Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: With Chat currently offline... An alternative » Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? »

Players Wanted: Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted » DEAD! »

Brief Guide to Commonly Abused Verb Phrases

a topic in The Library, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Scholars

An organized archive of roleplaying guides, including step-by-step, how-to, and general essays on theory.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ylanne on Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:19 pm

Ylanne S.

"If you were to stop abusing me, I would be grateful that I wouldn't have to put up with tolerate this nonsense anymore!"

The Conditional

She would often find herself at the library, and would browse through the fiction section, padding softly along the rug while her finger slid over the spines of dusty books.

Use of the helping verb "would" with another verb forms the conditional tense. The conditional is used to describe habitual or recurring actions, as well as potential actions or the hypothetical. For example, if you ask someone a "What if?" question, the proper answer should be in the conditional -- "If terrorists attacked my school, I would probably experience a panic attack."

When to not use the conditional:
  • Describing what is about to happen. (After she stepped through, he would open the door and would beckon her to step to the security desk.)
  • Describing what did happen, at one specific point in time. (He would lift his weapon and after Jason screamed, he shot him point blank.)
  • Describing what is happening in the immediate present. (She would give him a flirting smile, sitting on the bench beside him. Kara touches her hand on his arm and would lean forward, catching his eye.)

The Subjunctive

If I were to die at the hands of terrorists, and the murderer were apprehended, I do not know how my family would react.

The subjunctive indicates a hypothetical state (like the conditional) but is only used in a dependent clause (or a clause that cannot form a sentence on its own.) According to Wikipedia, it may express "states of irreality such as wish, emotion, possibility, judgment, opinion, necessity, or action that has not yet occurred." It is not commonly used in written or spoken English, but ought to be used in proper written English outside of dialogue. A more complete explanation of the present and past subjunctive moods as opposed to the normal indicative mood, can be found in chart form in the linked reference at the bottom of this page.

Lingering Prepositions
Shoot 'em up dead!

Lingering prepositions occur when a preposition appears at the end of a phrase or clause.

Examples:
When can you drop off the kids at school?
She was the most courageous woman that I knew of.
If they refuse to give up, we'll be forced to go in.
The only direction you can go is up.
What will the exam be on?

I have only this to say -- never do it in any kind of formal writing. In colloquial speech, it is accepted and widely used, but in written materials, it creates the perception of an inability to write well or to choose strong verbs and sentence structures.

Here are each of the previous sentences with better phrasing:
When can you bring the kids to school?
She was the most courageous woman of whom I knew.
If they refuse to surrender, we'll be forced to breach.
Up is the only direction in which you can go.
What will the exam cover?

See Subjunctive Mood, retrieved from Wikipedia, 11 Oct. 2011.
​“Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing.”
― Arundhati Roy

“The only way to survive is to take care of each other.”
― Grace Lee Boggs

“every day is another chance to practice living out the values that matter most to us. to be our best selves. to be the legacy we want to leave.”
― Mia Mingus

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Ylanne
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Storyteller Beta Tester Builder Cult Leader Concierge Tipworthy Donated! Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Re: Brief Guide to Commonly Abused Verb Phrases

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Pseudosyne on Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:25 pm

To be frank, some of the "solutions" to the lingering prepositions that you provided sound much worse than their supposedly incorrect counterparts, in particular "She was the most courageous woman of whom I knew" and "Up is the only direction in which you can go." Using either of those in formal writing would actually draw attention to the sentence as being clunky and awkward, since the incorrect versions have arguably entered the lexicon as acceptable in formal writing as well. The incorrect versions definitely don't create the perception of an inability to write well; those versions may sometimes be more appropriate depending on the tone and style of the piece.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Pseudosyne
Scholar
Member for 16 years
Contributor Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Beta Tester Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:54 pm

Agree with Pseudosyne's point: A rural child would likely not go around saying "I am the grammarian about whom your mother warned you." There are times where incorrect grammar can make a more powerful statement than technically correct constructions.

Also on the subject of the subjunctive: It actually appears more often than we might think. In the famous R.I.P. inscription on headstones, the letters stand for the Latin phrase requiescat in pace. Literally translated, it reads "May he/she rest in peace." That "may" is the subjunctive mood at work.

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ylanne on Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:07 pm

No, I fully believe that dialogue should not conform necessarily to accepted grammatical standards. I am referring to prose, narrative, and formal writing, rather than writing inside of quotes marks -- what people are saying, that is to say.

Ylanne
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Storyteller Beta Tester Builder Cult Leader Concierge Tipworthy Donated! Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jag on Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:36 pm

Even then -- the voice of your writing should reflect the character and the message you want to convey. It's not about grammatical perfection, but rather using those words to convey the message, tone and emotions you want the reader to experience. If you slavishly commit to grammar as such that you're writing such technical sentences that, while correct, read like a stereo manual, it's going to ruin any effect the post might have otherwise had.

Jag
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Greeter Party Starter Contributor Concierge Tipworthy Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tea on Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:47 am

From an editor's perspective the power of word choice is the power of the composer to inflict their voice upon the reader. What Ylanne is presenting here in this thread with lingering prepositions is not precisely a question of Correct Versus Incorrect. It is an option between Good Versus Better. Personally, I believe that Ylanne's adherence to sound sentence structure is among the best advice to give to those who are inexperienced or struggling. The prose composers who know what they are doing will do what they want regardless of rules or established decorum.

Thanks go to Ylanne for assembling this brief guide. Cheers.

Tea
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!