Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Battle Poll

a topic in Battle Arena, a part of the RPG forum.

A bloody repository for combat. Get your adrenaline fix here: start a fight, find a sparring partner, train, or just spend your time studying older matches. Don't forget to record the results of your fights in the Hall of Records!

Would you participate in a limited moveset tournament?

Yes, I see potential for interesting dynamics with a limited moveset
56%
No, Limiting my charachter limits my creativity and takes away from the battle
No votes
Meh, I don't really care what the rules are I'd join just to beat people up.
44%

Total votes : 9

Battle Poll

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DarkManticoreX2 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:17 pm

Hello RolePlayGateway battle arena members.

I'd like to collect some data reguarding your views on battling. I have had a few ideas for an uncoming tournament, and would like some input.

Would you be interested in participating in a Tournament that limits the combatants to 7 "special" abilities? These moves can be anything from a generic fireball to a flurry of punches in one turn to whatever you create, but you can only have 7 of them. Profiles would be closed, and sent directly to the tournament host to prevent metagaming against the moves.

Besides the special moves, the characters would still be able to fight normally with equipment brought with them into battle. However equipment beyond generic weapons (your typical sword/knife etc) would count as a special ability, and take away from the number of spells your character can cast.

Would this be an interesting combat style for a tournament? Or do you as the combatant prefer the unlimited approach to fighting where the character is limited only by the creativity of it's master.

I see positives and negatives to both, please let me know what your thoughts are and what you would perfer between the two systems.
Last edited by DarkManticoreX2 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

DarkManticoreX2
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Tipworthy

Re: Battle Poll

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rilla on Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:08 pm

I'm fine with any rule set as long as the tournament interests me, particularly, the players in it.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Rilla
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dyew on Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:25 pm

Yep. Sounds good.

Dyew
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Asperser on Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:33 pm

I'm going to make a broad generalization, but aren't most character profile limited to seven or less special abilities? It doesn't seem like this kind of tournament would be different from any other one.
Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish its source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings.
-Anais Nin

Asperser
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DarkManticoreX2 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:44 pm

It would limit an entrant from going:

I'm a fire elemental, I can do 10 billion things with fire, and I have the perfect response to everything.

DarkManticoreX2
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Patcharoo on Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:16 pm

Dammit.

I should have switched my vote from 1 to 3.
Circ wrote:When I first joined RolePlayGateway, it was a place where positive conflict fostered creativity and friendships were formed rather than cliques. Honesty and transparency were valued, new people were incorporated into the community rather than judged based on what style of writing they preferred, and despite the youthfulness and zeal of the population there prevailed a reasonable degree of common sense.

Patcharoo
Legend
Legend
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Donated! Millionaire Arc Warden Beta Tester Contributor Group Theory Person of Interest Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Asperser on Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:28 pm

DarkManticoreX2 wrote:I'm a fire elemental, I can do 10 billion things with fire, and I have the perfect response to everything.

Yeah, but I mean. In a fight. A fire elementalist for the most part really only does seven or less defined moves. Chucking fireballs, making a sword out of fire, a column or wall of fire for defense etc....Hardly, do you really get someone who does more than seven things in one fight. If we were all limited to one special move I can see some interesting dynamics, you get into the X-men super hero style counters, but anything past one move is more or less a normal tournament. Take Murder Brawl. Most of the people already have seven or less defined moves.

Asperser
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rilla on Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:35 pm

Asperser wrote:
DarkManticoreX2 wrote:I'm a fire elemental, I can do 10 billion things with fire, and I have the perfect response to everything.

Yeah, but I mean. In a fight. A fire elementalist for the most part really only does seven or less defined moves. Chucking fireballs, making a sword out of fire, a column or wall of fire for defense etc....Hardly, do you really get someone who does more than seven things in one fight. If we were all limited to one special move I can see some interesting dynamics, you get into the X-men super hero style counters, but anything past one move is more or less a normal tournament. Take Murder Brawl. Most of the people already have seven or less defined moves.

That's the point. Defined.

Not mentioning what they can do. Look at Adinraen, he has his innate skills(3-4), plus what he has as a nature dominate, which is pretty much a complete nature master.

Manti, is referring to having only seven moves listed and being able to ONLY USE THOSE abilities.

Take the fire elemental.

Under normal circumstances, a fire elemental has a pretty wide range of moves(Ball, sword, wall, whip, spear, wave, tempest, etc., etc., etc.).

Manti wants it to be.

Fire Elemental:

-Insert seven defined moves/weapons, full stop, nothing else- and that's all you can use.

Rilla
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TwilightShade on Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:48 pm

To further clarify, I'll make a dummy profile that adheres to the rule he wants to implement.

Fire Elemental Joe Schmoe

blahblah physical info here btw he's your standard hunk not that that means anything in a fighting roleplay

ABILITIES:

Fireball: Makes a fireball.

Fire Wave: Makes a wave of fire. Can direct its direction.

Fire Whip: Coats Joe's whip in fire.

Fire Sword: Coats Joe's sword in fire.

Fire Mace: Coats Joe's mace in fire.

Heat Up: Heats Joe up really fast.

Tempest: A tornado of fire.

NO MORE ABILITY SLOTS D:

blahblah 20 book history that you won't read here btw he's slain 1000 gods and can drink 10000 beers

TwilightShade
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DarkManticoreX2 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:52 pm

^^ Pretty much exactly that.

DarkManticoreX2
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Grahf on Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:03 pm

Sounds fun. One question however, what power level would it be set at? In most cases a Powered or High-tier player has one main ability, and a set of others to set up the big-gun. Mostly ways to ensure that one big bang hits and ends it.

Grahf
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Party Starter Greeter Concierge Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DarkManticoreX2 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:34 pm

This would most likely be set at the powered level. One tier up from where MB is at right now.

Those 7 moves would be your full move set for the entire tournament. You wouldn't be able to use any other abilities throughout the rounds. Essentially a character would want to reveal as little of his move set as possible each round, so other characters can't observe his full repertoire.

Does 7 slots feel like too many? I'm getting that vibe from a few of you.

DarkManticoreX2
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Grahf on Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:45 am

It is pretty wide open, I would say 3 at max. You are allowing general melee abilities; punch, kick ect. Plus basic weapons...so three powers should be plenty.

Grahf
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Party Starter Greeter Concierge Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Asperser on Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:50 am

I'd agree with the three moves at max and then adding arena items and terrain to well-round the matches. Hiding moves from another player may workout to some extent, but really with all the metagaming everyone tends to do anyway it doesn't pan out in any significant way. Half the matches, I've seen usually goes with one or both parties doing deliberate counters to moves his character should not know anything about rather than roleplaying according to their character's personality. I think the blame is partially on the judges in those types of matches, but it might be more of a community thing in general.

Asperser
Member for 14 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!