Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

Sky on Fire (need two people; sci-fi revolutionary war)

a topic in Roleplayers Wanted, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Ambassadors

Looking For Players [LFP]? Have a part to be played? Post a thread here!

Sky on Fire (need two people; sci-fi revolutionary war)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jarmatus on Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:58 am

Alright, I have a canon over at NationStates, but I've about given up on that. There simply aren't enough people.

Thus, I've decided to reboot over here, starting with 'Sky on Fire' - the founding of the first Republic to split from Earth. I need at least two people; one would be the co-founder of the Revolution and one would be a senior officer of the United Terran Authority.

Me
My character will be James Jackson, native of the terraformed moonlet of Sorban. When we'll begin, he'll be about twenty-three. Six months prior to our opening, he and a bunch of randoms founded a security consultancy on the planet of Yelan (later the capital of the Republic) and are currently in the process of secretly financing the first battalion of a revolutionary army; actually hiring the mercs hasn't started yet.

His job title is director of public relations. Basically, he gets a low-quality holocam and films the company's ads and such, then cuts them together with a cheap editing studio. He's tall and thin, being one of those annoying people who could eat a horse and not gain weight, but he's a stereotypical nerd; he's smart, he's socially okay and fairly witty in a dry sort of way, but he has low self-esteem and no confidence, and tends to talk excessively when nervous. Romantic relationships don't make him nervous, except insofar as he's absolutely terrified of getting too close to anyone for various reasons; this will take some overcoming.

Co-founder
What you do with this character is entirely up to you. However, your character's path needs to intersect with Jackson's fairly early on, and needs to merge with it - stay on his side to the end.

Senior Terran officer
Not only are you in charge of your character - who, again, is entirely up to you - you also need to decide to some extent Terran policy direction. There has to be something which spurs people to revolt, and the only real definitive point I have in mind is that Terra is doing it to the colonies that Jackson comes from.

You also need to be prepared to lose the war. After all, it's no use having the good guys, which is Jackson et al, lose. :P

---

As far as basic plot goes, I would think it goes something like this:

- Early on, that is, prior to the RP, Earth does something stupid. This is up to the Terran RPer. Whatever it is, though, it kicks off popular dissent in a big way, which is what spurs Jackson's little group of ex-students into laying the foundation stones of a revolution (at the time, they see it more as a citizens' militia, meant to protect their homes in the event of a revolution happening).

- Slightly less early on, Earth starts cracking down on security companies which could present a potential threat to the balance of power in the colonies; taxes on specific fields are raised and privileges removed. This leads into the next bit, and the popular dissent and distrust of Earth becomes a constant undercurrent. Revolution becomes a possibility, because these people are very touchy about any and all of their rights.

- Just before our RP starts, some idiot decides to go out with a platoon of guards from Jackson's company. He trespasses on an Earth base and gets cut down. The personal shock is what spurs Jackson's company to actively start working on behalf of the Revolutionary factions.

- Our RP starts when the local cops (probably newly rotated in and thus without knowledge of the area) decide the Company needs to go. More specifically, we start a couple of in-game minutes before a SWAT team drops in to clean out the place. This is the Terran player's responsibility to write.

- Insert the rest of the RP here; we'll see how it develops.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Jarmatus
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Re: Sky on Fire (need two people; sci-fi revolutionary war)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MadLarkin on Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:48 am

I'm up, ill join as either side so count me in. Although, I think we should open it up to other people eventually. once the sides are set and story is steady. I don't know if that's your idea just it'll make it a little more exciting. Ill await with baited breath

-Larks

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

MadLarkin
Member for 15 years
Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jarmatus on Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:52 am

Larks: You're greenlit to join - but do you mind choosing your side? I'm not very good with these things. :)

Everyone else:

- Romance RP will not be specifically prohibited. As per site rules there is to be no overtly sexual RPing, but other aspects of a relationship are quite permitted to show up. As such, if you're uncomfortable with the relationships of your own or others' characters, please reconsider joining.

- Please don't go inactive. Please bear with me if I decide to be a flaming hypocrite and go inactive. >.>

- Everything but the most blatantly stupid material will be included in the canon whose beginning is marked by this RP. I will be playing the environment; I will post here if a part of your contribution cannot be included, for this reason or for any other.

Jarmatus
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MadLarkin on Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:59 am

Alright, Ill choose the Senior Terran Officer, im a fan of the brass. Even if i have to be put down by the revolution. Ill edit later to put in some backstory to my character and the Terran Army./

-Larks

MadLarkin
Member for 15 years
Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Phantom Rom on Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:39 am

I'll play the co founder, if no one else wants to. this sounds like a good rp, but what exactly do you mean about the co founder of the revolution, is he/ she some one who works with jackson, or what, can you give me a bit more detail please? (also, if any one else would like to be in the rp, the I'll give up my spot for them)
Anywhere is walking distance, if you’ve got the time.

“A friend is one who walks in when others walk out.” [Walter Winchell]

“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.” [Leo Buscaglia]

Phantom Rom
Member for 15 years
Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby NorthernSoul on Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:43 pm

Wouldn't mind being the cofounder but again, I'd need a little more info. And this is only if Phantom is prepared to give up his/her place, of course.

NorthernSoul
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jarmatus on Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:53 pm

The cofounder will be working closely with Jackson. The point where the two meet is probably some time after the SWAT engagement at company headquarters, which I'll write solo - so whoever is going to be the cofounder can show up right after I'm done with the intro.

Jackson is an average strategist but a natural tactician; it's up to you the cofounder to decide how your traits complement or impact those. I'd invert them - natural strategist, average tactician - but that's just me. Strategy won't play a very large part in the opening days of the Revolution, because the starting strength is only perhaps four platoons - one hundred and twenty people - but as the Revolution grows that trait will become increasingly important. In addition, as cofounder, you need to handle recruitment.

Also, this RP is open to new characters - but they won't be allowed to join until after Larks, I and the cofounder have established themselves.

Jarmatus
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Phantom Rom on Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:59 pm

ok then, thanks for the info. Northern, you can be the cofounder if you'd still like to. go right ahead, i'll take a secondary chatacter later in the rp.

Phantom Rom
Member for 15 years
Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jarmatus on Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:59 am

Well, since we now have a Terran officer, a cofounder and another character, there's nothing, strictly speaking, to keep me from initiating my part of the RP. Link will be posted when I'm done writing.

EDIT: sky-fire-semi-closed-t20607.html <- First post done. Second post tomorrow.

Jarmatus
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby NorthernSoul on Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:24 pm

Cool, would you like a profile for the cofounder or shall I just jump straight in after your second post?

NorthernSoul
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Diedra on Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:52 pm

This sounds incredibly interesting. If you want another side charrie I'd love to join - as some kind of Terran agent or second or a pilot for the resisance. Whatever you need more.
"We're meddlesome. We tell people what to do, what to think.Don't run, don't walk.

We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right."
- River Tam, Serenity

Image Image Image Image Image

Diedra
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jarmatus on Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:45 pm

Northern, profile here would be nice, but if you've not the time it's no biggie. Just jump right in after I'm done with the second post - I'll set up a character cue for you.

Diedra, you're greenlit to join up. I'd be happy to take you on as a resistance member.

Jarmatus
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Diedra on Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:44 am

Shiny :D (Heehee, too much Firefly). But if you don't mind I might double later as an officer... I've got a charrie who's great at being wrong XP If that's okay.

Diedra
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby NorthernSoul on Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:00 am

Aggy Nordstrom had never taken a lot of interest in her father's business. After all, why should she? Investing in security companies was hardly exciting compared to teenage years spent hopping from system to system and party to party. But, having reached twenty-one and come of age, it was apparently time to grow up. Intending for his only daughter to inherit his vast business empire, Erik Nordstrom set about teaching her its ins and outs. She is a quick learner, he has to admit, and her energy reminds him of his own when he was younger. It is just a shame that it isn't directed towards where she will need to concern herself once he is gone.

And so, this is how Aggy found herself sitting in an empty SorbSec waiting room one fateful evening. One leg of her slender, androgenous frame is crossed over the other and her head, with its shock of blonde, cropped hair rests against the back of her chair as she waits for her father to return from a board meeting. She is at ease, as she generally is, even in an unfamiliar place and happy in her own skin. A little too happy, perhaps, as she can be overconfident and has the tendency to react badly to criticism. From a lifetime rarely spent alone, Aggy's true talent lies at second-guessing people. For no matter how big or faceless a company or organisation, if you go far enough back, there will always be a person calling the shots behind it all.

Hope that's alright- I wasn't sure exactly what you were looking for. Let me know!

NorthernSoul
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jarmatus on Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:08 pm

Sure, that's fine - but how would Aggy react if a bunch of GTP-STOG troopers burst in?

EDIT: Also you, Diedra.

Jarmatus
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Diedra on Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:34 pm

Also me what? (Sorry, can't help being a dumb blond occasionally.)

Diedra
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jarmatus on Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:52 am

Nah, sorry, it's my fault. I meant you were greenlit to use that character.

Jarmatus
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby NorthernSoul on Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:29 am

Er... She'd probably get her father out then try to flee the building?

NorthernSoul
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Diedra on Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:14 am

Mkay. Should I wait for anyone else to post my intro?

Diedra
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby NorthernSoul on Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:18 am

I think there's a second intro post from Jarmatus that we're waiting for.

NorthernSoul
Member for 17 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!