Announcements: Initiative: Promoting Forum Roleplay » Universe of the Month! » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » USERNAME CHANGES » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas » Empty Skies » Does Mind Affect the World? » I have an announcement. » Iskjerne Ballad by dealing_with_it » Viking Music / Norse Songs - Germanic Paganism » Capitalism » Panspermia: a Case for Cordyceps » The Ethics on owning a Housepet » I just really had to share this plot idea. » Materialism » Satire & Comedy » Platonic numbers » No complaints (a little bit of rappin) » Any multi-player roleplay videogamers here? »

Players Wanted: OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted » DEAD! » Looking for new RP Buddy(s)! » Sands of Oblivion » Looking for Role Players to join an active universe » Looking for Empire of Cendalia Players » Seeking Roleplayers for The Isekai Wonderland Project » Hadean The Brave - Fresh Blood » Just a trophy of status - long term, story focus! » Kingdom come looking for roleplayers » The Last Dragon! » Roleplay Return for 1 x 1 » Players wanted for a science fiction adventure. » Players needed for Fantasy Romance reboot » One(1) male & Two(2) Female Roles OPEN <3 » Talmora: Kingdom of magic » Looking For A New Partner »

All Roads: The Journey

All Roads: The Journey

a part of “All Roads: The Journey”, a fictional universe by Aeroron.

Earth's magnetosphere has collapsed, and civilization has been driven underground. Rumors of the fabled Roma, a city of refugees, drives a group to solve puzzles, overcome difficulties, and make life or death decisions to discover the truth.

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “All Roads: The Journey”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

[OOC] All Roads: The Journey

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aeroron on Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:30 pm

This is the OOC topic for the roleplay "All Roads: The Journey"

Greetings, roleplayer! This OOC thread will contain important information relevant to the background and setting of All Roads: The Journey. It will also be used for answering questions, making announcements, and general tomfoolery that doesn't belong in the IC posts.

If you fit in to any of the categories below, please read further:
I am a new member who is interested in joining this roleplay!
Well, that's excellent. Please leave a general statement below to alert me to your interest, and we'll get you set up right away. New members shall be made exceedingly welcome and given hypothetical cookies. Any further questions can be directed at me through PM.

I am a new member who might be interested, but I want to learn more.
Great, I'm glad you're interested. Send me a PM with any questions you have, or to request additional information; I'll do my best to answer in a timely manner. Additionally, you can read through some of the NPC's characters sheets and the location descriptions to get a better feel for the setting used in this roleplay.

I'm already a member of this Roleplay!
That's terrific! In that case, this OOC thread will be of just as much importance as the IC posts, so be sure to check back often. Important metagame information will be provided here, so as not to clutter up the IC posts with background information.
Looking for an immersive roleplay experience? I suggest All Roads: The Journey.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Aeroron
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: [OOC] All Roads: The Journey

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kerosine on Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:54 pm

This sounds like such an interesting and plot-twisting roleplay. I'd love to submit a character sheet for it. I don't believe that I am advanced enough to play a medic. What other types of "positions" would you recommend? I was thinking of some sort of mechanic/engineer - but I'm not quite sure what the mode of transportation would be now that the Earth's atmosphere is so skewed. It sounds as if survivors aren't able to travel much at all due to the gamma rays.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Kerosine
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Eva on Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:39 pm

Kerosine wrote:This sounds like such an interesting and plot-twisting roleplay. I'd love to submit a character sheet for it. I don't believe that I am advanced enough to play a medic. What other types of "positions" would you recommend? I was thinking of some sort of mechanic/engineer - but I'm not quite sure what the mode of transportation would be now that the Earth's atmosphere is so skewed. It sounds as if survivors aren't able to travel much at all due to the gamma rays.

I was wondering pretty much the same thing. (And I wanted to add this to my post history so I could find it again easily.)

Eva
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aeroron on Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:11 pm

Thank you so much for your interest! Have some hypothetical cookies!
Ah, yes, transportation. I wrote down some basic notes concerning such things on the Places descriptions; you may find it helpful to look over the brief descriptions of Post-Apocalyptic Earth, Australia, and Brisbane- each have increasingly detailed information on what the earth is now like. Clicking on the "places" tab, then on each of the hyperlinks should get you where you need to go.
Transportation is very unreliable in this particular setting, and traveling long-distances will be up to the ingenuity of the players. Cars, for example, are not used in post-apocalyptic Earth, since acquiring gasoline is challenging. The electricity grid has been shut down similarly, however the Queensland Railway will run occasionally in exchange for useful commodities. Any traveling is usually done at night, as well, to keep radiation exposure to a minimum.

There are many different positions in this roleplay; I encourage you to pick one that would be most comfortable. The medic will be challenged with ethical and moral decisions, and the position would take research for realistic treatment with the supplies available. Here are some other possible positions, along with some of the things that you could expect to be involved in:

The Mechanic: this character would be best for a creative and spontaneous player who wants to do a little research on the side. They would likely need to do repair jobs without the correct tools, solve analytical problems, and find inventive ways to work around the radiation problem.

The Historian: this character would be best played by an avid reader. They could easily spot literary clues, and piece together a bigger picture based on the limited information on Roma.

The Social Butterfly: this character would be best played by someone who loves the detail of worldbuilding. This character would be highly interactive with NPCs, and even create a few of their own. Since this character knows so many people and has "friends in high places", they easily have connections to needed resources.

The Average Citizen: this character would be best played by someone who is perhaps a little unsure of how much they want to be involved in research or decision making. This character would be whatever you make them to be; perhaps a muscular person, perhaps a natural born leader, perhaps a lover of techno music. This character would bring insight and perspective to the group.

Thank you again for your interest; I hope I was able to answer your questions!

Aeroron
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Eva on Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:49 pm

As interested as I am, I don't think I'm an advanced (or not advanced enough) player. But I will be reading along.

Eva
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kerosine on Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:02 am

Thank you for the detailed reply! I've found the hyperlinks quite helpful. I'll work on a character sheet tonight!

Kerosine
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aeroron on Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:59 pm

Eva, the last thing I want to do is discourage people who have an interest in this roleplay from joining. My apologies if you got the impression that this roleplay was reserved for only super-dedicated novelists. This is my first time working on a roleplay on Gateway, but I'm going to do everything I can so that roleplayers of all experience levels will enjoy this game.
I suppose I should take this time to explain exactly what I meant by categorizing this as "advanced"; I'm simply looking for people who will take the process of roleplaying seriously, will put out more than one-liners, and are willing to contribute to the the overall creative process of making fiction believable. I don't think any of these things would hold back a person of any experience level, as long as they were willing to put forth a little effort.
I appreciate your continued interest in my story! You're welcome to submit a character in beginning or even mid-game, or you could simply follow along to see how it all plays out.

As for Karosine, I look forward to seeing your character submission and being your GM.

Aeroron
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Eva on Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:31 pm

Aeroron wrote:Eva, the last thing I want to do is discourage people who have an interest in this roleplay from joining. My apologies if you got the impression that this roleplay was reserved for only super-dedicated novelists. This is my first time working on a roleplay on Gateway, but I'm going to do everything I can so that roleplayers of all experience levels will enjoy this game.
I suppose I should take this time to explain exactly what I meant by categorizing this as "advanced"; I'm simply looking for people who will take the process of roleplaying seriously, will put out more than one-liners, and are willing to contribute to the the overall creative process of making fiction believable. I don't think any of these things would hold back a person of any experience level, as long as they were willing to put forth a little effort.
I appreciate your continued interest in my story! You're welcome to submit a character in beginning or even mid-game, or you could simply follow along to see how it all plays out.

As for Karosine, I look forward to seeing your character submission and being your GM.

So you're looking for good players. ;)

Really, the only thing that deterred me was the minimum post limit. Most days I can type at least a paragraph or two. On really good days I can churn out novellas. But some days my brain is just dead (I blame it on that thing they call real life) and I'm lucky if I can come up with just one decent sized paragraph.

Eva
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby danm36 on Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:55 pm

A couple of questions:

1.) Is it an issue if I personally have never been to Oceania, let alone Brisbane. I live in England, but I can certainly read up on Brisbane.

2.) I'm very interested in this RP, and, as a result of the above question, would like to set my character as a supposedly rare 'Traveler', a person who forgoes the dangers of nature and, as the name implies, travels around the world. I am also hoping that my character could be a sort of guide to the unknown, experiencing a lot of it for himself, and would self invite himself too the group for belief reasons. Despite his odd beliefs, though, he is quite intelligent and somewhat mind opening with his ideas of the 'New World'. Otherwise he would be a social outcast. I will expand in the CS

3.) Would this RP feature oddities to the reality of the world (Odd mutated creatures, new entities like balls of floating electricity and small patches of the world where the laws of physics do not apply etc). This would greatly aid in my characters use as a guide and give more dangers for the medic to be concerned about.

Sorry if the last two questions seemed a bit imposing on your idea of the RP. I can't wait to join either way!

Edit

Ah. Just noticed the post times, and me being in the UK may be a problem :/

danm36
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aeroron on Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:23 pm

Hello, and thank you for your interest! Have some hypothetical cookies!

1.) It is absolutely not an issue at all that you've never been to Brisbane. I imagine not many people on these forums have, so that shouldn't be something to worry about. I visited there briefly, but I don't claim to even have any in-depth knowledge about the place myself. To assist the players in this roleplay, I will be posting common words/sayings, practices, locations, and all sorts of information about the places the characters travel to. So to answer your question, it's not an issue, and I'll definitely provide plenty of information on both the post-apocalyptic world and the different places explored in the roleplay.
2.) I quite like your idea for a traveler, actually, and I think it would add a lot to the roleplay. I imagine that you'd want to start off in a different location from the rest of the group, in that case, then join up with them along your travels? That can be arranged, just let me know in advance if that's what you want to do, so I'll have enough time to make additional NPCs and do some geographic research. I look forward to reading your character sheet!
Here are some additional things you might want to consider if your character is going to be a traveler: what do they use as protection from radiation, how do they sustain themself on long journeys, how do they protect themself against thieves, and what prompted them to start traveling in the first place?
3.) This roleplay is going to be portrayed in a realistic setting, so things like super-powers and mutants won't be found here. However, the collapse of Earth's magnetosphere will be causing many global catastrophes. Diseases will be rampant due to impure water sources, and terrain will be slightly altered from skyrocketing temperatures, so being a traveler would mean that not only would they have to be self-sufficient but also knowledgeable about what's happening around them. There will be plenty of things to worry about without having to alter the laws of physics.

Also, I don't think it will be problematic at all that you're in the UK. I look forward to being your GM. ^^

Aeroron
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby NightyKnight on Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:50 pm

Character submitted, sorry I didn't sort of "check in" here in the OOC beforehand, but here's that post now ;).

If there is any issues with it, just let me know and I'll be more than happy to edit the sheet.
'When you're finally in my arms, look up and see..
Love Has A Face'

NightyKnight
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aeroron on Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:00 pm

Not a problem at all, Nighty. Your character sheet was clearly well thought out, and I see nothing that needs to be fixed. Ali has been approved, and I'm looking forward to seeing him in action. :)

And for everyone involved in this roleplay, here's a synopsis of what's coming up:
1. Recruitment of 2-3 more players, ideally
2. OOC posts detailing some background information, equipment, and generally getting everyone on the same page
3. Starting this roleplay up within this next week

Aeroron
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alan23 on Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:18 am

Aeroron, my character sheet is up - let me know if not suitable. Other players - I live in Brisbane, and will be happy to help out with local color and any info that may be needed. Ask me in pm or in the OOC section and I'll gladly oblige. So flattering that you want to make my home city the starting point of a post-apocolyptic quest, I'm quite overcome!

Alan23
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby danm36 on Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:29 pm

We have three characters whose names all begin with 'A'. I'm beginning to reconsider having Khan's true name as Adam...

danm36
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alan23 on Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:09 pm

I think the name "Adam" has excellent symbolic value for a story about earth starting over after a post apocalyptic catastrophe!

Alan23
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Eva on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:25 pm

I should know by middle of next week if I'll have the time to devote to something like this. I'm really hoping I do. If I can get by with just one post a day I should be good.

Eva
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alan23 on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:50 pm

Eva, please see my posting before about the name "Adam" - this is an interesting synchronicity!

Alan23
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aeroron on Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:50 pm

Hello all! I have a little bit of bad news, but I'm hoping it won't have any serious affect on this roleplay. My laptop, which I use as my primary computer, is experiencing technical issues of the "totally fried graphics processor" nature. At this point, I don't have access to my programs or files, but I'm going to get this fixed as soon as possible. Once that's back up and running, I'll start the first post for the roleplay!

I'm also pretty amused that we all chose character names that began with 'A'. This is a cool coincidence. Maybe I can work that into the plot somehow.

Also, I'm happy to hear that you're still interested in this, Eva! One post a day should definitely be enough; I doubt any more than that would be necessary.

Aeroron
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Eva on Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:46 pm

Y'know, I've always had a fondness for the name Andrea...

Eva
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby danm36 on Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:42 am

We are the 'A' team.

danm36
Member for 12 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!