Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

Gabriel (2007 film) sequel RP

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

Gabriel (2007 film) sequel RP

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby sethwy91 on Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:05 pm

So, I recently "re-found" a old movie that, as the title suggests, came out in 2007. I remember watching it when it came out by accident and really liking the plot and setting created by the authors. Though, I did feel that there was a bit missing, the overall concept and ideas behind the characters and the very lore and mythos the writer and director created was a GOOD plot.

This being said, the movie is not very well know and I'd go as far as to say most people don't even know about it. It was made in Australia and released there in 2007, but we didn't get it until February of the next year. It borrows heavily from the classic concepts of angels struggling with demons, some angels being resentful of god (or "light" as it's referred to in the movie), and some angels rebelling.

For more in depth info on this story I'd say you should refer to these:
  • http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0857376/
  • http://www.gabrielmovie.com/
  • https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabriel_(film)
  • And if you decide you want to, I found the video on http://putlocker.is/, the name of the movie is just Gabriel.
Though, be warned, it is over 2 hours long. But from those 2 hours long. So make sure you have the time if you really wanna check it out.

But here, I will give you a brief summary of the plot, some of the characters, and the setting.

PLOT AND SETTING
Spoiler: show
So first off, the story is set in Purgatory, a god forsaken (no pun intended) place where angels and demons constantly fight over the souls which go there.

Though the story is a little fuzzy on why exactly someone goes there instead of just passing on to heaven or hell, I imagine since they don't really take a hard stances on morality (at least not the more vague or controversial sins, like homosexuality or gluttony), AND most of the people in the world don't appear to be strictly evil or good, I'm guessing you just had to be a less than admirable person. You had to waste your life with drugs or alcohol but never accomplish anything. Perhaps killed yourself in our world or just never cared to think about the consequences of your actions on others, but never actually did anything "wrong".

Every "cycle", something that isn't strictly defined in the movie, heaven and hell send soldiers (arch angels and fallen angels) to take Purgatory for the light or dark. In the movie, currently, Purgatory is ruled by the fallen, who have turned the whole of Purgatory (which I'm assuming, based on this, is malleable and must mirror the emotional and mental state of its inhabitants) into a giant, sprawling morass of social decay in an extremely desolate version of a metropolitan slum. Though it's only addressed at the very beginning of the movie, apparently the city is surrounded by a giant wasteland/desert.

CHARACTERS (spoiler)
While most of the characters, with the exception of one, are all dead by the end of the movie, I think it's important to give you context to the types of trials the characters faced throughout and prior to the setting of the movie, because that's the trials the characters in this roleplay will be facing.

In the beginning of the movie, Gabriel is the most recently dispatched soldier of heaven and the final hope for the light to retake Purgatory. It is also mentioned at the beginning that the angels who come to Purgatory, fallen or arch, must take a human form to walk this plane. Meaning they become vulnerable to death. Additionally, if an arch or fallen dies in Purgatory, they simply cease exist, even though it's assumed that humans must pass on to the next life (heaven or hell) once they die in Purgatory.

Purgatory is basically portrayed as a second chance for mortal souls who couldn't prove themselves worth heaven the first time.

Essentially, there isn't a ton of character development for the characters in the movie, and most of them stay stagnant throughout, with the exception of the two main protagonists, Gabriel and Amitiel/Jade. Gabriel is a new archangel in Purgatory and therefore faces the trials of dealing with being human, something that angels of course, never deal with beforehand. Amitiel was sent long before Gabriel and attempted to fight the main antagonist of the story and failed. Instead of being killed, however, the antagonist decides to tear off her wings (make her mortal) and sentence her to live as nothing more than a human in Purgatory until she dies of old age, or something else.

(ALSO, it's against the rules to kill yourself in Purgatory and still go to heaven, apparently.)

Uriel is another good example of the trials and challenges that angels face in this world, because angels do not feel fear while in heaven. But when in Purgatory, this is the main feeling they get. Forced to deal with mortality and the possibility of vanishing forever, Uriel couldn't deal with it and eventually became a hermit to survive, and that's all he does until the end of the movie, SURVIVE.

Something else worth mentioning is that archangels and fallen retain some of their power. While the exact abilities that fallen retain is never really explored, archangels retain the ability to heal themselves and others, read the thoughts of mortals through touch, and communicate with other archs and fallen through telepathy. Both fallen and archangels retain exceptional combat skills, strength, resilience, physical endurance, and reflexes. Archangels and fallen can also sense one another, though they can mask their presence from one another. But using one's powers will immediately expose you to others.

In conclusion, this movie is probably a good match for anyone who like the Underworld movies, "live action" Resident Evil movies, and any 90s-early 2000s action movies. From the overuse of the "f" word to often exaggerated action sequences, the movie itself isn't "top notch," but the plot and setting have potential. Potential I'd like to explore.

What I'd like to see is a plot centering around subsequent soldiers who are sent to Purgatory to finish what Gabriel started. Spoiler again:
Gabriel dies in the end, kind of.

I'd like the lines between good and evil blurred, demons joining forces with angels, angels falling prey to human emotions. Angels falling for demons and demons growing attached to angels. Purgatory beginning to improve but not really as heaven and hell basically turn the city into a gang war battleground. Basically, the outside (heaven, hell, Earth, etc.) no longer matters to the people trapped in Purgatory. Only survival and the simple pleasures and moments of happiness they can lick off the floor get them through the days. It is also important to remember that in this setting NO ONE IS INVULNERABLE OR IMMORTAL anymore. Everyone is vulnerable and everyone can die. How each person deals with this is all part of the fun.

I'm hoping that I can get some interest in this roleplay from some of the people who might have seen the movie or who see this, watch the movie, and liked it as much as I did.

Please respond here, and if you want, also send me a private message. I'm waiting to make an actual roleplay until I know I'll have players.
Last edited by sethwy91 on Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

sethwy91
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Lifegiver

Re: Gabriel (2007 film) sequel RP

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ValaunDae'Voth on Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:37 pm

This is literally one of my favorite movies.
I would be fucking down for this.
Image Image

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

ValaunDae'Voth
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby sethwy91 on Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:40 pm

Glad to know at least one other person has heard of it lol. What would you wanna play as? Angel or demon or human?

Would you be ok if I restricted it to only real pics? I just noticed your profile has anime characters on it.

ALSO, is that anime good? It's helsing, right? I've always wanted to check it out.

sethwy91
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ValaunDae'Voth on Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:29 pm

Hmmm, depends. Probably end up doing a demon, but I know how to make some bitchin' angels too.

Your RP dude, it's up to you. I don't really use anime pictures for things, they usually don't fit with most settings. I prefer realistic, or digital art personally.
And I'm no weaboo, so no worries.

As for Hellsing, yes. It's awesome.

They did one series that ended up diverging hardcore from the manga and the end was kinda meh. But, they did an OVA and the whole thing is just win and awesome. A good blending or badassery and comic relief.

ValaunDae'Voth
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby sethwy91 on Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:59 pm

Awesome. I generally prefer real pics. As for the possible characters, would you want to play as one of the bad guys? Or as a sort of an anti-hero? Just curious.

ALSO!!!!!! Are there any others you've played with that you think might be interested in this type of roleplay lol. Cause it looks like most people haven't heard of this movie lol.

sethwy91
Member for 11 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!