Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Arcanepunk type-ish RP

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

Arcanepunk type-ish RP

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aniihya on Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:13 pm

I was thinking of making a RP that takes place in an arcanepunk world, that means futurism but with magic. In the world due to a past robot or golem rebellion, robots capable of self awareness and AI capable of killing are illegal meaning you got cyborg mages and stuff. Anyone interested?

Havent really though it out much further.
Everybody! Unless you have been in a roleplay with me in the past and were loyal to it, do not PM or text me about joining your RP.

I do NOT do Pokemon, Yugioh, WoW or any such RPs.

Please be aware of this.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Aniihya
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Tipworthy Tipworthy Visual Appeal Person of Interest Lifegiver

Re: Arcanepunk type-ish RP

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MartinVole on Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:30 pm

It sounds weird, which to me, at least, is good. Kind of Final Fantasy-esque, at least kind of like FF6/7. So, how far you plan to take the arcane aspect, considering this is a fantasy world where the supernatural elements of it are more just natural? Machines imbued with what is basically literal life is a pretty neat consequence of this. Are there other side-effects of this, like mutations, monsters, other accidental bestowments of self-awareness?
Honor and arrogance are two sides of the same coin. We don't need standards like "honor," we just need mutual respect, and to do right by ourselves, as well as others.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

MartinVole
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 10 years
Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Streamwatcher Person of Interest Bug Hunter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Lifegiver Greeter Concierge Group Theory Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aniihya on Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:19 pm

Basically due to the ban on self-aware AI, machines that require higher intelligence to operate such as androids have to have a soul. Since in this world the soul is also the source of mana and magic, the operating soul can also use magic in this machine form. The vessel for the soul would probably be a crystal or so. Of course, self aware AI could exist, but as a violation of the worlds rules and would be hunted and either transferred to a medium that is harmless or destroyed since the people of the world fear another AI revolution with the aims of destroying organic species.

Aniihya
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Tipworthy Tipworthy Visual Appeal Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MartinVole on Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:49 pm

Darn it, RPG, told you to inform me of posts on this thread! D=

I see, so magic is literally linked to conscious self-awareness here, then... okay, I get that. Does give some implications on acquiring it to begin with! There are a number of fun ways to twist this, to be sure. Got much in the way of the limits to this then, and those that live within it, regarding the arcane nature of magic? I'm pretty interested, actually, including how this concept can be expanded.

MartinVole
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 10 years
Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Streamwatcher Person of Interest Bug Hunter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Lifegiver Greeter Concierge Group Theory Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aniihya on Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:18 pm

Let's just say that in a mechanical body built for the use of magic such as cyborg mage, it would allow the user to unlock much more power than in human form since a human form can only withstand so much mana before degenerating or burning. There will still be limits. For organic users the amount of power depends on adaptiblilty and experience, whereas the robotic users are mostly limited by they own mana capacity and how much their bodies are designed to withstand. I can also offer than certain "cyborgs" can transform depending on the situation, such as battle.

Generally it is a setting that is futuristic high fantasy. Final Fantasy is usually medieval or modern depending on which game. This kicks it up a notch. Otherwise the rest of the background can be agreed upon whether it is dark and gritty like Ghost in the Shell or more of a light hearted approach with cute slimes and stuff or just in between.

Aniihya
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MartinVole on Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:00 pm

Aniihya wrote:Final Fantasy is usually medieval or modern depending on which game.

This is why I specifically say FF6/7/8, which each are more futuristic with robots and mechs and a combination of science and magic making mutants and whatnot that made the world both weird and fascinating. Much of the wildlife in FF6 were just mutants from the magical fallout. So you just had a weird environment full of magical mutants, cyborgs, etc. FF7 was more magical cyberpunk, and 8 was kinda that too.

Just to clarify where my thoughts are coming from! Not at all saying this is the same thing, just the kind of feel I get when thinking on the setting. Not a bad thing, and again, I have odd tastes in worlds and characters. :P

Though I'm talking your head off, I'm sure. XD As for tone, I can roll with either, as long as the overall plot remains strong. Depending on options, character-wise, will likely determine my choice on the type of character though, and how far I can take something. Again, odd tastes. XD

MartinVole
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aniihya on Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:37 am

The only thing is that I have only played FF1/2/3/4/Tactics/11/13/13-2/14 and 15. And I mostly got the idea because I wanted to try something different as when I usually make a mixed genre it is either steampunk/horror or modern/fantasy. So this time I thought I mix post-cyberpunk with high fantasy. Usually the worlds I think of don't have specific inspirations unless said so though.

Aniihya
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aniihya on Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:18 pm

I will let you know when I have the RP up.

Aniihya
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aniihya on Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:50 pm

I made the RP, but I think I might add more lore and info later roleplay/veins-of-the-end

Aniihya
Member for 15 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!