Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

Beyond the Realms

a topic in Roleplayers Wanted, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Ambassadors

Looking For Players [LFP]? Have a part to be played? Post a thread here!

Beyond the Realms

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby IronPhoenix on Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:03 pm

You enter a dark corridor aged by the centuries of inactivity, evident as the pungent smell of mildew and stale air is wafted into everyone’s nostrils. At the end of the corridor there are three levers on the left wall and a bar gate halting your advance. It appears you must choose a lever to activate the gate, but there being three and no other object around to be activated as a device it would suggest that two of them are a trap, or at least false.

With no one in your party being professional trap disablers or detectors, you decide to pull one of the levers at random. You choose poorly, the floor beneath you gives way as your party plummets into a small reservoir of water, unharmed but certainly wet.

You see another corridor leading out of the reservoir room, and although at first dark, up ahead you can see a dim light illuminating the rest of the way. As you approach, the light seems brighter and by its end you find yourselves in room the size of at least two houses put together, and inside is exactly what you journeyed here for: mountains of gold and precious gems enough to buy a palace and stuff it with food for a life time.

But alas, before you could even begin to try and formulate a way of transporting your fortune, your party hears an awful and less than human moan reverberate within the room. It is only now that you notice a casket within the treasure’s epicenter, and with an explosive display its lid soars to the ceiling, before returning to earth with a snapping thud that would make most check their ears. Emerging from the casket is what appears to be an emaciated figure, which on second glance you easily notice that his flesh is sickeningly thin and obviously rotting.

The animate corpse is garbed in tattered yet ornate robe supposedly for ceremony, and given the circumstances it is rather safe to assume that this is his burial tomb that you have disturbed. His body ascends into the air hovering over the casket by a power you know not of, and in a chilling and authoritative voice he bellows, “INFIDELS! YOU WOULD PERVERT MY SLUMBER WITH YOUR PRESENCE? NOW YOU WILL NEVER AGAIN SEE THE LIGHT OF DAY!”

Hello and welcome to Beyond the Realms! I hope you enjoyed that little demonstration, cliché and incredibly cheesy as it was, but that was to show you the sorts of things you can expect from this RP. Although you’re probably wanting a better clarification on what that actually means.

What it boils down to is good old fashioned, fair and balanced roleplaying.

It will take place in a persistent world largely based on the settings of Dungeons and Dragons, and in fact most of the races and archetypes in the world are based on the well known RPG, but here’s the kicker:

You don’t have to play as any of them.

That’s right, you can either create a character from the already established world, make one purely from scratch, or even a character based on a fandom, as long as they are original. You cannot however take on characters that already exist, or make carbon copies of them to where the only difference is the name and a slight tweak of maybe their personality or abilities. Certain fandoms will not be allowed due to potential OP characters, the last thing we need is a goddamn Super Saiyan or kryptonian running around, so make sure their grounded ok?

This RP will be part narrated, part sandbox. Your characters will start off in the setting and will have options on how to interact with the world. Depending on what you choose I may create a flexible quest line based on the characters’ personalities, histories, and abilities. There is no specific “end game” yet, as in there is no one goal all characters have to meet, like killing that evil wizard in the tower and that’s it. Your character’s story ends when you want it to end, or if they die, whichever comes first.

Quest lines are open to change and evolve as they go on, and they can range from retrieving objects in dungeons, to political missions or even exploring character pasts. This allows for a real, organic and in-depth way of storytelling wrapped around the characters and constantly testing them to see how they change and react.

I will be your GM , and unlike most RPs I will NOT be joining as a player myself, rather I will be taking the traditional route of creating settings, acting out all NPCs, and refereeing the game. Though at times I can be critical, know that I am not “out to get anyone”, and will conduct the game with fairness.

Currently there are 10 character slots. Notice I said character slots instead of player slots. Each player is allowed a maximum of two characters at once, meaning we could have 5 people playing all with 2 characters, 10 people playing 1 character each, or any variation in-between. Depending on how far along we get and observing how comfortable people are with the amount of players, in the future I may add or subtract slots.

KEEP IN MIND THAT IF YOU TAKE ON 2 CHARACTERS, THAT TAKES A POTENTIAL SPOT FROM SOMEONE ELSE.

Apps will be taken in first come first serve, however if an app is denied and someone else posts theirs that is satisfactory, then it is they who will get the spot. Think of it as a job application, the person with most well written and appealing one is the most likely to get the job.

THIS IS A HIGH STAKES RP, MEANING YOUR CHARACTER CAN DIE. But don’t whine about it, you can make another if you would like, however it must ABSOLUTELY have very little common with the deceased one, no avenging relatives with the same powers or any of that crap, completely from scratch.

Or else.

You should also know that because this is a persistent world that you are in, there are CONSEQUENSES to your actions and even inactions. You can’t go around slapping babies with a ladle without the NPCs coming after your ass, and if you do something really stupid it could get your character killed.

ADVICE: Make sure your character isn’t very alike to any others people have here. If we already have a stoic swordsman with a dark past we most certainly won’t need another, and I may deny your app upon that premise. You need to be both original and separate from everyone else.

You must first submit an app in the form of a PM to me, NOT in Character Application. After you’ve submitted your app I will go over it, essentially “grading” it. I will then make a PM you back saying whether or not it is accepted, if it isn’t quite up to snuff I will point out whatever needs tweaking or improvement, at which time you can go back and edit the needed areas.

Character Progression

The characters that you submit and are accepted are not set, not in the least. They are subject to change as the RP goes on depending on their experiences, what they acquire and what they encounter on their journeys. Say if they were cursed by an affliction that changed the nature or added to their powers with a negative aspect, the character sheet would be updated. The same goes for any items you acquire, likely they will be added to your Possessions section.

Loot

You can’t have a good RPG without some kind of reward for all of your troubles right? Lucky for you your character will have plenty of chances to either score some gold, maybe a potion, weapons and items. You might even get some magical shit if you’re lucky. However you’r not going to receive epic level equipment right away, you need to earn by RPing well, and the longer your character stays in the better stuff you’r going to get. And it isn’t limited to things you can carry, you can win mounts, following NPCs, and even land. Work hard and long enough and you may be rewarded for it.

This RP will also feature musical accompaniment, playlists for every occasion. Starting with the Official Beyond the Relams playlist!

Q&A

Q: Isn’t this exactly like Multiverse?

A: I didn’t exactly put “original” in the tags now did I? There are some major differences however. For one thing I’m not allowing just anyone to jump into this, like say add an avatar for the character app and nothing else to just wander around looking pretty. We’re looking for meaty, in-depth looks into characters and their interactions with the world as well as the people in it; it’s for this reason why not that many will be allowed to participate initially, to create a more “intimate” atmosphere.

Q: Wait, exactly what kind of character can I make?

A: Any kind you like. As long as it isn’t a character from established fiction or a piss poor copy of one with only slight differences. It doesn’t even have to look remotely human.

Q: So I can be some kind insect cyborg with a split personality?

A: If you can explain such a thing believably than yes.

Q: Can I be a pony from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic? :D

A: You can even make it a cyborg too.

Q: Can I be an Anthropomorphic character?

A: We already have humanoid dragons as a major race in this game, you can be whatever the hell you want, it just has to be believable for what it is.

Q: How powerful can my character be?

A: Depends, generally however it’s recommended that they are no more powerful than any class of D&D. They have to be able to bleed.

Q: Do I have any say in what the content will be?

A: As a matter of fact you do, I’m always open to input and your ideas. You will have significant say in how this RP shapes out.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

IronPhoenix
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Completionist Lifegiver

Re: Beyond the Realms

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby IronPhoenix on Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:08 pm

Let’s lay down the general rules as that is one of the prerequisites in running any RP.

Rules

1.Thou shalt not disobey me or test my patience. I am your GM and while I even admit I can make mistakes you had better point them out when you can, because after I finalize a decision that’s all there is to it. I’m a fun GM, but don’t push your luck with me, my leniency has its limits.

2.Thou shalt not godmod. I alone possess the power to change the nature of the world around you, what you encounter in it, and decide how far you can stretch your abilities without cheating. For every time you godmod a strike will made against your character, upon the third strike the almighty ban-hammer shall be sent down to smite ye off the face of the map.

3.Thou shalt not meta-game. This will be shown with only slightly more leniency due to the fact this can happen by accident, however I will be keeping a close eye out for it and you should keep an even closer one. You are forbidden from using your player knowledge in-game, characters may not be endowed with knowledge they did not naturally acquire on their own. This includes changing their tactics in combat at the last moment when they had no in-game warning whatsoever.

4.Thou shalt not power-game. I alone can move other people’s characters to different locations, even so I have no say in their reactions and overall decisions, the only characters you can control are your own. Everyone else’s and all NPCs are off limits.

5.Thou wilst use proper grammar and spelling. Posts are to be three paragraphs minimum, it’s not hard. I should not for any reason need to enforce grammar upon anyone, I will assume you’ve evolved beyond a fifth grade reading level, so no 1337 speak, one-liners, or “script” posts

i.e.

Me: i do that and go this wai.

Just no.

6.Thou shalt not kill other people’s characters without their explicit permission.

7.Thou wilst keep all OOC conversations within the OOC. There shall be no need for OOC bubbles ((hiya)) in the IC.

8.Thou wilst use common sense. Just because something isn’t specifically mentioned in the rules it doesn’t give you a loop-hole to exploit. Any form of foul play will be more than just severely frowned upon.

9.Thou wilst keep romances at or below PG-13 levels. You know as well as I do that smut isn’t allowed here.

10.Thou shalt not play as canon characters from established fiction.

11.Thou wilst make interesting, complex and in-depth characters. Yes I am in fact making it a rule for your characters to have real depth. A little harsh? Possibly, but I have a much easier time making interesting and fun quest lines when I know the many avenues a single character can go. I need to have as much of a feel for them as you do, or at least close.

12.Thou shalt not be a douche-bag. You must not only show respect to me but also your fellow RPers. Constant badgering of others within the OOC or meta-gamed shenanigans against other PCs will not be tolerated. Be nice or be gone, simple as that.

13.Thou shalt not make “jack of all trades” types. No character is good at everything, because no character has time to become good at everything and usually have certain preferences. So you can’t have a character that spent all of his life learning all forms of weaponry, all forms of magic, and is a master thief, that’s just bullshit. Even if you could make him 52 and say he began honing those skills since he was a child, it’s too much of a stretch, no one purposefully learns all of those skills, and coming up with convoluted ways to make it plausible doesn’t help you. A single character can have multiple and varied skills, but bottom line is they can’t excel at too many things; it’s not fair to everyone else.

14.Thou wilst make realistic posts. Make sure your character does what is in their character to do, no more, no less.

On Combat

1. You may not auto-kill or auto-hit anything unless I say so. I will handle enemy attacks and responses, don’t worry I’ll always give you a fair chance, I won’t put your character in a situation they can’t get out of.

2. Battles must be dynamic and never one sided, even against auto-killable enemies. Take a hit occasionally, you won’t be auto-killed I assure you.

3. Every action you take must be described in detail, none of that “I dodged” or “I blocked” crap. Tell me HOW you performed the action. i.e. “I bring my shield up in an attempt to cushion the blow”. Also be sure NOT make your actions seem final, like they happened and there was nothing to stop them, this goes double for any PvP.

4. This one is more of a guideline than a rule but whenever you’re in a group, never split the party, it doesn’t end well.

Character Creation Rules

Yup, there are even rules on creating your character, don’t worry their more to clarify what you should do than just limitations.

No under the age of 15 is allowed to go on these adventures; that would be silly. In addition anyone of this minimum is not allowed to have a high skill level set of any kind. i.e. 26 year old expert magician vs. 15 year old magician apprentice.

Race

If not a race invented by your own mind whatever racial abilities and attributes from the fiction they are based on better be accurate. I will research it myself to follow up on it.

Appearance

I need more than a few details, I want everything, muscle structure, face shape, marks, everything. I need a real three dimensional picture in my head. You may NOT use a picture instead. Only AFTER you submit your app and it has been accepted will I allow you to add a picture.

Weapons

Going to need a decent amount of detail here, and even more so if the weapon is unique. Much like in appearance I’m going to need a fleshed out mental picture of it, go into dimensions, the kind of material it’s made out of, custom features. But absolutely nothing OP. I have a sharp eye for these things so don’t think you can slip it by me.

About guns:

The common problem with this weapon type is the obvious auto-kill effect, and we can’t very well pretend that bullets aren’t lethal even when they hit non-vital areas, so I will be reluctant to accept any character wielding one. Automatic weapons are forbidden, in fact no weapon with a high rate of fire is allowed as well for weapons at or close to .50 caliber, but certain rifles and pistols MAY, and that’s a big MAY, be permitted provided they are of low rate of fire. You probably want to get creative with fire arms that use a different source of ammunition (though still finite) like non-lethal laser beams or something.

Armor

If they have none just put N/A. But like weapons if your character has armor I’m going to need some insight on what kind it is and if it has any special features.

Possessions

First of all possessions cannot have any combat applications, that would make them weapons instead. Other than that they’re pretty much only limited to objects one can carry on their person and don’t necessarily have to be functional, like a necklace that has sentimental value to the character. If an item does have a non-combatant power it must have limits, like say someone has a pendant that can heal, its usage may have to limited to a few times a day or can only heal cuts and bruises.

Power/Magic/Skills

This is the part where most people will have trouble, and one of the areas I will scrutinize the most. For the most part you have to remember one thing:
LIMITSLIMITSLIMITSLIMITSLIMITSLIMITSLIMITSLIMITSLIMITSLIMITSLIMITSLIMITSLIMITS

Oh, and did I say limits?

You should know what is OP and what isn’t, and if you’re not sure, downgrade the power just incase. It’s better to have and underpowered character in RPs than the opposite, a lot times it’s more interesting that way, and remember I won’t throw anything at you that you can’t handle.

I need you to describe your characters abilities in detail, maybe even categorize them into different sections. The extent of their abilities must be expressed and the specific effect of them upon targets.

Try to think of it as…well, making up skills for an RPG, some may be passive, like blacksmithing, or combative. I’m giving you a crazy amount of freedom here so get creative…but also fair.

On things like flight, healing factors, and other sustained abilities:

Remember, limits, I may allow a character that can fly, but for only short distances or a limited amount of time. The same kind of rule applies to any sustained ability.

Battle Strengths

What combative abilities do they excel at? What is a physical advantage(s) that separates them from everyone else? You needn’t go too far into detail here, but don’t give a vague description either. More or less list combat skills they are best at.

Battle Weaknesses

What is a physical weakness they have? And no, an “unwillingness to fight” doesn’t count, that belongs in personality. The weakness must be corporeal, like superman’s kryptonite or a werewolf to silver. A tactical disadvantage to your character that they cannot overcome completely, and that they have little defense against. This will require specifics.

Personality

Now they don’t have to be overly complex but they do need to be fleshed out, to feel like this is the kind of person you would meet in real life and come to know them as. THIS CANNOT BE SUMMED UP IN ONE SENSTENCE. It should go over their personal constitution, and even some of the nuances they have such as likes and dislikes. It should be a well written description of the person, what they stand for, and what they are likely to do in situations, whether their tender-loving law-abiders or complete assholes, all that matters is that their personality is believable. I’ll be paying close attention to this one.

History

And this is the one I’ll be paying the CLOSEST attention to. History’s job is to explain how the characters personality developed, and how they acquired their abilities. Use logic and be original. Treat them like a human being (so to speak) and understand that they are products of their environment just as we all are, it is in fact best you fill this part out first, the rest of the app comes a lot easier if you do.

And remember to be original.

No orphans.

Ok, you can have orphans but don’t make it so that they weren’t raised by living relatives. Avoid clichés like the plague if you can. Whatever their history is, it needs to be believable, and everything you put here needs to be relevant to the point the RP starts.

Other

No real rules here, in fact you can leave out Other if there isn’t anything else about your character that needs to be known. Other however does give you the power to add anything else to your app such as theme songs, birth signs, and whatever else you would like to add that falls under misc. Just don’t put anything that conflicts with the rest of the app.

And finally here's the link.
Beyond the Realms

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

IronPhoenix
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby IronPhoenix on Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:14 am

Still spots left to go around. We're looking for dedicated and creative people for this.

IronPhoenix
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby RedRaine on Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:54 pm

This week's Roleplayers Wanted of the Week goes to:

Beyond the Realms

Your Roleplayers Wanted will be stickied with the 'Featured:' title for an entire week!

Congratulations!
~Still trying to fit all of my dreams in a pokeball.

RedRaine
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Contributor Lifegiver Visual Appeal Greeter Concierge

Re: Featured: Beyond the Realms

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby IronPhoenix on Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:20 am

Awesome! I've never won anything before!

That suddenly made me sad...

But now the Happy's back =D

IronPhoenix
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby utahann on Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:10 pm

Your rp looks awesome
Have a nice day!

utahann
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!