Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

Twilight Marmite?

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

Re: Twilight Marmite?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Music on Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:25 am

Uh, why would I want to edit a book written when I was thirteen? See aforementioned point... that wasn't even part of the point.

Repeated.... people grow; their writing changes, as does their outlook on life. I myself only pull out my writing from that age when I (a) want a laugh, or (b) want a self esteem boost, to feel like I've gotten damn good at writing. Heck, I can do that to myself a few months ago.

If it's true that SM did go back and edit a book she wrote when she was thirteen, then obviously she's simply delusional for thinking that a storyline written at that fragile age would actually be considered among the literary greats.*

Jealous? Me? WHY? Of what?

Not a couple of Mary-Sues and a bit of purple prose.

A bit? How about a boatload?

Oh, and before anyone makes the point that she didn't go back and edit a book... here's how I heard that she wrote Twilight. She had a dream about a vampire and a teenage girl talking quite reasonably about how they were in love... but he was a vampire. Now, I'm not bashing the idea of writing a book based on dreams you have, nor am I going to complain about the fact that she gets to dream romantic dreams while I die in about half of mine, while the other half makes me wake up feeling like I was on something.

She wrote the meadow scene, then continued to the end, then went back and wrote the FIRST half of the book.

Just because it started off with a dream doesn't mean that it's acceptable as literature. Just because many authors (myself included) jump around when writing doesn't mean that to

And, Complexity... why those films? Of all the romantic ones in the world... it had to be Twilight? You can do better.

Nah, you didn't make me angry. You just made me laugh.

*A note for those at that age: That's not to say that you aren't a good writer. But just look around at your peer group; who do you know that isn't self-obsessed? Who do you know that IS a good writer? You will see yourself improve so much over the next few years, especially if you continue writing.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Music
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ComplexitySimplified on Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:44 pm

Just so everyone knows, I was being a bit of a sarcastic ass and trying to make people laugh. I did actually know how SM wrote Twilight, I know she didn't do it was she was 13, and that isn't to say that 13 year olds can't be great writers, because you can!

I choose those films, because A) I don't own Titanic on DvD and B) All the other romance films I like will actually make me cry haha.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

ComplexitySimplified
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Music on Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:49 pm

Ah. Well, now I sound like a bit of a bitch. Oh, well, at least I have more personality than some characters. Er, people.

And yes, I agree. Young people can always be good writers.

I prefer a good romantic comedy, but that's just me. :b

Music
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kitara Turner on Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:31 am

Well I just love reading what everyone has to say about those crappy attempts of literature/ films. It makes my self esteem shoot through the roof because i know I can write better things than S.M. has. Yes I'm not being very modest atm but it's true. I mostly go back to read my early writings when I feel like remembering. Because reading my early works bring back many memories, like what I was listning to at the time i was writing a particular theme, where I got the idea for that one, and so on. While I believe the basic underlying story is intriguing at some points i think she could have done so much better with that. It is just too cliche. I don't get how she couldn't have come up with a more original story. It just doesn't work for me. I admit again that I have written my share of twilight fanfic, but the first was when i was sucked into the swirl of the twilight craze and the other i wrote for a friend, who, quite ironically, had had a dream about this one and got me to write it.... perhaps she is the next S.M?? well totally believe that eddie is a prissy pansie. honestly if S.M. wanted to make a fairy vamp she should have done it right. You make it half elf half vamp. then it works. mind you when i was toying with my fantasy skills, kess was female and as a combination of the tradition fhey and vamps, the sun burnt her as did the touch of iron on her skin. there was no sparkling.
http://midnight-lotus.com needs you! Please, join our small community xx

Kitara Turner
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Village Alchemist on Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:33 am

I have not read the books. My mom dragged me to the first movie and a girlfriend dragged me to the second one.

I found the first movie to be boring. Nothing interesting happened in it at all. I can only assume that it was a poor adaptation of the book, given how popular the book is.

The second movie was better. It had some fight scenes at least, even though the plot did not interest me. The Volteri were cool on the grounds that they actually acted like vampires. Jacob was cool, too. Jacob seems like a guy I would hang out with.

I also got laid after the second movie, so I am more inclined to be charitable towards it.

I am not going to say that Twilight sucks, partly because I am not in the target demographic anyway (i.e. I have a Y chromasome) and more importantly because that would leave the door open for people to point out that I am a grown man who still watches Power Rangers.

Village Alchemist
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kitara Turner on Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:02 pm

It's okay alchemist. we can understand your predicament but I pity you for being forced to watch the movies. I have currently finally seen the second movie and i have something to say rather defiantly on that subject. THEY SCREWED IT UP ROYALLY! It is morbid from start to finish, the only light hearted parts of it are when Alice gives Bella a dress and when charlie makes a joke at the stat. It just has a sort of... aura i guess you could call it. It is just too morbid for my tastes. The book was never that bad. I'm sorry if people are getting sick of me ranting. I'll shut up if you would like.

Kitara Turner
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby RaptorThreeSix on Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:00 pm

I've read (and re-read... several times) the books. Watched the movies too. Why?

I keep waiting for the AC-130 Spectre gunships and A-10 Warthogs and B-52s and AH-64D Apaches to show up and blow the ever-lasting-$(%&# out of the vampires.

Seriously. Sure, those vampires might be rocks. But they're flammable rocks. And Napalm sticks to kids. And I'd love to see those rocks try and fend off a hail of 30mm depleted uranium and tungsten penetrators, or see how well a 105mm artillery shell would send those freakshows flying (a-la COD4/MW2, anyone?)
Advanced Support Operator
Oasis Security Group (International Division)

RaptorThreeSix
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Patcharoo on Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:24 pm

If you've read it once, then why would re-reading it change anything?

On another note, why do people keep dredging this topic up? The first post was like, in July.
Circ wrote:When I first joined RolePlayGateway, it was a place where positive conflict fostered creativity and friendships were formed rather than cliques. Honesty and transparency were valued, new people were incorporated into the community rather than judged based on what style of writing they preferred, and despite the youthfulness and zeal of the population there prevailed a reasonable degree of common sense.

Patcharoo
Legend
Legend
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Donated! Millionaire Arc Warden Beta Tester Contributor Group Theory Person of Interest Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tickchitock on Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:13 am

I absolutely hate it-based on the fact I dislike it on some sort of moral standards, AND also on the fact it's just very, very horrible fiction. As others have stated already. I'm guessing those who DO like it are typically liking it because their friends do, because they like how "hot" the guys look, and/or because they can imagine themselves as Bella(especially in the novel, where she is SO amazingly ignored personality (and apparently even appearance) wise). The characters are absolutely horrible, and apparently Bella sorely lacks any character development. It's basically just a bad fanfiction story with better grammar and vocabulary, as Music perfectly explained.

As for moral reasons, the thing's at least slightly sexist. Especially with how utterly pathetic and helpless Bella is, and is displayed as "cute" for being so pathetic and helpless. Meanwhile, it's okay for Jacob to basically imprint a human being who was just born, and then dump his previous love interest Bella out of no where(who doesn't MIND the fact of what he's done to his kid just then). While Bella abuses his affection earlier and then dumps him the moment her basically if not flat out abusive boyfriend offers to get back together. And let's not forget the fact that Jacob apparently forcibly kisses her a number of times before while Edward stalks her.

Tickchitock
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby RaptorThreeSix on Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:29 am

@Patch:

I re-read it (though I think for the last time at this point) to improve my concept of what most people would call a bad story. I use it as an example of what sort of things to avoid whilst writing. Also, I'm interested in the subject matter in a general sense and want to write and hopefully get published one day. So, seeing what others do in the genre is just good sense.

The movies are glaring examples of horrid acting. While there are some good sequences--with believable interactions, however, by and large it's badly overdone.

RaptorThreeSix
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Patcharoo on Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:55 am

That's actually a very good reason to re-read them. Might I reccommend My Immortal to add to your list of 'examples of bad fiction'? Can be read online if you're not familiar.

From wha I remember, I thought the support actors (the school friends specifically) were better actors then the main characters.

Patcharoo
Legend
Legend
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Donated! Millionaire Arc Warden Beta Tester Contributor Group Theory Person of Interest Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby RaptorThreeSix on Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:49 am

I'll see what I can dredge up there, Patch. If you're looking for any of the same, do check out the Anita Blake series. They start out good, but then they descend into a nearly-non-stop-ever-increasing-in-size orgy. Just goes to show what can happen when you allow your writing and story to slip in favor of the sex.

And those support actors were barely better... they had their high points, but they tend to just fade into the background as noise too. The best of those actors is the gal that plays Alice and the dude that plays Charlie.

RaptorThreeSix
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby libcakes on Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:58 pm

I'm one of the "read-Twilight-before-it-was-cool" people. And I am appalled at what the fans are doing to this franchise -_- I mean, I'm not in love with it, but they're good stories, and the idea of having a vampire and a werewolf fighting over you is frankly appealing in my eyes >.>

Charlie in the movies was awesoooome and I've always loved Alice. Bella in the books didn't seem so bad until the movies came out and I saw the acting that was going on. Dear god, someone tell Kristen Stewart to shut her damn mouth when she's done speaking a sentence. And I seriously laughed when she got her leg "broken" in Twilight. And to everyone who thinks Robert Pattinson is hot: what on earth are you on. He's cleaned up a bit in the movies, but he still looks like a drug addict. The movies ruined the books for me, casting- and acting-wise. Although I wouldn't mind staring at a shirtless Taylor Lautner for a very long period of time in the least.
Currently: a newb/online

libcakes
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby RaptorThreeSix on Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:37 pm

Bella should have been played by Emma Stone. At least she can act *all* the time and not just some of the time.

RaptorThreeSix
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:53 pm

Patch wrote:That's actually a very good reason to re-read them. Might I recommend My Immortal to add to your list of 'examples of bad fiction'? Can be read online if you're not familiar.

From what I remember, I thought the support actors (the school friends specifically) were better actors then the main characters.

You are a horrible person. This man is a trained sniper, and you're directing him to the biggest festering wound on the face of literature known to modern man that will make him want to gouge his eyes out by the halfway point?

On the plus side, I guess him and his buddies could now play the TV Tropes My Immortal Drinking Game, the winner being the one who can refrain from pissing, vomiting or passing out the longest.

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby RaptorThreeSix on Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:15 pm

qbsuperstar03 wrote:On the plus side, I guess him and his buddies could now play the TV Tropes My Immortal Drinking Game, the winner being the one who can refrain from pissing, vomiting or passing out the longest.

Oh, if only we actually were allowed alcohol over here...

RaptorThreeSix
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Eastep on Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:19 pm

I wonder why all our writer friends hate this series so much? This is a milestone on the market! Come on! This is proof you can make MILLIONS off TOTAL GARBAGE!
If a series as awful as Twilight makes that kind of money, imagine what a story with some good story in it could make.
Red Factioooon!

Eastep
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:15 pm

RaptorThreeSix wrote:
qbsuperstar03 wrote:On the plus side, I guess him and his buddies could now play the TV Tropes My Immortal Drinking Game, the winner being the one who can refrain from pissing, vomiting or passing out the longest.

Oh, if only we actually were allowed alcohol over here...

Trust me, it works no matter what you decide to imbibe...at least if the testimonies of the various people that have claimed to get through the entire thing are to be believed.

The full list of suggested rules, as well as the predictable Edit Wars and a list of people that have tackled it and lived to tell the tale can be found here (link).

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Liquidus on Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:54 am

I feel that you guys are all wrong about twilight. The story is amazingly done, and Edward and Bella have true love...Ppfft! And I just found a video game where I can step into the screen and kill everyone. The twilight series as a whole is full of oooy gooey badness.

Twilight ruined the vampire. Actually the term vampire shouldn't be used. The correct being in the twilight series would be Glampire.

What vampire sparkles? Dracula didn't sparkle. If he did, he'd be a joke. Actually, all the characters in twilight are basically comedy relief.

/rant about terrible books/movies done.

P.S. I've read all of the books just to make sure I do not like them, yes they are terrible, but I made it through them. And SOME fanfiction ruins EVERY story.

Liquidus
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Arcadeus on Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:45 am

Exhibit A: This is a vampire, a hellish creature destined to feast on the blood of the living for all eternity.

Exhibit B: This is masturbatory aid for teenage girl.

For anyone who might take offense to this post, I'm just trying to make a point, nothing more, nothing less.

Arcadeus
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!