Aspiring writer

a topic in Welcome Desk: Introductions & Arrivals, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Ambassadors

First time on RPG? Make sure to introduce yourself here! Tell us what you're into, what you're looking for, and how you found us!

Aspiring writer

Tips: 0.25 INK Postby LukeShepherd on Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:59 pm

I am interested in the link between roleplaying forums and strategy games, for example Medieval-Europe.eu in which the roleplaying forums are associated with in-game events and characters, but not quite like MythicReign.com where the RP forums are unrelated to the strategy part of the game.

I like science fiction as well as medieval fantasy. I am also interested in storylines that feature the interplay between religion, science, reality, belief and alternative political systems. I am an aspiring writer, but never have enough confidence or skill to get my ideas written down in a coherent form. My day job is a software developer and data scientist.

As well as the two games already mentioned, I have also played some non-RP strategy games such as Hyperiums.com, LastKnights.com, Project-Terran.com and HighDescent.com. A long time ago, I used to play tabletop RPGs such as D&D, which in some ways isn't proper roleplaying at all, more like a kind of wargaming.

I am a fan of Dr. Who, Blakes 7, Sapphire & Steel, Star Trek, Star Wars, Andromeda, Outlander, The Man in the High Castle, and similar TV series. I also like medieval novels such as Cadfael.

In terms of personality, I am an introverted, highly sensitive empath, with a hint of autism and low self-esteem.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.25 INK in return for their work.

LukeShepherd
Member for 1 years
Friendly Beginnings Visual Appeal Tipworthy Lifegiver Author Promethean World Builder Arc Warden Storyteller Group Theory Streamwatcher Builder Person of Interest Beta Tester

Re: Aspiring writer

Tips: 0.25 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:43 pm

While I'm certain that some concepts can transfer over, I'm not sure if a link exists as such. But you're right in that D&D grew out of wargaming when a decision was made to pull the focus in on individual characters.

As for storylines that involve the interplay between political systems, The Multiverse has everything you're looking for, as it's pretty much the only place on the site where so-called "nation roleplay" is practiced. Check out the groups page at universes/the-multiverse/groups and find one that looks interesting!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.25 INK in return for their work.

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 12 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.25 INK Postby lostamongtrees on Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:13 pm

Ooo welcome! I too love strategy games, and especially love how In Character activity and organization can lead to larger scale conflicts, events, and overall shenanigans!

Going to go ahead and second a referral to The Multiverse. If you're interested in how small-scale plotlines can especially impact the greater Universe they exist in, character driven story, the potential for epic battle, as well as quests and a myriad of interactions...yep, The Multiverse!

If you need any direction there, feel free to reach out!
Welcome again to RolePlayGateway . I hope you're finding everything alright. Good to have you here!
with love
lost
2 Minutes of Hate
Every other Tuesday

The Hunt
Do you have what it takes?
Weekly Multiverse Event
OPEN BAR
A wine bar who's target demographic is the mysterious and supernatural, specializing in wines, spirits, and bloods.
March 26th, 2020
8 pm EST

Connect on Twitch <3

lostamongtrees
Ambassador
Ambassador
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Arc Warden Party Starter Person of Interest Group Theory Helmsman Builder Streamwatcher Beta Tester Storyteller Maiden Voyager Greeter Concierge Friendly Beginnings Recruiter Tipworthy Cult Leader Hordemaster Historian Lifegiver Visual Appeal Donated! Salesman Property Buyer Contributor

Tips: 0.25 INK Postby Remæus on Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:10 pm

LukeShepherd wrote:I am interested in the link between roleplaying forums and strategy games

First of all, I love this idea! We have a few things in the works that you'll certainly appreciate. Welcome to RPG — do let us know if there's anything you can't figure out on your own!
Alvin Toffler wrote:The illiterates of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.

Take a moment and consider joining my Patreon group, where I share personal development updates and plans for the future...

Remæus
Architect
Member for 15 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge Cult Leader Lifegiver Storyteller

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!