Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

The Life Noir

1920's: Info, Art, Music, and general Blabbing.

a part of “The Life Noir”, a fictional universe by Jadeling Hawkins.

Takes place in the 1920's, New York, New York. Told in the classic Film Noir style, the goal is to explore the reality of good intentions versus evil actions, the complexities of relationships when law, social status and past decisions are inserted into t

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “The Life Noir”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

1920's: Info, Art, Music, and general Blabbing.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jadeling Hawkins on Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:35 am

Hello, hello, hello.

It has been requested in another thread of mine, Life Noir, that we have a separate thread in which to share artwork, music, photos, and various other whatnots that help inspire or otherwise remind us of our 1920's based game, The Life Noir.

Now, you do not need to be involved in the game in order to post in this thread. Really all that's necessary is either an interest in or obsession with the Roarin' Twenties, and all things related. Do you like Who Framed Roger Rabbit? Well, that actually takes place in the 1940's. But it's the same basic principal. Do you have an interest in jazz music? In Cops 'n Robbers style games? Well, welcome and enjoy the who, what, when, where, and all that other stuff involved here.

I ramble.

Here's the OOC thread for The Life Noir, if you are interested.

In the meantime, here's some cool 1920's type stuff:

Information and slang. This is actually a very nice little site, with tons of lingo and info...check it out!

More slang, but not much else. Still pretty good.

Even more slang!

Also, here's a site with a great comic that this game will have much the same feel as, given the basic set up...of course, the comic's characters are all cats...and ours won't be...but it's still awesome, so check it out.

And here's a small comic that makes me laugh a great deal: http://splashed-ink.deviantart.com/art/ ... e-33227699

And last but (hopefully) not least, here are some pictures I've drawn inspired by the characters in The Life Noir:

Dorothy Helen:

Mama Millie May:

Detective Remy Bruyere:

Fiona Muirenn:

Well, I hope you enjoy all that ^^ Odds are I'll be putting up even MOAR as time goes on. Do you have anything you'd care to add? Please do!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Jadeling Hawkins
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy

Re: 1920's: Info, Art, Music, and general Blabbing.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby NorthernSoul on Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:53 am

New York in the 20s:

Millie (in normal woman mode):
Actually a picture of a black civil rights activist who's name is currently escaping me...

Dorothy:
Both are Louise Brooks.

Ben:
Actually Franz Lederer, a Czech silent film actor.

Fiona:
Obviously Katherine Hepburn but I couldn't find very many pictures of a woman wearing a suit from the time period; it simply didn't happen. But maybe something along the lines of YSL's 'Le Smoking'?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

NorthernSoul
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby daughterofdon on Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:39 pm

Those are all really fitting pictures, Northern! I especially like the one of the guy at the typewriter.

I've got some more:

St. Patrick's Cathedral, since it was mentioned... and it's just so gorgeous!

A St. Louis officer in 1923, standing outside of a cigar shop, I believe.

A mounted officer in Boston. I used this picture for reference for my Lance painting.

A 1926 police sergeant.

More 1926 New York cops. I imagine this would have been the sort of picture that Fiona would have seen of Sgt. Knightley.

And Faye Dunaway as Bonnie Parker--she kind of reminds me of Fiona. Although she's supposed to be more of a 30s style.

And if I'm going to put in a picture of Bonnie, I might as well include one of Clyde--since he's just so cute. :)

daughterofdon
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jadeling Hawkins on Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:00 pm

I'm loving all these! You guys have found some beautiful images that really do look like they could be screencaps of our lovely story :D

Also, here's another portrait for the series I'm doing:

This one's Patrick "Guns" O'keefe ^-^ It took me a while to get his done, just because I struggled to really grasp his character for some reason. I think it came out okay, though!

Jadeling Hawkins
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jadeling Hawkins on Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:18 pm

And here's Miss Brigit Muirenn!
I just think she's adorable. She came out pretty much exactly as I intended...Just look at those freckles! And that cap! I imagine she would be much more alluring in a different outfit, but this is what she's wears. Can't you just see her throwing herself at Mr. Guns up there? XD

The chains in her border, by the way, were inspired by Patrick's thought process after she stole that little snog. Hehe.

Jadeling Hawkins
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Irish Wolf on Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:48 pm

I love Guns and Brigit Jade, you rock.

Anyways, I decided to post a few pics of the firearms our characters might find themselves welding.

First off will be Pat's favored sidearm, the Colt .45

On to a revolver

Up next, the C96, the pistol Pat gave Brigit

We'll jump next to the Luger

Now two kinds of shotguns. First is the Winchester 1897 and then the RemingtonMd11 (the first semi-auto)

The Thompson Submachine Gun with drum magazine, Pat's favored primary weapon

And finally, the Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR)
Its easy to be brave behind a castle wall
Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion
A king's son is no nobler then the food he eats

Irish Wolf
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Phedre on Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:20 am

Brigit is so cute! I think she actually might be my favorite so far. :)
All knowledge is worth having.

Phedre
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jadeling Hawkins on Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:58 am

Thanks Phedre! And IW, it is indeed nice to see some of those beautiful guns :D

Here's two more for the portraits!

Here's Lacey, the unusually timid prostitute. I'm happy with how her portrait turned out, but unfortunately we haven't heard from her player in...quite some time. I'm not sure where she is, really. Anyway, for her background, I had a bit of inspiration from Les Miserables. If anyone's ever read the book, it describes the mother of Cosette, a beautiful and very down on her luck woman named Fantine (I think) as having a 'dowry made of pearls in her mouth and gold in her hair,' and such and such. She eventually is driven to prostitution as a means of supporting her daughter after being forced out of her real job, and made me cry by dying. *cough* So, I gave Lacey jewels in the background...and then a bunch of lace doilies over those XD Maybe that doesn't make any sense. But it did while I was doing it!

And here's Ben the down on his luck journalist! I really like this guy (and his player, accourse ;) ), he has a lot of personality. At one point he's making fun of himself for making money by selling cheap cheesy romance stories to some woman's magazine...I laughed quite a lot. I may have gone overboard on his once-broken nose...in fact, I'm pretty sure I did. But these portraits are all kind of stylized...Anyway, you might be wondering about his background. Well, he's a journalist who seems to be tempted to snoop in the shadows of the speakeasies he frequents...following tracks, hmmmm? And those tracks happen to be from a grizzly bear. You know what happens when you follow grizzly bear tracks? Eh? Eh?
Oh, and he's described as having 'almost fragile' pale blue eyes...I hope I conveyed that well XD

Jadeling Hawkins
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby NorthernSoul on Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:40 pm

Love the portraits, Jadeling! Ben is spot on, broken nose and all.

NorthernSoul
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby daughterofdon on Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:41 pm

Those are cool portraits! Jadeling, are you going to do anymore? It seems like you've covered everyone... except for Charlie, Lance and Shin--and the new characters that we haven't really met yet. I'd love to see what you'd do for Lance--but no pressure!

By the way, since Irish posted his guns, I'll post what Lance carries:

A Colt .38 revolver, 4" barrel. This specific gun was actually used by the police in St. Louis. Irish, since you seem to know a lot about firearms, what's the difference between a .32 and .38? It looked to me like the .32 is older, but it was also used by the police force in those days--although especially around the turn of the century.

I've read that the police used the submachine guns, too. But I imagine those would come out when they're dealing with the gangsters. This revolver would just be what Lance carries while he's on duty.

daughterofdon
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Irish Wolf on Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:44 pm

Well .32 and .38 refer to the caliber of the weapon. In firearms, the caliber is the approximate diameter of the bullet used. In a rifled barrel, the distance is measured between opposing lands or grooves; groove measurements are common in cartridge designations originating in the United States, while land measurements are more common elsewhere. This is very important when handloading, as the bullet should closely match the groove diameter of the barrel to ensure a good seal.

When the barrel diameter is given in inches, the abbreviation "cal" is used in place of "inches." For example, a (small bore) rifle with a diameter of 0.22 inch is a .22 cal; however, the decimal point is generally dropped when spoken, making it "twenty-two caliber."

Calibers of weapons can be referred to in millimeters, as in a "caliber of eighty-eight millimeters" (88 mm) or "a hundred and five-millimeter caliber gun" (often abbreviated as "105 mm gun").

now on the point of the police welding submachine guns, yes they did, at the very end of the gangster era.

Irish Wolf
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby daughterofdon on Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:44 am

Thanks for the lesson on gun calibers, Irish! You said that police used submachine guns at the end of the gangster era--does that mean that 1923 would be too early to have the NYPD pull out a tommy gun?

By the way, I have made some more Life Noir art... a Fiona piece; a take on the one with her in a Jessica Rabbit costume. She came out looking like a pin-up... pretty smokin'! And I added some identifying details to her--like the clover pin, her cross necklace, and of course a gun in a partially concealed leg holster. I haven't done much work in markers--but they have finally clicked for me, I think!

And here's a close-up of her face and upper-region. I liked how it looked when I overlapped my pencil drawing with the marker color. Ignore the writing--that was just a note to myself.

daughterofdon
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Irish Wolf on Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:56 am

Why yes it is, or at least for a officially issued weapon for a policeman to carry and I love the pic of Fi! Damn why do I have to rp with such artsy people? (only says this because the best Irish can do is stick people)

Irish Wolf
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jadeling Hawkins on Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:18 pm

Wow! DoD, that's awesome! :D She looks so glamorously dangerous! Which is, basically, how she is...heehee! I particularly like the gun strap XD So Fiona. Maybe I should have her show up for her date with Lance dressed like that. You think he'd like it? XD

Jadeling Hawkins
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jadeling Hawkins on Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:05 am

Well, here's the last two (for now) portraits!

My own detective, Charles Wallenstein :) AKA Charlie, or Wally (but the latter only by Fiona, and so he dislikes it immensely). I really like Charles, though one might not guess as much by the amount of abuse I put him through ^^; He's probably the most idealistic character I've ever created. Well...yeah, probably. He's the sort of person who truly, honestly believes that he can improve the world with grit. Sadly, he faces corruption in various forms every day :( But don't give up, Charlie! Anyway, his background: The jigsaw pieces. Well, I think that one's kind of obvious. He's a detective...puzzle pieces...they just fit. *giggle* Also, his expression...I considered having him blank, smiling, rolling his eyes, and any number of other things...but I ended up with this. I imagine he gets exasperated quite a lot. Or maybe this is how he look when Fiona blew up his car as a 'joke.' Hehe.

And at last, Sergeant Lance Knightley! I just love how DoD's gone about with this guy, taking Sir Lancelot from the Arthurian tales and transporting him into a 1920's deal...it's just so awesome! I based his portrait off of one of the images she herself provided of a 1920's cop, and I'm quite pleased with how it came out. He had to be handsome, but also adorable...and I think I pulled that off pretty well :) At the very least I can see Fiona quite content playing with his buttons (in every meaning of the phrase possible). :D His background is a little more complicated than Charles'. It's supposed to be smoke. Why smoke? Because Lance, while brave and sweet and idealistic regarding right and wrong, leads a very 'smoky' life. He's had an affair with his commissioner's wife, flirted with a suspected gangster, and dipped his toes in a serial murder case. He's brushed up against some serious flames, but so far all we've seen is the smoke.

Is that cheesy? Sorry.

Jadeling Hawkins
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Phedre on Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:35 am

Jadeling, those pictures are awesome. :) Good job!

On another note, this whole thing has totally gotten me inspired. I'm going to host a Speakeasy Murder Mystery Party in Feb. :D I think it will be so much fun and I've actually gotten a few ideas from the rp itself. Maybe I can put up some pictures after the party if the rp is still going.

Phedre
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby daughterofdon on Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:34 am

Oh man, oh man! I love what you've done, Jadeling! I love Charlie (both as a character, and your portrait of him). I really do love how he's idealistic, and probably our 'purest' character. You've got to have someone who's good no matter what.

Lance, on the other hand, is not reliably good. But boy is he smokin' hot!! I love that portrait so much, Jadeling-- thank you, thank you! I can tell that you used that one old picture of the good-looking St. Louis cop--but you've made this Lance and Jadelified him--and he's adorable!! I'll rave more about him on your deviantArt, I'm sure! :D

And as for Fiona wearing that get-up to her Friday-night date... yeah, Lance's eyes would pop out of his head and will start howling and slobbering like a wolf--and then he would arrest her for indecent exposure. :D

By the way, Phedre, that awesome that you're going to have a 20s-themed party. This game is bringing me back to my high school days, when my class had a marathon dance. It was so neat--everyone (or almost everyone), dressing up in flapper garb and fedoras and suspenders. I painted a lot of 20s-styled posters for it, and we learned the slang and we all had numbers pinned to our backs, like the real thing. My only grievance was that I don't have pictures, and they didn't play hardly any period music. But I had so much fun, dancing in my little pin-stripe pants and suspenders!

daughterofdon
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jadeling Hawkins on Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:58 pm

Thanks guys! DoD, I'm glad you like Lance's pic :D I'll post it on DA when I can...for some reason I'm having difficulty posting anything over there.

And you got to do a marathon dance? That's so cool!

Also, as a side note...I did in fact find a dress that Fiona will be wearing on 'Friday' :D It's a 1920's dress that I think is absolutely gorgeous! Have I mentioned that I am completely in love with the clothing of this era? COMPLETELY.

Image Image Image Image

Jadeling Hawkins
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby daughterofdon on Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:07 pm

Yeah, I can't submit anything on dA either. So I'll rave some more right here--I just can't get over how great your pic of Lance turned out! I was thinking of using that old photo for reference too (in fact, I started a sketch), but it didn't turn out for me--but you made it work! Love those brown eyes, and that leather strap on his hat, and the clever background. Slam dunk, girl--slam dunk!

And holy smokes, that dress is... mind-blowing! It must have cost Fiona a fortune--look at all of those little beads! I love the costumes of this era, too. In fact I was just looking through vintage clothing sites for reference for another drawing I've started, which hopefully I'll have up to show sometime. Oh man... why don't women dress so elegantly anymore?

But I think that dress is a perfect riff off of that Jessica Rabbit dress--you know, same color scheme, but more 20s fashioned and a bit more modest. I can't stop looking at it! I'm sure Lance will be the same way. :)

By the way, I made a little painting last night for fun. Fiona's pinstripes were very fun!

So, Lance and Fiona weren't that cozy, but I just found picture reference for this that was adorable. It makes me think of what our story would be like it if it were a cutsy musical. I just have so much fun wooing your characters, Jadeling. It must be because you have such awesome leading ladies!

daughterofdon
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Irish Wolf on Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:05 pm

Damn all you artsy people! damn thee damn thee damn thee!

Nice painting by the way.

Irish Wolf
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!