Announcements: Initiative: Promoting Forum Roleplay » Universe of the Month! » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » USERNAME CHANGES » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: The Ethics on owning a Housepet » I just really had to share this plot idea. » Materialism » Satire & Comedy » Platonic numbers » No complaints (a little bit of rappin) » Any multi-player roleplay videogamers here? » Needing a woman's perspective on a concept » Gluts and Gaps » Universal Basic Income » Impending Pursuit Q&A » Eudaimonia » Loot! » Natural Kinds » I have a funny idea » Life in the 21st century. » Song of the Runes » Plato’s Beard » Clues » Nihilism »

Players Wanted: Looking for Role Players to join an active universe » Looking for Empire of Cendalia Players » Seeking Roleplayers for The Isekai Wonderland Project » Hadean The Brave - Fresh Blood » Just a trophy of status - long term, story focus! » Kingdom come looking for roleplayers » The Last Dragon! » Roleplay Return for 1 x 1 » Players wanted for a science fiction adventure. » Players needed for Fantasy Romance reboot » One(1) male & Two(2) Female Roles OPEN <3 » Talmora: Kingdom of magic » Looking For A New Partner » Hellboy characters » 18+ Writing Partner [Fantasy, Romance, Etc.] » 18+, Multi-Para to Novella Writers please! » Looking for roleplayers » Fun tale full of angels, demons, and humans » Looking for roleplayers » A Fairytale World in Need of Heroes & Villains! »

Ascendancy: A Candle in the Dark

a part of “Ascendancy: A Candle in the Dark”, a fictional universe by Doug.

Times are changing quickly, and the status quo of the past cannot possibly be maintained in the face of a rapidly approaching enemy. Take charge of a nation and guide it to Ascendancy.

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “Ascendancy: A Candle in the Dark”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Doug on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:59 pm

This is the auto-generated OOC topic for the roleplay "Ascendancy: A Candle in the Dark"

You may edit this first post as you see fit.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Doug
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: Ascendancy: A Candle in the Dark

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Eskay on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:19 pm

Fantastically original, along with a healthy set of high standards- I'll DEFINITELY be creating a nation!

Are you doing a reservation-type thing with applications, or are you reviewing them as they come in?

EDIT: It appears that that particular question was already answered- I just failed to see it! My apologies! :p

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Eskay
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Doug on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:29 pm

Please, it is hardly an issue at all. And thank you for your kind words. Hopefully it will be able to live up to my expectations, and yours as well.

Doug
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby R.T.M.X. on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:51 pm

Expect my sheet to come in within this week.

Hope you don't really mind having a "mutated" breed of human travelling through space.
I am not ┙insane.┍
I am just extremely ┙dedicated┍
to the act of losing my ┙mind.┍

R.T.M.X.
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Streamwatcher Beta Tester Lifegiver Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Cypher on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:53 pm

Oh wow. It's been forever since I joined a game like this. Was it three years? Four, maybe? I think it was four.

Buuuuut I digress. You can expect me to have an application within the next few days. I have a few ideas currently settling in my brain and I want to see which one floats up to the top first. And please for the love of god don't let it be the Mandalorian-inspired one. I love that one, but I don't want to tinker with it at this very moment.
From the depths, I return!

Cypher
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby AugustArria on Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:34 pm

I gotta say, you seem to have this pretty well organized and thought-out, and you've got me itching to try it out.

I have a few questions, first. One, how is travel from system to system performed, and how long does it take? Second, would you be opposed to a nation of sorts that was more of a Flotilla, with no real home exactly, but just a bunch of ships that move around together? (And no, I'm not planning on making the Quarians.) And third, how exactly do we describe the weapons and armor of ships? Do we just make stuff up, pretty much, so long as it's reasonable and not overpowered?

And don't mind the avatar. I'll probably change it back tomorrow, I feel like I won't be taken seriously as it is. :)
The Canticle of Fate: Silver Lion Stanza
"Though I am flesh, Your Light is ever present,
And those I have called, they remember,
And they shall endure."

AugustArria
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Cypher on Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:38 pm

AugustArria wrote:And don't mind the avatar. I'll probably change it back tomorrow, I feel like I won't be taken seriously as it is. :)

Sir (ma'am?), two other applicants are using Bill Cosby and a Magikarp as their avatars, and at least one of them displays no intention of changing it (hint: it's me!). If nothing else, you should be judged by the material in your posts and the way you conduct yourself, as opposed to how ridiculous your avatar is.

And it could always be worse. You could have one of those glittery, whiny motto-holding GIFs that the younglings seem so fond of nowadays.

Cypher
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby R.T.M.X. on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:18 am

Cypher wrote:
AugustArria wrote:And don't mind the avatar. I'll probably change it back tomorrow, I feel like I won't be taken seriously as it is. :)

Sir (ma'am?), two other applicants are using Bill Cosby and a Magikarp as their avatars, and at least one of them displays no intention of changing it (hint: it's me!). If nothing else, you should be judged by the material in your posts and the way you conduct yourself, as opposed to how ridiculous your avatar is.

And it could always be worse. You could have one of those glittery, whiny motto-holding GIFs that the younglings seem so fond of nowadays.

Like my avatar! :D

R.T.M.X.
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Streamwatcher Beta Tester Lifegiver Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TheFinalOne on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:48 am

Or mine! Hello, Cypher. Hello, Doug.
ImageRespect ma authoritah!
Are you irritated at coming last in every single thing? Don't worry. For just a cookie, I'll be TheFinalOne.

TheFinalOne
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Brock10 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:18 am

This looks really really cool. I'm gonna run with a CyberPunk styled nation, which bases most of their trade on drugs and spices. Should be interesting, never been in an RP where we control a whole nation!!
"I have a tender spot in my heart for cripples, bastards and broken things"-Tyrion Lannister.

Brock10
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dimon lord on Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:14 am

Yo I am basing mine off something and if the scale is just too large let me know and i will scale it down
ImageImage

FEAR ME LOVE ME FOR I AM YOUR KING

dimon lord
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Talisman on Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:00 am

Well Cyph, I think it's been three years since I've been in a Nation RP- if I even joined it. I remember seeing one and thinking "Nifty" but I don't know if that's as far as I got...

Anyway Doug~ I'm pretty tickled by the idea and you've got an all-star cast here so I might try and cobble something together. I think I'll try a religious based nation. A "Theocratic Democracy" if you will. Oh, and the standing military will be called the "Old Testament". That's a given.
The Canticle of Fate: Silver Lion Stanza
"Though I am flesh, Your Light is ever present,
And those I have called, they remember,
And they shall endure."

Talisman
Member for 13 years
Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Millionaire Completionist Arc Warden Beta Tester Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Doug on Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:08 am

First off, I'd like to thank you all for your interest. This is turning out better than I ever could have imagined. Now to address some specific points:

R.T.M.X. wrote:Expect my sheet to come in within this week.

Hope you don't really mind having a "mutated" breed of human travelling through space.

Not at all, go right ahead and do it. I can't wait to see what you can come up with.

AugustArria wrote:I gotta say, you seem to have this pretty well organized and thought-out, and you've got me itching to try it out.

I have a few questions, first. One, how is travel from system to system performed, and how long does it take? Second, would you be opposed to a nation of sorts that was more of a Flotilla, with no real home exactly, but just a bunch of ships that move around together? (And no, I'm not planning on making the Quarians.) And third, how exactly do we describe the weapons and armor of ships? Do we just make stuff up, pretty much, so long as it's reasonable and not overpowered?

And don't mind the avatar. I'll probably change it back tomorrow, I feel like I won't be taken seriously as it is. :)

These are points that I probably should have addressed in the introduction so thank you for asking. Movement from system to system is done by shipboard FTL systems by a method of your personal preference. It could be a hyperdrive, warp drive, or something completely made up off the top of your head. The speed of these drives can vary depending on personal preference, but I'm going to set a speed limit at a light year each hour, otherwise known as 525,600 times the speed of light if I did my math correctly. Personally I'm going to have my drives operate at 365 times the speed of light, about a light year each day. Solar Systems are typically separated by 3 to 10 light years.

Now, when it comes to Wormholes or anything that allows for instant travel--I'm not going to disallow them, however we'll say they require too much power to be ship based and instead need to be operated from stationary facilities in systems under your control. Of course the exact speed is pretty moot, unless of course you are trying to reinforce your army in battle (in which case even the faster end may be a bit slow), since the travel time is often simply skipped over to keep things moving.

Now, for your second point, I am not at all opposed to a nomadic race. In fact the idea is quite interesting. Just take care not to lose too many ships out there, okay?

And finally, the weapons and armor of ships. Here is an example of what I'm doing for my application (I'll throw engines in too):

Weapons:
5 Positron Beam Weapons (PBW)
10 Proton Beam Emitters (PBE)
10 X-Ray Spectrum Pulse Lasers (xPL)
10 Gamma Spectrum High Intensity Lasers (gHIL)
100 5 Kg Point Defense Railguns (PDR)
20 Missile Tubes

Defenses:
Carbon Nanotube Outer Coating (invisible to visible light, much harder to see in all other spectra, and resistant to heat based weapons)
.5 Meters solid iridium outer armor
5 Meters titanium inner armor
Gel shock absorbers to weaken compression waves

Engines:
The IWCM-5 uses the latest antimatter engine, the Model P, to accelerate to 2 Gs under standard thrust, and up to 8 Gs for short maneuvers. It can rotate 180 degrees in 45 seconds and can accelerate at 2 Gs under full reverse power. Under the full power of its 200 TW Antimatter Generator it can theoretically reach 30gs of acceleration, but in doing so would kill everyone on board.

Basically you can make up whatever names you like for your weapons (and whatever weapons you like, so long as you can describe how they function if asked) and use whatever materials you'd like for armor (as well as energy shields, though I am forgoing them for my ships). However keep in mind with your weapons that explosives will be much weaker in space. The majority of the damage caused by an explosive device comes from the expansion of hot air, and as space has no air in it they will be severely weakened. A nuke will still pour radiation onto the target, but there will be no blast and no EMP either. Other explosives fair equally well, however that doesn't mean you cannot use missiles with other, more creative, warheads should you like, and you can still launch missiles at planets.

Some ideas for weapons would include lasers, particle beams, missiles, ion beams (these can knock out electronics), EMP's (again, take out electronics), Nukes (for the radiation and to hold a planet hostage from orbit), mass drivers (a giant railgun or coil gun), railguns, cannons, antimatter explosives (same deal as nukes, just a lot stronger), or just about anything else you can think of (keep away from psychic weapons please).

For defenses, list any energy shields, and the hull armor composition, plus any outer coatings (in my case carbon nanotubes, one of the more interesting I've seen is a nano-coating of diamond to diffuse laser beams and grant an increased resistance to that type of weapon). When judging an outer hull, I'd look at heat resistance (melting point, conductivity) and also as the hardness and overall weight and strength of the material. Or you could make up your own compound/alloy to use if you'd like.

I hope that answers your questions sufficiently, if not let me know and I'll try again,

dimon lord wrote:Yo I am basing mine off something and if the scale is just too large let me know and i will scale it down

dimon lord, your scale is a bit large--but you have another, more major, issue which I have addressed in my PM regarding your nation.

Doug
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TheFinalOne on Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:24 am

If you guys need any information (like bits and pieces), head over to the interest checks which Doug made for this roleplay.
*aside*Give them the links*/aside*

Also, my sheet will take some time, like four days because I'm going out of town. *aside*Meanwhile, why don't you PM Furry?*/aside*

TheFinalOne
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Doug on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:39 pm

Of course, as TheFinalOne has said there is some information to be had in the very first interest check when we were discussing the design of the roleplay. That can be found here:

http://www.roleplaygateway.com/science-fiction-nation-roleplay-t72425.html

Doug
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ROFLMAO FTW on Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:23 pm

I'm gonna post my nation and just a heads up. Sorry for any bad spelling errors, I'm kind of in a rush to get some where and have no place to save it. So I hope this is good and if you want to wait for me to edit the grammer bfore accepting, just say so.
It is proven that 90% of teens would have a mental breakdown if Miley Cyrus where to stand on the edge of a 6 story building. Post this in your sig if your are the 10% yelling "JUMP B!TCH!!"

ROFLMAO FTW
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Doug on Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:00 pm

I definitely like your approach to space combat, boarding enemy ships and taking them over for your own use. I get the feeling that with a strategy like that, the more you engage in battle the more powerful your fleet will become (once you figure out how to operate the captured ships of course--though that shouldn't be too hard). I would like for you to proofread your application when you have the time however.

Thanks,
Douglas

Doug
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ROFLMAO FTW on Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:56 pm

Yeah, I don't even have to look at it to know I've got tons of typeos and misspellings. But I would like to try and get a good RP post first with little to no spelling errors.

ROFLMAO FTW
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Doug on Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:51 pm

By all means! There is no rush on the proofreading, I plan to be here for some time into the future. I would, however, ask that all roleplay posts be properly proofread prior to submission. I'd like a "clean" look for the roleplay, if you get my meaning.

Doug
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TheFinalOne on Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:41 am

I'll be submitting my character in a few days. Sorry for the delay.

TheFinalOne
Member for 10 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!