Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

The Purpose and Style of the Roleplay Post

a topic in The Library, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Scholars

An organized archive of roleplaying guides, including step-by-step, how-to, and general essays on theory.

The Purpose and Style of the Roleplay Post

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ylanne on Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:35 pm

1.) Every post must have a purpose. Either to advance the plot or advance character development, or both. Sometimes there can be a third purpose, but usually it's one of those two.

2.) Every post must be exactly and only as long as it needs to be. You hate it when you ask how long a teacher wants an essay to be, and he responds "As long as it needs to be." Well, he's right. Get the point across. Make the plot point. Fill in a few details on the character by means of showing them. Make it long enough to do those things, but no longer.

3.) Be sure there is a sense of place. You don't have to write four rambly paragraphs about the location. One or two sentences will often suffice, so long as you provide the other roleplayers/reader with an idea of where this is, what the atmosphere or milieu of the place is, and the like. It can be as simple as the character's perception of a room/area/etc.

4.) Be sure there is a sense of person. With few exceptions, there is no need to spell out the exact details of a character's outfit and physical appearance, but carefully chosen details can serve you very well - i.e. ink stains, coffeestains, uncombed hair, STYLE of dress (i.e. "He was dressed in soft, muted colors", or "She wore a flowing white skirt"), manner of speech (i.e. mumbling, avoiding eye contact, staring, commanding sharply, etc.), and such, when dispersed throughout the post, can paint the picture of a person without spending unnecessary paragraphs on verbose descriptions.

5.) Avoid discussing a character's memories or dreams too much. Done in moderation, in small dosages, and without the ever-annoying 'telling', memories or dreams can further shape your character in a roleplay. I suggest that if you include snippets of a memory or dream, they be exactly that - snippets, no longer than two sentences, average length ones, at that. Further, that these not be used in every post. More like once, possible a few times, in the course of a roleplay, at PIVOTAL moments, not whenever you feel the desire to include them.

6.) Write what needs to be written. What happens here? What is your purpose in writing this post? Fulfill it. Portray what needs to be portrayed. Don't worry if it is too short or too long. Proofread for grammar and spelling (and inconsistencies), and post.

7.) Typically, roleplay posts are in the third person, past tense. Use of the future conditional is advised against. Use your discretion when departing from the standard point of view in roleplay posts, and when in doubt, ask the GM of the roleplay in question - or simply refer to the rules.

8.) The roleplay post is typically expected to contain the point of view of one character only - yours - and if you are playing multiple characters who are not in the same location or conversation, it is considered considerate to clearly separate the segments. Sometimes, there is a need to include the actions or dialogue of NPCs as well, and in some roleplays, dependent on the GM and the other players involved, light forms of puppeting are considered acceptable for longer posts.

9.) Good roleplay posts are good writing. While there are some differences in the ways in which one is permitted to portray actions, thoughts, and characters' points of view, a good roleplay post will also demonstrate a good handle on vocabulary, syntax, effective use of detail, and other elements of style.

See also:
The Purpose of a Roleplay Post by Saladin
​“Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing.”
― Arundhati Roy

“The only way to survive is to take care of each other.”
― Grace Lee Boggs

“every day is another chance to practice living out the values that matter most to us. to be our best selves. to be the legacy we want to leave.”
― Mia Mingus

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Ylanne
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Storyteller Beta Tester Builder Cult Leader Concierge Tipworthy Donated! Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Re: The Purpose and Style of the Roleplay Post

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby GoodJobDino on Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:27 am

Bookmarked.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

GoodJobDino
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dig17 on Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:38 am

I'm absolutely gonna put this in my signature.

dig17
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ylanne on Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:43 am

dig17 wrote:I'm absolutely gonna put this in my signature.

As long as it's attributed to me.

Ylanne
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Storyteller Beta Tester Builder Cult Leader Concierge Tipworthy Donated! Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LordSaladin on Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:44 am

See also this post for a similar discussion on the purpose of a roleplay post.
Please tell me now what life is, Please tell me now what love is... Again, tell me what life is.

Tiko says: Saladin: Damn it, leave my hole alone.

LordSaladin
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 18 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Contributor Greeter World Builder Arc Warden Visual Appeal Tipworthy Lifegiver Person of Interest Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ylanne on Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:45 am

Combatant876 wrote:See also this post for a similar discussion on the purpose of a roleplay post.

Thanks for the link! I'll put it in somewhere in the first post as an additional reference.

Ylanne
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dig17 on Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:48 am

Lol forgot about the character limit in signatures....I totally would have put a link to it, along with the quote "Quædam iura non scripta, sed omnibus scriptis certiora sunt", but it's already maxed out :(

dig17
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Person of Interest Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!