Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Annoying Problems (Rant)

a topic in Main Lobby, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Ambassadors

The general community forum — the Main Lobby is where announcements can be made, games can be played, and stories you can trade!

Annoying Problems (Rant)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Klein on Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:48 pm

I know I'll probably get bitched|yelled at but this is purely my OPINION on an issue that has been going on for quite some time or one I seem to be dealing with. As of recent I'm sure you are all aware that I took my leave of RPG mostly for the reasons stated in the 'I'm leaving thread' and I intend on sticking by them, of course one day I intend on returning once I see enough change on RPG or after an extended period.. anyhow.

The issues go like this. Over Powered Characters and those looking for a kill, it seems as I scavenged the Internet for new but temporary places to Roleplay I'm noticing an abundance of both of these, people who make characters who are so over powered that you might as well go into detail of how they are kicking your ass and brutally maiming you. Also I'm noticing how when people SAY they are looking for a fight in the end they are looking for a fucking player kill, how do I know this..? Its because they start bitching|whining|groaning the moment you prove your character can defend themselves and your an ample writer who can fight back with legitimate responses that IS NOT over the top.

I apologize if that seems jumbled I've been studying French and it seems its botching up my sentence structure.. anyhow. These aren't the only issues as there seems to be smut everywhere I happen to turn and things that made me almost throw up.. but these are just someone all of you lovely people here are aware of, I'm more keened on the issues above anyhow as I wanted to return to the 'Fighting' Scene albeit in the form of Brawls where there is a Victor and Loser but both walk off after shaking hands. Another issue when a writer targets your character and they suddenly whisper you going 'Your character is going to die :|' and I'm usually like 'Um..okay then...why are you targeting me if you have no intention of even giving me a fighting chance..?' there is usually never a response back and the initial message isn't as well.. written.

I've also noticed ALLOT of amazing Writers off site seem to exist but they waste their talent on some of the most disturbing shit :L Which is honestly disinheriting.. but it reminds me why I've come to love RPG in the first place, and that's not because of its 'New and Shiny' layout but do to how friendly the community use to be and how strict they where when it came to Rules, you didn't have to worry about deal with such people and could get some incredible RPs going if you asked around.

Anyhow, take my little rant how you must.. I know its a jumbled mess and I don't desire anyone to march in here and start pointing out something I'm aware of, I grow tired of the times I've been treated like I'm retarded because I threw together a rant just to blow off steam- ANYHOW.. take it how you will, I'm sure some can agree with whatever they could pick out of this mess. Its not RPG's fault they seem to be lacking activity its because many writers seem to be only after smut or some rather gross shit, trust me sites which specifically target such seem to have over 500+ people online .__.'

Anyhow. Sorry for wasting your time, heres hope to RPG's future.. I really hope this site picks back up, its been the light at the end of my tunnel for years and it depresses me dearly seeing whats happened.. and please don't try to say 'its still just as active' you aren't fooling anyone, I've noticed its tremendous drop in activity even more so as every week goes by..but I'm sure once the site is improved more, issues are steamed out and more people pick up writing they'll come to this site.

I'm going to around December try to invite some of my RL friends to RPG, and I hope you all could try the same. Also try helping any new members that happen to show up, its very disinhertening when your new and no one tries to help you|albeit ignore you and continue chatting amongst themselves. However I kindly thank those whom have gone out on a limb to help those in need, I know one of them is Vindicated.

Also perhaps someone should make a 'New' Guide' to RPG for when people register or put up a link so people can understand how the site works, its allot more complicated then what it was before.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Klein
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Re: Annoying Problems (Rant)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VindicatedPurpose on Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:30 pm

People have a right to their opinion. And my statement is, there's no sense in getting all riled up over an opinion. Unless you are riled up for the right reasons.

You know I haven't really ventured around to other sites much, because I still like RPG for what it is, what it was, and what it could be.

From what I've seen, you've got a lot of accounts, and words written, which kinda surprised me. But you seem to have done a lot. So I respect your experience and opinion, I've only been on RPG for about two years.

As far as OP characters go, they're gonna happen. And you know it doesn't really matter, sooner or later the writer will meet someone who will tell them "that is way too much," or they'll find out on their own. It's a continual process of learning and development. A lot of GMs out there are doing their best to try and curb them, but their spawn is endless, these little bastards. ;)
You can count on staff members in their RPs to enforce the idea that you don't need an OP character to have a good story, and if they're just in it for a kill, then go to the Battle Arena. Just don't expect an easy victory from the competitors there.

As for RPG, the variety of writers, I think is a good thing. I mean RPG is supposed to be a haven, at least that's my view of it, for roleplayers/writers of all sorts. The place even has an Academy and helpful threads for the aspiring writer/roleplayer. In the end the choice remains with the person, whether they see that there is always room for improvement and that they are willing to better themselves, or they're just comfortable at where they are.

As for activity, I'm not really sure about that. Maybe it's because they took away the bar at the bottom showing "Who's Online," that can throw some of the old people off. Because right now, I don't know if there's even a way to guage the number of active people of RPG anymore.

You know I'm glad you're still around, I see a number of old writers say they're "leaving," but they still lurk and occasionally drop a line or two. I suppose they still think there is hope for RPG, and I know there is.

And thanks for the feedback, Klein, these are the things that we need in order to step back and survey the situation here.
Like a stranger on a grate, or a skylark, or a taper, flying ever upward and knowing of love's satiety. Our dreams beyond the Sun and into the expanse of Night doth sound a quiet hymn.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

VindicatedPurpose
Member for 13 years
Contributor Promethean Author Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Greeter Visual Appeal Lifegiver Tipworthy Concierge

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!