Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

IQ-achievement discrepancy

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

IQ-achievement discrepancy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aniihya on Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:30 pm

If you haven't heard of the term before, it suggests that people who have an IQ-achievement discrepancy tend to achieve less than their measured IQ suggests. I am bringing this up because I am affected by it. My measured IQ would say I am highly gifted (above 140) however I am an underachiever compared to what people would normally expect of someone of that field. There are people who are affected even worse by such a discrepancy. And it become more common among the higher ranges.

My problem is that after secondary education (high school), I started to develop test anxiety, concentrational problems and an overall demotivation when it came to education due to lack of positive reinforcement. I ended up getting "negative reinforcement" such as pressure, people telling me to grow up and other things.

So I am stuck as an unemployed shut-in who is hoping to get a position at a tech school for people with physical and mental disabilities (not intellectual or learning disabilities though, but rather like people with high functioning autism, sensory processing disorder and schizotypal disorders). I just hope that they can offer me help in overcoming test anxiety and can teach math correctly so that I can effectively use floating point numbers, cosin and sin in programming.

Have you or a family member experienced such problems?
Everybody! Unless you have been in a roleplay with me in the past and were loyal to it, do not PM or text me about joining your RP.

I do NOT do Pokemon, Yugioh, WoW or any such RPs.

Please be aware of this.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Aniihya
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Tipworthy Tipworthy Visual Appeal Person of Interest Lifegiver

Re: IQ-achievement discrepancy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sara Whitley on Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:18 am

I think for people to tell you to "just grow up" is very unfair.

The problem with IQ is it suggests that intelligence can be generalized into a score after measurement, and that score is used as a baseline for rough correlations to such things as achievement. So I think IQ-achievement discrepancy models in psychology (which is a highly speculative science that predates the emerging modern neurosciences) is kind of an unfair label for society to be using. The brain is, at many levels, irreducibly complex. My reasoning is this:

The motivation and positive reinforcement conditioning mechanics in the brain seem to lie primarily in the neurotransmitter dopamine, and the relative anatomical size and receptor density of regions of the limbic system associated with sensations of reward, which are very high in dopamine receptors. Furthermore, dopamine knockout mice in laboratory experiments did not express any motivation or pursue any rewards, and experienced the symptoms of irregular dopamine functioning--depression and anxiety. However, they were otherwise functional and even expressed gratification when fed by the scientists. Without rambling on too much, I do think the evidence for motivation being inseparably tied to the dopamine system is very substantial, and anxiety resistance, depression resistance, and motivation/drive all rely on it working just right.
While dopamine does have some effect on cognition, an IQ test is measuring responses from different areas of the brain, responsible for different cognitive functions. Perhaps most heavily stressed during an IQ test is the frontal lobe, which performs many of our higher cognitive abilities and is often called the seat of humanity. Regions responsible for motivation, drive, and anxiety resistance lie mainly in the deeper, more 'ancient' (in an evolutionary sense) limbic system. The limbic system dates back at least as far as reptiles--the cortices used in human cognition, however, are relatively new.

TLDR; So I believe, based on a growing body of evidence and research, that IQ and motivation (the primary drive for achievement) are not strictly correlated. You can be highly intelligent, while at the same time not feel very motivated. Very often with IQ-achievement discrepancy, anxiety and depression are intertwined factors. It doesn't really mean as much to your IQ as people might think it does.
Creator of the Fantasy Sandbox roleplay.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Sara Whitley
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Arc Warden Lifegiver Tipworthy Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dealing with it on Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:21 pm

IQ is a good measure of academic performance; unfortunately, academic performance is not the best measure of success. What ends up happening is people with high IQ's get pressured into the professor role, where -- in the safety of academia -- their ideas will never see the light of day. A university is a lot like a mental hospital. How many teachers actually make sense to people of average intelligence?

There are other tests that measure potential for success a lot better. The emotional intelligence test is an example.

dealing with it
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 13 years
Contributor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Greeter Beta Tester Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aniihya on Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:44 pm

Well as I understood it, it is about the intelligences in general and not just the classical IQ but a newer definition of IQ that also includes EQ and SQ which can both be factors of success as emotional intelligence and social intelligence are often necessary for success. Depending on some jobs even creative intelligence plays a role. My lack of success may be due to a low EQ and below average SQ.

Aniihya
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Tipworthy Tipworthy Visual Appeal Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby RedWolfe on Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:38 am

I got an IQ test and scored quite high. Despite the fact that it boosted my ego I don't agree with the use of these tests to define things such as 'potential to succeed', even if it be in consideration with the developing EQ tests and social aptitude. I find it hard to explain at times, but I think those tests should be done with reasoning, as mine was. A long while ago when I was younger and it revealed that I also had a tendency of hyperactivity and attention deficit. The only reason I didn't get medication was because I was doing well in school. Meanwhile and still, I believe it does affect my social life. Others not so much, but myself internally. But because I'm 'bright' and driven that doesn't seem to matter. I was told, while not understanding it at the time, that there was no need to seek help because my grades weren't suffering.

Relating back to IQ-achievement discrepancy, the focus should not be on the success or through how a person shows their academic ability because that isn't the be-all-end-all (although it may help). A person's mental health and social life is critical and can affect /all/ (how italics?!) aspects of life. To me that should be before success and concerns of intelligence and grades on the basis of future financial stability.

RedWolfe
Member for 12 years
Author Conversationalist Novelist Person of Interest Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!