOs.

El_Gringo
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kestrel on Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:32 am

Yeah, you respawn in the nearest city, or at the spot if someone revives you (either by spell or item.) Permanent death is only a thing when the player in question is removed from the RP, or wants to kill off their own character.

Kestrel
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rickshaw_Watcher on Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:18 pm

Are you using a pre-existing system in regards to all of these character statistics or are you creating your own? Does this involve a lot of math, very little, or any at all? Would players need to download a spreadsheet to keep everything straight or could they just add up a few numbers to get the needed result? I find myself very... intrigued.

Also, what do you think of having the Engineer able to also fuse a machine to an enemy? Throwing a Turret to attack nearby monsters and make them hate on the Turret-ed enemy until they break the machine. Attach a healing drone to have a sort of vampire buff to player strikes. Attach a Robo-Pet to hypnotize a monster to fight for you, maybe with an hourly cool down. Perhaps a combination of all three.
Last edited by Rickshaw_Watcher on Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rickshaw_Watcher
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mac the Impaler on Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:48 pm

I want this so much. It's like you've poured liquid win all over the premise of Sword Art Online.

Count me in.

Our core is madness. Our prime directive is murder. We came to rule the Earth not because we were the strongest or the smartest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle.

Mac the Impaler
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kestrel on Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:25 am

Rickshaw_Watcher wrote:Are you using a pre-existing system in regards to all of these character statistics or are you creating your own? Does this involve a lot of math, very little, or any at all? Would players need to download a spreadsheet to keep everything straight or could they just add up a few numbers to get the needed result? I find myself very... intrigued.

I use a simple stat system. There is some math, but I made a spreadsheet that does most of it for you. Riiiiight.... Here. (though you gotta download it. Locked it so people don't accidentally mess up the formulas.)

Also, what do you think of having the Engineer able to also fuse a machine to an enemy? Throwing a Turret to attack nearby monsters and make them hate on the Turret-ed enemy until they break the machine. Attach a healing drone to have a sort of vampire buff to player strikes. Attach a Robo-Pet to hypnotize a monster to fight for you, maybe with an hourly cool down. Perhaps a combination of all three.

I did not plan for that but holy fuck that's awesome. This has to be a thing now :D

Mac the Impaler wrote:I want this so much. It's like you've poured liquid win all over the premise of Sword Art Online.

Count me in.

Gotta thank that show for getting this genre of RP off the ground. Would be good to have you.

Anyway, as there has been some change in plans hosting-wise, I'll PM you guys the details.

Kestrel
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ____ on Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:35 am

So awesome~ I want to be in this!
Blank

____
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rickshaw_Watcher on Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:30 pm

Kestrel wrote:I use a simple stat system. There is some math, but I made a spreadsheet that does most of it for you. Riiiiight.... Here. (though you gotta download it. Locked it so people don't accidentally mess up the formulas.)

Hmm. Yeah, that's much simpler than what I've got going on. (download as excel for conditional formatting) Maybe I should rethink some things....

Rickshaw_Watcher wrote:Also, what do you think of having the Engineer able to also fuse a machine to an enemy? Throwing a Turret to attack nearby monsters and make them hate on the Turret-ed enemy until they break the machine. Attach a healing drone to have a sort of vampire buff to player strikes. Attach a Robo-Pet to hypnotize a monster to fight for you, maybe with an hourly cool down. Perhaps a combination of all three.

Kestrel wrote:I did not plan for that but holy fuck that's awesome. This has to be a thing now :D

I thought so too but they'd probably be some really high-level skills. Glad to know you like it.

Rickshaw_Watcher
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby John Kiran on Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:57 am

I'm interested in joining this roleplay. I'm wondering if you still have spots open.

John Kiran
Member for 10 years
Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!