Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

Help for the homeless: What do you think?

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

Help for the homeless: What do you think?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Akita on Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:25 am

Okay, so basically....the title says it all. There's tons of homeless people around the world who are struggling every day, just trying to get by in life on the simple, bare necessities. The majority of homeless people don't really have a place to call home, or even go for help. There are food drives and churches who give away food to people in need, and shelters to house those people. But there still needs to be something done about the people who are still on the streets. There's government assistance in places, but some people can't get it.

So what do you think people should do about the homeless who are struggling to survive and don't have a place to even stay for the night?

DISCLAIMER: This topic is in no, way, shape, or form, meant to be flaming, offensive, or rude. If you don't think you'll be able to respond to this topic MATURELY and non-flaming, then you need not respond. Please remember that I, myself, am a global moderator and have the right to give consequences, shall they be necessary. It is important that each person who responds to this topic does it in a mature and subtle fashion. Disagreement is NOT a bad thing, but don't sit there and insult someone just because you don't agree with them.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Akita
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Contributor Greeter Lifegiver Person of Interest

Re: Help for the homeless: What do you think?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby UnderINK on Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:59 am

Homelessness is something that will only be helped by a better economy. You might help some homeless people with charity, but most of the ones I've seen are homeless because of problems. Drugs, especially alcohol, general immaturity and irresponsibility, et cetera. They did an experiment where they offered homeless people who held up signs for work or money, offering them jobs in exchange for food (NOT money) and none of them showed up (presumably because they wanted money for drugs/alcohol and not food). My fiance once offered a homeless guy food, said he'd bring him into his work and make him a meal, and the homeless guy asked him for money instead---to which he said no. And that's my view. If you want to donate food and blankets, that's fine. But I am 100% donating any money to any homeless person.
•civilization begins with order, grows with liberty and dies with chaos

My Roleplays
Without Absolution- a civilization on the brink of destruction

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

UnderINK
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Akita on Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:20 pm

I understand what you mean. The majority of homeless people are out there because they put themselves out there, or their jobs fell through and they resorted to that kind of living and became addicted to alcohol, drugs, etc. Every person has a personal side to the story. And let me just say vaguely, that I do have a personal side to this story. However, if I was offered food, or my family was offered food, we would take it right there. If I offer homeless people food and all they want is money, they can pretty much kiss my ass. I mean, if you're out there starving, and you're holding a sign for "food" then you obviously want food. Begging for change for another drink is a waste. If I feel at all generous, I'll ask them: "What do you want more? Food or alcohol?" and if they say alcohol, I say "Well, looks like you're SOL." and walk away.

It's annoying and a waste to see all of the donations and funds and food we give to go to such a waste to the homeless population that does NOT want to better themselves and try to get back on their feet, but at the same time, we should try to at least help out the other part of the population that actually needs it and appreciates it. A pair of clothes and a couple meals can change someone's life. Trust me, I know it. ;]

Akita
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Contributor Greeter Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby wiltingrose on Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:03 pm

I met one man who asked me and my friend for money. He said he wanted a meal. All we said was 'We're not comfortable giving you money but we're on our way to mcdonald's. I'm quite happy to buy you a meal.' He was over the fucking moon. He spoke to us for ages, not about his issues or anything, just about normal topics. Maybe he wasn't homeless and just dressed in rags and stopped showering in order to get a free meal, but i felt pretty darn good about myself that day. If they don't want food, don't give them money. If they're starving, they should be bloody grateful like this man was.

also, i've heard people complain about homeless people and how theyre too lazy to get a job. My retort is 'are you going to hire someone who looks and smells as though they haven't seen soap in a bloody long time?' Most of the people out there just need a little help getting started and getting back on their feet.
When all is said and done
i will be the one
to leave you in your misery
and hate what you've become

wiltingrose
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Akita on Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:57 pm

Well, honestly, it's not that easy to "just get a job" - especially in today's economy. I mean, what are you going to do? Tell them "I don't have an address because I'm homeless. No phone number, I'm homeless." They can always use a friend's address or phone number, or a shelter's phone and address...However, even McDonald's is reluctant to hire homeless people, afraid they can't be trusted or something. One homeless person asked me if I could buy them a bar of soap and some shampoo. I was like "Really?! You don't want food?!" And he seriously told me that he wanted some soap and shampoo so he can clean up. He wanted to try and look presentable. I spent $20 on this guy - bought him a new shirt, pair of pants, shoes, and some shampoo and conditioner. I even bought him a $1 can of cologne lol. He was so greatful. The next time I saw him, he was sitting outside of Kohl's (where he applied) and I asked him, "Did you get a job?" He said "No, they wouldn't hire me because my hair is too long."

I FELT SO BAD FOR THE GUY!!!

But yeah. It's REALLY hard out there. Employers are such pricks sometimes. ;/

Akita
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Raya on Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:28 pm

I disagree that most people are homeless because of drugs/alcoholism/laziness/etc. Most people who hold up those signs on the interstate aren't actually homeless. At least not where I grew up. That *is* their job, and they made better money begging on street corners than they could get at McD's.

I spent some time homeless myself, after leaving an abusive household with nowhere else to go. I've met other, legitimate, homeless people. Most are homeless because they *can't* get jobs, not for lack of trying. Or because they had medical/psychological problems but no insurance or money for the help they needed. Too many were veterans. Unless you've been homeless, you really don't know what that's like. It's not like what they fictionalize on TV, or what the politicians try to tell you. It's real, it's hopeless, and it's sad.

Raya
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Akita on Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:21 pm

Raya - Like I said in my response to UnderINK, I have a personal outlook on homelessness, considering it's happened to me more than once. Those are many of the reasons why people are put on the streets, definitely. And you know, I've seen people who aren't homeless stand outside, begging for money and going back home or to their friend's house where they're staying. It kind of pisses me off, but every situation is different.

Akita
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby UnderINK on Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:11 am

There seems to be a disregard of the possibility I have a personal perspective on homelessness as well. My fiance was homeless legitimately for quite a while and was still technically homeless when we started dating. His father dropped him off at a shelter and said good luck. He slept under a children's slide in the playground in a park. He had just scored an apartment when we got together with an alcoholic and a college student in exchange for part rent and part fridge stock, as much as he possibly COULD afford, and I know it affected him deeply. But he told me the same thing; he was the only homeless person that frequented where he did that actually accepted offers for food or work; the rest wanted money or drugs, even the homeless person he asked to take into his work to make a meal much later, who refused his offer because there was no money transaction involved.

UnderINK
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Akita on Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:26 am

No one said there was a disregard for your personal outlook on it, UnderINK. I'm sorry for what happened to you. It was very bad for us too. Me, my mom, and brother, and DOG were hotel hopping, or sleeping by the offices of hotels. Or, we slept in the trailor that my brother's former "friend" paid for us to use it for 2 weeks. It had all of our stuff in it. It's pretty hectic out there, I must say.

Akita
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 15 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!