Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: With Chat currently offline... An alternative » Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? »

Players Wanted: Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted » DEAD! »

When Rain Falls - Mature Content

a topic in Fantasy Roleplay, a part of the RPG forum.

If you would like to make your own roleplay based in a fantasy realm (dragons, elves, magic), use this forum. You will be in charge of all things related to your roleplay, so you're on your own here.

When Rain Falls - Mature Content

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Skuld on Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:56 pm

((OOC: For those players previously approved, here are your starting posts. I have separated it into five sections and each one involves the introduction that you sent me. If you cannot tell which one belongs to your character please PM me and I’ll tell you.

I do not use your character’s name in these posts, as my NPCs and your PCs have no officially met, and each introduction has an NPC that will basically be “assigned” to your character. It makes it easier for me to interact with you.

DO NOT RESPOND TO AN OPENING IF YOU ARE NOT SURE IT’S YOURS. Thanks, and I look forward to your responses.))

The messenger moved swiftly through the crowded late afternoon streets of the city. She could feel the presence of others, others like her. Their auras reached out to her, brushing gently against the shields and protections that she'd cast and carried on her person at all times. In a city of this size, with the crime and hate the people allowed themselves to experience she could not be too careful. Not at all. Her gloved hands were a good indicator of what she was, but for most it was the scarf around her neck, and long sleeved shirt in the middle of summer, that really gave the final clue.

I am coming for you, a voice whispered inside her head, ...clairvoyant...

Stepping into an alley as she passed it she began shaking her head violently, trying desperately to get the voice out of her head, and back to where it came from- wherever that was. This had been happening more and more in the recent weeks. Laine was sure it had something to with her master's ultimate goal, but it was not for her to pry into. She took the messages and passed them on, just as he asked, and if she was lucky she did it right the first time and was not punished.

It only took her a few more minutes to find her mark. She had watched him lift a wallet off a rather unsuspecting werewolf, and was not looking to find the rewards of his endeavour. As swiftly as she had before, she began walking once more and reached an un-gloved hand out, touching his skin, and sharing the instructions of her master. It was one of her gifts that he prized most, her ability both to receive and give visions with startling accuracy.

The images she was passing on made it through her own mind as well and she saw the man she had just found passing through the office doors of the master's building, the address displayed perfectly in the vision's view. There were other hints and clues, but the obvious message was, “Be here now, or better yet, ten minutes ago.”

When she finally released the man, he was in a daze. For those people that were not used to this sort of thing the first few times took a bit of getting used to. She put her glove back on and leaned in to whisper in his ear, careful not to touch her cheek to his, and said, “Make sure you go there...or you won't live to see tomorrow.”

She was gone as quickly as she had come, pleased with herself, and hoping, though she knew better, that instead of punishment she would receive reward.

---

The security system was a relatively easy one to tamper with and ultimately disable, and the man at work looked like he knew what he was doing. It was surprising to him how few people realize how little comfort something like an alarm system should be. But it didn't matter, as long as he followed his master's bidding, he knew that he was in the clear.

He had been relieved to find out what an easy task had been assigned to him this time around. It made for a short night and an early bed time. He didn't sleep well, and every bit of rest he could get were precious moments in the life of an insomniac. Well, not insomniac, really, but close enough that rest was still extremely important, and of late, even more important.

The lock shifted, and Valin was inside the building. He was not worried about more alarms, and as he flexed his metaphysical power out into the room before him he knew he had no reason to fear. The directions his master had given him were completely and totally flawless- as they always were. Heading for the stairs, he changed his mind at the last moment. Not that an exceptionally high number of flights was a deterrent physically, but time-wise, he was sure that the elevator was going to do him a lot more good.

A ding indicated the metal box had found its way to the first floor and up, up, up he went. Rising quickly, he found his way to his destination in no time at all. A map of the building was imprinted in his mind- he had been made to memorize it before leaving his master's presence. And after memorizing it he had been thoroughly tested. He would not forget the layout. Without a minute of exiting the elevator he had arrived at a closed door, and withdrawing a sealed envelope he slipped it under the door.

His powerful muscles gave him the strength and speed he needed to vacate the premise, must faster than he had entered. Valin knew that a dumb founded look would be all that could be seen on the faces of those who came to search for him. One of the few advantages of being what he was. A smile etched itself on his lips as he spirited farther and farther away.

---

The murder had been an accident, but not one that was all bad. His master had asked him to take care of the deal, and though he may not have meant “kill” he was sure there would be no punishment involved. Or so he hoped. That master tended to be fickle when it came to praise and punishment, and some days were on while others were off.

He knew that he would have to catch the girl after she parted ways with her man. Or partner. Or whatever they were. Gavin didn’t really care. The fact was he had to get her while she was alone. That was one thing his master had made perfectly clear. No one else was supposed to know about this. No one at all.

It took them a while to split, he had followed them most of the night, but when they finally did, he was on top of her. He knew that she could tell someone was following her. It was part of their blood, the same blood that ran hot in both their veins. She would be able to tell what he was just as he was as easily able to say the same about her.

He also knew what it meant for both of them. Fortunately he had no local ties to their group either.

“Before you say anything,” he said hurriedly, “all’s I have is a message. It’s from someone that you want to listen to or gets your damn throat cuts, that’s all’s I’m trying to tell ya.”

He thought about mentioning that it wasn’t about their local allegiance, but he was under the distinct impression that she would be able to tell that he had as little to do with then as she did. It was the smell, mostly, he thought to himself, we don’t reek.

He handed her a tape player with a small tape in it, and then took off running. All the instructions she needed to find the master were on the tape. All he had to do was give it to her. The master would be pleased that he had accomplished his goal and the murder would be forgotten about. He was sure of it. Or sure enough that he didn’t seem to care.

---

The sky was clouded over and the umbrella was not helping much as the trek from the road to the house continued. She was upset with herself for having volunteered, but then, quickly remembered that “volunteered” would not be the correct word for what had actually happened. “Coerced” maybe, “forced” would be another good way to put it, but either was she was not here of her own free will.

Teacher’s words kept running through her mind as she squished through the mud that had been created just for her. Only Lady Luck would have it that she would be traipsing through the country side, plane ticket in hand, trying to find a man that most the world didn’t believe existed. But what one is forced to do so must be done.

Raina finally saw the house in the distance, and as she did an alarm started ringing in her head. It was time to watch out for the things the Teach had told her. She was afraid of getting too far ahead of herself, and being too confident- as she was constantly reminded was one of her faults.

Fortunately, though, it didn’t take her long to find who and what she was looking for. It was obvious what the place before her was. The testing ground was radiating metaphysical energy. Someone was trying to conjure some pretty bad voodoo up in these parts, and it was not something she looked forward to being near. As a matter of fact ...

“James,” she yelled across the empty lot, “give him up. There is no need to fight this battle. The Teacher has already won.”

The building seemed to breathe a sigh of relief as a large box was rolled down the front steps. There were bars near the top, and there was obviously something large and scary it was hiding. Everything The Teacher was looking for and nothing Raina wanted near her.

“You will pay for both of us to be sent back to the village, and from there the airport,” she told the scientist. “For this, The Teacher will let you live. But remember, your work is his gain, and all that you are you owe to him.”

The man’s head fell, his eyes taking hold of the ground. “Yes, my lady,” he responded, a sense of resign carried about him. The Teacher had been right. He only had to send her and his will was done. What a long bout of servitude this would be.

---

He shifted flawlessly into the shape of the dead man before him. The dagger sticking out of the corpse’s back was little to take notice of, especially when he had so many important things to get to. He made sure to clean up the body, lifting it awkwardly into the tub, which had been filled with acid. It took seconds for the solution to start eating through the flesh and bone of the body, and within fifteen minutes it was completely gone. And with a wave of a hand the drain switch faced down and the tub began to empty.

Nicholas knew to leave it like that. Even if the police came here to check the house within the next few hours the liquid would evaporate long before then and no trace would be available. And since the man they were looking for still seemed to be alive, what more could anyone ask for?

He exited the mayor’s bathroom and headed for the stairs, going straight for his garage. His driver already had the car started and knew where they were headed. Nicholas had made sure to be ready early. He needed to beat his companion there by as much time as was possible. The importance of this mission was more than he even wanted to think about.

Having arrived at the restaurant and knowing that his dining partner had not yet arrived, Nicholas was seated, after many had stopped him, asking about the next elections campaign, questions that he skilfully dodged. He withdrew a letter from his pocket. Silver inked calligraphy graced the envelope and made the invitation look exactly that- inviting.

He set the letter down on the other place setting’s plate and stood, walking away. Within the casing was a letter addressed to a man The Teacher wanted to see. It listed the time, date, location and expected dress wear for the meeting and was signed, just as all of his students called him, The Teacher. Nicholas knew, even without having met the man the letter addressed, that the invitation would be accepted.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Skuld
GWC Veteran
Member for 19 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Contributor Lifegiver

Re: When Rain Falls - Mature Content

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jader on Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:49 pm

How long had it been since pleasant dreams visited him in what little rest he was able to obtain while under the twisted machinations of the scientist? How long had he been under the influence of narcotics to the point of complete and utter submission? It mattered naught to Vincent. The nightmares were always there. They waited, poised to assault every single atom of his molecular buildup. Yes, these nightmares not only assaulted the subconscious, but they also tore away at his flesh, hungry to feast upon the unique crimson nectar flowing through his veins.

"Voices?" Vincent muttered, awakening from his trance, but his eyes remained closed. He remembered being placed in a large titanium crate that not even he could break open, and knew his other senses would benefit if he just kept them closed. The man instead focused on the two senses of smell and hearing. Vincent caught the scent of asphalt, wet grass, and rain water. He heard the pounding of thunder and the wind sweeping through the nearby trees. Outside? But how?

Vincent concentrated completely on smell alone, and picked up the subtle essence of a woman. Naturally he became interested. How long had it been since he smelled the invigorating scent of a female? How long had it been since he had tasted one?

He slowly stood up in the crate, thankful that at least the maniacal scientist thought it proper to fit him in a crate where he could move about freely. Vincent then wrapped his fingers tightly around the iron bars for Raina to take notice of, but opted to keep the rest of his image hidden in the shadows.

"Pardon me, my dear, but would you be so kind as to undo the lock? I would rather not stay in this prison for an extended period of time. It makes me...uncomfortable," He spoke eloquently, and yet commanded great respect with his voice, which ripped through the wind and rain like a sword.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Jader
Member for 18 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Skuld on Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:00 pm

Raina:

Large hands wrapped large fingers around the bars of the cage the man was hidden in, and Raina knew that he was hoping to free himself. She knew better, though, for The Teacher had instructed her to keep him in his prison and not release him until he stood in the presence of his wisdom. She had also been warned that he would be convincing, even beyond the belief of her own imagining, but she was to resist the urge to give in, and remember the words of The Teacher, as was the first of his lessons.

It was not until after her captive spoke that she realized how terrifyling true her Teacher's words had been.

"Pardon me, my dear, but would you be so kind as to undo the lock," his voice was clean and clear. A resonating bass that cut through even the crackle of thunder and pounding of the rain. She was surprised to be caught off guard, but was unwilling to allow herself to fail her mission. She was her for a reason and with a purpose, and God help the man or woman who tried to pry her from her vicotry. "I would rather not stay in this prison for an extended period of time. It makes me...uncomfortable."

She laughed, a little. Had The Teacher thought her so weak to fall for such charms? Was this man so naive to think that she would fall the eloquence of voice? Even if her Teacher had not told her to keep the man locked up, she would not have released a giant from a metal box that she'd rescued from a mad scientist without being out of her mind. And she was not insane.

"Good sir," she responded, as lady-like as she was able, "I ask that you rest. You will not be released from your home in there until we have reached the United States. So I would get comfortable...it's going to be a long flight."

She laughed a little harder, waiting for the moment her cell phone would get reception so she could tell The Teacher of her victory.

Skuld
GWC Veteran
Member for 19 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Raic on Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:06 pm

A vintage Jaguar roadster rolled smoothly up to the valet station of a restaurant, its V-12 engine purred softly, as an invitation to fun. The valet opened the car door promptly allowing a man to flow from the front seat of the car and enter the restaurant.

Smiling warmly to the maitre d’ the man asked quietly, “Has everything been arranged as discussed, Phillip.”

The maitre d’ offers a nervous smile as he replied, “Well yes Sir, everything was arranged exactly to your wishes.”

“I am not sure I like the sound of that Phillip,” the man scrutinized the maitre d’ more closely and asked, “has the mayor arrived yet?”

“Well that’s just it Sir, the mayor did arrive as scheduled but promptly left. He left a note for you I believe at your table. Should I retrieve it for you Sir?” The maitre d’ then asked nasally.

“No Phillip, please make sure my car is out front when I return.”

“Of course Sir,” the maitre d’ nods in agreement deftly pocketing a 100 dollar bill as the man moved towards his table in the restaurant, dismissing the maitre d’.

He gracefully walked up to the table stopping to frown down on an envelope resting on his plate, elegant silver writing addressed with his name. The man reached down and lightly picked up the envelope, then slow scaned the restaurant, sharp eyes taking in every detail, his delicate fingers tapping the edge of the envelope. He turned and quickly exited the restaurant, hand waving the maitre d’ away, thinking to himself, No Phillip there will be nothing else tonight. He brushed past the valet, hopping into his car, and sped away from the restaurant.

The man drove down city streets his mind racing with old thoughts, not sure where he should go or what he should do. He took a calming breath, slowing the car down to turn into an empty lot, and parked. He pulled out a finely crafted slender knife and sliced open the envelope, carefully removing the letter from with in. Slowly he opened the letter and began to read.
Last edited by Raic on Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raic
Member for 17 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jader on Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:21 pm

"That is unfortunate. I'm sure that you have gathered that I have been kept a prisoner in this maniac's horrible and twisted abode for quite some time now. It would be nice to stretch my legs. What if I gave you my word that I would not harm a single hair on your beautiful head?" Vincent continued, and his grip tightened on the bars. They groaned in agony, which signified that he might be able to break them if he really wanted to.

If Raina looked closely enough, she could see the glint of midnight blue orbs gazing directly at her, and a few strands of coal black hair danced in front of Vincent's face as he awaited a response from the woman. A flash of lightning stretched across the expanse of storm clouds in the air, casting an eerie glow upon the small clearing where the scientist's laboratory was located. The light completely illuminated Vincent's face, and his expression went from kind and charming to completely maniacal. His grin widened, and his eyes flickered maliciously. If he weren't making that horrifying and blood hungry face at Raina, he might be considered very handsome.

"Two choices. Open it, or I'll force it open," He snarled like a caged animal, which is now what he appeared to be. The light faded, and he chuckled a bit with amusement as his handsome visage faded back into the shadows.

"Oh my apologies. You see, the dear old man's experiments always leave me with a splitting headache. Sometimes I'm just not myself. The United States? Can't we go to Germany or Russia? I have friends there. They will provide us the most hospitable accommodations," He carried on as if that small bout of violence had not just occurred, and as if he weren't even in a cage in the pouring rain with her standing in the rain as well getting drenched. The man spoke as if they were sitting in a cozy hotel room enjoying a bottle of 1812 Rolanberry Champagne.

Jader
Member for 18 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Skuld on Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:33 pm

As Sterling withdrew the letter from the envelope he was greeted by the following message:

Master Sterling,

It has been some time since we have connected, perhaps not even in this lifetime, which has been rather unfortunate. Because of this I am extending a friendly hand and hoping that you will come and join me for an evening.

This invitation requires no R.S.V.P. but I do expect you to be there.
Should you not, as you may, or may not, remember, your life, more specifically, your soul, will be mine.

My most pleasant regards,
The Teacher

Skuld
GWC Veteran
Member for 19 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Skuld on Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:42 pm

Raina:

His show had meant to scare her, possibly into letting him free, but she had seen The Teacher's face, and witnessed the glory and terror that was his power, so a man behind some bars was no horrifying sight. And little did he seem to know that if it came down to a fight, she was more than capable of holding her own. Had she not been The Teacher would not have sent her to retrieve such an important part of the plan. It was her responsbility to fulfill this part of the mission should they hope to continue toward their future.

It was soon into the man's babbling that they began their trip to the village. From the village they would pick up a plane that would take them to an international airport and they would be back inside the United States within twenty-four hours. It was not for another five that she would be able to use her phone, and so she was stuck with her mindless meaningless chatter of the monster in the cage.

She had caught a short glimpse of his blue eyes and black hair, and had he not been stuck behind his bars she may have found him attractive. But psychotic, mad scientist experiments were not her cup of tea. And unfortunately a pretty face wasn't the only thing that she required in a partner, and the way things seemed to be going, this one was a pretty face and bad temper- or bipolar, neither of which was a good catch. No, she would take this specimen back to The Teacher, and they would use him to accomplish their plans.

She couldn't tell if he was still speaking, she wasn't listening, and upon reaching the village, she was on her phone.

Skuld
GWC Veteran
Member for 19 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dovey on Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:51 pm

Her senses were flooded. Every part of her was on end. Her hands were shaking so much from the adrenaline, making the tape player in her hands clatter hollowly. She realized her teeth were bared.

Billie would have been lying if she said she wasn’t expecting an ambush like this. Loners had to watch their backs. But this attack was from the wrong type. Her nostrils were still flooded with something musky, male, and something that briefly triggered a memory but she was too distracted to place it.

No one came to help. No one stopped and stared. Whoever attacked her made sure she was alone.

“Fucker.”

She made a movement to pocket the tape player to take it back to her apartment, make some tea, go to sleep early, shake it all off. A chill settled on her skin when she recalled the gruff voice in her ear, delivering a message from someone who wanted to make it clear that he or she knew who she was. Her heart was thumping too hard for this to be a simple prank. It wouldn’t matter if they knew where she lived. They already did.

She scanned her surroundings once more. Her hands clenched nervously and pressed “Play.”

Dovey
Member for 18 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Tipworthy Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Skuld on Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:58 pm

When Billie pressed the play button a distinctly male voice filled the air around her saying:

Dearest Billie,

I've been watching your for some time. Ever since the exile, as a matter of fact. The goings on of city are something that I keep a very close watch on. Now, I know that you have taken a position with another...company, but the law and I have rarely seen eye to eye, and I have a mind to get you into my services.

I'm sure you can seen the conflict of interests at hand?

So, my dear, I need you to come to my office, the location, time and date of the meeting are listed on back of this tape recorder.

Be there. Or as I'm sure Gavin told you, you risk that pretty neck's integrity.

Humbly yours,
The Master

Skuld
GWC Veteran
Member for 19 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dovey on Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:59 pm

At the word “exile” a thrill of anticipation shot through her spine as she considered the possibility that this message was produced by another of her kind. No one else could possibly be interested in her business. Her exile was her pack’s responsibility to resolve, to eventually track her down and dispatch of her themselves. Without their protection she was a nothing on the hierarchy, someone with no affiliations, just a trespasser on dangerous territory.

Yet, none of her kind would play these cat-and-mouse games; even other packs wouldn't. There was an almost merciful chivalry to the system. No long-held grudges to consume them. A wrong step, a wrong scent, you die. A quick, honest death with no chance for explanation or honor.

To escape this fate she made pacts with others, ones that could protect her. Just as easily, she also broke these compromises, always looking for the next ones who could do the job better. She had connections that could offer her safety, but not all the time. Whoever sent this message knew it, and tonight they exploited it.

She waited until the message played to its end before she flipped the tape player over. In the dim light she could barely make out the directions.

Despite the crackling sound of empty tape, the polite but chilly voice continued to resonate in her head. Whoever this Master was, there was the undeniable hint of power. Even more pleasing, she didn’t have to fight for this opportunity. It was an invitation.

Dovey
Member for 18 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby quidhala on Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:53 am

Richard had returned from his prolonged absence in the wee, small hours and, without as much as a how-do, stomped off to his bedroom and collapsed, his face buried into his pillow.

“Wifey giving you troubles?” Hyntdralus quipped with its rough, throaty voice. Its master was having none of it and kicked the small black cat off the foot of the bed where it perched. It twisted its body as it silently flew through the air to rebound off the varnished dresser and land on all four paws in the plush white carpet. It stalked off towards the kitchen, chuckling. As it was leaving the bedroom door Richard grumbled something that was muffled by the pillow and Hyntdralus felt that familiar spark of electricity shooting through its body. It yowled as its body was racked with spasms. ‘Touchy!’

It roamed through the dark and empty apartment stretching out its aching muscles before going to the kitchen. It reared up on its hind legs and assumed a more or less human shape and opened the refrigerator door. Everything neatly arranged, it opened the meat drawer that was designated for its own food and removed a Tupperware container filled with chicken giblets. Closing the door the kitchen was once again cast in shadow and Hyntdralus plopped down on the smooth wood parquet, tearing off the lid of the container, releasing the ripe odor of aged meat. It stuffed a handful of the gamy treats into its wide mouth and chewed with uneven, somewhat jagged teeth. It sighed and leaned back against the cabinet when it noticed a sharp white shape on the dark floor of the entry way.

It walked over to see a sealed envelope laying there. It didn’t remember its master dropping anything when he had come in. Had some neighbor in the building shoved it under the door? At this hour? 'Odd.' Hyntdralus sniffed the envelope suspiciously but didn’t detect anything. It cautiously walked back to the bedroom where Richard was already sleeping heavily.

Hyntdralus shook its master’s shoulder as it tried to rouse him. “Richard
 Richard
 DICK! A letter for you.” It held up the envelope in its other hand.

“Leave me alone!” Richard mumbled. He turned his face up from the pillow and opened his bleary eyes staring into the black grinning face of the homunculus. Hyntdralus reached over to the nightstand and clicked the lamp on causing Richard to squint heavily. “WHAT THE FUCK?” Richard wined and rubbed his face back in the pillow to shield his eyes. “GO AWAY!” he yelled through the down of the pillow.

“Might be important.” Hyntdralus chimed cheerfully.

After much sluggishness and complaining Richard sat up on the edge of the bed and sloppily tore open the envelope with his finger.

quidhala
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Skuld on Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:12 am

The answer that awaited Richard and Hyntdralus was presented as follows:

Dear Gentlemen,

Richard, I am sorry to bother so soon after your return. It was my intention to put this off as long as I was able, but unfortunately that seems to be a much shorter time than I had originally anticipated. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience, and in the future will try to find a way to compensate for that.

But the time for nicities is at an end. I need you both to meet me, at the time and location listed below. This is not an option, Richard, and I ask that you not make me go through the trouble of demonstrating how serious I am.

Until then,
The Master

Skuld
GWC Veteran
Member for 19 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Skuld on Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:14 am

((OOC: ALL PLAYERS PLEASE SEE OUR OOC THREAD! I have updates and will tell you where we are going from here!

So, again, before you post, read the OOC thread!))

Skuld
GWC Veteran
Member for 19 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Raic on Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:54 pm

Sterling examined the invitation carefully, his elegant fingers admiring the quality of the tightly woven obsidian vellum. He opened his senses further, gently probed the writing, his brow furrowed in concentration, as a whisper of air and energy tenderly caressed the flowing letters of - pure silver.

With growing anxiety, answered by a warm burst of adrenaline, Sterling probed deeper, as he sensed for any trace of the power that had found him after all these years. Why now, his anguished mind cried, memories of ancient text and macabre rituals flooding in.

Sterling snarled his defiance, refusing domination. He clenched the invitation with rigid fingers trying to silence the Teacher’s call. He looked down on the invitation, and the dark creases that slashed the silver script, why an invitation at all he wondered when more effective ways could have invoked him. Maybe the Teacher does not know all of his secrets. He destroyed that knowledge long ago, and if somehow the Teacher uncovered his past, maybe he would be open to an arrangement, Sterling mused.

Girded with this lie, he gunned the engine, drawing strength as the power rumbled to life. He slammed the mahogany handled gearshift into place, sped out of the parking lot, wondering what influence the Teacher had over the Mayor. He darted through traffic with ease, the Jaguar’s stream lined form responded cat like to each turn of the wheel. Sterling slipped the car into his underground parking space below Sterling Towers, grabbed a black shafted cane engraved with symbols of power on its silver derby handle from the front seat along with the invitation, and climbed out of the car, tapping echoes in the garage with his cane as he strolled to the elevator. With practiced efficiency, he entered the security code, while the elevator hummed its journey from the penthouse floor. I could use a drink he thought to himself as he stepped into the elevator and pressed the button for the 40th floor.

Exiting the elevator into the sparse entry hall of the penthouse, he returned his cane to the rack by the doors, shrugged off his gray Armani jacket, and tossed it over the back of a chair. He continued to the bar and poured himself a drink. Crystal tumbler in hand he stepped to the window and looked down on a city of lights, sipping the perfectly aged scotch, he considered the preparations needed for his meeting with the Teacher.

Setting his drink down Sterling entered the master suite and changed into casual attire. Not sure what was in store for him, Sterling packed an over night bag just in case. Donning a black leather jacket, he returned to the entrance hall, tossed down his bag and unconsciously checked that his knives were in place. With a flourish, he wrote a note to his housekeeper Grace, retrieved his cane and tested the release button for the blade hidden with in. Confidence returned he settled the strap to his black lambskin bag onto his shoulder and stepped into the elevator.
Last edited by Raic on Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

Raic
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby quidhala on Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:58 am

Richard stared at the letter for an interminable period while Hyntdralus waited anxiously. His sleepy unshaved features had quickly taken on a look of concern, his brow lowered and creased in the middle. His eyes darted all over the page pausing here and there. There it was again, Richard’s eyes had once more flitted to the top of the page as he ran his hand through his mussed brown hair. He was definitely rereading it.

“Who is it from? What’s it sayyy?” Hyntdralus whined.

“We’re going on a trip.” Richard groaned with a froggy voice. He folded the letter in half and replaced it in the envelope, then set that on the night stand. He cleared his throat and took on his casual commanding tone. “Pack the large valise
 enough for three days. Jeans and a sweater too. Bundle up my other things. I’m going back to sleep.”

“But what does it sayyy?” Hyntdralus whined demandingly and reached for the envelope as Richard reclined back into bed.

“Leave it Hy! And do as your told!” his eyelids where almost shut again but his brown eyes glared into Hyntdralus’, beetled black, freezing it before it had grabbed the letter.

“But you’ve never taken me anywhere before? What’s up?” it asked softly like a pouting child. “Why don’t you take one of the others?” It was excited to go but wanted to know why its master had chosen it. Hoping and fishing for some kind of praise.

“You know why, now scat, cat! I need to get some sleep tonight.” He grabbed the corner of the duvet underneath him, rolled over taking the cover with him and dug his face into the bed.

Hyntdralus shutoff the light and stomped away, slamming its large padded foot-paws hard onto the floor, though the carpet absorbed most of the sound. Hyntdralus “knew why” alright, its master was too lazy to call on proper help. He was still green and didn’t have enough stamina to hold onto anyone better. Inside the large walk-in closet it went through the cases and the clothes Richard liked. It found a set of jeans that had never been worn, creases still intact, a rugged grey and black pair of Merrel’s. After some poking around it found a white and red holiday jumper. Holding the knit monstrosity up in its clawed black hands, Hyntdralus shot a laugh through its nose and then folded the sweater up with the others things. ‘There we are, Pokey. Enjoy that.’

Coming out of the closet and back into the room, Hyntdralus had the large case hoisted up onto its back. The smooth leather slid with each step across its short black fur. Richard was barely breathing. His deep sleep was almost a state of prolonged diving, like a whale or a dolphin. Everything slowed to the point of almost being stopped; metabolism, pulse, breathe, even his sluggish human brainwaves got slower if you could believe that. Walking to the door, Hyntdralus looked at the nightstand and clicked its tongue. The letter lifted up on a current of rising air and glided to Hyntdralus’ outstretched hand.

Hyntdralus walked to the end of the hall where it terminated into a wall lit by the light cast from the window. A family photo hung there in a gilded frame. Hyntdralus looked up at the photo and whispered a sweet unintelligible sound from its thin black lips. The cheeks of Richard’s wife in the photograph flushed red and she cast her eyes down bashfully.

‘Charming as always, Vic. That is definitely the most creative enchantment he’s ever done. Richard was a sentimental sap, even with
’

The wall sunk backwards a bit and then the plaster cracked down the middle like a forked lightning bolt, strangely enough making only a clicking noise like a metal latch. With an oddly muffled crunching sound the sundered wall continued to shatter into smaller and smaller shards until it was gone, leaving a black doorway. The picture still hung suspended in the air above Hyntdralus’ head. It walked inside its master’s private study to collect the other things.

quidhala
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dovey on Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:20 pm

Nice, she thought, after committing the meeting time and location to memory. Don’t give you any time to think it over. It’s either do or get your throat cut.

She hesitated for a moment, repulsed by her utter trust in this message. Why should she even listen what it said, about threatening her if she didn’t show up. Who was this Master? Who exactly was Gavin? Why should she trust a voice that exuded so much power
 What could it be? A job interview? Some job interview, she thought darkly. Forget it, she dismissed. It was stupid of her to hang around so long in the dark without a weapon.

The handheld tranquilizer gun holstered in her shoulder rig didn’t count. It was a weapon of self-defense. She didn’t use it unless she really had to, that is if she had to incapacitate someone. Otherwise, she shot to kill. That would defeat the purpose of self-defense.

To the watching bypasser, her nondescript apartment hopelessly lacked security. All she could do was keep moving from apartment to apartment and keep as low a profile as possible. In as much, her apartment was spare; all that she owned couldn’t fill up a suitcase.

She cautiously unlocked the front door with a key, grabbed a crowbar from the umbrella stand, and silently perused each room, her eyes dilated like cat eyes and her muscles on trigger.

A glow came from the bedroom. Her hands tightened on the neck of the crowbar until her knuckles gleamed. But it was only her laptop monitor, glowing serenely in the dark as it displayed a lone widget that showed the phases of the moon.

Tucking the crowbar casually under her arm, she started packing a slouchy purse. She methodically strapped a knife to her ankle, a concealed gun holster to her front, and readjusted her shoulder rig. These were the weapons of a hunter, but she called them weapons of self-defense; she was more apprehensive of what she would meet on her way there rather than what she would meet there.

She patted her clothing to make sure nothing showed, and checked herself in the mirror. If only she had a pearl gray silk blouse to bring out her eyes or something dressier. No jewelry—she was accustomed to moving silently without the jingle of bangles.

Her purse was still empty except for a stick of lipstick and a compact mirror. She shrugged to herself and took it with her anyway, if only to make her look more formal; she had completely neglected dressing herself and went out with what she’d worn all night—a shearling jacket, a plain shirt, belt, jeans, and boots. She pulled her hair back with an elastic that made her woolly hair fluff up behind her head like a fuzzy halo.

Just as she was about to lock her apartment behind her, she noticed the crowbar still tucked under her arm. “Damn,” she said to herself, rolling her eyes and put it back into the umbrella stand.

Dovey
Member for 18 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Axanthisis on Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:01 am

“Make sure you go there...or you won't live to see tomorrow.” And she walked off.

Timothy stood for a moment, trying to discern what had happened. He was supposed to go to a meeting. He had never been there before, but it's exactly location was implanted deeply in his mind.

Timothy was never one to take directions, but he wasn't stupid. If someone's servant can talk into your mind, then they have the right to make threats. At least, that's what he assumed. What was all this? For the better part of his life, Timothy remained small. Unnoticed by others. After all, his job warranted a low profile. Until now, he thought he had been successful at this end. Timothy pocketed the wallet. "So much for lunch." He thought, as he headed towards the address. "What am I getting myself into...?"

Axanthisis
Member for 17 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!