Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

Battletech/Only War Game: Want to Fight a Big Robot War?

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

Battletech/Only War Game: Want to Fight a Big Robot War?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby KazMartell on Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:16 am

Hello people of RPG. I've been running a hybrid game of Battletech and Only War with a group of mine for a while, in a custom setting I've got, and I've been having tons of fun with it- but their play time is very limited and I'd love to have another group of people to play with.

So! A little about me first, since I haven't done much around here. I run a variety of tabletop games, D&D, various Warhammer 40k, Battletech roleplaying, and bunches of custom stuff. I've recently got a lot of free time, and roleplaying is a fond habit of mine that I enjoy filling my time with.

As to the concept. The game I have running right now is a custom setting with (in my opinion) a rich and interesting world with plenty of possibilities. The specifics I won't get into just yet, but suffice to say it can be pretty open depending on what people are interested in.

I'm flexible in what kind of game it is- a small unit, or a big regiment, or what have you- but the core of it revolves around a few player characters and the unit they're a part of, versus whatever conflict we decide on. I've got plenty of ideas in that regard and we can hash it out when we get there, but the basic idea is to have the players as either Mech pilots and/or their support teams, engineers, officers, or even other elements of the unit such as infantry or aircraft pilots, etc- point being there are a few characters with important positions, which the players decide on.

Now I'd like to use stats for this, but they're not expressly mandatory. I think it makes things more interesting from a GMing perspective to have some elements of randomization and specific skill levels set, but if the players don't want to use stats we don't have to.

Ideally I'd like 2-4 players for this, not counting myself. If somehow I get more people than that interested I'm willing to run multiple campaigns (most likely set in the same area), but with a game of this scale I've found it's hard to get even a small number of people together and willing regularly. With that said I'd like whoever ends up on board to be available at least once a week, but more often is great for me too.
Edit; I should note that as much as I would like there to be dice mechanics and such, my primary interest here is in story and writing- I would prefer to have players who are interested and able to write well.

So, the setting!

The game I'm running right now is set in a future wherein Humanity exists under a Corporate rule, and said corporations have had a couple of wars back and forth for control of a variety of resources. The Third war has recently sprung up due to a dispute over some manner of FTL technology. The prototype was destroyed, and everyone is gearing up to kick eachother about a bit for the rights to building another one. In the midst of this, the populations under the corporations have been building up their own means to rebel against Corporate rule- and eventually they become such a significant threat to the Corporations that the majority have started teaming up to put down the rebels.

Mercenary companies are all over the place, and it's generally ridden with plenty of opportunity to choose sides. The conflict is entirely Human- at this time no alien species have been discovered or are thought to exist. AI exists, and theoretically players can be a construct of one kind or another, but generally speaking I'd like people to remain human.

The setting does have a past and a future that the game can take place in also- one of the earlier wars, or before the corporate takeover, or after the third war here wherein Alien powers make themselves known to mankind and a variety of things occur. That said, the 3rd Corporate War is the one I have the most fleshed out and the most well balanced gameplay-wise.

Anyways this is just my basic concept to put forward, I can answer any questions folks put forth!
(Sorry if this all seems rather disjointed, it's incredibly late and I'm quite tired.)

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

KazMartell
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Lifegiver

Re: Battletech/Only War Game: Want to Fight a Big Robot War?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nekriist on Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:03 pm

Well, i've never played a pen 'n paper RPG, but I grew up on Mechwarrior/MechCommander/Mech Assault as a kid, and still find myself playing Battletech games. I've been on a bit of a kick with it lately. So, for what it's worth, i'd maybe be interested in this.
The road to civilization is paved with bones, and mortared with blood and ash.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Nekriist
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

I don't know much about Battletech other than giant mechs and awesome, but I'm a huge 40k fan and this sounds pretty awesome.
Image Image

ValaunDae'Voth
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!