Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

All Roads: The Journey

All Roads: The Journey

a part of “All Roads: The Journey”, a fictional universe by Aeroron.

Earth's magnetosphere has collapsed, and civilization has been driven underground. Rumors of the fabled Roma, a city of refugees, drives a group to solve puzzles, overcome difficulties, and make life or death decisions to discover the truth.

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “All Roads: The Journey”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Re: [OOC] All Roads: The Journey

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alan23 on Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:37 am

So let's hope Aeroron's computer problems won't give this game the big A! :)

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Alan23
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aeroron on Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:26 am

In the time I've been away to fix my computer, I was able to think up some great plot elements. [My computer is fixed now! Hurray!] You're in for an adventure, A Team.
But now It's time for me to post some important information about the roleplay! I'll start the first informational post by talking a little about the apocalypse. In this case, the collapse of the magnetosphere.

So what is a magnetosphere?
The magnetosphere is the interaction between Earth's magnetic field and the charged particles emitted from the sun. The magnetic field is generated from the iron core in the center of the Earth. It produces electromagnetic energy from its motion, and works like a giant magnet to repel the otherwise harmful solar flares. This field also provides orientation for compasses.
What could make it collapse?
There are several events that led to the collapse of the magnetosphere in this roleplay. The first event was a powerful gamma ray burst. This burst, which traveled over 50,000 lightyears, was the pulse of a magnetar's collapse. [A magnetar is a powerfully magnetic star] This burst weakened the magnetosphere by overloading it with radiation. The event was not catastrophic, and no change was observed; in fact, events like this are fairly common. However, no one could foresee the events to follow.
The second event was an increase in solar activity. The Sun's surface fluctuates with flares and magnetic pulses. This is also a typical event, and no particular notice was paid to it.
The third event, however, sentenced Earth to certain doom. The magnetosphere manually reverses itself, and scientists had agreed that a complete reversal was long overdue. During the reversal process, however, the magnetosphere collapsed under the bombardment of solar particles and radiation. In the time that this roleplay is set in, the magnetosphere is virtually non-existent. Typically, the magnetosphere is shaped like a boat, with the front pointed to the sun; however, now the side is turned to the sun, which provides much less protection. The magnetosphere literally has its "broadside to the current".
What happens when it collapses?
Since the magnetosphere has yet to completely collapse, the effects are much less severe than they could be. However, they are still quite severe, nonetheless. Here are some things that are affected by the cosmic events: compasses, satellites and GPS are unable to recognize the cardinal directions. The reversal is able to knock out power grids, widen holes in the ozone, send polar auras across the pacific, and confuse migratory animals which rely on a steady magnetic field. Ultraviolet radiation, which can now freely enter the atmosphere, will cause temperature increases [essentially cooking everything slowly], cause the yield of crops to decrease, and would cause a rise of cancer rates.
Has this happened before?
Yes, this is in fact why Mars is uninhabitable.
Looking for an immersive roleplay experience? I suggest All Roads: The Journey.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Aeroron
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aeroron on Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:03 pm

Hello again, all! I hope these posts will be helpful and informative, and if any detail is unclear, please do speak up. This post will deal with basic living conditions in the post-apocalyptic world.

How is daily life affected by the Apocalypse?
Essentially, the electromagnetic field that had been keeping Earth safe collapsed. This collapse affected electricity, magnetism, and increased the ultraviolet radiation penetrating Earth. Therefore, anything relying on electricity or magnetism is rendered virtually useless. Motors and generators are therefore unreliable for continuous use. Any electronic transactions are no longer viable. Since the cosmic blast was powerful enough to erase the information off of computers, credit cards, etc, the only money anybody has available is the cash they had on-hand pre-apocalypse. The electricity and water supply grids had been shut down, and are unavailable to the general public. Similarly, factories were unable to get the energy they need to run, and had shut down. This means that all factory produced products are no longer in production; this includes food products. [more on food production in a later post]
What resources are available?
Whatever is salvageable after the apocalypse. In the first years after the apocalypse, many stores were looted, and at the point of 12 years in, stores no longer function to sell products. Extreme hunting and gathering has made it that resources are harder to come by.
How are supplies acquired?
Supplies are acquired from trading. Since all currencies hyper-inflated, money is essentially useless. The only way to get something is to trade something for it, or to steal it.
Do people still have occupations?
In the business sense, no. Nobody is sitting in an office filing papers and getting a paycheck. However, occupations such as being a trader, medic, or farmer are still pursued.

Aeroron
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Eva on Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:09 pm

I will go ahead and post a character soon, probably tomorrow.

Eva
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aeroron on Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:11 pm

Alright; let's go ahead and start this roleplay up. It looks like everybody is ready to begin, or at least nearly so. You are free to start your first posts! Below, I've posted some general things to keep in mind, and to give you some direction if you have no idea where to begin.
All the characters are probably not starting off in the exact same location to begin with. They'll probably be scattered around Brisbane, and will meet up in subsequent posts. This is your chance to flesh out your character, since they're all alone, and not yet in a group.
Some things to consider including in your first post: the exact location within Brisbane, your character's personality, their hopes or plan for survival, the scenery, what your character is holding, where your character wants to go, and how they feel about being a part of the apocalypse.
How often will you post? I'm going to be taking more of a GM standpoint in this roleplay. I'll be controlling the NPC Gus, and bring the group together and start off the journey with his advice. I hope to leave the roleplay to the players, and let you decide where to go from there. I'll of course be providing local scenery, NPCs, cultural references, and setting up new scenarios and challenges for the group.
How often should I plan on posting? I'm not going to set a limit on how frequently you must post. I'm going to leave that up to simply how much time everyone is able to contribute to this roleplay. One post a day should be more than adequate. Though twice a week is bordering on being too inactive.

Aeroron
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alan23 on Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:29 am

Well, I gave an exact location all right - just for interest, NG House really exists on the corner of Grey and Melbourne Streets, just as stated. Anyway, hopefully someone will come along soon and interact...

Alan23
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby danm36 on Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:26 pm

Added a post using the best knowledge Google Street View can bestow upon me. Anyone feel free to be part of the gang or a hostage of the gang if you wish.

danm36
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alan23 on Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:10 am

danm36, pretty good Brisbane geographical knowledge considering you had to do it via Google! You might also have mentioned the reservoir that gives Waterworks Road its name - ideal spot for snipers! That area is known as being mostly upper middle class residential, which was a poignant choice. Khan has a fair trudge to make it to the remains of Brisbane CBD though... I wouldn't fancy the walk.

Alan23
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aeroron on Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:31 am

I'd like to introduce the newest member to the roleplay- Adelaide. She's an NPC, though I'll get around to making a character sheet for her eventually. I'm hoping that having her in the area will help gather the group together, or at least get everyone nearer to Augustus. Hurray for more "A" names!
A new post has been added, featuring both Augustus and Adelaide. Also, Google street view was a useful tool for me as well. I hope I didn't make any glaring mistakes, though please point them out if I did.

Aeroron
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby NightyKnight on Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:17 pm

Ali's first post is up. Sorry if that took a while, and sorry if it seems lacking. I'm never very good with first posts.

If you need anything more in the post, let me know.
'When you're finally in my arms, look up and see..
Love Has A Face'

NightyKnight
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alan23 on Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:57 am

Aeroron, this is such nostalgia for me. Years ago, when NG house was a branch of the National Bank and I worked there, I used to drink at the Hotel Terminus! It's retained its name despite the fact that the station it is opposite - South Brisbane - is no longer a terminus, many years ago they extended the railway line across the river to link up with Roma Street.

btw the next station heading southwards, until a few years ago, bore the wonderful name of "Vulture Street"!!! A few years ago they changed it to the much nicer "South Bank" but for this RP, this would not have happened - so it's a great symbolic name for things to happen.

Seems all the characters are in South Brisbane, or heading there, which is handy...

Alan23
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby danm36 on Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:27 pm

It's as if their lives were planned by a team of story writers. :P

danm36
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aeroron on Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:50 pm

Ah, I'm glad this roleplay is bringing back nice memories, Alan! I hope those little details will be enjoyable to remember!
I'll definitely work in "vulture street" into the roleplay, if the characters decide to go in that direction. It sounds like a very foreboding place, and would really tie in the setting with the mood.

I've got my next post typed up, but I decided I'll wait for Dan to post before I take my turn. Even though keeping a turn list isn't really necessary, I just want to let everyone have a chance to post without being left behind.

And here's some additional background information in the meantime; this time, it covers the topic of new language and taboos in post-apocalyptic Australia. Alan has gone ahead and gotten creative with some new words, so I'll include those in the official list, as well. Feel free to create your own phrases, cults, or forbidden topics as you see fit.
Language
The sizzle- the apocalypse, and presumably extending some time after it
The shippies- From what I gather, they're like hippies, but believe in salvation from a silver spaceship
The Ignition- the series of events leading to the apocalypse
Smelting- a pun on the word "smiting", it refers to the heaven's wrath of heat
Lighthouse- a harem, denoted by candles in the windows
nippy (v./a.)- jokingly describing any temperature below 85
Raw- slang for a sunburn; i.e. "you look positively raw!"
By Roma's Truth- a phrase similar to "when pigs fly"

Forbidden words
Sunday- Nobody wants to pay any reverence to the sun; now it's simply called "s'day" as slang, "rest day" by the religious, or simply "day 7"
Beam- as in a smile, nobody uses this word to describe a warm smile
Cancer- a great many people have been diagnosed with this condition, and it remains a touchy subject
"Fairy lights"- a slang term for hallucinations

Taboos
Referencing the day of Sunday is offensive, and many people choose to rename the day altogether. Eccentric cults worship the sun, especially on Sunday, which is also offensive to some people.
Mentioning someone's suntan or sunburn- It's polite to ignore the tan or burn of others, though providing ice or vinegar to help is acceptable
Eating food when others have to go without; all food is usually split among groups
Asking about someone's personal experience about the apocalypse
Sunbathing- a practice by eccentric cults, members will go streaking until they get a distinctive sunburn

Aeroron
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby danm36 on Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:36 am

New post. Too much talking I think, but it helped me get Khan out quick. There will be more description from me later on.

danm36
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alan23 on Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:40 am

Just two things Aeroron - you mentioned the slang term "Raw", yet you also state that it's offensive to refer to someone's suntan. Does this mean "raw" is only used in an insulting sense?

And by "harem" do you mean a brothel?

This thinking up of inventive slang is fun, and I'll try to come up with some more. We might have to have a glossary in a separate OOC, though most uses are obvious by context I think.

Alan23
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby danm36 on Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:38 am

I have been unknowingly and unwittingly been leading Khan to the Terminus Hotel. I only searched for where it was after this latest post :D

danm36
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alan23 on Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:04 pm

Now this weekend when I watch the Broncos at Lang Park, and the Lions at the Gabba, I will think of Khan!

Alan23
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby danm36 on Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:15 pm

Alan23 wrote:Now this weekend when I watch the Broncos at Lang Park, and the Lions at the Gabba, I will think of Khan!

More unintentional coincidences!

danm36
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aeroron on Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:35 pm

Oh, you want to know of even more unintentional coincidences? I found out that there's a Roma Street in Brisbane! I didn't plan for this to happen at all! I worked through the plot backwards, and randomly happened to pick Brisbane as the starting location. It seems like Brisbane has a lot of clues about the plot pre-made!

I'll have a new post up shortly. It's about time for Nighty to post again as well. I'll ignore the posting order for now, though, so I can move this plot along more quickly.

Also, just as a reminder, All Roads is still open to new players. If you know of someone who might be interested, suggest that they submit a character. The more characters, the more exciting the journey.

Aeroron
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alan23 on Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:56 am

Ack! I honestly thought you'd made "Roma" the name of the mystic land because of Roma St Station, the transit center and main bus/rail arrival point in Brisbane! There's also a town called Roma in Western Queensland, which Ari may confuse with the more significant place of the same name when it gets mentioned for the first time! Spooky, much!

Alan23
Member for 13 years

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!