Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Forum Upgrade and its Repercussions

a topic in Announcements, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Ambassadors

Announcements are made here! You can read the archive or browse the latest.

Forum Upgrade and its Repercussions

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Skuld on Mon May 21, 2007 7:42 am

Alright, guys.

If you couldn't tell we went through a forum upgrade last night, as Sinful Soul mentioned in his last announcement. Because of this, our forum is going to be a much stronger, faster and overall more effective tool for roleplaying and in our recruiting quest. It has, on the other hand, also brought with it a bit of work for the staff. There are a lot of small things that must be fixed, tweaked and addressed- we know this.

Chat is one of those things.
I promise, we are working on this. As of the moment there is no way to get to #GWing from the forum. My suggestion, though I understand that not all people will be able to go with this option, would be to download a program to use. Personally, I'm an X-Chat fan, but I know there are many, many more. That is the only way I can promise your chat experience to be back up and running in the very near future.

Other than that, we need you guys to bare with us. We are working hard, and there is a lot of "behind the scenes" work that must be taken care of to make this upgrade the effective effort we hoped for. Give us a bit of time, and we will get things running as smoothly as possible. If you have any questions, comments, concerns or suggestions, please go ahead and leave us a note in here, or in the Help forum.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation, and welcome to the new RPGateway!

Skuld
"Spartans! Prepare for glory!"

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Skuld
GWC Veteran
Member for 19 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Contributor Lifegiver

Re: Forum Upgrade and its Repercussions

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Edge on Mon May 21, 2007 1:28 pm

What kind of chat programs are there to use for those of us who don't go off looking for chat programs?

By X-Chat do you mean X-Fire program?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Edge
GWC Veteran
Member for 19 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kouketsu on Mon May 21, 2007 3:45 pm

For those that don't want to go through an external client, you can also connect through this for now:

http://www.surrealchat.net/chat/GWing - Java chat for the #GWing channel.
http://www.surrealchat.net/chat/OOC - Java chat for the #OOC channel.

Or just in general: http://www.surrealchat.net/chat/<name of channel here>

Kouketsu
Member for 18 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Midnight on Tue May 22, 2007 11:34 pm

Man this new set up is a shocker compared to the old one. I got on and WAM I was on the floor. (figuritvly speaking of course)

Midnight
Member for 18 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Selik on Fri May 25, 2007 5:39 pm

To be entirely honest , i was upset by this change. Tru it will be smoother and all that but before it had the look of a RPG site. Now it looks like , no offense her , a big fancy posh load of crap!!

PS. plus the scantily clad red head is gone.....awwwww :(
A wise man doesn't need advice and a fool refuses to take it...

Selik
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Skuld on Fri May 25, 2007 6:55 pm

As I tried to explain in my first post, there are some settings that are priorities. The look of the site is, unfortunately, not on the top of the list. We are working on it, and it will be changed, but we must remember that there are many other features that you would rather have. Trust me.

So, again, bare with us, and all shall be fixed as we find the time and energy. I promise.

Skuld
GWC Veteran
Member for 19 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zee All Knowing Peacock on Fri May 25, 2007 9:03 pm

The look isn't that bad if you ask me...
"Some things are important. Others are not. Yet all would claim a mortal's attention. It falls to each of us to remain ever mindful, and thus purchase wisdom in the threading of possibilities. It is our common failing that we are guided by our indifference to eventualities. The moment pleases, the future can await consideration." - Steven Erikson's Midnight Tides

Zee All Knowing Peacock
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kasurin on Fri May 25, 2007 9:33 pm

The forum is so much cleaner and sleak; it's really eye-appealing. I don't mind this change. : 3

Kasurin
Member for 17 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LordSaladin on Sat May 26, 2007 6:00 am

I must agree that the new layout and aesthetics of the site are good.

As Ichigomama mentioned, it looks cleaner and sleeker, it also looks more professional and I feel that the it will serve as a marketing tool on its own. An attractive site is something that will make people want to return, and whilst the previous layout and aesthetics were nice; I feel that the site now looks more mature.

I think it would be a shame if we change it, as the colours and font also make it easier on the eye, especially when typing posts. However, obviously, the decision lies with the Administrators of the site, and I know they will do what is best. We must also bear in mind that this layout is the default phpBB3 layout, so there is bound to be more themes made in time, and perhaps those themes that are made, if Eric doesn't make his own ((Do you do that, as phpBB3 is open-source?)), which will look just as professional.

As well as the more immediately noticable changes, such as the appearance of the site, the new features found in phpBB3 are fantastic. I know that for the Mods and Admins, their Control Panel is much more intuitive and organised. And many of you will have noticed that the User Control Panel is greatly improved, giving us all much better control of things like our PMs and avatars etc.

It has been a long time coming, definitely, but with phpBB3, the site can certainly take itself to new levels. The wait was certainly worth, and whilst the initial problems/issues are a bit of an irritance, once they are sorted great things will happen, I can tell that much.

I know that the Mods and Admins have been working even harder than usual to fix everything that will ensure the site can be operated smoothly, for example, the chat. A lot of the MAJOR issues have been in the background, but as Skuld mentioned, once they are finished, the smaller issues will be fixed.

We can certainly trust our site management to utilise this new forum to the best of their ability to ensure our experience is the best it can be.

So, we all need to be patient and sit in anticipation of all the improvements that will certainly come our way.

I know I am looking forward to them all, and support our staff wholeheartedly in this, trusting their abilities, which have been proven to us many times anyway.

Lord Saladin
Please tell me now what life is, Please tell me now what love is... Again, tell me what life is.

Tiko says: Saladin: Damn it, leave my hole alone.

LordSaladin
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 18 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Contributor Greeter World Builder Arc Warden Visual Appeal Tipworthy Lifegiver Person of Interest Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Midnight on Wed May 30, 2007 10:35 am

Well I must agree with Saladin. This does look good and more mature. But my only peive about the look is that the brightness burns abit.

Midnight
Member for 18 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby .Enzeru on Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:07 pm

Edge wrote:What kind of chat programs are there to use for those of us who don't go off looking for chat programs?

By X-Chat do you mean X-Fire program?

He's talking about a Chat client. > http://www.xchat.org/

Xfire is a Gaming Messenger client. > http://www.xfire.com/

And as much as I like the new PHPbb3 -- it's a little slower than the original. It needs an ExtremeStyles Mod quickly made for it to process the PHP files in a faster manner. <3

But it's alright. Aside from the laggish banner at the top and the overall bulk of everything, it's a little cleaner. But, meh ... I've admin'd PHP forums for years; I just like bb2 better. =/ I'm bias.

Also - you're missing your Alignment tags, kids. ;]

.Enzeru
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Azamiko on Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:40 am

Okies...I'll check this out...O.O;...

I think the site looks nice and neat. Though, it kind of annoys me how popular blue is. ;-; What's wrong with green and orange...?
'By any means necessary. Heh, that's when your ideals outweigh your conscience. The question is: are you willing to give up yourself--your idea of who you are, of what is right--to help other people?"

Azamiko
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zee All Knowing Peacock on Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:21 pm

Say it sista!...... Sorry, really, I am.

Zee All Knowing Peacock
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Azamiko on Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:26 am

...? Sorry for what? You didn't say anything rude.

What about a nice dark red. It's not really a 'girly' color, and it's different enough to be interesting while still being simple and non-distracting.

Azamiko
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:08 pm

.Enzeru, the benefit that the ExtremeStyles mod gave phpBB2 was a caching system, which is actually built in to phpBB3. We're only on RC2 right now, so we can't really make any final determinations on speed. RPGateway seems to run a bit slower, but that's because I'm clearing the cache like twice a day. :x We'll see, though. The phpBB team says RC2 is supposed to be seeing a big speed increase on medium to large boards, but a decrease on smaller boards due to the total number of queries in use. Caching queries doesn't do much when the data return is smaller than the cache itself.

Azamiko, I promise we'll provide all sorts of color styles for you in the future - right now, we're sticking with this one, as our priorities are elsewhere. I like the idea of a red scheme though... ::Wanders off to mess around with CSS3 and rgb support...::
Alvin Toffler wrote:The illiterates of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.

Take a moment and consider joining my Patreon group, where I share personal development updates and plans for the future...

Remæus
Architect
Member for 19 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge Cult Leader Lifegiver Storyteller Donated! Anomaly Hunter Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Azamiko on Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:33 am

Eh? O.O I didn't mean to sound like I was criticizing...It was just a random suggestion, thrown out there...

Azamiko
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:28 am

I know. :) Oh, and we've deployed a few of our new color schemes.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 19 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge Cult Leader Lifegiver Storyteller Donated! Anomaly Hunter Giver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!