Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

All Roads: The Journey

All Roads: The Journey

a part of “All Roads: The Journey”, a fictional universe by Aeroron.

Earth's magnetosphere has collapsed, and civilization has been driven underground. Rumors of the fabled Roma, a city of refugees, drives a group to solve puzzles, overcome difficulties, and make life or death decisions to discover the truth.

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “All Roads: The Journey”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Re: [OOC] All Roads: The Journey

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby danm36 on Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:52 am

From my understanding, myth encompasses a small event or beings like 'The Loch Ness Monster' or that 'You can blow up a car with an aerosol can and a pistol' (The second kind being covered by the Mythbusters' while a Mythos is full stories of beings and the like, usually followed with the mutual understanding that said story or being is true. You can consider the Bible, the Torah and Cthulu as Mythos, as they all have had a long existence with apparently truthful contents. As you may have noticed, I listed two religions there, Christianity and Judaism, and to people outside the faith, their religion can be considered a Mythos.

That's my understanding anyway.

On a more ontopic note, The Wiki is up, but still under construction. As a result, I would advise you to steer clear for now, maybe add a character or location page if you wish. I will be bringing out templates to aid writing.

And Aeroron, maybe you should have an actual member of the team as one of your characters to help guide us?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

danm36
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alan23 on Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:08 am

I agree I would like Aeroron to play a character in the RP - if you;ve read my postings you might be able to work out why :)

danm36, I got impatient and tried the wiki - it didn't work :( - still, it's a great idea and I can't wait till it's up.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Alan23
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby danm36 on Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:18 am

I just updated it about 10 minutes ago which broke it :/ Fixed it now, but I wont be able to work on it for a while. :(

danm36
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fortune Walking on Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:29 pm

Sorry for the wait everyone. I'll have my first post up in a few days once I get a little more clarification on some points. Also, I will flesh out my character sheet in just a few days, once I post some.
"Mortal,

It was you yourself who cast your lot not with Security but with Fortune. Never Rejoice overmuch when she leads you to great victories, never Repine when she leads you into great adversity. Remember, Mortal, should Fortune ever stand still, she is no longer Fortune."

-Boethius, 524 a.d.

Fortune Walking
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby danm36 on Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:49 am

Two things:

Also, Fortune, what clarification do you need?

Minor edit:

The wiki now has a purpose built character page. Each box will take you to a more in depth character page that would prove useful if filled in/copied from here. Also feel free to adjust the content of the boxes. Also. Aeroron, are Gus and Adelaide Main Characters or Important NPCs?

danm36
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aeroron on Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:29 pm

It looks great, Dan. Excellent work. The wiki will definitely be a good resource for the roleplay and a catalog of our ideas.

As for Gus and Adelaide, I originally intended them to be important NPCs. However, since Ari has developed quite a thing for Adelaide, I might change her to be a main character and have her go along for the journey. So for the Wiki, we'll consider Gus an NPC and Adelaide a main character.
Looking for an immersive roleplay experience? I suggest All Roads: The Journey.

Aeroron
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby danm36 on Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:37 pm

Alright, stuck Gus in the NPC section helping to bulk out the site more. I also couldn't help noticing that Ronald Fresco is Italian. This could prove very interesting is Ronald is still alive.

danm36
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alan23 on Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:39 am

Thanks, GM - Having Adelaide as a main character will make the playing of my character much easier. Fact is, Ali is a skeptic about Roma, and would normally not leave the safety of his colony for what he regards as a misguided dream. He needs a reason - and the thing he's developing for Adelaide will be that reason, which is why I had his respond to her in this way. If she did not exist, I'd have to either try to handwave the inconsistency, by having him go for some spurious reason, or invent a new compelling reason to prise him away from Brisbane, which would be something of a challenge if I'm to maintain the integrity of the character.

(just added) Danm36, I just had a look at the Wiki - what a brilliant piece of work! I commend you on your selfless efforts to add even more to this fantastic game... we all owe you a vote of thanks.

I guess someone (me if I can somehow find the time) should make a dictionary of Street slang, or a few notes about the mythology of the post-ignition world...

Alan23
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby danm36 on Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:20 pm

I've still got a bit more to sort out with the wiki (Mainly by setting up the slang dictionary page), but feel free to add you character profiles. Also, thanks for all the positive support :D

I've added another post which should guide Adelaide onto Roma. I'm liking this story, though I feel sorry for Moonie.

danm36
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alan23 on Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:05 am

Never feel sorry for an NPC - they count themselves lucky if they don't get wiped out on the same post they first appear!

Anika might be useful to join the quest though, if the other players agree. Since a number of the original players appear to have dropped out, we might need a few more numbers. Khan, Adelaide, Moonie, Anika and Ari might be a good team (I am happy to hand one or both of them over to other players if anyone is interested). However, I won't push this if the GM does not approve.

Alan23
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aeroron on Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:11 pm

I just wanted to let everyone know that I am not dead and/or disappeared off the face of the earth. I'll have my new post up tomorrow. Until then, I read this interesting article which has a little bit to do with the roleplay. For those who would like a little reading, here's the link: http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... nge-divide

Aeroron
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby danm36 on Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:29 am

Just a lil' bump reminding others that this RP is still here. That reminds me, can you subscribe to the actual activity section of the RP, or just OOC?

danm36
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alan23 on Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:11 am

danm36, the IC for this RP will be listed in the Roleplay/My roleplays tab at the top of the page, so no need to subscribe. It's a pity we can't put a link to the wiki there too, but I don't this site lets you add links to your account page.

Alan23
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aeroron on Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:54 pm

Dan, you can bookmark this link to subscribe to the actual roleplay posts: http://www.roleplaygateway.com/roleplay/all-roads-the-journey/#activity
Also, Fortune, feel free to jump right in at any point you'd like.

And now, how about some additional group discussion? Alan touches upon a very important concept in his posts, mainly that of "clans". Refugees would probably be more likely to band together in small groups for survival than just striking out on their own. On the other hand, Dan plays Khan, a loner. So, players, this next discussion will detail the hardships, benefits, and culture of both clans and loners.

History: The development of clans and gangs
Band Society is an archaic concept, and humans have been implementing it since the beginning of time. Usually bands and gangs consist of anywhere from 5-50 people. A year or so after the Ignition, when resources were hit the hardest, people began to come together to protect their own well-being. Being part of a small group of people meant having a few extra resources, protection, and others to socialize with. Later on, when resources were all but impossible to obtain, groups would engage in a kind of warfare over territory with more resources. Malls, warehouses, and caves were all fought over. Finally, at this point [12 years into the Apocalypse] groups have developed their own customs, religions, traditions, and dialects.

Clan life: Equals or Hierarchy?
In groups, there are two main organization systems. Either all the people in the group are equals, and work towards the group's best interest, or they form a hierarchy, in which they each have specialized positions.

The Hardships of Clan life
Some hardships of clan life include rapid spread of disease, inability to travel quickly and efficiently, scarce resources from over-harvesting, higher rates of birth and death, and warfare with other tribes.

The Hardships of being a Loner
Some hardships include being unable to communicate to tribes who have adopted new languages, the inability to protect oneself from thieves and attackers, the relative difficulty to hunt and gather while traveling, being more susceptible to disease while traveling, the difficulty to trade while traveling, and the absence of comradeship.

The Benefits of being a Loner
Some benefits of being a loner include increased mobility [the ability to cover 20 miles/day], not being affiliated with a specific group of people, increased world knowledge, and meeting many people who may be beneficial in the future.

Aeroron
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alan23 on Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:33 am

Aeroron, your summary dealt only with the economic aspects of gang life vs loners. There's another interesting psychological point as well, I feel.

As you say, band society is an archaic concept, and my guess is that while it began as a system for purely economic gain (hunting and gathering is more efficient in a clan), certain psychological necessities have also since evolved. Being part of a tribe has huge psychological advantages, which is why nearly everyone wants to become one. Look at the way governments trade on the concept of "patriotism", and "the flag" - or the way youths adopt uniform manners of dress, speech and culture (Ferals, Goths, Metalheads, etc), or the way jargon or in-jokes grow up among every working populace. Being part of a tribe gives the member a sense of place and security, knowing the references, jokes or language of others of your tribe gives one the secure feeling of belonging. However, it comes at a price... in return, you have to confirm to the laws, hierarchy (every tribe has a hierarchy, especially those that claim they don't - is everyone really equal in democracies like the United States? Was Soviet Russia really a society of equals?), taboos and etiquette of that tribe.

Being unattached to any tribe has the advantage of freeing you from all that - you don't have to worry what anyone thinks of your attitudes. You have total freedom. However, this comes at the price of total loneliness. My guess is that only very special types of people - like Khan - can really survive such an existence, psychologically,

Alan23
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alan23 on Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:26 am

Following a recent PM discussion with the GM, she has agreed that we are a bit light on personnel, and that my current NPCs, Moonie and Annika, should join the band when they set off on their quest for Roma. However, I really don't feel up to playing three characters. Does anyone want to pick up either character? If you do, feel free to take the charrie off on whatever developmental direction you choose.

Alan23
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aeroron on Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:02 pm

Well, I have two characters myself, though Gus will probably just be a temporary NPC. If no one else steps up to play the characters, I might take one, since we really don't have the ideal number of players yet.

Additionally, you bring up a good point about clans, Alan. Psychologically, people do function better in groups; it's just the way our brains were wired to work. It's called the Illusion of Asymmetric Insight, and also explains gang rivalries, social norms, and other mob-psychologies. There is an interesting article on this topic, which if anyone is interested in reading, can be found here.
Here are some excerpts of the article which pertain to the roleplay:
"Every human gathering and institution [...] works to remain connected by developing a set a norms and values which signals to members when they are dealing with members of the in-group and help identify others as part of the out-group. The peculiar thing though is that once you feel this, once you feel included in a human institution or ideology, you can’t help but see outsiders through a warped lens called the illusion of asymmetric insight."

"All primates depend on groups to survive and thrive, and human groups thrive most of all."

"Sherif’s experiment [...] showed how quickly and easily you [form groups], how your innate drive to develop and observe norms and rituals will express itself even in a cultural vacuum, but there is a dark side to this behavior. As psychologist Jonathan Haidt says, our minds “unite us into teams, divide us against other teams, and blind us to the truth.""

Aeroron
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alan23 on Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:33 am

Since we've heard nothing from Khan it was a bit hard to post anything about his conversation with Annika, so I had to concentrate on the Adelaide / Ari situation.

Alan23
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby danm36 on Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:46 am

Real life snuck up on me, I'm afraid. The way I'm seeing the plot going, is that Adelaide will finally have to visit Gus, Ari will go with her as a result of his feelings and Khan will join them purely as result of interest. Moonie and Annika would then probably follow each in their different ways, trying to be conspicuous or whatnot. One thing that's popping up is that the medic hasn't made a post in a while, and we'll need to find on soon. A hire-able mercenary medic?

I would happily double up as a secondary character, though my ability at speaking with a dialect is somewhat limited to Scottish, London English, Irish(?), German and Russian. Australian, annoyingly, is the one I can't pull off. As a result, I could temporarily play as the medic if the time calls for it. A Scottish medic? Interesting.

danm36
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alan23 on Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:13 am

danm36, don't feel bad about not posting - RL happens to us all. In fact I'll be away until the middle of next week.

I agree that Adelaide will do exactly as you surmise, and that Ari will follow along with her out of infatuation (though he won't admit it!) - Moonie (if I'm playing her) will, in turn, follow along to safeguard what she sees as her interest in Ari. Annika may well genuinely believe in Roma when she hears about it. It depends who ends up playing her. Do you prefer playing Moonie or Annika?

Don't feel you have to know Aussie slang to play a character from Brisbane - the "street" dialect spoken by Ari, Annika and the rest is entirely made up from scratch by me, and owes as much to cockney rhyming slang, David Feintuch's "trannie" dialect, French, Russian (via "A Clockwork Orange") and other varied sources as to traditional "strine". Just make it up as you go along, that's what I do. Just remember that no-one ever has anything nice to say about the sun, and you should be fine! You'll note that Adelaide's dialect (as invented by Aeroron) has many differences to the native tongue. If you play a Scottish medic, it could be quite fascinating.

Alan23
Member for 13 years

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!