Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat β€” the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

A few of my favorite quotes - What's yours?

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

Re: A few of my favorite quotes - What's yours?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby CatCing on Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:23 pm

danger is real fear is an option

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

CatCing
Member for 9 years
Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby RJApple on Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:16 am

"In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." -Abraham Lincoln

"The wide world is all about you; you can fence yourselves in, but you cannot forever fence it out." -J.R.R. Tolkien, said by Gandalf in The Lord of the Rings.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts." -Winston Churchill

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein

"No victory without suffering" -J.R.R. Tolkien

"Little by little, one travels far." J.R.R. Tolkien

"Eating and reading are two pleasures that combine admirably." C.S. Lewis
"A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities." -J.R.R. Tolkien
"Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt, we do not." -J.R.R. Tolkien
"I have not told half of what I saw." -Marco Polo

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

RJApple
Member for 10 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby an edgar allan poet on Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:44 pm

"I loved her not for the way she danced with my angels but for the way the sound of her name could silence my demons." -Christopher Poindexter

"Anything that gets your blood racing is probably worth doing." - Hinter S. Thompson

"I write to give myself strength. I write to be the characters that I am not. I write to explore all the things I'm afraid of." - Joss Whedon

"There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you." - Maya Angelou

"We are all searching for someone whose demons whose demons play well with ours." - Unknown

an edgar allan poet
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TwilightDivine on Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:08 pm

awesome one that's come up quite a bit for me recently

TwilightDivine
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FyreT1ger on Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:43 am

evilDM wrote:"Ask of me, and I shall give thee the heathen for thine inheritance, and for thy possession, the ends of the earth. Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron. Thou shalt dash them in pieces, like a potters vessel. Be wise now therefore ye kings. Be admonished ye judges of the earth. Serve the Lord with fear, and rejoice with trembling. Kiss the Son lest he be angry, and ye perish in the way, though his wrath be kindled but a little."

~Alexander Anderson

I have to correct this quote. The original words are in the Bible Psalm 2:8-12 King James Version. I admit, I never expected Bible Quotes from an Anime Series.

Continuing Bible Quotes.
The Golden Rule:

"And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these." (Mark 12:31 King James Version)

The first commandment has been ignored for ages, but the Golden Rule is oft used as an accusation. Shame.

For those who want to know the first commandment:
"And Jesus answered him, The first of all commandments is, Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God is one Lord; And Thou shalt love the Lord thy God, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strengh: This is the first commandment."(Mark 12:29-30 KJV)

Back to the favorite quotes topic. There are some I haven't forgotten since I first heard or saw them.
"If exceptions make the rules, there can be no rules." Dennis Prager

"Those who would give up essential liberty for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting to get different results." Albert Einstein

FyreT1ger
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Donated! Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MatthiasAleksander on Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:56 am

"We'll burn that bridge when we get there." A little twist on the normal quotes, but I find it fitting 'cause I have a strong tendency to mess things up before they even begin x3

"You can choose your friends / you can choose your family," Spectrum - Boyinaband. As someone with an extremely abusive family, it means a lot to me to know that blood doesn't define your relationships. Similarly, "The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb," has the same message and the wording makes my inner goth happy x3

MatthiasAleksander
Member for 9 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Brat Prince on Mon May 04, 2015 1:12 am

More of a monologue but I have to say that I love the whole "Why so serious" lecture by the Joker from The Dark Knight.

Another one that I like is "Harry baby, Harrrrrrry Baaaaby" said by Baymax from Big Hero 6
I am the Vampire Lestat, the Brat Prince.

Brat Prince
Member for 9 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby xXcandlejackXx on Thu May 14, 2015 7:23 pm

" The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.
Today and tomorrow are yet to be said.
The chances, the changes are all yours to make.
The mold of your life is in your hands to break.

The greatest adventure is there if you're bold.
Let go of the moment that life makes you hold.
To measure the meaning can make you delay;
It's time you stop thinkin' and wasting the day.

The man who's a dreamer and never takes leave
Who thinks of a world that is just make-believe
Will never know passion, will never know pain.
Who sits by the window will one day see rain.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.
Today and tomorrow are yet to be said.
The chances, the changes are all yours to make.
The mold of your life is in your hands to break.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead. "

Bilbo Bagins ," The Ballad of the Hobbit: The Hobbit 1977 Animated film.

This song/ quote changed my young life for some reason.

xXcandlejackXx
Member for 10 years
Author Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Solo Wing Pixy on Fri May 15, 2015 5:07 pm

George Bernard Shaw wrote:Every man to whom salvation is offered has an inalienable natural right to say 'No, thank you: I prefer to retain my full moral responsibility: it is not good for me to be able to load a scapegoat with my sins: I should be less careful how I committed them if I knew they would cost me nothing.'
We drink to him as comrade must
But it's still the same old story
A coward goes from dust to dust
A hero from dust to glory.

Modesty wrote:Where originality comes in is finding new ways to explore the things that already exist to us. Suddenly red becomes crimson, ruby, scarlet, cherry, carnelian, vermilion, cardinal, sienna, maroon, sorrel, rojo, sanguine. Suddenly red can become a metaphor, a picture, a symbol.

Solo Wing Pixy
Member for 15 years
Contributor Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Count Wicked Raven on Sat May 16, 2015 6:55 pm

" But, Papa, don't preach. I'm in trouble deep, and I'm keeping my baby. " -Pistachio Disguisey

" And so, the next night, the ghost returned to the haunted cabin. And he said to the campers, 'None of you really believe in me, so I'll have to prove my power.' And the next morning, when the campers woke up, all of their old noses had grown back. "- Wednesday Adams

- "We are just three kindly spinster ladies." - Winifred
- "spending a quiet evening at home." -Mary
- "sucking the lives out of children!" - Sarah

" Hi I'm Chucky wonna play? " - Charles Lee Ray

"No tears please, its a waste of good suffering." - Pinhead
β—ΎNative Americans consider the Raven to be a magical symbol. Thier mythology tells us that the earth was created by a raven that dropped stones into the sea which created the islands
β—ΎIn Africa, the Raven is considered to be a guide
β—ΎIn Japan, ravens is a symbol of the sun and is also seen as a messenger of the gods
β—ΎIndigenous people who inhabit the Arctic regions of Greenland,Canada,United States and eastern Siberia worship a god called the Raven Father, they believe killing a raven will bring bad weather

Count Wicked Raven
Member for 9 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby AcidLupin on Sun May 24, 2015 3:41 pm

"Man has come to think too much and feel too little." Said by Charlie Chaplin in the movie The Dictator. He gives a truly amazing, tear jerking speech.
β€œWe make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.”

AcidLupin
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Imaveronica on Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:55 pm

"Everybody's life's got static" -Veronica Sawyer (Heather the Movie)
:D

Imaveronica
Member for 9 years
Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby CutestWitch on Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:51 pm

β€œLove is life. All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love. Everything is, everything exists, only because I love. Everything is united by it alone. Love is God, and to die means that I, a particle of love, shall return to the general and eternal source.” - Leo Tolstoy

CutestWitch
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby NightGray on Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:54 pm

"Sometimes the brightest light comes from the darkest place"
- The Mission

β€œA house divided against itself cannot stand." I believe this government cannot endure, permanently half slave and half free. I do not expect the Union to be dissolved β€” I do not expect the house to fall β€” but I do expect it will cease to be divided. It will become all one thing or all the other.”
- Abraham Lincoln

"Not all who wander are lost.:
- J.R.R Tolkien
❛All I Ask Is That You Fight For What You Believe In.❜

NightGray
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Streamwatcher World Builder Group Theory Visual Appeal Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby XViolet7 on Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:48 pm

"Fall 7 times, stand up 8."

"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney

"Everything is okay in the end, if it's not okay, it's not the end."

"At the end of the day, you are who you are and it's probably you you've always been"
XViolet7

XViolet7
Member for 10 years
Author Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Donated! Arc Warden Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dealing with it on Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:13 pm

β€œIt is the mark of an educated man to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.” -Aristotle

dealing with it
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 13 years
Contributor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Greeter Beta Tester Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VindicatedPurpose on Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:47 am

John Adams wrote:I must study Politicks and War that my sons may have liberty to study Painting and Poetry Mathematicks and Philosophy. My sons ought to study Mathematicks and Philosophy, Geography, natural History, Naval Architecture, navigation, Commerce and Agriculture, in order to give their Children a right to study Painting, Poetry, Musick, Architecture, Statuary, Tapestry and Porcelaine.
Like a stranger on a grate, or a skylark, or a taper, flying ever upward and knowing of love's satiety. Our dreams beyond the Sun and into the expanse of Night doth sound a quiet hymn.

VindicatedPurpose
Member for 13 years
Contributor Promethean Author Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Greeter Visual Appeal Lifegiver Tipworthy Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VindicatedPurpose on Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:39 pm

"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - Somerset Maugham

VindicatedPurpose
Member for 13 years
Contributor Promethean Author Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Greeter Visual Appeal Lifegiver Tipworthy Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Moonstruck on Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:21 am

My favorite quote, or really it might be called a poem is by Mother Teresa. It's very empowering to me because it's about staying true to yourself and your higher power and not letting other people's actions or judgment dictate the way you live your life.

People are often unreasonable, illogical and self centered;
Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives;
Be kind anyway.

If you are successful, you will win some false friends and some true enemies;
Succeed anyway.

If you are honest and frank, people may cheat you;
Be honest and frank anyway.

What you spend years building, someone could destroy overnight;
Build anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness, they may be jealous;
Be happy anyway.

The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow;
Do good anyway.

Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough;
Give the world the best you've got anyway.

You see, in the final analysis, it is between you and your God;
It was never between you and them anyway.

Moonstruck
Member for 13 years
Contributor Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Arc Warden Beta Tester Lifegiver Tipworthy Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FyreT1ger on Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:19 pm

A quote from a book I just finished reading: "Tell Ellie... Not to hate any man." -Howard Moniger

These are the last words of professor at a university and archaeologist who lived in Jerusalem for thirty years. Ellie was his niece. Even more importantly, this man said these words as he died from a bullet in his back from a man who hated him and everything he stood for. Even as he died from a bullet borne of hate, he did not hate the man who killed him and many of his friends and associates.

Hate destroys. Hate kills. This man knew that and he could not let his niece be destroyed by hate. Anyone who hates another for any reason at all destroys himself or herself more than the target of their hate. Hate drives evil. Hate is selfish; hate is cruel.

I fear I've moved off topic. Forgive me. If anyone is interested in reading the book, it's called A Light in Zion and it's written by Bodie Thoene, fourth in a series of five.

Another quote from the book: "No[...] That is the way we have made the world. [...] This is what men have made of the world." -Moshe Sachar as he mourns all the dead of Kastel: Arab, Jew, and Gentile. Moshe is a Jew yet he mourns for the Arab Muslims who want to kill him, and the Gentiles who have abandoned their own countries to defend his.

Again I'm sorry if the little side notes are annoying, but it is really the context of these quotes which make the real impact. Now I'll let you be for a while.

FyreT1ger
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Donated! Contributor Lifegiver

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!