Announcements: Introducing INK, the Writer's Currency » RPG's New Design Team » Now Open: RPG Staff Applications » 10 Years of RPG: Share Your Story » Can't Send PMs? Need Your 10-Forum Posts NOW? » A (Friendly) Reminder to All Romance RPers. » The Newbie's Guide to RolePlayGateway: Read This First! »

Battle and Glory

a topic in Fantasy Roleplay, a part of the RPG forum.

If you would like to make your own roleplay based in a fantasy realm (dragons, elves, magic), use this forum. You will be in charge of all things related to your roleplay, so you're on your own here.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby PunkRockinHobbit on Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:05 pm

Icienne watched Arkhann turn to face her without moving. Her eyes delved into his in precisely the same manner he was scanning her, seeking out flaws, weaknesses, and finding little, if nothing, to go on. A strong warrior... what I need in the completion of my test... It was perhaps then that Arkhann saw past the mirrors her eyes became and caught a good first look inside Icienne, when, just for a fleeting moment, a strong desire to succeed in her task washed through her. Silently cursing herself, yet remaining as icy and calm on the outside as ever, Icienne's eyes became those thoughtless mirrors again, reflecting back Arkhann's gaze as he continued to study her.

She sat carefully, pulling her robes about her a bit. Arkhann's voice met her ears, and she listened to him, nodding gently. But then he came to the question of her intentions, why she was aiding him, and she smirked slightly. Her hands were folded in the sleeves of her robe, and she sat balanced on the stool, aware of Mac bringing the drink over and then slipping away again. He, like most she had come in contact with, distrusted mages of any kind, since so many of them had their own plans and devices, their own needs for power and glory, whether by slaying their way to the top or by amassing riches untold with their powers of dark persuasion. Icienne was no different, in ways. She did have her own devices, her own agenda, but she still served her master, Ichlaz, who was far away in the Tower of Wizardry. And there was one thing, one very important thing he wanted her to do, and she couldn't do it alone.

Before Icienne had a chance to speak, before her lips had parted in response to Arkhann, Selik came over inquiring about the notice. She sat unmoving, all but her eyes, which watched Selik intently. She would leave them to it, for now, saving her explination for a moment when she had Arkhann's full attention, because for her to help him, he was going to have to drink in every word she was going to say.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

PunkRockinHobbit
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Azmodai2 on Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:38 pm

Arkhann turned towards Selik and gave him the same piercing look he had given Icienne. She had responded well, not the least sign of hesitation, only a deep hunger for something he could not yet discern. But she had stared back with the same intensity he had used. Excellent. He looked Selik over. Strong, but he couldn’t judge his combat skill. That would need to change, he smiled and looked over at the bulletin post he had made. But another blade was always good, regardless of the situation and if he offered his and proved to be useful then he certainly had a place in the party.

“I will accept you on my mission if you first tell me what skills you will bring to it.�

He sat forward and took a deep gulp from his dark brown mug of ale. It was good, strong flavored, burned the throat just enough to wake you up. He stared up at Selik in anticipation of an answer. In his peripheral vision he noticed Icienne sit on one of the stools, her small form seemed almost perched like a bird upon it. Always that same expressionless face.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Azmodai2
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby PunkRockinHobbit on Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:20 pm

Icienne studied Selik in much the same manner as Arkhann. She would not be privy to travelling with this band of warriors back to Valmorgen Keep if the Lord Commandant picked just any old drunk with a blade. It seemed, however, that Arkhann was in no way interested in amassing numbers gathered solely by the possession of weapon. It was the skilled use of that weapon he was looking for, and Icienne was glad.

She had no need to watch the performance of the would-be slayer of Orcs in the name of Valmorgen's Military, so Icienne turned her attention instead to much-needed sustinence. She summoned Mac over to her with a simple look, and he edged his way over to her, distrust prominent on his tired face.

"What'll it me, m'lady?" He asked cautiously, already knowing the answer.

"A glass, Mac, is all I require. You should remember that." Icy calm. Deadly calm.

"Miss, I'm afraid that I--"

"Mac." There was an edge of impatience in her voice, and the power placed behind it was strong enough to make every lantern and candle in the tavern flicker momentarily, threatening to extinguish and chase away all light from the place. Then, calm once again. "You know I will reimburse you for any loss of your glassware. Come now, I know what I am doing. A glass, if you please. Filled three quarters with water."

Mac turned and carefully headed to the rows of shining glass mugs that lined the shelves behind the bar. He reached up tentatively, as if he were afraid the very glasses themselves would come to life, grow teeth, and gnaw his arm off. He grasped one slowly and turned again, hesitating a moment before shuffling into the kitchen. A rattle of the pump, the splash of water in the sink, and Mac hurried back to the smooth, polished bar and set the glass before the mage. She nodded and smiled, a gesture that chilled the very marrow in Mac's bones.

"Do what ye must!" he whimpered, and he hurried away to polish glasses in the kitchen, out of range of the penetrating gaze of Ichlaz's apprentice.

Icienne reached inside her robes to one of the hidden inner pockets. She produced something unseen, concealed in her fist. Eyeing her hand intently, speaking no word of command at all, she opened her fist and a ball of green flame spouted to life, hovering in her palm, the same hue as the robes that adorned her frail body. She moved her hand over the rim of the glass, the ball of green flame dipping into the water and hissing violently. A red steam issued forth from the top of the glass, and the contents bubbled dramatically. Reaching into one of the pouches at her waist, Icienne drew forth some herbs and sprinkled them into her concoction. The bubbling ceased immediately, turning the liquid purple. It was the only thing the mage drank, the only thing she took in to sustain her life. It nurtured every part of her that needed it, but it kept her brain sharp more than anything else. That was the main purpose of her brew. For, where there is clarity of mind, there is strength of knowledge, and that is what she thrived on.

Icienne took up the glass and sipped the drink. It had no taste, but it chilled her core, like swallowing chunks of ice whole. She made no face, no shiver shook her frame. She was accustomed to this, for she had been drinking it for eight years.

Satisfied with her work, she turned her attention upon Selik and Arkhann once again, sipping her brew silently as she observed the two of them.

PunkRockinHobbit
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Selik on Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:05 am

he smiled glad that this "arkhan " was keen to find out more .
" well....my good sir . I have served in the legion . I was trained for many years with my blade" he tapped the scabbered lightly and carried on" Also , i cant really boast about this but..i`ve recently started practice with bow just in case . And i come well prepared.."
At this he whirled back his cloak revealing A broadsword , a dagger and an axe all tied to his belt. he then lifted up his greaves to reveal a small knife strapped to his boot . And a quiver and bow slung around his back.
"Better safe than sorry...plus a little variety doesnt harm anyone"
He loved weapons . Anykind , big or small . He love them .
He liked a bit of magic too (healing), but he was no use at it . His opinion was if your going to kill an enemy walk up to it and stab it in the throat .
e then took a long drink of beer and waited for a reply...

Selik
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Azmodai2 on Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:16 pm

Arkhann’s attention snapped to Icienne as he watched her concoct some sort of drink. The greeen flame that had appeared in her palm and then slipped into the drink intrigued him. Then the smoke, very curious. Finally the herbs. The brew was mysterious and he was half-tempted to ask for a sip but decided better of himself. He returned his gaze to Selik and nodded slowly.

“I will accept you on my mission on one condition. In battle you obey my orders, regardless of whether you think what you want to do is better. I’ll always be open for suggestions about combat technique but generally it’s safe to assume I know what I’m doing.

He leaned forward and studied his two new companions briefly.

“If you are ready to travel I would like to leave immediately. Time is of the essence and we must make a short detour on our way back to Valmorgen Keep. From there we head north past the front-line and into Orc held territory. As to our enemy I will warn you once, do not underestimate them and do not think them to be simple animals. Orcs are tenacious combatants and intelligent soldiers.�

He leaned back and ordered another mug from Mac, this time a Bourbon.

Azmodai2
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nightmare on Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:36 am

A day after he set out for Barkwood he arrived to his destination. He entered the tavern on his right and sat down at a table. A person whom was most likely a barkeeper asked him if he wanted anything to drink. He declined the offer and told the person he was here on personal business. Being a smart person the barkeep walked away and went to greet another person who entered the Tavern. An hour later a man climbed on top of some boxes located next to the Tavern’s entrance. He shouted out across the village.

“I, Blake Sceet the Orc Chief Slayer, ask for a challenge on this day!�

Barin sharply turned his head as he looked out the entrance. He stood up and walked out of the Tavern. Once he was about 5 feet away from the entrance he turned to Blake and said with coldness in his voice.

“Hello old friend. Remember me? If not I shall give you a hint: you left me for dead some years ago.�

The man looked down with a smirk and replied.

“Nope, doesn’t ring a bell. Are you some bandit or something?�

A storm started to roll in over the village, fitting the scene that was going on in every way. The night they faced the Orcs it had been storming quite heavily. It also fit Barin’s rage for his friend, a rage that had consumed him for years and left him with an eternal scar on his soul. The final way it was fitting was because of the fight that would be happening soon. Barin’s soul lit with a rage the power of the storm that night, the night he was left for dead by his friend.

“You don’t remember me?� He said as he did his best to hide his rage. “Then allow me to show you who I really am!�

He took back his hood as the rage sparked through his eyes. A lightning bolt jumped across the sky with a loud ruckus. Blake stood there in shock that Barin was alive.

“Buddy… You’re alive? The night we faced that Warchief I though he killed you!� Blake said in shock

“Do not give me any of your false sympathy!!� Barin shouted at Blake with an unimaginable rage. “I clearly recall what you said that night as you fled from that orc and left me for dead!! You said ‘We can’t all win’ as you jumped out of that window to save your own pathetic life! I still have the scar on my back where that Orc slashed me! Another inch and I would have been immobilized!!�

“Th-That’s not true!� His friend said with fear in his voice.

“Oh no, I am very much alive! And all of these years I have been hunting you! Tonight I kill you like you intended for me to die as you escaped your own death!�
“Morinalish Barie/[i]!!
Barin chanted as lightning eminated from his hands. The lightning struck at blake managed to dodge the attack at the last second.

“[i] I can see you run fast! It suits a coward such as you!
�

Blake pulled out a sword from a sheath located on the left of his hip

“I don’t want to kill you!�

He shouted over the noise of the storm. The rain started pouring down.

“Do you remember what the Orc Warchief chanted before you ran off like a coward?! It was ‘Kinjas Frialish Mortiu!!’� Barin shouted among the storm.

Skeletons arose from a nearby graveyard and pursued after Blake.

Blake managed to take 2 of them apart but he was swarmed. Cuts and bruises formed over his body as the skeletons took a hold of him. As Barin approached Blake he smelled a ghastly smell but did not react to it. His voice calmed and so did the storm.

“If I were to kill you I would be no better that you are. I have proven my point and I have proven something to myself. I know not what it is but I do know that I am now more at peace with myself than I ever was after that night. I let you live with this day burnt into your mind.
I hope never to see you again for as long as I live. Or as long as you live. And with that, I take my leave.�

The skeletons fell apart as Barin pulled up his hood and left for his home. Blake had soiled himself and he had to get as far from him as possible. Blake started bawling like the coward he was. And although Barin’s soul was more coarse, he was finally enough at peace to at least trust some people.
Last edited by Nightmare on Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Nightmare
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Selik on Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:32 am

" Can i just say something "captain" . i think we should maybe wait for that other man ." he said smoothly .
" he is a battle mage and from what i heard , he has survived a battle with the great war chief . and he killed the war chief . "
He took another drink of his beer .
" He may have better expierence " he grinned at arkhann and then said
" Oh , and i`ve no problems following orders .....even if they`ll lead to my death..."
He then ifted his hood over his face and whirled his cloak around him . " up to you now . We can wait or leave . i dont really care , i just want to kill some orcs"

Selik
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby PunkRockinHobbit on Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:12 am

Icienne continued to sit perched upon the stool, her eyes travelling to Mac as he reappeared from the kitchen to fetch Arkhann's drink. His gaze swept over her, no doubt checking for broken goods, and when he saw that she was using the same glass he had given her, and there appeared to be nothing wrong with it, he was a good deal less edgy. He brought Arkhann the Bourbon he requested, and, as the business between the three went on, he decided to bring some glasses back out to the bar to polish.

Thunder rumbled far off in the distance. Icienne's eyes returned deftly to Arkhann. "There is a storm in the distance," she murmured low, her eyes catching and holding Arkhann's as she spoke. "Over Barkwood. And unless the wind patterns deceive me, it will be here next. So it seems, Lord Commandant, that we have to weigh the situation."

At this, Icienne stood, finishing the last of her brew. She set the glass back on the bar, but Mac wouldn't go near it at the moment. Icienne turned, striding slowly and gracefully to the window facing east. As she gazed toward the clouds gathering over the horizon, blotting out the moon, Mac took the opportunity to rush over to her glass and, with wrapped cloth in-hand, picked it up and held it before him as if it were contageous. He then hurried it to the sink in the kitchen for a thorough sterilization before putting it back out for use, lest some of that magic is left lingering in the bottom of the cup.

"Now. It seems there are a couple of different factors we must consider before making a decision." Icienne turned as she spoke, her icy eyes piercing Arkhann's from across the room. She spoke matter-of-factly, with that deadly calm, as she leaned back against the windowsill. "Unless you have some more numbers amassed in a neighboring tavern, or already gathered at Valmorgen Keep, we are few, and awaiting the arrival of this fourth party would seem favorable. However, is he on his way now, or has he decided to spend the night in Barkwood, where you sent him?" At this, her eyes darted to Selik. No emotion, none reflected, just chilling calm. "If that is the case," her eyes went back to Arkhann, "and we are to wait for him, we are stuck here until morning. If you decide to leave this fourth party behind and set out tonight, we have the matter of the approaching storm. Are we to press on through the gale, or stay dry and safe here in Mac's fine establishment?" Mac looked up, startled. Icienne paid him no mind. "So, perhaps, Lord Commandant, you should give us an account of the state of the Keep. If we were to wait for this other man, would the Keep be standing by morning?"

PunkRockinHobbit
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Selik on Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:58 pm

"aye" he nodded" shes got a point there" He layed hsi finished beer down and said " That man , he may be there all night for all i know , but hes there on a personal matter"
"But never the less , i`m ready and willing to go if you are" he replied , brushing dust off his armour . he took a quick glance at icienne and felt another chill run down his spine .
he shuddered and thought to himself " this girl , theres something about her , something different ..."

Selik
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby PunkRockinHobbit on Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:31 pm

Thin hands slid back into the sleeves of her robes again, those spindly digits drowning in a sea of velvet. Icienne's eyes travelled from Arkhann to Selik, noting the glance he dared her way. There it was: curiosity, distrust... she got that same look everywhere she went in these parts, so far away from the Wizard's Tower and any tolerence whatsoever of the followers of the arcane. She said nothing, however, her gaze holding Selik for just a moment, before turning her attention back to Arkhann again.

Thunder rumbled more closely to the tavern. The storm would be upon them soon. It seemed to be a fast mover. Perhaps it wouldn't hinder them at all this night. It seemed their business was going to last a little longer, at least. For, there was one more point Icienne wanted to make. A point she needed to make.

"I suppose, though, it does not matter how many skilled warriors you have posted here or there, up your sleeve or at your call, or whether that other man will be returning here, or is left to his own in Barkwood for the night, not to me, not at the moment." No lilt in her voice, no emotion, just calm like the glassy surface of a lake undisturbed. "For, Lord Commandant, I have not agreed to go with you just yet." She paused, delving deeper into Arkhann's eyes, assessing him, searching him. "You asked me a question earlier." She blinked, once, and when she spoke again, her voice was not her own. It was Arkhann's. "Why are you aiding me?" She smirkled lightly before continuing, her voice restored to that icy calm. "It is because I need aid of my own. And if you do not agree to deliver that aid, I will pass the threshold of this tavern, and never will your eyes fall upon me again."

PunkRockinHobbit
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Azmodai2 on Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:25 pm

He mused over the news of the storm. He trusted Icienne insofar as her ability to determine the weather but he wasn’t sure how much more. Staying the night would be the best course of action at the present moment. He needed to visit the garrison here anyway. Perhaps the storm would have passed by morning. He turned to Selik and Icienne.

“We will leave early tomorrow, provision yourselves tonight and be prepared to leave at dawn, fourth companion and storm or not.�

He looked back at Icienne. Her words were ominous and he knew for a fact that she would carry them through. She was a very interesting person indeed. He thought for a moment, tapping his hand on the hilt of his sword. He rubbed his chin lightly then finally turned to her and stood.

“Clearly your motives are ulterior, though for ill or good I know not. What do you equire of me, if you aid me on this quest then I shall use everything in my power to aid you.�

Azmodai2
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby OIL on Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:30 am

The ninja barged through the door and ran up staris silently. After a few seconds there was a loud bang and the ninja was thrown down the stairs and acros the room.
"ow" He groaned. "Always the same i go to do somthing and somthing bad happens" He hiised swinging his tail as he stood up.
He ran bak up the stairs drawing his swords. A few seconds later a farmer was walking along outside and there was a loud crash as the ninja wass thrown from one buoldding to the next.
The people in the room stared at him as he jumped through the hole he made and ran off.
Then the creature bloked him again and threw him as far as he could.
"uhoh"
he flew through the air into a forest and hit a tree with his head and fell to the floor unconcius.

OIL
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby PunkRockinHobbit on Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:50 am

"So, you agree to help me without first knowing what I require? Very well then..." She grinned, a bemused look passing over her face momentarily. "I am to go to the far north, in the lands of ice and snow. There dwells in the north Ka, demon lord and dragon-tamer. He has a stone that is precious to my master, and I am to fetch it. However, due to the nature of this task, I fear my magic and cunning alone will not be enough to get me to the gates of Ka's lair. I will need strength of arms as well, and you, Lord Commandant, would do quite nicely."

Mac shuddered. "I've 'eard tales of ol' Ka..." he murmured, as if talking to himself. "No one ever dares go north past th' Elven forests, for fear o' his hosts. Anyone foolhardy enough t' try it, they never return..." Mac rubbed his arms furiously, as if he were standing in the middle of that snowy land to which Icienne must travel. "No one even bothers namin' them lands! The Nameless Lands, I 'ear 'em called. But I knows they're talkin' about ol' Ka's dwellin'... can see it, by the fear in their eyes..."

Icienne watched Mac, all manner of amusement gone from her face. "It is to The Nameless Lands I must travel. I fear them not. For, if I fail my Test, if I return to my master with no stone, death would seem a much better fate."

Those icy orbs returned to Arkhann. "Very well then, Lord Commandant. You have agreed to aid me in my plight, and so, I shall help you in yours."

PunkRockinHobbit
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Selik on Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:28 am

Selik was listening carefully to their conversation and the thought of more life threatening quests came into mind .
He turned to Icienne and spoke softly
" If you require it or not , I will be willing to travel with you . But first we have to kill these bastard orcs!" he laughed loudly .
"Now i beleive we are staying here for the night , allow me ,as a minor sign of trust . " he walked over to Mac and payed for the threes rooms for the night .
"Oh and mac? Can i have strong mead this time? Cheers" He winked at the barkeep .he retrieved his mead took a sip then looked at the two smiling .
"Im not this nice very often . " he grinned , a smudge of froth from his mead across his lips...

Selik
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby OIL on Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:42 am

His eyes opend slightly and he looked at the sky. "argh my head must of been one fat ass creature to do that". He sat up feeling the cool grass and looked through the darkness of the night. The stars shone down upon the trees lighting up the forset with a strange grey colour.
The ninja got to his feet cheking for broken bones and injuries. He then pulled out a small bottle and drank its contents as it went down his throat it felt like it was burning. Then every thing stoped moving and he felt stronger and started to walk towards some lights.
After a while he came to the lights and jumped into a nearby tree and observed everything it looked like a small tavern. The ninja droped from the tree and walked through the door bringing the wind in with him. He shut it quik and walked to the bar and pulled out a stool and sat on it.

OIL
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nightmare on Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:05 pm

Barin walked in and sat at on of the tables around 1 in the morning. He had gotten a ride with a farmer and slept most of the way to the inn where the farmer dropped him off. His mood was unreadable from such a mixture of emotions not even he comprehend.

"I'll take a mixture of ale and beer. I need something to snap me out of this rut.""
He said as he propped his fett upon the table

Nightmare
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby OIL on Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:39 pm

The ninja turned his head round and looked at the man siting at the table. He stood up and walked towards him and sat facing him acros the table. "so what brings you here" The ninja looked at the stranger carefully watching his movements waiting for a reply.

OIL
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nightmare on Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:01 pm

"The question is what the hell are you doing here? I live in the nearby Barrens"
Barin said as he recieved his concoction.

Nightmare
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby OIL on Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:01 am

"i was here for a job put i dont know were i am so i quit". He looked at the stranger and then got up and went towards the bar again and sat down on a stool. He then pulled out some small ingrediants and started to make some poisons.

OIL
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Selik on Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:28 pm

Selik was awakened by a nightmare . The dream of his dead legion captain . He was asleep in his dream and a storm as raging .
He heard soppy footsteps coming towards him . He opened his eys to slits and saw a crumbling corpse , staggering towards him .
It was half dressed in legion armour . It got close to his face the whispered " I will have revenge traitor ,soon..." the face was so real , so vivid . It was peeling flesh , the sweaty wrinkles and most of all a deep stab wound in his throat whitch was leaking blood .
he got dressed in his armour , gathered his weapons , strapped them to his belt and then slowly trudged downstairs to see the battlemage and a shadowy figure over in the corner . Tje mage seemed un-impressed and looked to throw a punch .
he rushed over to see what was happening and greet the returning battlemage ...
Last edited by Selik on Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Selik
Member for 11 years

PreviousNext

Post a reply

RolePlayGateway is a site built by a couple roleplayers who wanted to give a little something back to the roleplay community. The site has no intention of earning any profit, and is paid for out of their own pockets.

If you appreciate what they do, feel free to donate your spare change to help feed them on the weekends. After selecting the amount you want to donate from the menu, you can continue by clicking on PayPal logo.