Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Bronies: Let's Hear Everyone Thoughts

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

Bronies: Let's Hear Everyone Thoughts

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rulke on Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:01 am

Let's be clear this debate strangely enough is probably most volatile one I done. I'm not a brony, but I am curious to hear people explain why they are or what their thoughts are on this. Oh by the way anyone who flames anyone here will be reported.

What brought this on, I've been considering it, but this article from the Guardian made me wonder.

My Little Pony Fans, Rebels?

Note it's strangely more guys fan of the show, what does this suggest in your opinion?
We help the multi-nationals
when they cry out protect us.
The locals scream and shout a bit,
but we don’t let that affect us.
We’re here to lend a helping hand
in case they don’t elect us.
How dare they buy our products
yet still they don’t respect us.

Billy Bragg - The Marching Song Of The Covert Battalions

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Rulke
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Person of Interest Group Theory Cult Leader Greeter Lifegiver Tipworthy

Re: Bronies: Let's Hear Everyone Thoughts

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dealing with it on Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:42 am

They are perfecting the art of friendship. Learn from them.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

dealing with it
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 13 years
Contributor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Greeter Beta Tester Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jag on Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:22 pm

To each their own. If they enjoy the show, more power to them.

Jag
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Greeter Party Starter Contributor Concierge Tipworthy Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Patcharoo on Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:13 am

dealing with it wrote:They are perfecting the art of friendship. Learn from them.

I prefer Adventure Time.
Circ wrote:When I first joined RolePlayGateway, it was a place where positive conflict fostered creativity and friendships were formed rather than cliques. Honesty and transparency were valued, new people were incorporated into the community rather than judged based on what style of writing they preferred, and despite the youthfulness and zeal of the population there prevailed a reasonable degree of common sense.

Patcharoo
Legend
Legend
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Donated! Millionaire Arc Warden Beta Tester Contributor Group Theory Person of Interest Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby .Kyrian on Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:13 am

Maybe if these people focused on their studies/work they would get somewhere in life. Most Bronies I know are all but slackers. I know I am generalizing a large group of people but I'm human.
It is often said that writing is a lonely life, and for the most part such is true. Other jobs are just that, jobs, they start and they end at the same time each day, spinning onward in a cycle that is so monotonously cyclical. But writing, writing is a lifestyle, it is not merely a job but a passion, an occupation. Writing is not from 9 to 5, but from dawn to dawn, it spans that day and often spills over into the silent night, and it is a task that demands isolation, silence, and reflection.

- Kyrian

.Kyrian
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dealing with it on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:22 pm

I think that what they are learning should be taught in schools to end bullying.

dealing with it
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 13 years
Contributor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Greeter Beta Tester Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Colonel_Masters on Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:22 pm

Lol deal... i think you might be right about that! Bullies should be atleast forced to watch a few episodes of it each time they are in detention after being searched for any alternative means of entertainment and having anything of that nature confiscated.

Well I can't deny that i find this a bit creepy but i have never seen the show and i do not think that i ever intend to watch it so i can't really say.

And besides i still play with Lego bricks and i also happen collect some old British children programs such as the wombles, Noggin the Nog, bagpuss (a personal Favorite! :D), Children of the stones, Arthur of the Britons, doctor who (which started as a children's program and remained so during most of the original episodes, Michael Bentine's Potty Time and others including some more modern such as postman pat and Tomas the tank engine.

I think that many of these children's programs are a great artistic experience and can inspire and develop any mind for as long as it is a willing and open one, sadly most modern children tv sticks to the same old and boring formula of making the kids laugh at what a intentionally made stupid antagonist is doing and overusing falling on the banana type jokes. Like i said i have never seen the program and i do not intend to do so but if these people feel it inspires them then good for them.

I will admit that as a chap who is fairly conservative at first i intended to be negative about this habit but i soon saw that this thought was one brought about by what is considered to be the social norm.

as a greatly individualistic person who prides himself by what makes him different from other people and how he has been able to avoid being reduced into the sheep herd even after years of bullying i now tend to think along the lines of

To Hell With Society and I wish these people enrichment and achievement in their pursuit of happiness even if i personally would most likely never watch that show... i am just too conservative for that sort of thing XD

I mean as long as they don't develop a cult which drinks the blood of ponies and little girls or something what could be the harm? I would be more concerned about the social groups called goths and vampires then the brony's... scratch that i am far more concerned about fashion, popular culture and other social norms of this age!

Colonel_Masters
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby pepperx3 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:31 am

I think they're wonderful human beings teaching others the magic of friendship.

pepperx3
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Party Starter Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aniihya on Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:43 pm

I have to disagree since I have had the experience with shove it in your face bronies, bronies who falsely call themselves furries or other bronies who called me and friends of mine furfags. They learned nothing from the show, it is just a fad where they do not live up to what the show stands for. So honestly, screw the bronies.
Everybody! Unless you have been in a roleplay with me in the past and were loyal to it, do not PM or text me about joining your RP.

I do NOT do Pokemon, Yugioh, WoW or any such RPs.

Please be aware of this.

Aniihya
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Tipworthy Tipworthy Visual Appeal Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Chicka on Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:32 pm

I don't really feel that you can judge a group like that-- I have a brony cousin who's great, but there's also a brony in my English class who I do not have strong enough words for. They fall all over the spectrum.
"Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed." G.K. Chesterton

Chicka
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby kingkestrel on Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:47 pm

As long as they don't push their pony love in my face I'm fine with them. A few bronies I know are quite nice and friendly.

kingkestrel
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Grahf on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:23 pm

I like the show, but after meeting a few Bronies...I needed two showers to just feel clean again. For whatever reason the ones I have encountered seem to lack simple personal boundary respect and feel the need to turn anything and everything into some pun on horses.

Again, I like the show- it is what it is, a cartoon about ponies. They go on adventures and learn some lesson or other about being cool to each other...much like most children's cartoons of my day. Rocky and Bullwinkle had morals...they were strange and off topic, but they existed.

I simply do not understand the need to categorize themselves as 'Bronies'. All that does is invite scorn and ridicule. Just watch your cartoon and shut the fuck up.

Grahf
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Party Starter Greeter Concierge Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Marionette on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:51 am

Interesting that they picture a guy with a G3 pony in that article (Friendship is Magic is G4). Feel free to mock my lack of life now. :P

I like MLP:FiM as well as other generations of MLP and have experience with fans that consider themselves bronies and fans that don't. I just want to note that like any other fandom, it's a diverse collection of people, some of whom are decent folks and some of whom are not so decent. The latter tend to make a lot of noise, and yeah, I have definitely seen plenty of brony behavior that is totally out of line with the "love and tolerate" slogan. I don't know if I'd say it's the majority, but I think there's enough of it out there that I understand why people would be cautious. Still, there are a lot of nice, pleasant, creative folks that wear the brony label.

As for why brony makes sense as a term, you have to consider several things. First, in order to come together with other fans, sometimes it's useful to have a word for the group.

Second, society is highly gendered, and there is a prevailing attitude that guys shouldn't watch "girl stuff" (sometimes it works in reverse too, but there is sometimes a little more leniency when it comes to girls taking part in entertainment intended for guys). For whatever reason, girls are not considered a marketable audience, or not nearly as marketable as boys, and thus less animation aimed at girls is produced; it's usually not produced very thoughtfully when it is. MLP:FiM is an exception in that its writing quality is pretty high, so people of all ages and genders wound up liking it. Men (and all adults, since it's a children's cartoon) can meet with the backlash one would expect when liking a thing that is "for little girls!" Brony is sort of a succinct way of saying, "I don't care. I'm a guy, I like ponies, and a bunch of other guys do too." Of course, some women call themselves bronies as well (others might say "pegasister" or "sistahoof," but these seem to be less popular).

Aniihya- As for "bronies who will falsely call themselves furries," to be a furry is simply to consider oneself a member of the fur fandom, which can take many forms. There is no true way to be a furry. For the other stuff, yeah, bronies can be immature and rude, as any other group can be. The sheer size of the fandom sometimes makes it hard to escape.
RPs:
Spring Rain and Havoc | Witch's Diary | Winter Rose

Need RP advice? Feel free to PM me.

Marionette
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Inspiration on Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:13 am

pepperx3 wrote:I think they're wonderful human beings teaching others the magic of friendship.

Yes we are...yes we are.

Anyway, I watch and do enjoy the show, I don't remember every freaking episode and if you asked me "What happened on episode 3" I would stare at you with a blank face and just walk away. I have seem some other bronies at my school and they made me want to no longer be a brony and almost just stop watching the show all together.

Why do I watch the show? I find it fun and interesting, there are six mane (HAH PUN) characters which makes each episode different as I have yet to see a show that attempts to cover six characters in one episode.

Many of the other shows I watch that are based for children and teenagers don't do this.

One argument is if you call one of us 'gay' or something we flip out and drop an F-Bomb, this is true to some degree, I don't do it, I did it once to a person over Minecraft due to him constantly bugging me and talking mess, eventually it got out of hand and we both got banned for five minutes. (That was my 16th ban in that server...they loved me...Long story)

Adventure Time: Two main characters, everyone else is a groupie.
Regular Show: Two Main, one want-to-be-Antagonist

As for the trolling behind bronies I RARELY participate in it as it is extremely immature.

Do I still watch it?

Nope, too lazy, I'd rather go cry due to Angel Beat's last two episodes or go watch Pandora Hearts. Perhaps I'll get to it again once I finish my Crunchyroll Anime Queue.

What do I currently watch?

Anime, Walking Dead and Criminal Minds. If you currently asked me if I was a Brony I would most likely say no considering the general idea of a brony is a lazy person that 'clops' to ponies. Essentially the CollegeHumor video is the Brony Stereotype.

Edit: A Furry I know called bronies a wanna-be offshoot of furries, This lasted in a two hour debate that wound up having us hate each other, I don't consider us an offshoot of furries, then again it's quite hard to define a furry as has been said.

/) (\

Inspiration
Member for 15 years
Author World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Marionette on Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:45 am

Bronies definitely have a place in fur fandom -- it involves an interest in anthropomorphic animal characters, which is what furry is in its most basic form. But that doesn't mean all bronies have to consider themselves furries. I think that's all about whether you feel like you're a participant in that community. I like anthropomorphism on the whole, but I don't consider myself a furry, the same way I like MLP (a lot... do I dare photograph the pony shelf...) but don't consider myself a brony. It has nothing to do with the stigma associated with either term and everything to do with my level of interest and just not feeling like I'm an active part of the communities associated. They aren't part of my identity.

Marionette
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Inspiration on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:18 am

Marionette wrote:Bronies definitely have a place in fur fandom -- it involves an interest in anthropomorphic animal characters, which is what furry is in its most basic form. But that doesn't mean all bronies have to consider themselves furries. I think that's all about whether you feel like you're a participant in that community. I like anthropomorphism on the whole, but I don't consider myself a furry, the same way I like MLP (a lot... do I dare photograph the pony shelf...) but don't consider myself a brony. It has nothing to do with the stigma associated with either term and everything to do with my level of interest and just not feeling like I'm an active part of the communities associated. They aren't part of my identity.

@Bold: Pics or it didn't happen.

Ironically I don't have an interest in anthropomorphic animals at all, I just so happen to like the character personalties and the over all light heartedness of the show.

I mean, the only problem I have is when stubborn people associate one whole group of bronies as the whole fandom.

Example: People that assume all bronies run around saying "bronies are trolls that post pictures on forums of ponies with semi-funny captchas such as "Mods are ofline, post ponies."

I guess the old saying one apple spoils the bunch tends to be true in this day and age.

Inspiration
Member for 15 years
Author World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Marionette on Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:53 am

See, here's the thing. Although I enjoy MLP:FiM, I didn't like the toys that much! Didn't think they translated them to toy form that well, didn't like Hasbro's sheer drop in quality, and just kind of preferred the art style of previous gens all around. But I work in a toy store, so I just kept seeing them. And maybe they weren't so bad. Maybe they were kind of cute.

I was just going to get Fluttershy. Because I like Fluttershy. I swear-

*sigh*

More things I haven't shelved/have been too lazy to open. Mane Six! And a few fave G4s close up, versus my overall favorites (white G1, blue G3). I have almost every basic, single G4 there is plus some of the deluxes and sets. I try to draw the line at the big sets... mostly. =A=

Anyway! Yeah, I figure a lot of MLP fans don't have a general interest in anthropomorphic animals. It's just a well-written show (... mostly) that attracted a lot of people whether they're normally into that kind of thing or not. What I meant was that brony and furry have some overlap because both pertain to animals given human characteristics, but they're not exactly the same thing, and not everybody who is one is gonna be the other.

Marionette
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sergeant on Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:54 am

It's their choice to watch whatever they want; It's just more of a personal thing to me because I used to play with the little pony toys when they were first made (and I was tiny). The target audience is little girls and I just can't get myself past that :T

But if you enjoy the show, good for you, and don't go shoving pony art in everyone's faces. They might not enjoy seeing their favourite characters ponified.

My roleplay Cursed: The New Toys Is open and in need of characters!

Sergeant
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Bosch on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:25 pm

I'm all for personal choice and embracing new things but where I come from this kind of behaviour would earn you a swift beating. Sure it might be a gender stereotype thing but my beef is more with adults watching kids stuff. Like what happened to drinking scotch in the day, wearing a suit and tie and generally TCB? That's not a gender thing that's an adult thing.

As for wanting to be nice to people, beer does that way better and your parents won't be disappointed when they see your picture on the mantel.

I guess its just part of this generation having extended childhoods then again we're all going to wind up working for about five years after we're dead thanks to those damned baby boomers fudging up the economy, so I guess take it while you can.

Bosch
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Arc Warden Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Marionette on Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:24 pm

The idea that animation has to just be for kids or, perhaps more apt in this case, that kid-appropriate entertainment shouldn't be enjoyed by adults too regardless of the quality of the series rather irks me. I'll defend animation as art to the death. What MLP:FiM lacks in animation quality (palette-swapping galore combined with tons of continuity and animation errors) it generally makes up for in writing. It may not be to everyone's taste, and that's fine, but "kid stuff" can be surprisingly intelligent. Belittling people for their tastes is uncool, and anyone who'd give a "swift beating" to anyone for something as shallow as their choice of entertainment is scum in my book.

I will admit that actually collecting the ponies (and the dolls and everything else) is a bit silly. I'm less touchy about that. :v But toy collection is just a hobby I enjoy. Everybody has to have something. Working where I do, I've spoken to an older dude who collected Transformers because stress was adversely affecting his health to the point that his doctor told him he needed to do something to relieve it, and he couldn't fish (a respectable adult hobby!) year 'round. So he started collecting Transformers, and it helped him. He seemed to feel a need to explain himself to me as I helped him look for a certain one; I'm sure he gets a lot of reactions for doing something primarily intended for children. It didn't matter, though, because not only did he enjoy it, it had a measured positive effect on his life.

Also, beer tastes awful, damages your liver in excess, affects your critical thinking abilities, and doesn't make everyone so nice. :P

Marionette
Member for 15 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!