Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

Orion's Institute for Homo Magicus(sign up)

a topic in Out of Character, a part of the RPG forum.

Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Orion's Institute for Homo Magicus(sign up)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Hal_Wannabe on Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:22 pm

Welcome to the Orion Institute, one of many academies around the world for the training of young magical beings, be you warlock, druid, witch, or priest.

Your abilites are great, but greater are your responsibilities.

For Eons our kind have protected the world from incursions from the Aether Realms.

We protect them, but we are not of them.

Now it is time to prepare.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In this roleplay you will take the form of students in an academy that prepares you to fight the creatures who come from outside our world.

Rules

You are Human, but if you wish to spice up your backstory with creature ancestors, feel free. This is not to have an effect with the game. So no random claws or horns or giant teeth, you look human, and are human, for the most part.

You can be from any magic using discipline you wish. Some may be Shinto priests, some may be druids.

Your power comes from one source, Darkness, nature, cold etc, go wild in making them up. Have fun with it.

There are three types of students

Trackers, those who can feel magical incursions and track them down to the source.

Hiders, these people use their magic to hide the incursions and block the escape of magical entities.

Fighters, these people use their magic to combat the magical menaces.

All students will choose one of these categories as a specialty and be given minor training in the other two.

If this becomes popular I will later work out a secondary setup, but for now, it only takes place in school

So here's yer skeleton

Name
Magical Tradition
Nature of magic
Role
Appearance
Biography
Age (no age limit)

I am open to suggestions, so if you have an idea to improve this, let me know.

I am the GM, to you, my name is HeadMaster

IN CHARACTER
Last edited by Hal_Wannabe on Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Card Captor Sakura ~ KAWAIIIII!
And for those wondering, yes I am a guy, yes I do read romance, and yes, I am Straight.

Mistress Faye, my laser tits accidentally fired and melted the cash register. ~ Questionable Content

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Hal_Wannabe
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Lifegiver

Re: Orion's Institute for Homo Magicus(sign up)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby thepsycoman on Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:02 pm

Haha i love the "Homo Magicus", Scientific names FTW

Name: Alan Pericoloso

Magical Tradition: Warlock

Nature of magic: Demon fire, A highly offensive ink black fire that is much stronger then normal fire, It seems this fire is too strong because who ever (Other then the user) it touches it burns without the users permission.

Role: Fighter

Appearance: 6 ft, Broad shouldered, Well muscled (And looks it), Jet black hair that goes down to eyes, He has strong and unnerving ice blue eyes, Very pale.

Wears: Pure black button up collared shirt with a flame design at the bottom, He has matching shorts but with the design at the top.

Biography: When Alan was around the age of ten he lost his mother in a house fire, Alan's father had cursed the gods every day for the rest of his life after her death because if he and Alan had been home they could of stopped the fire in its tracks, Alan's father had fire magic and his mother had shadow magic (Personally i believe in shadow and darkness being the same) while Alan was given the combination of the two which is a dark or demon fire.

When Alan was 13 his father died he died in a way that could only make you think that the gods were angry from his curses, Alan had been outside on his motorbike when something made him look up, Coming from the sky was a meteor the size of about four of his houses, By the time it hit the its landing spot which was the house and his father who was asleep it was about the same size as the house, The explosion from the impact had nocked Alan off his bike and when he eventually got back all that was left of his house was a crater. Not long after this (Hours not days) The institute came looking for him and took him in.

Last edited by thepsycoman on Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To kill or not to kill.... Hardly even a question.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

thepsycoman
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Hal_Wannabe on Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:19 pm

Accepted but please change the height, minus the magic I want to keep it in the realms of reality, and realistically, to be that tall at that age probably is a sign of gigantism, if you wish to add a magical explanation for your size, feel free to do so, otherwise, be a victim of gigantism, and as such please take a suitable symptom from any online list, or, change your size, This is a request, not a condition.

PS The term Homo Magicus is actually ripped off of Homo Magi, which is the subspecies that interbred with homo sapien in either the DC or Marvel universe,

Hal_Wannabe
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby thepsycoman on Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:39 pm

Ok ill take my size down to 6ft because I'm nearly that and I'm 14.

Yes Homo sapien is the scientific name for humans so it would stand to reason that Homo Magicus or Magi is simply a scientific name for something that doesn't exist.

Edit: Sorry I'm full science geek, My friends always get annoyed because i refuse to even consider a possibility that magic might be real which it cant possibly be, I agree with them that it would be cool if it was real but it isn't real so who cares lol.
Last edited by thepsycoman on Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thepsycoman
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby lyssaisanaeroplane on Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:41 pm

Name: Kiara (Kiki) Viasco
Magical Tradition:Witch
Nature of magic: Spirit: Kiara has the ability to contact the spirit world, uses the spirits to her will. Usually, she can call onto spirits or ghost, dark or light, that can virtually rip apart a creature. They may scream insanely high, hurtle things at the creature, and son. Also, Kiara can use her spirit to take over the creatures, sometimes, and make it kill itself. Either by stabbing, falling, so on and so forth. Furthermore, she can have the spirits talks through her body. Some may call her a "host" during this stage.
Role:Fighte
Appearance:I'm going to do a picture and a small description.
Kiara has an hourglass shape and voluptuous assets. She has ice blue eyes that turn white when she is using her powers. Her skin is a light tan that accents her toned blonde hair. She adorns her face with black eyeliner and mascra, pink lipstick, and a shining blush on her cheeks. She generally wears regular fitted black tees and a pair of light jeans. Also, she wear either black moccasin flats or her black ballerina flats.

Biography: Kiki was born to Marianna Viasco and Willson Viasco on September 23. At night Kiara wouldn't sleep but stay awake screaming and pointing to the empty doorway. During the day she stayed sleeping and her parents assumed something was wrong with her. Yet, eventually they allowed her to live the way she wished.

As she carried through her adoloscent years she'd show evidence of her powers; she would become possesed or talk to the spirits. With this her parents disowned her and turned her on the street. Her she mastered her powers on her own. She lived with her powers, and used them to help her survive. Soon enough she was accepted into Orion's Institute and now her life has changed. She's....becoming normal or...whatever she defines normal as.
Last edited by lyssaisanaeroplane on Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Our forever is together.

lyssaisanaeroplane
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Hal_Wannabe on Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:09 pm

Alright, I like the thought, but I fail to see how you could fight magical beasts with channeled spirits, could you be more specific? I can however see it working well for a tracker, kind of like an instant call tree, something pops up, the spirits send the call down the line to you. Oooh I just thought of how you could do it, obviously magical beings would have spirits too, you could learn to combat their spirits instead of their bodies.

You know what accepted, I do want you to go into more detail on the combat portion of her powers, but, that can wait.

Also psycoman, I believe in magic, not some of the things you see like making things magically appear, but in what our ancestors would have termed psychic phenomena.

Lifting things with your mind, seeing the future, these all would have been things they wouldn't have been able to explain, and I believe some of the flashier stuff was possible too.

Lighting a man on fire, due to the way in which spontaneous combustion works, a very refined telekinetic could push molecules in the right way to cause a cascade capable of destroying a human body.

Yes I believe humans did use to be much more advanced, it would certainly explain certain, anomalies in the fossil record. Like the ancient sparkplug.
Last edited by Hal_Wannabe on Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hal_Wannabe
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby im_no_juliet on Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:13 pm

Name: Dori-mu Shokkou
Magical Tradition: Witch/Sorceress/Priestess of sorts

Nature of magic: Dori is ruled by the element Air and that which it represents; Knowedge, travel, change, intuition, and (most importantly) dreams. Her name, in fact, means 'Dream Weaver', though not even she knows how or why. She can almost shape the air's density, color, ionic charge, and the general energy and movement of it to into what she imagines so that it is like a 3D hologram that can make noise and appear real, as if the particles in the air responded to her will, appearing and disappearing like lust or smoke, blown in or out by the wind. If it's the replica of a non-living object, then it's possible to touch it, as if it were actually there. If it's a projection of something living then it's just that; a projection and nothing more. This is because she manipulates it with her magic so that the air makes a shell of whatever it is by moving in fast, contained currents so it feels solid.Yet a replica of something living is more complicated; she manipulates the air so it reflects the colors and light to appear as though it were a solid 3D image, but is far from solid and quite insubstantial, thanks to the fact that her focus must be split between creating the illusion and controlling it's movement and also other factors, like sound. Though you could still hear it, see it, maybe even record it with a camera and/or microphone- you wouldn't be able to touch it and it would be insubstantial for picking anything up. This skill is something that she had an obvious talent for at a young age, as natural yet raw at first as dreaming. Because of this, the Academy took her in at a young age, now keeping an eye on her by having her remain at the academy as a teacher, for her skills are still a bit unstable. When she loses emotional control, her basic control of air becomes dangerous as winds might start to blow uncontrollably.

Role: Hider/Minor Fighter/Teacher

Appearance:
    hair • Her hair is pink (or red with a bit of yellow, sometimes). It's kind of part of her ability that it changes.
    eyes • Her eye are a dreamy purple, pink, or green, depending on her mood.
    distinguishing features • She. Has. Pink. Hair. OH, and she has tattoos scattered all over her body (mostly all circle/moon/celtic themed). Also, she's short for her age. Seriously. Half of her nick-names involve the word 'pixie'.
    style • She likes bright, light colors. Sometimes she wears black because it does looks good on her, but really she likes the colors that remind her most of dreams.

Biography: She grew up with her older brother, David. He pretty much raised her after their parents passed away. David always seemed to worry over Dori more than he needed to, mostly because she seemed to be more ok with everything than she should have been. Eventually, he stopped fussing as much and let her be, allowing her to focus on her studies- if that's what you would call it. Really, all her life, Dori seemed as though she saw the world as one big dream. It was at a young age that the academy found her, and ever since she has spent her time practicing her craft and molding her skills.

Last edited by im_no_juliet on Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImage

im_no_juliet
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby thepsycoman on Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:33 pm

I said i don't believe in Magic the power of the human mind is a completely different story, I am actually a very firm believer in the power of the mind think of placebos, If used on the right person a placebo can cure something that scientists cant find a cure for. The human mind is amazing and it would make sense if our ancestors used part of the brain constantly that we now only use occasionally and with certain people, Because remember we only use a tiny part of our brain but if we had to fight for our survival like animals do people may of had to use more of their brain, Some of those parts may not be normally used.

thepsycoman
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby lyssaisanaeroplane on Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:44 pm

Ok, I edited. I did like you're idea of her attacking the creatures spirt itself, but for some reason I couldn't figure out how she would do that. With what offensive power? Haha, So I didn't incorporate that. However, I did my best to change this around. Tell me what you think :D

Thanks for the acceptance though.

lyssaisanaeroplane
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby im_no_juliet on Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:49 pm

(Wow, psyco 0.o That's one long run-on sentence, sprinkled with capitol letters. ^.^; Sorry, just couldn't help noticing. Heh.)

I think that magic, much like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I practice a form of wicca (aka, witchcraft). I think from a logical, scientific point of view, yes, but I also believe in magic, in a way. In some ways, I believe that the elements (air, fire, water, earth, and spirit) can control the world in much the same way that others might believe in a god (though I do not believe in god). And, for me, spells are sort of like prayers. I have a friend who grew here hair a few inches in a few seconds by using a spell, and another who can heal her own wounds over night. Personally, I know I'm ruled by air. I've been able to control the wind, before, in a way (though I haven't in a long time). And I have some friends who I KNOW have seen the future. Also, I've been able to sense trouble coming, as have some of my friends. And I sometimes know things without having any prior means for knowing it.

Sometimes, you just have to believe for there to be magic. It's something I do struggle with, sometimes. I mean, there are times where I explain things rationally, and others supernaturally. and others when I don't know what to believe. But I've seen too much to not believe at all.

im_no_juliet
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby thepsycoman on Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:52 pm

(Yeah I'm still not very good with that, I always misplace those stupid marks ,.)

I don't believe in magic as in harry potter magic and summoning fire into you hand kinda thing.

I have personally have had psychic visions and i am constantly answering questions as someone opens their mouth to ask them (and i don't mean yes/no questions).

I think of brains as computers each is able to run alone, but if you spend some time and effort and set up a network they are able to run together with some with administrator privileges of being able to see what the other computers are doing.

thepsycoman
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Hal_Wannabe on Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:54 pm

Alright lyssaisanairplane (i'll refer to you as airplane from now on" looks good,

and psyco my point was, they would have considered those phenomena as magic, not the power of the mind, after all, magic isn't made by hollywood, it was around for millenia before we even had the technology to make movies. I believe magic was just the word they used for psychic phenomena, and therefore, magic really does exist.

Also to juliet, I quite believe you, you may be lying you may not, but I do believe that these things are possible. and, your name wouldn't happen to be beth would it? Just checking because I got gamer friend by the name of beth who also happens to be a wicca.

Now Juliet, I would like you to either tone down your abilities a little, far too powerful for a beginning level character, or take a post as one of the teachers, no need to change age, the teachers are run on what their abilities are, not their age. The biggest problem at this point is, to touch it, is too advanced, that kind of stuff should be learned during the RP. K?

Hal_Wannabe
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby im_no_juliet on Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:15 pm

Yeah; Harry Potter magic? Not so much. However, potions and stuff- like, herb lore -totally really. I mean, different herbs are proven to have different healing properties. And the scents of different herbs can evoke different emotions or have different effects on the brain (Which everybody who feels happy, sad, or disgusted when they smell something should know. And anyone who believes that smoking pot can get you high should know).

There's plenty of things that are called magic that are proven scientifically. It's just a matter of believing it's possible. For instance, I believe cheese-its are magical because when I had a headache that was so bad that it made me feel faint and as if I was going to throw up, my dad gave me cheese-its and I felt better within 15 minutes after feeling crappy for hours. Ever since, Cheese-its have been able to get rid of my headaches. I call them magical because they work. And I loves them, lol.

im_no_juliet
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Hal_Wannabe on Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:20 pm

IF the brain can conceive it the body can achieve it

Hal_Wannabe
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby im_no_juliet on Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:28 pm

Haha, yeah. I'm not lying, and no. My name is not Beth; It's Livvia, lol. And 'wiccan' is the word you use to describe an individual, or to describe anything associated with wicca. Wicca is the belief, practice, and religion itself. Heh.

And eek, sorry about her abilities. I could gladly be a teacher. Dori was originally used for a plot I made a whole site after (and remade, later, though both are now dead). Her powers were always something she unconsciously did. I could change that, if you want. (Part of the reason it was so unconscious for her was because it WAS based after dreaming, haha).

But, I'd be more than glad to be a teacher. I mean, it looks like there aren't really all that many of those, yet, so... yeah. Dori isn't someone you'd expect to be a teacher, but that could be something that helps her.

Would it be alright with you if she were a teacher? If not, I can just modify her ability. No problem.

im_no_juliet
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby thepsycoman on Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:45 pm

i think what has happened here is a bit of "lost in translations", Because none of us ever stated a meaning for magic so therefor we area all on different paths arguing over if there should be a corner there or not.

I personally think of "magic" as things like summoning birds and creating fire in you hand with a mere thought and not get burnt by it ect.

thepsycoman
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby im_no_juliet on Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:57 pm

If you count summoning the wind to blow at your will or controlling a flame's movement... Then I've witnessed magic. If you count seeing the future, I've witnessed magic. If you count scrying for an answer or to find something, I've witnessed magic. If you count getting rid of some sort of ghost/demon thing with another person for a third person, each miles from each other, and only the two doing the vanishing being in communication with each other while the third sees the demon die at the exact same time... then I've witnessed magic.

It's not really something you can see, but something you can feel but have to believe in.

I've witnessed magic. And I love it.

im_no_juliet
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby im_no_juliet on Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:00 pm

Oh, and I witnessed all that while being sober. Seriously, I don't drink or do drugs. It's all untainted truth.

im_no_juliet
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Hal_Wannabe on Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:27 pm

Actually I don't care which way you go with your character, be it teacher or student, but I would rather like an explanation for how a power source of air, and think of it as your abilities are based on the air, not the concept of air, and how that can create an illusion if you have trouble let me know because I already have an explanation for it.

And anyways, it's my turn, my character shall be a teacher,

Andronicus Valois
Voodoo Priest
Decay
Teacher, Adept in all roles.
Brown Hair in a crew cut, Rough face, not handsome by any means, rugged, perpetual five o'clock shadow, wears military fatigues, Left arm is missing, wears a necklace with several long thin bones on it.
A promising student, he quickly rose to a solo status in his assigned area, he lost his arm when his field trainees got in over their head in a non-standard monster elimination, with the loss of his arm he's been taken off active service and taken up a teacher's position at Orion's. His main ability is summoning zombies. But over the years his understanding of decay has risen allowing him many enhanced abilities, He can halt the toxic buildup that causes exhaustion and loss of stamina for short periods of time allowing him to fight stronger for longer.
He can make barriers that cause rapid decay, (main use to trap monsters before elimination.)
He uses his zombies as combatants and scouts, the scouts are usually small birds. Is on the verge of understanding that decay is simply an aspect of the cycle of death and rebirth, this may or may not allow him to branch into the healing arts.

To point out other ways I could have built what I wanted (zombies) I could have bound their spirits back into their flesh. I could have used the power of telekinesis to animate them like they were puppets, these are only a couple of the ways I could have done this. (get creative)

Hal_Wannabe
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby im_no_juliet on Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:39 pm

Honey, Air is my thing; I can figure it out, no worries ^.^

Just give me a minute to fix it all up.

im_no_juliet
Member for 15 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!